What are you watching on TV these days?

PatGund

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by PatGund »

Jeffrey wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:19 am Tiger King is getting excellent reviews.
Utter train wreck. And a massively sexist, biased, and bullshit story at that. Basically if you like two "Good Ol' Boys" lashing out against a woman they see as a threat, it's great. You have the Gay Redneck Gunhumper (Joe Exotic) who keeps marrying straight men (and was convicted on a Murder for Hire and Animal Abuse charges), And then there's the creepy Dom type ("Doc" Antle) that seems to be grooming younger women for his sex cult.

Yet the narrative is that the woman running a internationally known and accredited sanctuary (Carole Baskin) with a 4.0 star rating from Charity Navigator, is somehow the bad guy.

Bonus. Donald Trump Jr. wants Daddykins if he could pardon "Joe Exotic"

Donald Trump says he will 'look at' pardoning Tiger King's Joe Exotic after Don Jr. said zoo-owner's 22-year prison sentence for murder-for-hire seemed 'aggressive'
President Trump said he would look at pardoning Joe Exotic, the star of the Netflix series 'Tiger King' who is currently serving 22 years in prison for a murder-for-hire plot.

'I'll take a look,' Trump said Wednesday at the White House, telling reporters that he had not seen the show, which has been a ratings hit as Americans stay at home through the coronavirus crisis.

On Monday on SiriusXM, Donald Trump Jr. had called Exotic's sentence 'aggressive' after watching the documentary series in two sittings.

bob

Post by bob »

PatGund wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:13 amYet the narrative is that the woman running a internationally known and accredited sanctuary (Carole Baskin) with a 4.0 star rating from Charity Navigator, is somehow the bad guy.
Sekrit Stuffs!
"For completeness," there's also her former husband's disappearance. But the documentary reality show slants to suggest she killed him, to fulfill its narrative of "they're all bad (but Carole's the worst)."

My favorite part was the brief reference to Bill O'Relly; when I saw him, I exclaimed, "Fuck it, we'll do it live!"
On Monday on SiriusXM, Donald Trump Jr. had called Exotic's sentence 'aggressive' after watching the documentary series in two sittings.
Let those among us who have never hired a con to murder a rival cast the first stone!

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

PatGund wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:13 am Yet the narrative is that the woman running a internationally known and accredited sanctuary (Carole Baskin) with a 4.0 star rating from Charity Navigator, is somehow the bad guy.
That is a terrible interpretation of the series.

PatGund

Post by PatGund »

Jeffrey wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:31 am
PatGund wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:13 am Yet the narrative is that the woman running a internationally known and accredited sanctuary (Carole Baskin) with a 4.0 star rating from Charity Navigator, is somehow the bad guy.
That is a terrible interpretation of the series.
I thought it was a fairly accurate interpretation of that train wreck. The sexism is very blatant and very blunt, with the two men being shown as just "Good ol' boys".

Honestly, I think the producers went into it planning it to be a hit piece against Carole Baskin, and only Joe Exotics behavior and attempted murder for hire scheme slowed that plan down any.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

The two men that the series says groomed minors into tiger meth sex cults are portrayed as "good old boys"?

You must have fallen asleep while watching.

PatGund

Post by PatGund »

Jeffrey wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:13 am The two men that the series says groomed minors into tiger meth sex cults are portrayed as "good old boys"?

You must have fallen asleep while watching.
I didm't say they WERE. I said that the show seemed to be trying to make them out to be such.

Personally, I think they're scum

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

How is the series making them look like good old boys when the series emphasizes that they were sex predators?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:35 pm On YouTube every day at 5 eastern Michael Symon has been cooking something from his kitchen. He's got RA and is immune-compromised so he can't go out much, so his wife runs the camera and he cooks things all of us can and talks the viewers through various substitute ingredients and tells the story behind where the dish comes from and how to make it. It's really sweet, he's a good teacher and his puppy is cute.
Thank you for posting this. I watched most of his "One Pot Chicken" show last night. While decades of cooking has taught me a great deal of this stuff, his suggestions for substitutions (i.e., how to use what you have) were great. Highly recommend!

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
PatGund

Post by PatGund »

Jeffrey wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:10 am How is the series making them look like good old boys when the series emphasizes that they were sex predators?
Funny, I must have missed the series going into much detail about either of them being sex preditors. Yes, there was the interview with one of Antle's formers, but seriously, if you blinked you would have almost missed it. A lot of it was Joe's slide into obsession and madness, and the people defending him and bad-mouthing Carole Baskin.

(Oh, and there was misgendering and deadnaming a Transman as well for the sexism parade)

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Did you watch all six episodes? It was a continuing theme throughout the series. Joe’s serial pattern of turning teenage drug addicts into his personal sex slaves was hammered pretty strongly.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

TexasFilly wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:49 pm
Thank you for posting this. I watched most of his "One Pot Chicken" show last night. While decades of cooking has taught me a great deal of this stuff, his suggestions for substitutions (i.e., how to use what you have) were great. Highly recommend!
He's just enjoyable to watch, and I'm becoming better in the kitchen because of it.

PatGund

Post by PatGund »

Jeffrey wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:42 pm Did you watch all six episodes? It was a continuing theme throughout the series. Joe’s serial pattern of turning teenage drug addicts into his personal sex slaves was hammered pretty strongly.
Yes, I forced myself though all six of those mind-bleedingly awful train wrecks (and they're going to do a seventh, gag!)

They really glossed over Joe and Doc's behavior to bash on Carole.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

I must say the last few posts were confusing the heck out of me, as I was only reading the reply and not the quoted text. The one-pot chicken guy is a train wreck sex predator? Mind-bleedingly awful but an enjoyable watch? NO. READ THE WHOLE THING. :shock: Never mind. :oops:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
bob

Post by bob »

Whatever4 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:06 pmThe one-pot chicken guy is a train wreck sex predator? Mind-bleedingly awful but an enjoyable watch?
Then you definitely don't want to know about the sub-subplot about Joe Exotic's pizzeria. (Yes, it was A Thing!)

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
kate520

Post by kate520 »

We started watching Ozark last night. I don’t think I’ll finish it but mr520 likes it.

Maybe it’s my mood (generally pissy); maybe it’s all the unlikable characters ( Jason Bateman partially excepted); maybe it’s the volume at which mr needs to watch because his ears are plugged up from kayaking; maybe I’m just not sophisticated enough. 🤪 The scenery is gorgeous. ;)

DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

kate520 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:18 pm We started watching Ozark last night. I don’t think I’ll finish it but mr520 likes it.

Maybe it’s my mood (generally pissy); maybe it’s all the unlikable characters ( Jason Bateman partially excepted); maybe it’s the volume at which mr needs to watch because his ears are plugged up from kayaking; maybe I’m just not sophisticated enough. 🤪 The scenery is gorgeous. ;)
Two words: wireless headphones. Put them on mr520 and he can crank the sound up all he wants.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

I've been watching Grantchester and "Professor T." "Professor T." is a broken detective show (new mystery every week, detective is brilliant but nuts and unlikable. Monk, House, Sherlock, etc.) but I don't know if I can stick it out. He's really broken. Grantchester is quite well done, and I love the scenery and the plots. Also the tortured priest detective is always a winner.

I don't know if I liked "A Pale Horse." It's an Agatha Christie book, but the show seems more like an Alfred Hitchcock. Not the nice ones either. A character fantasizes about clubbing another with a leg of lamb for example. OTOH when they remake North by Northwest they have to have Rufus Sewell in the Cary Grant role. So I really enjoyed most of it.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I've had quite enough darkness for a while, so I'm going to drop Black Spot, at least for the time being. Maybe I'll give Grantchester a try. I disliked Tiger King immensely. I love Ozark and Bosch is almost here. :daydream: Why is TexasFilly not naming a show she likes? :confused:

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
kate520

Post by kate520 »

clubbing another with a leg of lamb
Ah, the old Raoul Dahl gambit!
He was dark. In addition to the story about the woman who killed her husband with a frozen leg of lamb and then popped it in the oven and served it to the cops when they came to investigate, there’s the Pamplona restaurant bullfighter story “Oh but Senor. The bullfighter does not always win.” And the band of nuclear war survivors - whose turn it is to provide dinner?

DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I’m binging The Wire again. This is my fourth or fifth time through. This is, IMO, one of the best shows ever on television. The story, the character development, the writing ... it’s all so good.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

For light humor and "video wallpaper", as I worked the last week or two, I played the two seasons of "Superior Donuts" on Prime.

I didn't want any shootings or explosions, dark themes, or long engaged plot twists. Simple sit-com was perfect.

The Mercury Project
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:39 am I’m binging The Wire again. This is my fourth or fifth time through. This is, IMO, one of the best shows ever on television. The story, the character development, the writing ... it’s all so good.
ITA. All things in life reference back to The Wire.

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Lie to Me

I’m a Tim Roth fan.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

kate520 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:53 am Lie to Me

I’m a Tim Roth fan.
That was his best effort. We enjoyed it too. Where did you find it?

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:39 am I’m binging The Wire again. This is my fourth or fifth time through. This is, IMO, one of the best shows ever on television. The story, the character development, the writing ... it’s all so good.
I always pick up new stuff when I watch it again. Like there is a 3 second shot of Rawls that when I noticed it, totally forced me to rethink everything about his character.

Return to “The Lounge”