King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:10 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:50 am
RTH: but for now it is a Frenchman who has the market for the lyrical version of the British national anthem to himself.
Is this the definition of irony?
A millenium ago, the French did reign Britain with a row of Kings ;)
Sherely, the Frenchman had an issue in the realm, so his issue is a natural born subject to the sovereign. I think I'll have a Coke now.
101010 :towel:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:57 pm Black Cabs are the only way to get around in London... prove me wrong.

Cheap, safe, clean as often as not a nice guy to talk to and one on every street.
I've enjoyed them, sure. But bus is cheaper, tube and train are faster. I do -- as I am supposed to -- vary my routes and methods in travel. In the UK, it's not as 'mandated' by our security posture, but I find it's an easy habit to give up unless you keep it up. So I vary between bus and train and specific routes, and then once every so often I'll taxi, tube, Uber, or even take the boat home (there's a limited Uber-and-TfL-affiliated Boat service that can be picked up just a few blocks from the Embassy and the pier in my neighborhood is one of its stops).
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:59 pm We need to set up a pool.

A few things I would assume. It will be on a Monday. It's a state holiday and people are gonna expect it to be a working day they will get off (with pay) or they'll feel cheated. It won't be in the middle of a week. It'll be when the weather is nice, they'll want to make it attractive for as many people as possible to be in London for the actual coronation and the surrounding events. It's also likely to be the culmination a very long weekend of events, probably starting with Receptions and stuff on Thursday night and going all the way through putting the crown on Charlie's noggin at 3 PM on Monday.

I am gonna change my mind and say April or May, I think doing it in August will be too hot for Brits and September is back to school season which is a bigger deal than you'd think.

My bet, April 24th, subject to change, but as good a place to aim as any. :8ball:
I'm willing to be the judge and sit this one out, since I will probably have advance word before many. :)

Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

Mr brolin wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:18 am It's interesting how some of the newspapers on both sides of the pond (NY Times and Guardian as examples) just can't help themselves and are already reverting to type with snide comments about the King and Royal Family.

Typical ones both have jumped on are finances with much clutching of handkerchiefs and "How could this be!" isms
In fairness, the Guardian has been openly Republican (in the anti-monarchial sense) for decades, though. They've been mellow about it because Her Majesty was a good ol' bird and much beloved, but.

chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

northland10 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:53 am Sherely, the Frenchman had an issue in the realm, so his issue is a natural born subject to the sovereign. I think I'll have a Coke now.

:lol:
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

In case you want to get in the queue, the viewing is 24 hours a day until Monday.

Thank you, Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

That is

I dunno

Think of Douglas Adams trying to describe something really big... in one word

that is the word I'm looking for...
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:shock: queuing time jumped from prior 9 hours to 11.5
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

I can't find any explicit confirmation but it seems you get a numbered wristband when you join the queue. You are allowed to dodge out a few minutes at a time to get food or answer a call of nature.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

PaulG wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:57 am I can't find any explicit confirmation but it seems you get a numbered wristband when you join the queue. You are allowed to dodge out a few minutes at a time to get food or answer a call of nature.
I heard something like that too. The part I focused on was that it was not transferable.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

northland10 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:53 am
RTH10260 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:10 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:50 am

Is this the definition of irony?
A millenium ago, the French did reign Britain with a row of Kings ;)
Sherely, the Frenchman had an issue in the realm, so his issue is a natural born subject to the sovereign. I think I'll have a Coke now.
Ironically, Charles has more German blood then English.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:07 am :snippity:

You mean "King" Charles owes Homage and Allegiance to Germany??!!!?!? He is a usurper!

Did I get that right?
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RVInit wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:19 am

You mean "King" Charles owes Homage and Allegiance to Germany??!!!?!? He is a usurper!

Did I get that right?
I read once (possibly in Medieval Lives?) Richard Lionheart spent little time in England and didn't speak English (one of the contemporary comments about him).

Blood is a chemical concoction. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Prince Philip was born a prince of Denmark and Greece. He was born on Corfu and baptized in the Orthodox Church.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Biggest operation the Met Police have ever undertaken.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:57 am Prince Philip was born a prince of Denmark and Greece. He was born on Corfu and baptized in the Orthodox Church.
But he was German.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

German? Well, it is complicated.

Philip's mother Alice of Battenburg was nominally a princess of Hesse however she was a great granddaughter of Queen Victoria and was born in Windsor Castle.

Philip's father was the son of King George I of Greece and Olga of Russia and the grandson of King Christian IX of Denmark.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:00 pm German? Well, it is complicated.
This chart of the relationships of European royal families simplifies it...

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Just imagine how much larger that would be if they didn't all marry each other.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:49 pm Just imagine how much larger that would be if they didn't all marry each other.
Maybe we could have avoided a World War where all the crowned heads or spouses, on both sides, were related to Victoria. Remember this when you have a rough family reunion. It could be worse.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:49 pm Just imagine how much larger that would be if they didn't all marry each other.
Dr Oz says it's all fine ;)
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:26 am

Did I get that right?
I read once (possibly in Medieval Lives?) Richard Lionheart spent little time in England and didn't speak English (one of the contemporary comments about him).

Richard spent only a few months of his ten year reign in England. He probably spoke some English but French was his first language.

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

French kwas the official language in England for several hundred years
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Gregg wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:25 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:26 am

Did I get that right?

Richard spent only a few months of his ten year reign in England. He probably spoke some English but French was his first language.
This was back when the Plantagenets ruled England and elsewhere and were not German. I'm too lazy to look right now, but R's father King Henry (the II?) and mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine had a hell of a fortune and titles, both England and parts of Europe (see Duchy of Aquitaine).

Sigh, I wish the late great Sharon K. Penman was still around, she loved answering reader's questions on FB and Goodreads.
► Show Spoiler
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Yes, the Norman/Angevin/Plantagenet Kings, in order William, William II, Henry I, Stephen (Matilda) Henry II, Richard, John, Henry III, who became king at the ripe old age of 9 and while still French being his first language, might have been the first King of England who spoke English more than a little. It wasn't until Henry IV that England had a King who spoke English as his first language.

Henry II married Eleanor of Aquitaine who was the richest woman in Europe and between them by the end of his reign they were, Duke of Normandy (from 1150), Count of Anjou (from 1151), Duke of Aquitaine (from 1152), and King of England. They were richer adjusted for everything taken into account more or less than Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and the Pope combined... :dance: They had a stash. By the time John was deposed by his Barons he had pissed almost all of it away.

I first fell in love with English History because of the movie Becket.
Off Topic
When I was a boy the first UHF channel in Cincinnati was Channel 19 and they would buy "bundles" of movies from some distributer. They then had the rights to show these movies in the bundle as many times as they chose to run them for as long as the bundle had been rented for, and the distributer got a flat rental fee plus a percentage of the advertising sales run, and this is important to TV programmers, from the opening credits until the closing credits. The reason there are a lot of commercials between the rerun shows, really, is because local stations get 100% of that ad revenue and don't have to share it with the syndicators they get their shows from.

Anyhow, when I was a boy, three things were happening at the same time, UHF tv was new and we got the new channel that ran a lot of cartoons even during the day and was thus my favorite channel. The second thing is I was learning to read and at exactly the same time we were getting, in installments, our World Book Encyclopedia which I couldn't read at first but they had wonderful illustrations, flags and maps, and I was hooked. Finally, for what seemed like years, channel 19 played the same 6 or 7 movies all the time, you cold catch Becket 5 times in one weekend if you stayed up late. Richard Burton, Peter O'Toole, what's not to love. I was enamored. Even more so when I found it was all a true story and that led me to start looking up Henry (they never say Henry II in the movie, you have to figure that out if you don't know) in the Encyclopedia, reading all about the Angevins, finding out in about 1t grade that most of the early Kings didn't even speak English (I fought a 3rd grade teacher over this, one of the first times I won an argument with a teacher, a recurring thing in my childhood) and leading me to memorize the Kings and Queens of England in second grade, to my knowledge something damn few American second graders can do.

Channel 19, WXIX, to this day to me means Larry Smith puppets, live commercials from "Riverside Ford, a block and Bridge from Downtown Cincinnati" and the movies Becket and The Blue Max. The theme music for all WXIX movies was the intro to George Harrison's "What Is My Life.

Oh, the joys of Early UHF in the late 60s early 70s!

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”