Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
RVInit

Re: Trump's Classified Docs: FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - Mar-A-Lago, DOJ, Merrick Garland - GOP Madness, Fallou

Post by RVInit »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:23 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:25 pm Has anyone noticed that Mar-a-Lago went from being Trump's private, exclusive club for wealthy members only to being his "home"?
Oh, a lot of us noticed that, especially since that was a violation of the agreement allowing Merde-Lardo to be built*.

*not sure if built is the right word here
From Wikipedia and other sources:
In September 2019, Mar-a-Lago became the primary residence for Donald and Melania Trump, who previously held primary residence in New York City.[93][94] The legality of this has been disputed because, in 1993, Trump signed a "use agreement" with the town of Palm Beach, Florida, that changed Mar-a-Lago's designation from a single-family residence to a private club and specified that guests, including Trump, could not stay there more than three non-consecutive weeks per year
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
noblepa

Re: Trump's Classified Docs: FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - Mar-A-Lago, DOJ, Merrick Garland - GOP Madness, Fallou

Post by noblepa »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:06 pm
orlylicious wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:58 pm Thanks for that information, Chancery.

On the Motion, Ali Akbar is claiming credit like this is some big, never-before-seen idea that he had to fight SO HARD for.

Akbar Motion.JPG

Akbar Motion 2.JPG
Now, the FBI search was a break-in? I think I missed that one.
Didn't I hear that the FBI had to break into his safe, without benefit of the combination?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

RVInit wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:54 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:25 pm Has anyone noticed that Mar-a-Lago went from being Trump's private, exclusive club for wealthy members only to being his "home"?
Oh, a lot of us noticed that, especially since that was a violation of the agreement allowing Merde-Lardo to be built*.

From Wikipedia and other sources:
In September 2019, Mar-a-Lago became the primary residence for Donald and Melania Trump, who previously held primary residence in New York City.[93][94] The legality of this has been disputed because, in 1993, Trump signed a "use agreement" with the town of Palm Beach, Florida, that changed Mar-a-Lago's designation from a single-family residence to a private club and specified that guests, including Trump, could not stay there more than three non-consecutive weeks per year
Of course, the town of Palm Beach decided to just let it slide.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I seem to remember that there was some rationale that was used and the City Attorney declined to pursue the matter and enforce the clause in the permit that was issued when he created the private club.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

noblepa wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:54 pm
Didn't I hear that the FBI had to break into his safe, without benefit of the combination?
[/quote]

He specified his "home" in the post. They didn't break into that.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Gold Codes, the launch codes blah blah blah

:snippity:

For an extra level of security, the list of codes on the card includes codes that have no meaning, and therefore the president must memorize where on the list the correct code is located.
I think I see the problem ... :think:
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
much ado

Post by much ado »

noblepa wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:54 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:06 pm
orlylicious wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:58 pm Thanks for that information, Chancery.

On the Motion, Ali Akbar is claiming credit like this is some big, never-before-seen idea that he had to fight SO HARD for.

Akbar Motion.JPG

Akbar Motion 2.JPG
Well, Peter Ustinov did it in "We're No Angels" (1955) without benefit of the combination or key. I'm sure the FBI have technicians who can accomplish the same thing on a mere "hotel safe" without breaking anything. They just open it. Is that breaking?

From the 1955 trailer...

Always loved that movie.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

noblepa wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:54 pm :snippity:

The former guy himself mentioned that the safe was "hotel style", no major obstacle for an expierienced picker. (1) check electronic master key number for the safe type, very often never reprogrammed. (2) screw open the small access shield to the mechanical emergency lock, lock pickers just laugh at them. In rare occaisons it's still possible to trick the lock mechanism with a metal coat hanger, or a strip of aluminium from a soft drink can (or beer), the strong magnet trick could work too, the FBI would have the gadget in their toolbox.

Check The Lockpicking Lawyer on Youtube ;)
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:16 pm
Gold Codes, the launch codes blah blah blah

:snippity:

For an extra level of security, the list of codes on the card includes codes that have no meaning, and therefore the president must memorize where on the list the correct code is located.
I think I see the problem ... :think:
The nucyulear codes are:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

noblepa wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:59 pm

I seem to remember that there was some rationale that was used and the City Attorney declined to pursue the matter and enforce the clause in the permit that was issued when he created the private club.
I believe the argument became that employee on-site housing was permissible and TFG was effectively now an employee of the club as its owner. Or something like that. My eyes rolled so hard in my head that the tugging on my optic nerve caused me temporary brain damage-induced memory loss.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bob

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:51 pmDidn't his request for a Special Master mention attorney-client privilege?
There's been no motion, for a special master or anything else.

It has been suggested this "major motion" (if it is ever actually filed) would contain a request for a special master. And privileged attorney-client communications certainly would be the type of information the special master would endeavor to separate from other seized materials.

But of course there are exceptions, like no attorney-client relationship, confidentiality waived, or exceptions to the privilege, like the crime-fraud one.

At this point, however, I think the primary goals of any motion would be to continue the grift and to create delay.
Image ImageImage
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I am going out on a limb and predicting that not a single document seized by the FBI in the search is found to be protected by attorney client privilege.

To qualify, it would have to be:

1) a document addressed to Trump by one of his personal attorneys, or conversely, a document addressed to one of his personal attorneys by Trump himself, and

2) it can't be a memo with a distribution list of attorneys and non-attorneys, because he already waived the privilege by including other people, and

3) it can't be anything where the attorney works for the United States of America, and not Trump personally, and it matters not a farthing that he thought anything he said to Bill Barr was privileged, and

4) if there really are any attorney-client privileged documents - I'm talking about legitimate, actual, documents that the vast majority of judges in this great land of ours would agree are inadmissible, then

5) they would not have been placed in any of the boxes the FBI took.

That's my prediction and the reasons why I predict it.

Let's see what happens. :shrug: :smoking:
You are what you eat.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:52 pm I am going out on a limb and predicting that not a single document seized by the FBI in the search is found to be protected by attorney client privilege.

To qualify, it would have to be:

1) a document addressed to Trump by one of his personal attorneys, or conversely, a document addressed to one of his personal attorneys by Trump himself, and

2) it can't be a memo with a distribution list of attorneys and non-attorneys, because he already waived the privilege by including other people, and

3) it can't be anything where the attorney works for the United States of America, and not Trump personally, and it matters not a farthing that he thought anything he said to Bill Barr was privileged, and

4) if there really are any attorney-client privileged documents - I'm talking about legitimate, actual, documents that the vast majority of judges in this great land of ours would agree are inadmissible, then

5) they would not have been placed in any of the boxes the FBI took.

That's my prediction and the reasons why I predict it.

Let's see what happens. :shrug: :smoking:
I agree with all but five, and I sort of agree there.

The privileged nature of some of the documents might not be readily apparent, and if not, it goes in the box. They’ll often have “taint teams” review the documents if there is reason to believe any of it is privileged (we saw that with Cohen, IIRC). But you’re right to the extant that if the privileged nature of the document is apparent, the agent won’t seize it.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Second prediction:

And this one is REALLY going out on a limb. So, reasons first, prediction second.

Whether the review of the documents is done by a special master or by the judge himself, or (less than possible) agreement of the parties, the bottom line is that a ruling is made (or stipulated) that certain documents cannot be used by the government in a criminal prosecution.

That's the ONLY thing this sub-controversy is about - if Trump is charged with a crime and put on trial, can the prosecution enter the documents into evidence? Can the jury see them? :think:

Of course, that means that if there's no criminal trial, any decision about so-called attorney-client privileged documents is MEANINGLESS.

There has to be a trial, or the whole thing is an exercise in futility.

But I am not ready to predict that the DOJ is going to charge Trump with any crime at all. I think they'll back down in cowardice instead. And so, my prediction is conditional:

I predict that IF there is a criminal trial of Trump in the future, his lawyer(s) will not even bother wasting time on the issue, because the government wouldn't have any good reason to try to get a legitimately privileged document into evidence.

The bottom line is, the whole issue is kind of silly. 'Course, a lot of what we see would be silly if'n it wasn't so stinkin' dangerous.
You are what you eat.
bob

Post by bob »

Foggy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:08 pmBut I am not ready to predict that the DOJ is going to charge Trump with any crime at all.
Foogy is basically correct that all this talk about privilege is cart before horse, because it is reliant on there being either a trial, or at least the threat of a trial.

It is possible some future FOIA request may cause some of the information eventually to become public. Possible, some, and may doing the work.

I'm undecided on whether he'll be charged. The compromise may be to charge people in the inner circle, but not him personally.
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Posting this cause I just love Sherrilynn Ifill.

humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

bob wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:39 pm
Foggy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:08 pmBut I am not ready to predict that the DOJ is going to charge Trump with any crime at all.
Foogy is basically correct that all this talk about privilege is cart before horse, because it is reliant on there being either a trial, or at least the threat of a trial.

It is possible some future FOIA request may cause some of the information eventually to become public. Possible, some, and may doing the work.

I'm undecided on whether he'll be charged. The compromise may be to charge people in the inner circle, but not him personally.
Yeah, me too. On the one hand, it places the entire country in an awkward predicament. What venue would be appropriate for said trial where twelve citizens and any pinch hitters are completely ignorant of the facts not only in this case but also the unsavory reputation of the defendant? Yet on the other hand, if a president is free to commit any number of felonious acts against the country, then what is to stop the next guy (like the dude from Florida who is just as bad?) Garland would be seen as spineless and cowardly if nothing came of all this.

And, don't shovel manure to the public by using prosecutorial discretion or this classic: We considered that we could not prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Perhaps the best result possible would be as Bob suggested--charge people in his inner circle with the stipulation that tfg must testify under oath against them under a plea deal.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

humblescribe wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:45 pm Garland would be seen as spineless and cowardly if nothing came of all this.
I wish I could rely upon that motivation, but Democrats have a terrible tendency to let the top crooks go, or maybe someone can remind me, what happened to the banksters that drove our economy off the cliff in the autumn of 2008 by bundling bad real estate loans THAT THEY KNEW WERE BAD and selling them in "tranches," which is just such a sexy word! I bet it's French! Yeah, a totally sexy French word! Of course I want a tranche, on a croissant with a few cranberries and some crême de la crême or sumpin'! Hit me up!

No, wait ... none of those assholes who crashed our economy and damn near caused a second Great Depression spent a night behind bars. And I'm supposed to think Trump will be criminally prosecuted?
You are what you eat.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Was Hillary Clinton's residence ever searched?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

:yeahthat:
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
bob

Post by bob »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:29 pm Was Hillary Clinton's residence ever searched?
I've heard the assertion she voluntarily gave investigators what they were looking for. Hence, no search.

But the sources for the claim aren't entirely reliable.
Image ImageImage
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

There is one thing I haven't seen mentioned with regard to possibly charging Trump with a crime having to do with the documents seized in Mar-a-Lago.

If he were charged with mishandling classified documents, would those documents have to be shown to the jury in such a trial? If so, this raises the possibility that the DOJ may not be willing to release top-secret documents and may, therefore not charge him, calculating that the harm to national security by such a release outweighs the prosecution of TFG.

Some might interpret such a decision to decline prosecution as cowardice on the part of the DOJ and Merrick Garland, but would it be?

I believe that this sort of thing has happened before when sensitive information is involved.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text ... /section-6

Spoiler tag because you need the entire text to understand the nuances.
► Show Spoiler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Just a comment cause i cannot reseach deeper just now. but the US had in the past court cases re espionage and there sensitive documents were not mde public iirc.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

From the discussion so far I take it that the prior guy can only be liable under espionage and nuclear laws, not of mishandling classified government documents. It was explained that classified document handling was defined by presidential EO.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”