Hijack This Thread

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:46 am Any suggestions for relief of painful shoulder tendonitis while I wait for the ortho appointment? It's a known (but apparently not common) side effect of the radiation but my radiation oncologist had no suggestions. She acted like she didn't even know what it was. My surgeon immediately recognized it and sent in a referral for me. Meanwhile. it hurts like hell. I'm already alternating Aleve and ibuprophen for the joint pain from the Keytruda.
You might benefit from an over-the-counter shoulder brace that can help support the tendons thar keep your arm and shoulder socket in the right alignment.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:55 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:46 am Any suggestions for relief of painful shoulder tendonitis while I wait for the ortho appointment? It's a known (but apparently not common) side effect of the radiation but my radiation oncologist had no suggestions. She acted like she didn't even know what it was. My surgeon immediately recognized it and sent in a referral for me. Meanwhile. it hurts like hell. I'm already alternating Aleve and ibuprophen for the joint pain from the Keytruda.
You might benefit from an over-the-counter shoulder brace that can help support the tendons thar keep your arm and shoulder socket in the right alignment.
Thanks. My husband's too-big sling wasn't doing a thing so I ditched it. The brace might be a better option.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:42 am [
Thank you. I did those for a couple of months after the surgery when my entire left arm was tightening up. They helped tremendously for that but don't seem to be doing anything for the tendonitis but making it hurt more.

Half the info on Google says use ice, half the info says don't use ice.
I’m a big believer in ice. 20 minutes on, one hour off, repeat.

I use it for sciatica and lower back pain. It’s the only thing that works for me. I found this discussion when I was unable to move from lower back pain.

https://www.orthocarolina.com/media/ice ... i-use-when
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:05 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:42 am [
Thank you. I did those for a couple of months after the surgery when my entire left arm was tightening up. They helped tremendously for that but don't seem to be doing anything for the tendonitis but making it hurt more.

Half the info on Google says use ice, half the info says don't use ice.
I’m a big believer in ice. 20 minutes on, one hour off, repeat.

I use it for sciatica and lower back pain. It’s the only thing that works for me. I found this discussion when I was unable to move from lower back pain.

https://www.orthocarolina.com/media/ice ... i-use-when
Thanks. Good info at that link.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:50 am My friends are all worried about me working too hard (I had an MRI for my back three weeks ago--it's a mess), but I already figured out that the best thing for Kid Rock was to get back to work to help him move on. I take ibuprofen, and if necessary, Percocet. I'm not sure about the body slams against hay bales, but the rest of your advice seems sound to me!
The body slams against a soft but firm surface squeeze Mr Kidney serving Kid Rock an eviction notice. Doing side bends over a sofa arm or mattress do the same thing.

I discovered it by accident during my first bout with The Stones. I got tired of laying around the house preferring returning to work to complete some light duty tasks: collect equipment serial numbers from a bunch of trucks. That meant laying on the drivers seat in a quasi-inverted yoga move with a flashlight to read a number upside down. By the end of the day my dull pain was gone. So, the next time I felt that ache, I did side bends on the bed, and it seemed to help.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:24 am

The body slams against a soft but firm surface squeeze Mr Kidney serving Kid Rock an eviction notice. Doing side bends over a sofa arm or mattress do the same thing.

I discovered it by accident during my first bout with The Stones. I got tired of laying around the house preferring returning to work to complete some light duty tasks: collect equipment serial numbers from a bunch of trucks. That meant laying on the drivers seat in a quasi-inverted yoga move with a flashlight to read a number upside down. By the end of the day my dull pain was gone. So, the next time I felt that ache, I did side bends on the bed, and it seemed to help.
He's out of the kidney, but appears to be stuck in the Renton 'S' curves of the ureter (not the urethra, that's the last stage).
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Azastan wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:23 pm
He's out of the kidney, but appears to be stuck in the Renton 'S' curves of the ureter (not the urethra, that's the last stage).
The Renton 'S' curves always bottle up traffic. Things almost always pick up on the other side.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

865A0909-FEAD-4490-8271-CCCF019334C4.jpeg
865A0909-FEAD-4490-8271-CCCF019334C4.jpeg (86.65 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Azastan wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:23 pm He's out of the kidney, but appears to be stuck in the Renton 'S' curves of the ureter (not the urethra, that's the last stage).
I'm glad to hear he's gotten the eviction notice and is at least on his way out.

I haven't thought about the Renton "S" curves in years. When I lived in the Seattle area, I'd always hear them mentioned during the traffic reports and it was always because traffic was slow there :)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... g-88734872
U. Michigan study to help those with autism improve driving
University of Michigan researchers are studying how well people with autism spectrum disorder can detect road hazards, and plan to assist the young motorists in sharpening their driving skills

The upcoming effort will be the second phase of a project funded by Ford Motor Co. that teams the Ann Arbor university with a local driving school.

During phase one of the study, researchers found that students with autism spectrum disorder detected fewer hazards than control participants during simulated drives.

But, according to lead researcher Elise Hodges, some extra work behind the wheel did the trick.

“Those folks that underwent training improved in two-thirds of hazards in the simulated drive,” said Hodges, a clinical associate professor in the University of Michigan’s neuropsychology program.

Indeed, the first phase of the study found that, in addition to detecting hazards, students with autism tended to slow down and “stop short” in front of stop signs.
This project was a mother's idea!👇
► Show Spoiler
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Love stories like that!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
Q. Hay, what happened to the four paragraph rule?

A. Several considerations:

WHEREAS, y'all are a lot of clever swine weasels, remember that we are the boogle :dance: and there were ways to avoid the rule, or people just said "I'm breaking the rule because it's really important :roll:" and everyone knows I stayed up all night sometimes cracking down on violators never did anything anyway, and

WHEREAS, after 13 years of copying and pasting from news services, none of them have ever complained, and I think we only make fair use of anyone else's material, and we give credit and references. We had a link to give me DCMA notice or something - nobody ever used it. Not even the copyright trolls we used to follow. Bottom line is, it hasn't been a problem, and

WHEREAS, when Fogbow began, lo these many moons ago, not all the major news services were behind paywalls. The 4 paragraph rule was, "Quote no more than 4 paragraphs from a copyrighted source, and give us a link to the source so we can read the rest ourselves, if we so choose." But today a link to the source isn't going to let us read it unless we paid a fee. Everything is behind paywalls. We can't click a link to read the rest of it any more,

THEREFORE, the 4 paragraph rule is rescinded, revoked, canceled, and flushed down the potty. Buh bye.

:wave:

HOWSOEVER, be judicious anyway, and consider the phrase "forum clutter". I don't pull my hair out any more, because it's ALL GONE after the number of unnecessary quotes around here.

The only time I have hair is when Orlylicious wants me to watch the Tee Vee.
:nooo:

That's mah rulin'.
🎶 There might have been things I missed,
but don't be unkind.
It don't mean I'm blind.
- ELP
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
Q. Hay, what happened to the four paragraph rule?

A. Several considerations:

WHEREAS, y'all are a lot of clever swine weasels (remember that we are the boogle :dance:) and it developed that there were various ways to avoid or evade the rule, or people just said "I'm breaking the rule because it's really important :roll:" so it was mostly totally ignored and everyone knows I stayed up all night sometimes cracking down on violators never did anything to enforce the stupid rule anyway, and

WHEREAS, after 13 years of us copying and pasting from news services, none of the news services have ever complained, and I think we only make fair use of anyone else's material, and we give credit and references. We had a link to give me DCMA notice or something - nobody ever used it. Not even the copyright trolls we used to follow. Bottom line is, it hasn't been a problem, and

WHEREAS, when Fogbow began, lo these many moons ago, not all the major news services were behind paywalls. The 4 paragraph rule was, "Quote no more than 4 paragraphs from a copyrighted source, and give us a link to the source so we can read the rest ourselves, if we so choose." But today a link to the source isn't going to let us read it unless we paid a fee. Everything is behind paywalls. We can't click a link to read the rest of it any more,

THEREFORE, the 4 paragraph rule is rescinded, revoked, canceled, and flushed down the potty. Buh bye.

:wave:

HOWSOEVER, be judicious anyway, and consider the phrase "forum clutter". I don't pull my hair out any more, because it's ALL GONE after the number of unnecessary quotes around here.

The only time I have hair is when Orlylicious wants me to watch the Tee Vee.
:nooo:
Then I have to wash my hair that day. Or night, as the case may be. :nope:

That's mah rulin'.
but don't be unkind.
It don't mean I'm blind.
- ELP
raison de arizona

:mbounce:
:groupdance:
:notworthy:
:splat:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I thought it was a three-paragraph rule. :bag:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Hint: for generous amount of quoting, the content past the four recommended / recinded paragraphs, put the overflow into HIDDEN brackets. It restricts the content to members only (limited auditorium) and the search engines cannot see it either aka potential right owners neither.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm good either way, but it will be easier this way. Sometimes, just one or two more extra paragraphs can make a difference. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:33 pm Hint: for generous amount of quoting, the content past the four recommended / recinded paragraphs, put the overflow into HIDDEN brackets. It restricts the content to members only (limited auditorium) and the search engines cannot see it either aka potential right owners neither.
Also SPOIL to avoid forum clutter fwiw.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... d-salyers/
Identical twins Brittany and Briana Deane were inseparable as girls growing up in Delaware. Their lives were so intertwined, in fact, that they hoped to one day fall in love with identical twin brothers and marry them.

Jeremy and Josh Salyers are also identical twins who had the same idea to marry a set of identical twin sisters.

So when the two sets of siblings met in 2017 at — where else? — the annual Twins Days Festival in Twinsburg, Ohio, they all decided this could be their perfect match. The Deanes and the Salyerses spent a year dating, and when all four were sure they had found their match, they returned to the festival and got married right there, in matching outfits.

And if that weren’t enough, the two couples — who now live in a house they share in Bedford County, Va. — went back to the twins festival earlier this month, this time with their sons, born about five months apart.
I thought it was interesting, but there was lots of criticism.

My grandfather and his brother married two sisters.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:51 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... d-salyers/
Identical twins Brittany and Briana Deane were inseparable as girls growing up in Delaware. Their lives were so intertwined, in fact, that they hoped to one day fall in love with identical twin brothers and marry them.

Jeremy and Josh Salyers are also identical twins who had the same idea to marry a set of identical twin sisters.

So when the two sets of siblings met in 2017 at — where else? — the annual Twins Days Festival in Twinsburg, Ohio, they all decided this could be their perfect match. The Deanes and the Salyerses spent a year dating, and when all four were sure they had found their match, they returned to the festival and got married right there, in matching outfits.

And if that weren’t enough, the two couples — who now live in a house they share in Bedford County, Va. — went back to the twins festival earlier this month, this time with their sons, born about five months apart.
I thought it was interesting, but there was lots of criticism.

My grandfather and his brother married two sisters.
My mom and her sister married two brothers. When I try to explain this to people I just say, "I'm twice as related to my first cousins as you are to yours."

Oh, and we all look alike. Irish. Beady eyes. No neck.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer

I watched the wedding on Tee Vee. :popcorn:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

In the TFG thread, Frater mentioned his oceanfront mansion in Kansas and it reminded me of this.

Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.openculture.com/2022/08/eve ... -beer.html
Every Style of Beer Explained: An Expert Breaks Down 100 Types of Beer, from Malty Lagers, to London Brown Ales, to Bock Beer

There was a time when one could hardly hope to enter polite society without knowing one’s Cabernets from one’s Pinots and one’s Chardonnays from one’s Rieslings. That time has not quite gone, exactly, and indeed, a greater variety of pleasures await the oenophile today than ever before. But in the twenty-first century, and especially in twenty-first century urban America, one must command a certain knowledge of beer. Even those who partake only of the occasional glass will, after a decade or two, develop a sense that they prefer a lager, say, or a stout, or the perennially trendy IPA. Yet many will also be at a loss to explain what they like about their preferred beer’s flavor, let alone its origins.

Enter Master Cicerone Pat Fahey, whose title bespeaks his vast knowledge of beer: of its nature, of its making, of its history. He puts his mastery of the subject on full display in the hourlong Wired video above, in which he breaks down every style of beer. Not most styles: every style, beginning with lagers malty and hoppy, moving through an even wider variety of ales, and ending with an extended consideration of lesser-known beers and their variations. Most all of us have sampled American lager, English porter, and even German pilsner. But can you remember when last you threw back a Flanders red ale, a doppelbock, or a wee heavy?

Fahey knows his beers, but he also knows how to talk about them to the general public. His explanatory technique involves providing generous amounts of context, not just about the parts of the world in which these beers originate (a geography and language lesson in itself) but about the ways they’ve been consumed and produced throughout history. Of that last he has a fair amount to work with, since the oldest recipe for beer, previously featured here on Open Culture, dates to 1800 B.C. The nearly four millennia of beer evolution since then have produced the formidable tap rows with which the bars of Portland, Austin, and San Diego confront us today — and which, with Fahey’s guidance, we can more credibly navigate.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Beer.

Now ...

WHEN I WAS A BOY (pt. 752):

If you wore anything EXCEPT white, calf-length athletic socks to participate in an athletic activity, you were some kind of neo-maxie zoom dweebie. No exceptions, end of story.

Today, however, NOBODY wears them. Except me, I'm still a throwback when it comes to athletic socks.

Until today, that is. Today I got with the program caved to the pressure of societal norms, because young people were giggling when they thought I wasn't looking. Under Armour, black, "no show socks".

I call it personal growth silly.
but don't be unkind.
It don't mean I'm blind.
- ELP
raison de arizona

Ah yes, a slave to fashion.

Return to “General Stuff”