Hijack This Thread

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

I got to go up with my older boys once. We were in line and my oldest was wearing Beavis and Butthead shirt where they were looking under the Statue of Liberty's dress. The workers got such a kick out of it, they hooked us up with passes. A magical afternoon. Involving a lot of stairs.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
qbawl

Hijack This Thread

Post by qbawl »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:01 pm :thumbsup:

I went up in that many years ago. Good thing I did it then, because later the fear of heights kicked in. I'd never do it now.
When stationed at Ft. Lee Va. (I wonder what the new name will be) I ran (? well sorta) to the top with some buds. That was about 1964-5. Probably have to stop and rest twice to make it to the base these days.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

pjhimself wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:46 am [Tulsi quits Democrats]
You know Wonkette gets the last funniest word
No point in worrying about shit you can't control, save that energy for the stuff you can. - Evan Currie
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Hijack This Thread

Post by Greatgrey »

Yeah, 18 tires is too much. We can get by with 17.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

Hey, stuff happens..
BELCHERTOWN - An internal military report says that C-5 cargo planes like the one that shed two wheels while airborne over Western Massachusetts earlier this year have experienced similar problems.

The report obtained by The Daily Hampshire Gazette under a Freedom of Information request says the July incident when two 250-pound wheels fell into a wooded area of Belchertown is at least the sixth similar occurrence of its kind since 1993.

“Shortcomings of the C-5 nose wheel retaining mechanism are a known deficiency,” the report says.

But it also says the Belchertown incident appears to be the first time wheels fell off while the plane was airborne.
Maybe they should call Toyota
d-1.jpg
d-1.jpg (50.5 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/ange ... 235400889/
In the wake of Angelia Lansbury’s death on Tuesday, a 2014 interview the actor gave to MailOnline (via The Independent) has resurfaced due to the revelation that Lansbury once saved her daughter from joining Charles Manson’s cult. Lansbury said her daughter, who is now 69, was “fascinated” by Manson, the notorious serial killer whose string of victims included Sharon Tate. Lansbury’s child became involved with drugs as a young teen and fell under Manson’s spell.

“It started with cannabis but moved on to heroin. There were factions up in the hills above Malibu that were dedicated to deadly pursuits,” Lansbury said. “It pains me to say it but, at one stage, Deidre was in with a crowd led by Charles Manson. She was one of many youngsters who knew him – and they were fascinated. He was an extraordinary character, charismatic in many ways, no question about it.”

Lansbury, after discovering her daughter had fallen into Manson’s circle, told her husband that they had to leave the Los Angeles area for good. Staying was not an option.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Uninformed

Hijack This Thread

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

:lol: :rotflmao:

Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Azastan:
…cats draping them selves all over me…

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:10 am Cat therapy is the best! Too bad your horse can't visit you, Azastan. Horse therapy works so well. :bighug:

:nooo:

:splat:

I can’t help myself
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Uninformed wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:02 pm
I don't subscribe to Podcasts. Not one. Not ever. Not even my nephews Yoga chat.

I'm getting damn close to subscribing to Beau.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

I was the an only son and the last male in your family to carry the family name, it never occurred to me that I would not have to register for Selective Service. Because that isn't a thing. Dunno who is filling people's heads with anything otherwise.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

Welcome to OSU, we're here to protect and serve.
pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

Do debates matter ?
Debates are highly scripted and offer little, if any, new information. There are so many mediums for candidates to get their message out, and both sides declare victory. I watched a little bit of the J.D. Vance and Tim Ryan U.S. Senate debate in Ohio, and each political tribe on social media claimed their candidate crushed the other. My eyes saw another boring and overly scripted draw.

The news cycle is so short today that even debate errors like Michael Dukakis’s “Kitty Dukakis moment” in 1988 no longer matter as much. Even George H.W. Bush, famously looking at his watch and appearing bored in 1992, wouldn’t nearly have the same impact today. The 24-hour-news cycle dramatically alters the political landscape.

The Massachusetts gubernatorial debates used to offer more rigorous intellectual exchanges between the candidates, but I think even that has fallen by the wayside. We increasingly live in a post-fact and ideologically charged world. Not many minds are being changed by over-scripted candidates.

It’s okay to admit that the debates no longer matter much anymore, and it’s mostly an extension of the circus that is American politics. The good news is that there is so much information today that you can be informed while tuning debates out entirely.
https://www.carolinajournal.com/opinion ... r-anymore/
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

Get Off Mah Lawn: Wolf Edition
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

pjhimself wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:31 pm Do debates matter ?
Debates are highly scripted and offer little, if any, new information. There are so many mediums for candidates to get their message out, and both sides declare victory. I watched a little bit of the J.D. Vance and Tim Ryan U.S. Senate debate in Ohio, and each political tribe on social media claimed their candidate crushed the other. My eyes saw another boring and overly scripted draw.

The news cycle is so short today that even debate errors like Michael Dukakis’s “Kitty Dukakis moment” in 1988 no longer matter as much. Even George H.W. Bush, famously looking at his watch and appearing bored in 1992, wouldn’t nearly have the same impact today. The 24-hour-news cycle dramatically alters the political landscape.

The Massachusetts gubernatorial debates used to offer more rigorous intellectual exchanges between the candidates, but I think even that has fallen by the wayside. We increasingly live in a post-fact and ideologically charged world. Not many minds are being changed by over-scripted candidates.

It’s okay to admit that the debates no longer matter much anymore, and it’s mostly an extension of the circus that is American politics. The good news is that there is so much information today that you can be informed while tuning debates out entirely.
https://www.carolinajournal.com/opinion ... r-anymore/
Hear, hear. The circus metaphor is apt.
Dave from down under

Hijack This Thread

Post by Dave from down under »

:o

These are the top 20 photos from the 2022 Nikon Small World Photo Microscopy Competition as chosen by expert judges

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-14/ ... /101531628
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Cool! :biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks, Dave!
Dave from down under

Hijack This Thread

Post by Dave from down under »

MORE photos!!! :o

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-14/ ... /101535502

Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2022: The big buzz wins top prize
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Pretty cool!

pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

Not sure but loved the comments that it's Wayne Gretzky in 20 years.
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My Seattle sister told me about a cool feature available on the mobile app version of Google Maps. If you tap on the Layers icon in the upper right, one of the options available is Air Quality. The air quality in Seattle today sucks. Today's map -
Seattle Air Quality Map.jpg
Seattle Air Quality Map.jpg (63.11 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

neonzx wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:09 pm Pretty cool!

Nonsense. George was born in 1732, and would be 290 years old today. That dude doesn't look a day over 130. :nope:
No point in worrying about shit you can't control, save that energy for the stuff you can. - Evan Currie

Return to “General Stuff”