Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Transport of migrants/refugees from red states to blue ones

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Transport of migrants/refugees from red states to blue ones

Post by Foggy »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:20 pm Not sure what your point is.
The technical term is "whataboutism," a dishonest comparison.

But here's the shocking thing - nobody gave a shit what the third-place finisher for the Republican candidate to be governor of New York :lol: had to say. Even Fox News was unable to generate a fake scandal about it.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

Why are they targeting immigrants from Argentina specifically?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:59 pm Not sure if it's true but when I was on my phone, I saw something that said DeSantis spent over $600,000 on two planes to fly 50 immigrants from Tx to Martha's Vineyard, working out to over $13K per person.

Yeah, like he couldn't have spent that $$ on getting us teachers.
Must be in the Desantis thread, image from a FOIA reply showing $635000(?) spent on a contract with an aviation company. One assumes charter flights. The only known flights at this time would be the immigrant relocation.
tek

Post by tek »

much ado

Post by much ado »

A price tag like that causes me to wonder whether there was a kickback.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

much ado wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:51 pm A price tag like that causes me to wonder whether there was a kickback.
of course there was.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

much ado wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:51 pm A price tag like that causes me to wonder whether there was a kickback.
No kickback. I wash your back, you wash mine. Desantis just loves to spread around tax-payers money to his friends, so that that they will be indebted to him, and will back him when he needs them. The vaccine rollout (back when DeathSantis was okay with the vax) was a giant grift for Publix, as far as Ronny was concerned.
tek

Post by tek »

Having posted that tweet, it is not clear to me that this is related.. Vertol Systems is a maintenance-like company that does lots of stuff for government aviation fleets..
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Social media is full of quasi-human neo-Republican US office holders laughing hysterically about how the left is reacting to 50 immigrants in their midst. "You can't handle it!" they squawk. "Got ya!"

It is so bizarre. They have no clue where the outrage is directed, or why--or why the compassionate reception those human beings who were treated like property got on MV is exactly the opposite of what they are pretending it is.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Acyn @Acyn wrote: Miller: My message to every Republican Governor tonight is in every instance that you can, take the illegal immigrants in your state where the law allows you to and put them into the neighborhood of rich Democrats…
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Sigh… the use of human props for political points is despicable…
But, to go back to the actual problems— communities are having to deal with a constant influx of arrivals at our southern border. It seems clear to me that the current system is broken— arrivals are put into the system for evaluation and, since the court system is overloaded, they are put into the US for (I think I saw this as the average) about 8 months until a decision is made. Asylum is granted to a very small percentage of these arrivals.

Could the decision process be expedited to be within 48 hours for the easy cases where more research and interviews are not needed? And, how else could the actual problem be addressed beside many more courts, judges, advocates, etc?

Perhaps by addressing the number of arrivals by PR campaigns (or even preliminary processing?) at the point of origin of these traveling arrivals to severely curtail the number attempting something with a single digit percentage chance of succeeding? These people are being misled.

Of course, we need immigrant workers whether they are seeking citizenship or not. It is past time to really address difficult topics.

Yes, this has developed into a culture war phenomenon with these latest stunts. Sure, local Northern communities are being “good people” and gracious with 50 person sets of arrivals. But, border communities are dealing with tens and hundreds of thousands of arrivals— and it doesn’t stop.
IT. IS. A. REAL. PROBLEM.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I agree it is a real problem but it would be nice if the states affected would reach out to northern states for humanitarian solutions, instead of this bullshit.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
much ado

Post by much ado »

Yeah, well of course, the goal is not to help the immigrants, that would be against all Republican principles. So they would never ask northern states for humanitarian help. The goal is to score political points with those who are basically racist.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Umm…
I believe the issue has been met by deaf ears.
The real answers require federal implementation but it is considered to be an individual state problem.

At least the downstream consequences of the lack of federal solutions is experienced by the individual states. That sucks.

But, since it requires Federal (US based) solutions, and only a few individual states experience the downstream consequences, little actual action is taken.

Given that, expect tantrums to occur.

And, here we are.
Wintermute
Verified:

Post by Wintermute »

Seems to me if they keep shipping people to northern states when the next census happens these states may reclaim congressional seats from Florida and Texas.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Danraft wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:46 pm Umm…
The real answers require federal implementation but it is considered to be an individual state problem.

At least the downstream consequences of the lack of federal solutions is experienced by the individual states. That sucks.

But, since it requires Federal (US based) solutions, and only a few individual states experience the downstream consequences, little actual action is taken.

And, here we are.
And yet it's those same border states (except Cal) that are actively blocking all attempts to reform immigration. Not saying the northern states are perfect, but if the border states refuse to even come to the table, we can't help them.
raison de arizona

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:46 pm
Danraft wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:46 pm Umm…

And, here we are.
And yet it's those same border states (except Cal) that are actively blocking all attempts to reform immigration. Not saying the northern states are perfect, but if the border states refuse to even come to the table, we can't help them.
It's a real problem, and immigration reform has been blocked, but I also wonder about the other border states. Arizona? Border crisis. Texas? Border Crisis. Florida? Border crisis. New Mexico is between AZ and TX though, and I haven't heard a lot of border crisis out of there. Maybe it just doesn't get press :shrug: . Also, California? Border crisis? I dunno, I always hear about homeless crisis there. Also, NYC reportedly has an all-time high of 50k+ homeless. Who would start sending more there? How does that make sense?

Anyway, some people need a real Come To Jesus talk about getting something done with this issue. IMO.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I think AZ and TX have the longest border sections with difficult terrain that are a pita to cover.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

If congress really wanted to solve the immigration problem, it could. All congress would have to do is make it so criminally painful to hire an undocumented worker, with stiff mandatory minimum sentences, that no one would ever risk it. When the demand for undocumented workers dries up, so would the supply.

The Republicans had their opportunity with Trump and a Republican-controlled congress. But congress knows that Americans don’t want to pay $15 for a head of lettuce, so they wring their hands and blame the bleeding-heart liberals.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona

Marisa Kabas @MarisaKabas wrote: !!! a fake brochure promising eight months cash assistance, food, job training/placement, help with housing + more was given to migrants who were lured by @GovRonDeSantis into boarding a flight to martha’s vineyard.

@JuddLegum obtained a copy: https://popular.info/p/the-smoking-gun- ... s-vineyard
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Isn't this essentially human trafficking? :confuzzled: :?
No better than the cartel coyotes.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

from last friday

raison de arizona

Interesting, but not surprising that DeSantis may have shot himself in the foot.
Adam Cohen Lawyers for Good Government #DemCast @axidentaliberal wrote: Delicious irony

That cruel political stunt Ron DeSantis pulled by trafficking immigrants?

By flying them from Texas to Martha's Vineyard?

It may have given them the opportunity to obtain a visa

Pursuant to the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

The Bexar County sheriff (San Antonio) is pursuing an investigation as to the mistreatment of these arrivals.
The press conference…
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video. ... 0086751%2F

Return to “Current Politics”