Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... rmine-ian/
Confidence is increasing that a tropical weather system developing in the Caribbean will intensify into a hurricane by Monday and strike Florida around Wednesday.

The system does not yet have a name, but the National Hurricane Center declared that a tropical depression, the precursor to a tropical storm, formed Friday morning about 600 miles east of Jamaica. Meteorologists are expecting it to quickly intensify this weekend before striking Cuba late Monday into Tuesday and then barreling north — probably toward the west coast of Florida.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Tropical Storm Ian will be a Hurricane when it hits Florida on Wednesday.
BE73663A-5750-4FEC-8F73-19CFCC5F60A7.jpeg
BE73663A-5750-4FEC-8F73-19CFCC5F60A7.jpeg (125.02 KiB) Viewed 547 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Hand out the sharpies! :twisted:
► Show Spoiler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

It's coming right at me (and Neon). I'm supposed to fly to KC next Saturday and from there, take Amtrak to Albuquerque. I've been planning this trip since last Feb. :mad:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:18 am It's coming right at me (and Neon). I'm supposed to fly to KC next Saturday and from there, take Amtrak to Albuquerque. I've been planning this trip since last Feb. :mad:
I hope it works out okay.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:07 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:18 am It's coming right at me (and Neon). I'm supposed to fly to KC next Saturday and from there, take Amtrak to Albuquerque. I've been planning this trip since last Feb. :mad:
I hope it works out okay.
Moving west from us.
Hurr Map.jpg
Hurr Map.jpg (301.76 KiB) Viewed 490 times
tek

Post by tek »

Having watched weather models for a while, I wouldn't be surprised to see them drift back east at least a bit..

Most of my experience is in New England weather, but I have a few years in South FL now
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

The pattern shifting westerly, if it holds, is good news for my property. However, it also means later landfall. I'm supposed to fly from Ft Myers to KC via Nashville early Saturday morning and I'm guessing this isn't good for that.

Saturday night is my 47th class reunion (we had to skip 45, 46 bc of covid) and Sunday my son was taking me to the KC Ren Fest which is one of the best in the country. My hopefully DIL-to-be is a bridal designer and has made us period costumes.

I don't take the train to ABQ until Thursday so hopefully I can salvage that but I'm pretty discouraged about my Saturday flights.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:14 amSaturday night is my 47th class reunion (we had to skip 45, 46 bc of covid) and Sunday my son was taking me to the KC Ren Fest which is one of the best in the country. My hopefully DIL-to-be is a bridal designer and has made us period costumes.
I went to that several times when I could still get out of the house, and it truly is a wonderful experience! Will you be posting pictures of your costumes? I'd love to see them :)

Hope you have a lot of fun there - and on the rest of your trip!!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:28 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:14 amSaturday night is my 47th class reunion (we had to skip 45, 46 bc of covid) and Sunday my son was taking me to the KC Ren Fest which is one of the best in the country. My hopefully DIL-to-be is a bridal designer and has made us period costumes.
I went to that several times when I could still get out of the house, and it truly is a wonderful experience! Will you be posting pictures of your costumes? I'd love to see them :)

Hope you have a lot of fun there - and on the rest of your trip!!
Thanks!!!!! If I make it in time, I will. Cross your fingers for me that I can get out of town Saturday.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I suppose everyone else will have the same idea, but can you change the Saturday portion of your travel?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I thought about that. I’d have to leave tomorrow or Tuesday, if I could get a flight. That puts me hanging out in Kansas City almost a week longer than I had previously planned.

Also, we’re not yet sure exactly what track the storm will take. It’s possible it could swing back east and still hit me head on. That would cancel the trip all together.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I have a question for the Florida and other southern coastal folks.

I had flipped the TV to the Weather Station which was discussing Ian with the mayor of Tampa and the background video was of people buying plywood at Home Depot. This Midwesterner who has only once or twice to get sideswiped by a dedicated, long travelling tropical storm wondered, why are they always going on plywood runs right before the approaching storm? Wouldn't it just be wiser to take it down after the storm and store it so it is available for the next one?

On the other hand, are there not really huge runs on plywood and the media is just replaying old video because it works better for their presentation?
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

As a former longtime Gulf Coast resident I would note that due to population growth a lot of new residences and businesses are built between storms.

New residences/businesses don't come with plywood shutters.

Also some folks who are new to hurricane prone areas don't board up for their first storm. After that experience they will board up for the next one. They will also evacuate. ;)
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Our house came with aluminum shutters, which we put up for Irma. We've since gone with bahama shutters and kevlar shades for the sliders but we still have four windows we have to shutter but usually not for anything less than a cat 3.

Since we've never had to deal with plywood I can only go by what a neighbor said after Charlie, that the plywood is so warped after a storm, it can't be reused.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:00 pm I have a question for the Florida and other southern coastal folks.

I had flipped the TV to the Weather Station which was discussing Ian with the mayor of Tampa and the background video was of people buying plywood at Home Depot. This Midwesterner who has only once or twice to get sideswiped by a dedicated, long travelling tropical storm wondered, why are they always going on plywood runs right before the approaching storm? Wouldn't it just be wiser to take it down after the storm and store it so it is available for the next one?

On the other hand, are there not really huge runs on plywood and the media is just replaying old video because it works better for their presentation?
The sheets that aren't ripped loose and sailed like a frisbee are usually either delaminated, cracked or warped to be of much use past maybe the second storm. Also, where do you store 15 or 20 sheets of plywood? We don't have basements down here.

eta: Ninja'ed by slim!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Stored our plywood in the garage. Had to throw it out after the Harvey flooding.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

In California we had earthquakes and mudslides. And fires, when they forgot to rake the forest floors.

I would have looked awful silly, racing outside my house to put up some plywood over the windows ... :bag:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

John McPhee, in The Control of Nature, writes about a pair of JPL scientists who married and moved into their dream home in the Angeles Forest above JPL/Altadena. They loved living in the wilderness, among deer and coyotes, 5 minutes from work.

Twice their home was demolished by debris flows after wildfire and rain, and twice they rebuilt. The third time they hired a smarter architect who built them a ranch house out of cinder blocks with two massive fire station-type doors directly opposite each other and drains in the floors.

The fourth time, they simply opened the doors, moved the furniture, and let the debris flow through the house. They hosed it out afterwards, put the furniture back into place, and went to work. :mrgreen:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “General Stuff”