Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Post by raison de arizona »

much ado wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:56 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:48 pm Question: the Loose Cannon ordered that the DOJ suspend the criminal investigation. Can one interpret this that this only covers the former guy as plaintiff, but that the investigation of possible co-conspirators can continue? Resulting in possibly more bad things uncovered, just accidential implicating plaintiff.
Does anyone know whether the DOJ can appeal a court-ordered suspension of an investigation?
Are court ordered suspensions of criminal investigations even a thing? I mean, before now.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Re: Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Post by Foggy »

1. She didn't really order the criminal investigation to stop, she just said they can't use the documents seized in the search. There are other documents, and lots of things the DOJ can still do.

2. Yes, it seems to be appealable, but I defer to the attorneys here, and in any case there's a lot of chatter about whether it's a good idea. So that whole thing is going to take a while to get resolved.

The next step is the filing mañana by the lawyers for both sides.
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:47 am :think: interesting aspect, makes one go hmmm. Taken together with what Panda commented above, eg that the document would be five years old, it may be so much out of date that leaking it's existence (not content) may do little harm.
I've heard a couple of analysts point out that the possible outing of sources or of types of communication has no sell-by date. Too also, that this will damage not only our allies but also any future human sources. This latter seems to be major concern from the intel community.

Anyway, the theft of this type of marked document is the point, not the specific content.

No personal knowledge; just repeating what I've read or heard this week.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Well that answers that. :biggrin:
You are what you eat.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Also too, I suspect Trump is quite pleased with the death of Elizabeth, as she will take over the news for at least several days, taking the pressure off him temporarily. :smoking:
You are what you eat.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

The death of Elizabeth will also focus attention on her, with none left over for Trump. He'll hate that. Plus he won't be invited to the funeral, and Obama will be. Also, new King Charles despises Trump.
raison de arizona

SuzieC wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:16 pm The death of Elizabeth will also focus attention on her, with none left over for Trump. He'll hate that. Plus he won't be invited to the funeral, and Obama will be. Also, new King Charles despises Trump.
:fingerwag: tfg seems to think they are buds.
F92F6F2C-2324-40ED-8344-82EB1BA8EE42.png
F92F6F2C-2324-40ED-8344-82EB1BA8EE42.png (290 KiB) Viewed 828 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
much ado

Post by much ado »

I am so sure that His Majesty King Charles III will be pleased to learn that Trump is proud of him.
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

Via Kyle Cheney: DOJ has moved for a partial stay of Judge Cannon's order pending appeal. First tweet here links to a supporting declaration from the DOJ's Assistant Director for Counterintelligence, arguing the national security review can't be separated from the criminal investigation. Second tweet has the motion.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Nicole Wallace is discussing this next, has Andrew Weisman to help.
raison de arizona

What. A. Surprise. :faint:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Well now I am confused. I can't read PDFs on my tablet. Did the government file:

a) Motion for change of the court order in Cannon's court, or,

b) Notice of Appeal to the 11th Circuit, or,

c) both? :confuzzled:
You are what you eat.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Foggy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:01 pm Well now I am confused. I can't read PDFs on my tablet. Did the government file:

Partial Stay ... Pending Appeal and Notice of Appeal.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Ah, motion for partial stay in Cannon's court. Got it.
You are what you eat.
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

Foggy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:01 pm Well now I am confused. I can't read PDFs on my tablet. Did the government file:

I believe it is both. (A) is a motion to Judge Cannon for a partial stay of her order pending appeal. The stay would be limited to the documents with classification markings only which they say have already been separated.

Renato Mariotti pointed out that (A) gets the declaration from the DOJ Assistant Director into the record for possible appeal:

raison de arizona

DOJ has to keep reminding Cannon of who the records belong to.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Washington Post says both:
The Justice Department wrote in a brief filing that it would be appealing the decision to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.

In a separate, simultaneous court filing, prosecutors asked Cannon to stay her Sept. 5 decision on two key points: her order to temporarily halt a significant portion of the FBI investigation into the potential mishandling of classified information, and to allow a special master to review the classified material that is among the documents seized as part of a court-authorized search at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club on Aug. 8.
You are what you eat.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

much ado wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:26 pm I am so sure that His Majesty King Charles III will be pleased to learn that Trump is proud of him.

Charles and William refused to meet with Trump.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/socie ... ald-trump/
tek

Post by tek »

d-1.jpg
d-1.jpg (134.26 KiB) Viewed 662 times
Remember the days of MRC and Roxy?
Good times!
raison de arizona

Somebunny is appalled at the appeal.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

So Trump is admitting that his illegal theft of government documents will cost taxpayers millions of dollars. Got it.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

An great orator he is NOT.
…brilliant and
courageous Judge whose words of wisdom
rang true throughout our Nation,
Makes me feel all hot and …whoops :vomit:

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”