Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Oh ... umm ... about that wine ... :oopsy:

She gave it to me. :biggrin:

And it was her birthday party, so I drank half of it. MN-Skeptic, come on over and I'll share the other half with you. :lovestruck: Ol' Wifehorn wants to meet you, too also.

Half a bottle of wine is a little less than what I drank every night for the final few years of my nightly drinking. I thought that was healthier than a pint of Scotch every night. :oopsy:

But the other half of this bottle will still be around at Christmastime. Unless MN-Skeptic manages to visit Raleigh, of course. ;)
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Gupwalla

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Gupwalla »

Lesser vintages are a good choice for sangria, and sangria is a good choice for a holiday belly-warmer. At least here in Texas.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I never did drink much sangria, and I have 2 to 5 drinks per year now.

Yesterday morning I drove to Wilmington and back to bring Numbah Two Son home for his mother's birthday party last night. This morning I drove him home again, and drove myself back to Rawly, which means ... 141 miles one way ...

Five hundred sixty four miles driving (907.7 kilometers) in 32 hours. With a break for the party and some sleep and stuff.

I think I'll rest a bit. :batting:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

My new Australian wool blanket. The herringbone pattern is the Australian sheep's natural camouflage - it makes the drop bears dizzy, so they don't fall in the right spot. 😁

Very tricky.

FB_IMG_1665788327071.jpg
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:01 pm My new Australian wool blanket. The herringbone pattern is the Australian sheep's natural camouflage - it makes the drop bears dizzy, so they don't fall in the right spot. 😁

Very tricky.
More evidence of Intelligent Design :biggrin:
Gupwalla

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Gupwalla »

Foggy wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:01 pm My new Australian wool blanket. The herringbone pattern is the Australian sheep's natural camouflage - it makes the drop bears dizzy, so they don't fall in the right spot. 😁
But where is the pocket?

Even my five-year old relations (and maybe especially them) know that Australian animals have pockets on their bellies.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:29 am Oh ... umm ... about that wine ... :oopsy:

She gave it to me. :biggrin:

And it was her birthday party, so I drank half of it. MN-Skeptic, come on over and I'll share the other half with you. :lovestruck: Ol' Wifehorn wants to meet you, too also.

Half a bottle of wine is a little less than what I drank every night for the final few years of my nightly drinking. I thought that was healthier than a pint of Scotch every night. :oopsy:

But the other half of this bottle will still be around at Christmastime. Unless MN-Skeptic manages to visit Raleigh, of course. ;)
Of course, that half bottle will be undrinkable in a week (if it isn't already), let alone by Christmastime.

Here's a much better use of that bottle. You might want to cut the recipe in half if you've only got the half-bottle left.

Slow cooker beef bourguignon
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by RTH10260 »

;) if you don't mind canibalistic rituals

Coq Au Vin
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I came in from getting the trash bins back, remember our driveway is 100 meters, so it takes a minute or so.

Ol' Wifehorn: "Call your dad, I was talking to him on my phone and it just died right in the middle of our conversation, I don't know why."

I call my dad.

Me: "Ol' Wifehorn told me to call you so she can finish the conversation."

Ol' Wifehorn (to my dad): "Yeah, my phone suddenly said I had five minutes left, but I didn't know what it was about so I just ignored it."

... and was pissed when the five minutes ran out, right in the middle of a phone call!!

Is it any wonder all mah hair fell out? :nope:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by RTH10260 »

Remember the phone booth of yesteryear? Keep your nickels handy ;)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

She got off the phone. My phone.

She said she was sure she charged her phone up this morning.

So it wasn't that she didn't understand the message.

It wasn't that she thought it was a practical joke. Even smart phones aren't really known for their sense of humor.

But she decided that she didn't believe it. "I charged it up!" :oldlady:

She literally said, a couple of times, that she knew what it meant but she didn't believe it.

And let's be honest, that means she decided, amazingly enough, that her smartphone was lying to her.

Maybe it was a practical joke after all. :think:

Maybe she needs a phone that won't play games like that. :mad:
humblescribe
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by humblescribe »

You could always invest in one of these, Foggy:
phone.jpg
phone.jpg (51.85 KiB) Viewed 552 times
That magneto always works, and never needs recharging.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

And now the time has come ...

Empty nesterhood is working for both of us, but today is the start of Open Enrollment for Under 65 in the ACA, and we're going to have to go to work. Well, not actually leaving the house, and together, of course. That is as it should be.

But we will be occupied most of the working day, and my participation here will ... where am I, again? :confuzzled:

I'll still read everything. And watch for new members. And do weekly maintenance chores. And ... okay, maybe nothing will change.

One week from today isn't just the midterm election, peeps.

It's also the day we semi-officially celebrate the Earth's population (of Earthlings) reaching 8 BILLION WITH A B.

So we got that goin' for us ...
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Foggy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:09 amOne week from today isn't just the midterm election, peeps.

It's also the day we semi-officially celebrate the Earth's population (of Earthlings) reaching 8 BILLION WITH A B.
I've been following demographics for a few months now at work. I note that the global population growth rate has been declining steadily according to UN and World Bank data. They're predicting it goes negative in 2080 or thereabouts, but most people that do this kind of work think their numbers are too high.

The birth rate in most of the world is plummeting and is significantly below replacement in many regions. So the main factor keeping population growth in positive territory right now is the huge wave of oldsters that got the benefits of all the vaccines and antibiotics that were developed after WWII and who are riding the wave of increased life expectancy. But that wave will pass in the next 20 years and we'll see shrinkage, which is likely to continue as long as the wave of urbanization continues. There's no indication that urbanization will stop, even though we are seeing a bump in the number of high end knowledge workers in G-7 countries who can work remotely and live anywhere. As we move towards a service economy globally, you have to urbanize because that's how you accumulate enough customers to run a service business.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:38 am
Foggy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:09 amOne week from today isn't just the midterm election, peeps.

I've been following demographics for a few months now at work. I note that the global population growth rate has been declining steadily according to UN and World Bank data. They're predicting it goes negative in 2080 or thereabouts, but most people that do this kind of work think their numbers are too high.
https://www.worldometers.info/world-pop ... n-by-year/

I remember being a wee-lad and learning that the population was 4 BILLION WITH A B. I could not wrap my heard around that number.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

In 2080 I'll only be 127 years old, turning 128 in mid-December. I'll still be running Fogbow.

'Course, by then, world population might be down in the millions, or even fewer. I expect some incredible cataclysmic tragedies, beginning with climate change. But war and collisions with astronomical bodies and plagues of frogs are also highly likely, except the frogs. My staff informs me that actual plagues of frogs are pretty rare.

But hay ... I survived George W. Bush. I survived Donald J. Trump (thus far). I survived the pandemic of 2020 - 22. I survived a brutal childhood with a violent alcoholic mother and a mostly absent father in the US Navy, and a number of close calls as a wild and crazy teenager, and I'm still here mutterin' and putterin'. I've had guns pointed at me. I've almost fallen off a cliff I shouldn't have been climbing without equipment. I have driven across the country in 6 days and hitchhiked across the country in 4 days. I lived at a nude beach for the entire summer of 1973 with a bunch of hippies and bikers, when I was 20. I went down a rope 180' into a cave without touching the sides of the cave, and climbed back up. I'm hard to kill, or I'd have been gone a long, long time ago.

So I'll still be around in 2080, and we'll see what the experts have to say then. :smoking:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by keith »

So you are saying that you are a cockroach?

I suspect that is not right.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

When I was 5 and in the service, Donald Trump taught me how to wear a military uniform. Actual photo from 1958. That hat looks okay.

militaryme.PNG
Apparently, my right arm was considerably longer than the left. :?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

As noted, my shoulders have really been bothering me, and ol' Wifehorn found a seminar by some folks (including an MPT, which is master's degree in physical therapy), so I'm heading down there in half an hour. It might could be some sort of scam; they're pretty hard-sell, and the dude has sent me three emails since I signed up, assuring me that he's holding "a seat just for you". I guess they get a lot of senile or semi-senile folks, so I'll be patient and tolerant, at least until I figure out what the deal is.

Hey, they say they fix rotator cuff problems, and I have rotator cuff problems that need some fixin'.

So we'll just have to see. :smoking:
qbawl

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by qbawl »

Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:16 pm When I was 5 and in the service, Donald Trump taught me how to wear a military uniform. Actual photo from 1958. That hat looks okay.

:snippity: :snippity:

Apparently, my right arm was considerably longer than the left. :?
Gig line is a bit off also.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I was five. :lol:

Further affiant sayeth naught.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:25 pm
Hey, they say they fix rotator cuff problems, and I have rotator cuff problems that need some fixin'.
Say, if they have any decent, sharablele advice on dealing with rotator cuff problems, would you mind posting them? If you'd rather not, no worries! I just figured it couldn't hurt to ask :mrgreen:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

It's not a scam. I'm about 90% I'm gonna let this guy work on me and see what happens. He won't make the shoulders worse, and he might make them better.

The theory is that shoulder pain can be caused by tension in other parts of the body. He had me do a couple things, and I got a little more range of motion, but not anything close to normal.

I have to run it by my niece Katherine, the PhD physical therapist in Seattle. But when I told the dude that I was going to do that, he was not dismayed, he said tell her the name of the program (Total Motion Release) because they have a big presence in Seattle.

And my arms still hurt, but I'm gonna try to do weightlifting class this morning with very light weight on my bar, because I rested for a week and if I don't move my bones I will turn into a tapioca pudding and you can pour me into a bowl.

And I can do squats and lunges all day, no shoulders necessary. 8-)
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Glad to hear it's not a scam! It doesn't sound like anything that would work for me, though, since it sounds like you have to go into their office.

I hope it helps you a lot!!!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”