Hijack This Thread

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:15 am https://www.openculture.com/2022/08/eve ... -beer.html
Every Style of Beer Explained: An Expert Breaks Down 100 Types of Beer, from Malty Lagers, to London Brown Ales, to Bock Beer
:snippity:
https://youtu.be/P75SvA344QI
Imma watch this over *checks length* a few beers in the next night or two, thx!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

More at the link, but all I can say is right on! Information wants to be free. As a side note, a widely known "secret" is that you can just email the authors of papers such as these if you are interested and they will almost always send you the paper free of charge. I was a anti-anti-vax crusader in a former life and obtained a number of research papers this way.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

So he waved his hand…
And they’re declassified… /s
It’s a really good thing!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Former Texas Right to Life Political Director Luke Bowen has been charged with online solicitation of a minor after an Aug. 3 sting operation by Montgomery County Internet Crimes Against Children.

Bowen is out on a $50,000 bond. The charge is a second-degree felony, which could result in a two- to 20-year sentence and a fine of up to $10,000.

Conroe-based attorney E. Tay Bond, who is representing Bowen, confirmed the charge and noted Bowen was in compliance with his bond conditions.
:snippity: :snippity:
https://www.yourconroenews.com/neighbor ... 397607.php
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:35 pm Ah yes, a slave to fashion.
Gotta keep up!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:15 am https://www.openculture.com/2022/08/eve ... -beer.html
Every Style of Beer Explained: An Expert Breaks Down 100 Types of Beer, from Malty Lagers, to London Brown Ales, to Bock Beer
After an evening drinking too many Trappist Trippel beers (i.e. triple strength) in Belgium in the 1980s I think I learned why Trappist monks take a bow of silence.

Sometimes one pays for pleasure now in pain later.
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

Today is "Tan Suit Day".

On August 28, 2014, President Obama wore a tan suit to work.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:15 pm More at the link, but all I can say is right on! Information wants to be free. As a side note, a widely known "secret" is that you can just email the authors of papers such as these if you are interested and they will almost always send you the paper free of charge. I was a anti-anti-vax crusader in a former life and obtained a number of research papers this way.
https:
Although I really see this as a 'very good thing', the downside is that the anti-science nuts and the semi-literate that just don't know how to read a science paper will find it that much easier to glom to some factoid and use it to 'prove' that up is really down and scientists have been hiding this knowledge for ever.

The other day I had to put the kibosh on some fruit loop that saw a report of a paper that indicated that polio could be caught from vaccine trauma and came to the conclusion that covid vaccine was causing the upsurge in polio.

Of course the vaccine the paper was talking about was 'live virus polio vaccine', the trauma they were talking about was the the polio vaccine injection. Now, it doesn't take too much thinking to find out that the USA doesn't use live virus polio vaccine, and the coronavirus vaccines do not contain polio virus, whether live, deactivated, or dead.

But that's the thing, these people don't think, they just throw stuff against the wall to see if they can get a rise.

Personally, I stopped doing that sort of thing when I stopped smoking the sacred herb in college dorms.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I posted about the planned renovations to the battleship Texas on Fogbow 1.0 some time ago. They are finally moving the ship to a drydock in Galveston but there is some doubt that the ship will survive the move. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I shopped at Costco this afternoon. It’s not even Labor Day and they have a Christmas tree up. :shock:
raison de arizona

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:29 pm I shopped at Costco this afternoon. It’s not even Labor Day and they have a Christmas tree up. :shock:
Mine has Halloween costumes and I though they were early!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I saw Halloween stuff out more than a month ago.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Mmmm.... Halloween candy. :lovestruck:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Santa's White Christmas coffee is for sale at Publix already. It's not even September yet.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

RVInit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:33 am Santa's White Christmas coffee is for sale at Publix already. It's not even September yet.
The crazy thing is that almost all of the corporate push for holidays feel just normal to a big section of the populist and are still profitable for them. Peeps buying Candy Canes at $5 a box that will be $1.50 day after the holiday. Same for the cost of Peeps after Easter.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

RVInit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:33 am Santa's White Christmas coffee is for sale at Publix already. It's not even September yet.
:? Oh a different "Santa". Never mind.

I will follow Frater out the door.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Less than four more shopping months!!! Come on people - hustle hustle hustle.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:28 pm Mmmm.... Halloween candy. :lovestruck:
:cantlook:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Let's talk about email tl;dr, the executive summary, and the need to beat people with a cudgel.

I learned early on with email to compact everything I wanted to say and ask in as few words as possible so it would appear in the message field above the fold. I called it the executive summary for busy people with little time. Get my bottom line out first. Follow up with my findings, my arguments, my explanations, etc etc in paragraphs after.
Good morning,

I have three things to discuss and a request:
A item 1
B item 2
C item 3
D request

Item 1 discussion paragraph

:snippity:
It appears I now need to limit the number of concepts introduced in a message to one or less. :cantlook:

So, I took a pre-dawn sales lead phone call yesterday morning from an OEM partner. They have an opportunity in the Cali market with a major utility. They need our labor and our financial backing. I write that up in an email as we are speaking on the phone cc'ing our regional mgrs to (A) NorCal opportunity, (B) here's our contact, and (C) appoint an account rep, followed by some expansion paragraphs. By the end of the day everything was sideways, and it all started with the guy at the top of our sales group not reading the first line: who, what, and where.

He apparently doesn't know there is a difference between PG&E (Pacific Gas and Electric), and PGE (Portland General Electric). He also glossed over the phrase NorCal opportunity. He assigns it to Portland reps. Minus my email. He just instructs them to contact me without cc'ing me that he's instructing them to contact me. So, they email me wanting details.

But, I'm in the field at a site with zero indoor Verizon coverage. Of course since I'm not answering email immediately, send another. And if I don't respond to that, call me directly. When I don't pick up, leave a voicemail or two, or three. Rinse, repeat until you get tired and call your boss and my boss wanting to know why I am not responding in a professional and timely manner to this major customer request.

By lunch time this matastsized to contacting the customer (PGE) directly with their inquiries only to be rebuffed. They do not have any deals in the pipeline with this OEM. They don't know what we are talking about. So, what am I talking about? What sales lead? Their boss still hasn't forwarded them my early morning email. The answer is right in front of him, and he can't see it.

When I pop my head out of the gopher hole, and return to Verizon coverage, my phone notifications are blowing up. What a mess. The cc list is massive. I hit reply all on the phone, point out the difference in customer acronyms, and continue my drive home. Ninty minutes later I expected another round of emails in the InBox. Nope. Nothing. Silence.

So, I'm expecting something this morning. Good thing I'm retired. They can't fire me. :)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:28 pm Mmmm.... Halloween candy. :lovestruck:
I got dibs on the eyeball gum! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:00 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:29 pm I shopped at Costco this afternoon. It’s not even Labor Day and they have a Christmas tree up. :shock:
Craft brewers had released their Octoberfest style at the beginning of August this year.
101010 :towel:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Calling all those who cringe at my writing (i.e. grammar snobs).
...help a RWNJ get elected.
Working for a day job company that adores their acronyms and adds new ones often, this has always perplexed me. R is a consonant so initially one might think that it should be A before it. However, since R is a soft consonant, when spoken or sung, AN sounds better as it sounds more like a word starting with a vowel.

Which is the official way?
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

northland10 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:55 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:00 pm
Craft brewers had released their Octoberfest style at the beginning of August this year.
Hmm, well I’m pro increasing the season for Oktoberfest brews, of course!
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

northland10 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:03 pm Calling all those who cringe at my writing (i.e. grammar snobs).
...help a RWNJ get elected.
Working for a day job company that adores their acronyms and adds new ones often, this has always perplexed me. R is a consonant so initially one might think that it should be A before it. However, since R is a soft consonant, when spoken or sung, AN sounds better as it sounds more like a word starting with a vowel.

Which is the official way?
Dunno about others but when I read that acronym I read in my head the full phrase, not the letters. So I would write "a" rather than "an".

Other acronyms I might read as individual letters (e.g FBI, GPS) or as a word (e.g. NASA).

Return to “General Stuff”