Hijack This Thread

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Hijack This Thread

Post by Frater I*I »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:48 pm CA foglawyers, I need help with voting for judiciary. Why is it so hard to Google recommendations? There are 16 offices to be filled! How are we supposed to choose carefully?
A clock with a second hand...

When it's between 12 and 6, vote for the first person, between 6 and 12 the second....

Never fails ya...

Or am I just thinking about military tests... :confuzzled:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Are you electing them? Or confirm8ng them

In Arizona where they are confirmed, there is a rating system where lawyers, other judges, and participants rate them.

Im on mobile now and can barely type let along locate the page for you as demo.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:55 pm Are you electing them? Or confirm8ng them

In Arizona where they are confirmed, there is a rating system where lawyers, other judges, and participants rate them.

Im on mobile now and can barely type let along locate the page for you as demo.
Edit try googling state judge rating or judicial review or similar.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Thanks Keith! Googling ‘Ca judicial review’ got what I needed.
These kinds of votes have been on Californian’s ballots since the 1930s, but they often get very little attention. They’re part of a hybrid appointment and election system for judges that a recent Stanford Law School study asserted “has performed without fanfare or controversy.” :snippity: “The main part of the process involves the governor submitting names of potential appointees to be vetted by a judicial commission. After the vetting, the governor makes appointments, which a second commission must then review and confirm. If the second commission gives the nominees a green light, they’re appointed to the bench.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... ?_amp=true

The way I figure it….If they’re twice-vetted and not in the headlines, yes is a safe vote.
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:48 pm CA foglawyers, I need help with voting for judiciary. Why is it so hard to Google recommendations? There are 16 offices to be filled! How are we supposed to choose carefully?
There are legal watchdogs here who post all the ratings plus any controversies, incidents, etc. Took me an hour (partly because of good stories) but I was better informed. Your area must have something like that.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Yikes!

AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Certainly looks like some photoshop work with the bicycle-- it's exactly the same in the 1st and 3rd picture.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:confuzzled:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Oh. I agree there is a high probability the pictures are all PS magic. The greatest proof is how high the bike was tossed into the tree. And then the miraculous recovery of said bike. But, it is still a retelling of the Golden Rule. It's a reality based Bible parable.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

vnkyagj11ex91.jpg
vnkyagj11ex91.jpg (44.36 KiB) Viewed 816 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

I have no idea where I saw this, but I think I read recently that if women were vaccinated against it in pregnancy, it cut considerably the risk to the baby after birth.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

The newest Americans of Conscience post with Good News.

https://americansofconscience.com/11-04-2022/?#gf_903
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Azastan
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Azastan »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:31 pm I have no idea where I saw this, but I think I read recently that if women were vaccinated against it in pregnancy, it cut considerably the risk to the baby after birth.
https://www.novavax.com/science-technol ... -virus-rsv
There are currently no vaccines approved for immunization against RSV in either adults or children. Because infants are usually exposed to RSV at a very young age, a vaccine would need to be given soon after birth when the immune system is not yet mature.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Azastan wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:31 am
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:31 pm I have no idea where I saw this, but I think I read recently that if women were vaccinated against it in pregnancy, it cut considerably the risk to the baby after birth.
https://www.novavax.com/science-technol ... -virus-rsv
There are currently no vaccines approved for immunization against RSV in either adults or children. Because infants are usually exposed to RSV at a very young age, a vaccine would need to be given soon after birth when the immune system is not yet mature.
Thanks. I wasn't sure that I had seen this. I'll have to look further, as it could have been another vaccine--or not.
lunaluz

Hijack This Thread

Post by lunaluz »

NPR ran that story on Morning Edition on Thursday and so did my local right leaning FM station out here KIRO news.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Once upon a couple decades ago, I had two babies hospitalized with RSV, one at 4 weeks and one at 10 days. Scary stuff. I don't recall there being a vax then, at least not in widespread enough use that we were offered it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

Remember remember the 5th of November the gunpowder treason and plot, I can think of no reason the gun powder treason should ever be forgot.... Happy Guy Fawkes day!
► Show Spoiler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/1 ... people-are
How f—ing stupid does the Air Force Academy think people are?

On October 30, the Air Force Academy men’s soccer team had a home game against Seattle University. This being the last home game for the Air Force Academy players who are seniors, a banner was put up below the scoreboard with each of the seniors’ jersey numbers on it. The players’ numbers were 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 9,11,12,15, and 16, and you think they would have appeared on the banner in that order, right? Wrong! All of the numbers were in numerical order except for the 3. The 3 was place in between the 15 and the 16, making the banner end with 3 16, which as many people will remember from Tim Tebow’s short-lived football career means John 3:16, the sports world’s favorite Bible verse — “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting

And now, albeit not in as flashy a manner as a guy jumping around in a rainbow wig, we have the ever-Christian-supremacist U.S. Air Force Academy sneaking it in on a soccer game banner, seen not just by those attending the game but also all those viewing it online.

Immediately after the game, the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) received a number of emails pointing out this slick bit of Christian proselytizing by the Academy’s soccer team, and MRFF founder and president fired off an email to the Academy’s superintendent Lieutenant General Richard M. Clark, who was present at the game and certainly saw the banner, demanding an investigation.

"There was no significance to the order of the senior jersey numbers posted in the soccer stadium during last weekend’s men’s soccer game. The intent was to recognize the 10 seniors playing in their last home game. Recognition was conducted in a pregame ceremony with the players and their families and with two banners inside the soccer stadium highlighting their jersey numbers (1,2,3,6,8,9,11,12,15,16). The numbers were to be printed sequentially and attached to each banner. After completing the first banner, our staff recognized that the number three was missing. To correct the oversight, the number three was added to the second banner out of sequential order – it was done simply to insure the player was represented as one of the ten seniors.

"Again, the only intent behind the banners was to celebrate the senior cadets at their final home soccer game."

Advisory Board Member Marty France, a retired Air Force brigadier general and former professor and department head at the Academy, called this absurd lie out for what it is, also noting that this is just the latest in a string of Christian supremacist actions by the Academy — following on the heels of August’s “Spiritual Fitness Month” and the Academy’s scheduling the most important training day of the semester on the Jewish high holy day of Yom Kippur, another of the Academy’s so-called “oversights” for which three United States senators are now demanding answers.
John316-far.jpg
John316-far.jpg (41.45 KiB) Viewed 632 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Pretty stupid, but they thought they were pretty smart.
pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:25 pm
A clock with a second hand...

When it's between 12 and 6, vote for the first person, between 6 and 12 the second....

Never fails ya...

Or am I just thinking about military tests... :confuzzled:
Or, maybe use something other than google ………I’ve gotten curious results on some google searches.
I’m a google fan but there seems to be some partisan politics in play on some of my search results.
pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

Welfare recipients in more than 35 states currently get paid more than a minimum wage job, according to a study by the libertarian Cato Institute.

And in what may come as a surprise to many, welfare recipients in 12 states and Washington, D.C., get paid more than $15 per hour, more than twice the national minimum wage.

The study, co-authored by Michael Tanner, a senior policy analyst for Cato, maintained that, "the current welfare system provides such a high level of benefits that it acts as a disincentive for work."

More Hispanic families and children are currently on welfare in the United States than from any other group.

According to the Office of Family Assistance, within the federal Health and Human Services Department, the percentage of Hispanic families on Temporary Assistance For Needy Families, or cash assistance, has increased since 2004, from 24 percent to 30 percent in 2010. However, the percentage of White and African American families on TANF has decreased.

There were a total of 1.8 million families on TANF in 2010. Of the 3.3 million children being supported by the program, 35 percent are Hispanic.

The institute tallied a state-by-state view of the value of welfare for a mother with two children receiving benefits from federal programs including: TANF, Medicaid, food stamps, Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program, public housing, utility assistance, Medicaid and free commodities.

Hawaii offers recipients the most generous pre-tax annual package at $60,590, followed by the District of Columbia at $50,820. Idaho offered the least amount of benefits -- tallying $11,150. Florida and Texas also ranked at the bottom, offering $12,600 and $12,550 respectfully.

The report found that welfare benefits pay more than the average pre-tax first year wage for a teacher and in 39 states, they cover more than the starting wage for a secretary.

The study argued that Congress and state legislatures should strengthen welfare work requirements by limiting the list of activities that qualify as work and reduce the benefit packages.
https://www.foxnews.com/world/cato-inst ... zen-states

Return to “General Stuff”