X -Where Twitter goes to die.

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Twitter

Post by bill_g »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:32 pm waDNR Tweet.jpg

Tweet from the actual Washington State Department of Natural Resources. Somebody has a great sense of humor. :biggrin:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I think there is at least a one in seventeen thousand chance some of these are by disgruntled former Twitter employees.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

bill_g wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:58 am Elon's Blue Check program worked about as well as a turd in a spacesuit.
AS EVERYONE AND HER UNBORN COUSINS REALIZED IMMEDIATELY but Elon is smarter than all of us. This was his plan all along. He’s going to have his X, the rest of the world be damned.

I was a manager at crown books in Mannassass VA at one time in my life. Crown was owned by Bobby Haft. He was in the same class at HBS as the scion of the Barnes and Noble bookstore in NYC which hadn’t expanded yet. The two millionaire boys had a competition to see who could bring their discount bookstore dream to fruition first. Bobby, whose Daddy Herbert (the Blue Weasel) owned the Dart drug stores - and all the shopping centers they were in, that was his genius - so Bobby got started first cuz he had many locations to choose from with free rent.

Bobby wasn’t a book guy. He hired great managers away from some of the biggest bookstores like B Dalton but made them implement his shitty ideas, not their good ones. “Shut up and do it.” We heard that a lot.

Most of the good people left Crown after a year. He expanded willy nilly, always into his daddy’s shopping centers, and targeted the successful independent booksellers in the ‘burbs, putting his stores within a few blocks of them. (I worked there partly because he targeted Book’n’Friends, where I worked, then offered us jobs when it went tits up because of him) This was back when people still bought books, mind you.
Crown was gone within 20 years; Barnes&Noble stuck it out until the internets gobbled their customers up. You can still find B&N stores. But not real Crown stores.

Elon is Bobby Haft. He has no idea what he’s doing but he’s still smarter than everyone else. Shut up and do it.
bill_g

Twitter

Post by bill_g »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:50 pm
bill_g wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:58 am Elon's Blue Check program worked about as well as a turd in a spacesuit.
AS EVERYONE AND HER UNBORN COUSINS REALIZED IMMEDIATELY but Elon is smarter than all of us. This was his plan all along. He’s going to have his X, the rest of the world be damned.

(snippity snip)

Elon is Bobby Haft. He has no idea what he’s doing but he’s still smarter than everyone else. Shut up and do it.
Like I said, just cuz you're smart don't mean you ain't stupid. And money don't fix stupid, though it does mean you can be stupider longerer.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lol:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

:popcorn:

The Guardian@guardian
Twitter blue check unavailable after imposter accounts erupt on platform
► Show Spoiler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

His two year old son is named X Æ A-12.

That's funny, I named my cat X Æ A-13.

Well, just now I did. :oopsy:

Kitty, kitty, kitty.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
chancery
Verified:

Twitter

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/laurenweinstein/sta ... 1247327233
Lauren Weinstein
@laurenweinstein
Twitter puts a "may be unsafe link" interstitial on a one word article called "What Elon Musk Is Doing Right at Twitter" -- the one word is "Nothing." https://mediaite.com/opinion/what-elon- ... t-twitter/
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Twitter

Post by keith »

Seen recently on a Twitter thread about the Ukraine war:
The Russian front in Kherson is collapsing faster than Twitter
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Twitter

Post by Ben-Prime »

Okay, I did the thing.

I am now @bdp501@mastodon.sdf.org

I went with that one because they are run by SDF, which has provided free Unix shell accounts in support of my online MU*ing hobby since at least the 90s. So I am showing the love. May even donate for some financial support in the near future (I'm waiting until December to see if we get a new budget, since I'm an essential worker as far as the State Department is concerned and working for free if we go over a budget cliff and then getting paid back later once the stand-off is resolved is now how I have to roll).
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

I don't understand the mastodon server thing and if you can communicate with those on other servers.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Kriselda Gray »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:27 am I don't understand the mastodon server thing and if you can communicate with those on other servers.
Yes, you can communicate with anyone on any server. The server you pick is kind of your home base. There are servers covering a LOT of different interests. Once you get signed up for one, you can filter messages so you only see messages from your home server, most of which will likely focus on that interest, or you can opt to see messages fr9m all federated servers, which is everybody. You can also set your client to show columns, so you can have a column of your home messages and next to it the column for everybody. I'm sure there are other options for how to sort messages, but that's as far as I've gotten so far. There are also different apps you can get that may have other options as well.

I was worried it was all going to be too confusing before I signed up, but its really been easy to figure stuff out and people are really helpful! So far I'm really enjoying it a lot!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Slim Cognito »

That made me lol.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

This "power to the people" thing: Musk seems to have thought the blue checks make you important, vs. if you're important enough you get a blue check so people know it's genuinely thoughts from an important person. Is he that stupid? I mean...
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

I saw a tweet from Dave Troy who tends to be an alarmist but also an Op Ed from Catherine Rampell in the WaPo. Both were saying the same thing in different tones of alarm, but tones of alarm nonetheless: A global recession would be so much easier to facilitate if the global means of communication are gone.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

It has occurred to me that the Saudis might be very interested in destroying international communication about now.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Volkonski »

Elon Musk culls Twitter contractors after mass employee layoffs

https://www.axios.com/2022/11/13/elon-m ... or-layoffs
Why it matters: Like many companies, Twitter's staff is made up of a mix of full-time employees as well as contract workers who work for a third party.

Details: Twitter has cut an unspecified number of contractors in various fields, including content moderation, sources confirmed to Axios.

Many contractors' status has been in limbo since Twitter cut half its staff earlier this month, with some not knowing whom to even report to, since their counterparts inside the company have been laid off.

Now some worry about their final paychecks since their teams no longer have any full-time Twitter employees to sign off on their time cards, sources tell Axios.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g

Twitter

Post by bill_g »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

bill_g wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:05 pm
Do they also have an aftermarket product to remove the Verified sticker from screens? :twisted:
bill_g

Twitter

Post by bill_g »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:30 pm
bill_g wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:05 pm
Do they also have an aftermarket product to remove the Verified sticker from screens? :twisted:
Just use some White-out.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Twitter

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Twitter

Post by bill_g »

For those concerned about the mess Wite-Out might make, it now comes in clear!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bill_g wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:49 am For those concerned about the mess Wite-Out might make, it now comes in clear!
What on earth would you use clear Wite-Out for?
bill_g

Twitter

Post by bill_g »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:57 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:49 am For those concerned about the mess Wite-Out might make, it now comes in clear!
What on earth would you use clear Wite-Out for?
Oh, you're gonna hate me ....

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”