Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
chancery
Verified:

Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Post by chancery »

Does anyone have a link to the transcript of the September 1 hearing before Judge Cannon? I might have seen some a few weeks ago, but all I can find now is this youtube video from Meidastouch of a guy reading excerpts.

TIA

Edit: never mind, I found a link in a Daily Beast article: https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... script.pdf

(Also noticed that I'd already downloaded the transcript weeks ago. :bag: )
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

chancery wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:51 pm
Further, Plaintiff plainly would not be entitled to the return of evidence solely on the ground that the evidence belonged to him when it was seized. If that were the case, evidence rooms nationwide would soon be emptied.
DOJ Brief at 47. :kickface:
This brief contains so much knees to the face that I think TFG is missing the obvious grounds of suing for brutality. :biggrin:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:33 pm I posted this elsewhere, and while I fully admit that it is more conspiracy oriented than I am comfortable with, I simply can't come up with a better explanation to the question:

"Why is Trump's legal team so desperate to review the classified documents recovered from Mar-a-lago?"

IMO, While Trump may have a general idea what documents he has, he doesn't have the exact details of project numbers, code names, document dates, etc. Also,
None of these documents were actually declassified while Trump was in office.

Are Trump's people that desperate and arrogant that they think that they can get away with creating fake witness statents or even fake Declassification memos?

I can see no other viable reason here.
I don't think that his lawyers would fall for the inherent trap. If those memos to declassify actually existed, they would already be among all paperwork at NARA, more or less in chronological proper locations of issue date. If he claims he kept them back for whatever reason, that's where he falls deep into the deep dodo, he had thru his laywers declared that he had no further documents. By suddenly presenting more, he would open up the opportunity for the DOJ to search his other premises. Apart I assume that a forensic analysis would show that all memos were made within the same time, paper not aged, ink not detoriated same.

Also too, declassification of documents is not a mere statement by impotus, it's a process that goes thru a office set up to do exactly that. Prior to formal reclassification or declassification all stakeholders within the administration who may have an interest to keep portions still hidden can submit comments. Next the office painstakingly works thru each copy of the document and applies the new classification level on the pages. There have in the past been a few FOIA request to this office for copies of a presidential memo ordering declassification, all requests were answered with "no responding papers".
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

chancery wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:51 pm Unfortunately, Trump's argument is not completely without force, because as president he wasn't subject to the classification rules, and it's completely unexplored ground the extent to which a president could use that immunity and other presidential powers to create poison pills to hamper subsequent administrations.
Yes, we should avoid electing presidents who couldn't possibly obtain a national security clearance.

The DOJ brief is excellent, as expected, and the beautiful thing about it is, if there is no jurisdiction, then Judge Cannon had no authority to act in the first place, and the 11th Circuit ALREADY SAID there's no jurisdiction, because the FBI didn't treat the former president with "callous disregard". So that kind of answers the jurisdiction question.

Although I am, actually, somewhat disappointed that the FBI didn't treat him with callous disregard. I don't know what's wrong with those people. Of course they should treat the bastid with callous disregard, he fucking stole national secrets! I don't know what they were thinking over there. :nope:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

Foggy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:13 am
Although I am, actually, somewhat disappointed that the FBI didn't treat him with callous disregard. I don't know what's wrong with those people. Of course they should treat the bastid with callous disregard, he fucking stole national secrets! I don't know what they were thinking over there. :nope:
Hell, I'd settle for casual or even caring disregard.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:00 am Hell, I'd settle for casual or even caring disregard.
And that's why you're in the diplomatic service!
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

On the other hand, if there are only 21,000 pages of documents and the vast majority of those are newspaper clippings, then the Special Master review should be finished before the 11th rules.
much ado

Post by much ado »

I think the "good stuff" is in Trump Tower.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

much ado wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:31 pm I think the "good stuff" is in Trump Tower.
:yeahthat:

I've been wondering why they haven't already searched there too, also.
realist

Post by realist »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:59 pm
much ado wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:31 pm I think the "good stuff" is in Trump Tower.
:yeahthat:

I've been wondering why they haven't already searched there too, also.
Probably cause is more than "we think."
They apparently don't have probably cause for a warrant (yet) for the other locations.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

keith wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:08 am
Chilidog wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:43 pm Ok have also posted this on Facebook.

:snippity:
Yeah, I've used similar wording on an other site. Pretty much shut them up too, also.

The only thing I said that you didn't was that even if somehow a magic declassifying wand was used, those documents are STILL the property of the US Government and need to be under the control of NARA and that willingly lying to NARA and purposely hiding them is THEFT.
I like to post "Imaginary declassification only exists in the imagination of the imaginer"

Bonus points for anyone who regonizes where I got that little watermelon from.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

The watermelony mind of a watermeloner? :think:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

realist wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:05 pm :snippity:
They apparently don't have probably cause for a warrant (yet) for the other locations.
But...but...but... Wouldn't what was found at his estate in Fla. be probable cause that there would likely be more of the same there? IANAL but that would make sense to me :oldlady:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, difference between "probable cause" and "extremely likely" is, PC requires evidence. Actual evidence suggesting there are documents in a specific location.

:(
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Example: My client had a swastika tattoo on his arm (among others) and wore greasy leather and denim only, with filthy boots, and if a cop saw him walking down the road the cop KNEW he was committing, or was just about to commit, a crime. He was, too. My client once scoffed at silly misdemeanors, he's a felony kinda guy.

But appearance is not enough, unless there's a weapon in his hand. 'Course, the cops would roust him anyway, they were there to stop crime and he was a criminal.

But legally ... :lol:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Foggy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:13 pm The watermelony mind of a watermeloner? :think:
Surpringly close.
► Show Spoiler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:22 pm
realist wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:05 pm :snippity:
But...but...but... Wouldn't what was found at his estate in Fla. be probable cause that there would likely be more of the same there? IANAL but that would make sense to me :oldlady:
No. They have to prove that it is more likely than not that the evidence they’re looking for will be found in the place that they search. The fact that other evidence was found in some other place won’t be enough. They’ll need someone to tell law enforcement what was in those boxes taken to Bedminster, for example.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:56 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:00 am Hell, I'd settle for casual or even caring disregard.
And that's why you're in the diplomatic service!
It's funny because it's true. :mrgreen: Actually had a conversation the other day with a colleague in which the topic of a well-known and not-very-well-liked person with whom I used to serve came up. I was ... kind about some of the good things he had done, and the other fellow just looked at me for a long moment and said "You clearly work for some kind of organization which prizes diplomacy or something." :)

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

crosspost
Chris Christie says Trump kept classified documents as a ‘trophy’

Julia Mueller
Sun, October 16, 2022 at 7:11 PM

Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) on Sunday said former President Trump kept classified documents “as a trophy” in regards to an FBI search of Mar-a-Lago where authorities seized troves of White House materials with various classified markings.

“He wanted to keep these documents as a trophy. That’s what they were, more than anything,” Christie, and ABC News contributor and former Trump adviser, said on “This Week,” referring to over 100 classified documents and dozens of empty folders labeled classified found at Trump’s property.

Christie dismissed the suggestion that Trump kept the documents in his possession for leverage.

“I think it’s much more likely they’re a trophy that he walks around and says, ‘Look, I’ve got this. I’ve got this classified document or that,’ because remember something, he can’t believe he’s not president,” Christie said.

“He can’t believe he still doesn’t get these documents, and he needs to display to everybody down at Mar-a-Lago or up in Bedminster during the summer he still has some of those trappings. The replica Resolute Desk in Mar-a-Lago and all the rest of those things are things that are assuaging, you know, his disappointment and his disbelief that he’s not the president anymore.”

https://news.yahoo.com/chris-christie-s ... 45641.html
(original TheHill)
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Don't you just hate it when Chris Christie makes sense?
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

The video

In trying to excuse Trump he makes it worse essentially saying Trump was showing classified documents to guests at MAL
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:00 am
Foggy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:13 am
Hell, I'd settle for casual or even caring disregard.
I’d opt for Nicolae Ceaușescu level of disregard.

But then again I drive a meat truck so I’m probably a tad jaded.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:45 pm Don't you just hate it when Chris Christie makes sense?
Yep. It makes total sense.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”