Stock Market

tek

Re: Stock Market

Post by tek »

I guess the good news about my instant immersion in some projects to bend the curve on med device and PPE availability has an upside:

I have not seen the news today until now.
There's no way back
from there to here
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Now we get a chance to see sharks in action as disaster capitalism hits our shores. How many banana republics did we rape and pillage over the years? We’d just about run out of them before trump came along and turned us into one.

Let loose the cannibals!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
bob

Post by bob »

FOX: Dow posts 2,112 point gain biggest ever:
Trump supports reopening businesses sooner rather than later

U.S. equity markets registered the strongest one-day rebound in history on Tuesday amid investor optimism that members of Congress will overcome their differences to reach a deal on a nearly $2 trillion COVID-19 stimulus package.

In the final hour of trading, gains picked up steam giving the Dow Jones Industrial Average a 2,112 point gain, the biggest ever, or 11 percent, while the S&P 500 gained over 9.3 percent and the Nasdaq over 8.1 percent.
In addition to being the largest single-day point gain, it was the fourth-largest percent gain (the largest three being during the leadup to the Great Depression).
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Haha!

Just like the last sugar high, the $2 trillion sugar high will last a couple of days until the unemployment numbers come out and the MSM starts covering the personal stories of the dead, the backup in morgues and funeral homes, the families who couldn't hold funeral services, etc.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Could be to do with Pelosi's plan that came out earlier.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'm sure that the increase in the stock market today is entirely the result of Congress getting close to a deal on a stimulus bill. It's funny, I was reading a thread over at FreeRepublic and they were convinced that the rise was a result of Trump declaring that we'd all be back to business by Easter.

This is a temporary increase. As TexasFilly points out, there's a lot of really bad news coming in the near future. This current high will quickly melt away.
Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I am thinking back to an old joke about how every time Greenspan gets the sniffles the stock market tanks. So maybe Powell had a nice lunch with ice cream and the market went up?
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

...aaaand after shooting up ~800 points first thing, the Market is now back in loss territory.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

And is well into positive territory now. Rational thinking is completely pointless trying to game this. Guess the unlimited money is having the effect.++--
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

It's a day trader's happy time. Not so much for the longer term investor.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

RoadScholar wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 am ...aaaand after shooting up ~800 points first thing, the Market is now back in loss territory.
Shirley this can't be good for Trump's heart or emotional health anger management. This gives me some karmic relief. 8-)
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: LDIT Supporters are "Shooketh"! -- Ali Akbar 11/29/20 #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Bernard is threatening a HOLD on the whole Senate bill if they don't make changes. One Senator can do it. Market lost lots of their gains from Dow +900 to +495.

Airline bailouts include exec pay, bonuses and apparently some are considering not taking it.

Nail Salons may close forever. -- CNBC

Bernard's threat had an impact on the market. I can't imagine this was helpful with leadership and members. Three GOP senators had objections, it was stopped -- why now Bernard??

Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
tek

Post by tek »

totally in character:
My way or the highway.

Sit the f'k down, Bernie.
There's no way back
from there to here
bob

Post by bob »

NBC: Dow drops more than 800 points as worries over coronavirus intensify:
Stocks sank on Wednesday as Wall Street kicked off the second quarter on a sour note thanks to persistent concerns over the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average traded more than 800 points lower, or 4%. The 30-stock average hit a session low around 12:40 p.m. ET, trading more than 950 points lower. The S&P 500 slid 4.2% while the Nasdaq Composite lost 3.8%.

President Donald Trump said Tuesday evening the U.S. should prepare for a “very, very painful two weeks” from the rampant coronavirus. White House officials are projecting between 100,000 and 240,000 virus deaths in the U.S.

“This is going to be a rough two-week period,” Trump said at a White House press conference. “When you look at night the kind of death that has been caused by this invisible enemy, it’s incredible.”
But at least the impeached president wasn't wearing a tan suit.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Addie

Post by Addie »

Bloomberg: Oil plunges below zero for first time in unprecedented wipeout

Of all the wild, unprecedented swings in financial markets since the coronavirus pandemic broke out, none has been more jaw-dropping than Monday’s collapse in a key segment of U.S. oil trading.

The price on the futures contract for West Texas crude that is due to expire Tuesday fell into negative territory -- minus $37.63 a barrel.

That’s right, sellers were actually paying buyers to take the stuff off their hands.

The reason: with the pandemic bringing the economy to a standstill, there is so much unused oil sloshing around that American energy companies have run out of room to store it.

And if there’s no place to put the oil, no one wants a crude contract that is about to come due.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Addie wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:00 pm

Of all the wild, unprecedented swings in financial markets since the coronavirus pandemic broke out, none has been more jaw-dropping than Monday’s collapse in a key segment of U.S. oil trading.

:snippity:
Isn't that going to bankrupt the Russians almost immediately?
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Dan1100 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:12 pm
Addie wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:00 pm

:snippity:
Isn't that going to bankrupt the Russians almost immediately?
Many other oil-producing countries as well. :?
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

so how exactly does it work when prices are negative?

does that mean that Texas has to pay US to take their oil?
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:39 pm so how exactly does it work when prices are negative?

does that mean that Texas has to pay US to take their oil?
The way I understand it, which is probably grossly over simplified:

You have a contract to take some oil. You don't have any place to put it because you are just some guy in a cube and were planning on selling the contract. The cost of storing it exceeds its value. You can't flush it down the sewers, so you have to pay someone to take the contract because it will cost them money to store it.
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

This article from CNBC explains the oil futures a bit more: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/oil-mar ... emand.html

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

TexasFilly wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:53 pm This article from CNBC explains the oil futures a bit more: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/oil-mar ... emand.html
So I have to pay inflated prices based on the futures market while making those in that get rewarded in good times. But I also now have to pay a because of lack of demand. Maybe the traders should have set up a rainy day account like average people do. Greedy Wall Street vultures. Nobody was helping average people with cash when we were at $4.00/gallon.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

That’s the thing about commodities: you screw up, you have to figure out where to put your pork bellies or corn or oil when they deliver it.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

The shale industry is going to get wiped out, and I'm not particularly sad about that.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Yes, let me shed a tear for the Fracking industry.
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

fierceredpanda wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:09 pm The shale industry is going to get wiped out, and I'm not particularly sad about that.
I was digging around for news of new layoffs in the industry but came up short. You know they are coming.

My son has two friends who went to Texas A&M. One became a Petroleum Engineer, the other a Mechanical Engineer who happens to work in an oil-related business. The ME is much smarter. If you've lived in Houston for long enough, you see the boom and bust, and I've seen Petroleum Engineers who have never gotten re-employed in that field. At least the ME has skills that are applicable elsewhere.

Return to “Economy”