Malaria Drugs, Antibiotics and Other COVID19 "Treatments"

Somerset

Re: Malaria Drugs, Antibiotics and Other COVID19 "Treatments"

Post by Somerset »

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:29 pm
I have to say that I can't remember any incidences ever of any anti-bacterial/parasitoid ever being even remotely effective against a virus. I am having a really hard time seeing why now would be ANY different. Other than the obvious reasons I mean.
I think the idea is that they may mitigate the symptoms and help the body survive long enough to fight the viral infection itself.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Somerset, I will admit I was somewhat shocked by your post, but like I said, we're all going through a stressful time, and I maybe just a little bit understand that your wife is out of the country and you're not sure when you will see her again. So I quietly deleted the post and hoped you wouldn't notice.

But I know some others here are going through a ton of pain and anguish, that I can't even talk about because they haven't gone public. This fucking virus is killing people, and we're not exempt. So it wasn't just your post, it was the one where someone was told their signature, of all things, is "a fucking lie" and a couple of other posts I won't describe further.

And I'm not immune to the stress myself, of course. My dad is 92 and living in an independent living facility, and I had planned to go visit him the week of March 16th. I'm terrified I'll never see him again. I have other family members at risk.

But I realize, what makes this forum work is that we like and respect each other and help each other through hard times. I don't know if Danraft is right or wrong, but he's not Slarti. I've spent many hours with Slarti in person. He's really a nice guy, even if he is a little ... grandiose sometimes.

But he showed up yesterday and gave us all a very heartfelt apology for some of the things he's said and done over the years. I've done that in other circumstances, and it's not easy. So I don't believe for a Noo Yawk minnit that at the same time, he's running a sockpuppet on the board. No.

Anyway, I hope you have no hard feelings about me deleting your post, and again, all I'm saying is that we have to help each other get through this nightmare.

I'll be walking outside for a while, and try to get my head cleared. :bighug:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

And hay, wasn't one of the other arguments against chloroquine that there are people who need it for other medical problems? If there's a bright side to this, maybe they're going to ramp up production of it, and maybe it will be less expensive than it has been. Or maybe Psychobozo will jack up the price, I dunno. I just haven't seen that aspect of it discussed in this thread yet.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Foggy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:36 pm
Somerset, I will admit I was somewhat shocked by your post, but like I said, we're all going through a stressful time, and I maybe just a little bit understand that your wife is out of the country and you're not sure when you will see her again. So I quietly deleted the post and hoped you wouldn't notice.

But I know some others here are going through a ton of pain and anguish, that I can't even talk about because they haven't gone public. This fucking virus is killing people, and we're not exempt. So it wasn't just your post, it was the one where someone was told their signature, of all things, is "a fucking lie" and a couple of other posts I won't describe further.

And I'm not immune to the stress myself, of course. My dad is 92 and living in an independent living facility, and I had planned to go visit him the week of March 16th. I'm terrified I'll never see him again. I have other family members at risk.

But I realize, what makes this forum work is that we like and respect each other and help each other through hard times. I don't know if Danraft is right or wrong, but he's not Slarti. I've spent many hours with Slarti in person. He's really a nice guy, even if he is a little ... grandiose sometimes.

But he showed up yesterday and gave us all a very heartfelt apology for some of the things he's said and done over the years. I've done that in other circumstances, and it's not easy. So I don't believe for a Noo Yawk minnit that at the same time, he's running a sockpuppet on the board. No.

Anyway, I hope you have no hard feelings about me deleting your post, and again, all I'm saying is that we have to help each other get through this nightmare.

I'll be walking outside for a while, and try to get my head cleared. :bighug:
And I’ll take a ride to do the same. Thanks :bighug:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

There is valid evidence that losartan is effective in treating COVID-19 patients.

That one of the drugs that they were giving Erika.

I take it for other conditions. I just restocked my 90 day supply.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:03 pm

Let's say 100 people have the virus and of those 100, 95 are expected to make a full recovery anyway. So you give 50 of them the anti-malaria drug and the other 50 a placebo and of the first 50, 48 recover and of the other 50, 47 recover. How can you tell the drug did any good vs people would have recovered anyway?
There are other important outcomes to look at. Such as the percentage of patients in each group who recovered without needing hospitalization. Also too, among those needing hospitalization, was the hospital stay shorter for the group getting the drug of interest?
Am I being detained?

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Somerset wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:10 pm
I said it because he talks authoritatively about things he isn't an authority on.
I think that’s the more interesting broader conversation. This is the culmination of the mostly right-wing multi-decade war on science and expertise in general. “Don’t trust climatologists when they say global warming is real. Don’t trust doctors when they say vaccines are beneficial.” Etc. Now people are trusting Trump over Fauci.

And I hope you weren’t suggesting me and Dan share headspace.

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Jeffrey wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:17 pm
Somerset wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:10 pm
I said it because he talks authoritatively about things he isn't an authority on.
I think that’s the more interesting broader conversation. This is the culmination of the mostly right-wing multi-decade war on science and expertise in general. “Don’t trust climatologists when they say global warming is real. Don’t trust doctors when they say vaccines are beneficial.” Etc. Now people are trusting Trump over Fauci.

And I hope you weren’t suggesting me and Dan share headspace.
Absolutely not ;)

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:59 pm
There is valid evidence that losartan is effective in treating COVID-19 patients.

That one of the drugs that they were giving Erika.

I take it for other conditions. I just restocked my 90 day supply.
Me too. I'm set on bp drugs for about four months. :heart:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:29 pm
I have to say that I can't remember any incidences ever of any anti-bacterial/parasitoid ever being even remotely effective against a virus. I am having a really hard time seeing why now would be ANY different. Other than the obvious reasons I mean.
I understand that these medicaments (malaria and the second one) are not there to directly fight the coronavirus, but can be used to give the patient relieve on some of the pneumonia and other side effects of the illness. As always mentioned under the direction of a doctor, and not to be used as self medication in advance. individual-1 needs to shut up, he is not MD! :evil:

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

From Orac at his Respectful Insolence blog. "Orac" is the pen name of an oncologist, and he blogs about quackery.

Hydroxychloroquine and COVID-19: Science-based medicine has no chance against Donald Trump, Peter Navarro, and Dr. Oz
https://respectfulinsolence.com/2020/04 ... avarro-oz/
I hadn’t planned on writing about the overblown promotion of antimalarial drugs like chloroquine and hydrochloroquine to treat COVID-19 so soon. After all, there’s very little in the way of new science. The state of our knowledge about whether hydroxychloroquine might be a useful treatment for COVID-19 is basically unchanged since Friday. Unfortunately, over the weekend, the quackery-promoting right wing noise machine, led by President Trump, went into high gear promoting this unproven drug as a treatment for coronavirus. I also learned more about the sources influencing Trump to do this, primarily Peter Navarro, Rudy Giuliani, and—who else?—America’s quack Dr. Mehmet Oz.
:snippity:
First off, Navarro’s arrogance of ignorance is so extreme that he refers to his view as a “second opinion” to that of Dr. Fauci. I suppose that, literally, it is an “opinion,” but it’s an uninformed and ignorant one from someone who has no clue about clinical trial design. Next, contrary to Navarro’s claims, there are not “numerous studies” on these drugs and COVID-19. There just aren’t. I’ve documented the pathetic handful of studies that currently exist and why they don’t provide a strong signal of efficacy for hydroxychloroquine. Hilariously, Navarro then touts his qualifications as a social scientist with a PhD and he “understands how to read statistical studies, whether it’s in medicine and law.” (His PhD is in economics, which certainly doesn’t qualify him to interpret clinical trial and biomedical study data.) I would counter that, whatever Navarro might have learned about statistics during his studies, he appears to have forgotten if he thinks the studies supporting the use of hydroxychloroquine are strong.

When I first watched the video, I was happy to see John Berman pushing back, countering by saying that none of that qualifies Navarro to treat patients. Navarro does mention that nearly every COVID-19 patient in New York receives hydroxychloroquine. Sadly, that’s true. However, Berman cleverly pushed back some more by quoting doctors actually using the drug and pointing out that they told him that they don’t know if it works, contrasting their uncertainty to Navarro, “as a social scientist with no medical training” (a delightful twist of the knife), claiming that it definitely does. In response, Navarro basically backs off and retreated to JAQING off, and claiming that he never said that hydroxychloroquine definitely worked. As for me, I can attest that doctors I’ve communicated with using hydroxychloroquine to treat patients tell me that they are unimpressed and don’t think it works. Certainly, they have seen no dramatic effects.

As I’ve described before, the infatuation of the medical profession with hydroxychloroquine based on a dubious observation in Wuhan based on small numbers in January that patients with lupus don’t get COVID-19, anecdotes from China that led to an “expert opinion” that was widely adopted in numerous other countries, and a handful of negative or equivocal studies so flawed that they are uninformative has led to hydroxychloroquine becoming, in essence, standard of care for COVID-19. This has been an epic failure of science- and evidence-based medicine. This was true before the right wing noise machine latched on to these drugs.

Unfortunately, now that Trump propagandists and the usual bunch of scammers and grifters have glommed on to promoting these drugs as a “game changer” and the “beginning of the end of the pandemic,” the hope that evidence-based medicine will be allowed to do its work looks increasingly grim. Indeed, I predict that, even if doctors can now get enough patients to agree to possibly being randomized to a placebo in the face of all the media messaging that these drugs work and sufficiently powered clinical trials are negative, no one will believe them, and the same grifters will proclaim the results a conspiracy to keep evidence of a “cure” for COVID-19 from the people.
I've heard this bull before.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:27 pm
From Orac at his Respectful Insolence blog. "Orac" is the pen name of an oncologist, and he blogs about quackery.
You can follow him on twitter. He's on lockdown so he's posting a lot.

His latest summary of the cloroquine evidence:
Sekrit Stuffs!
David Gorski, MD, PhD
@gorskon
·
1h
Replying to
@aliciaeven

@thereal_truther
and 2 others
List the trials. I know of only four: The two French trials by Didier Raoult, which were so flawed as to be uninformative; a small Chinese trial, which was negative; and a small Chinese trial that was positive but also so flawed that its result is very much questionable.
Face with rolling eyes

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Just to clear the air-I love you all and I hope I have not been a source of anger

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) removed guidance from its website regarding drugs touted by President Trump as possible treatments for the coronavirus amid disputes over their effectiveness.

The CDC had initially included guidance regarding dosage for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, the drugs recommended by Trump, noting that anecdotal evidence existed for their effectiveness.

“Although optimal dosing and duration of hydroxychloroquine for treatment of COVID-19 are unknown, some U.S. clinicians have reported anecdotally different hydroxychloroquine dosing," read the original guidance before including the dosage examples.

However, the CDC’s website, which was updated Tuesday, no longer includes that statement, instead stating that the drugs "are under investigation in clinical trials" to be used on patients infected with coronavirus.
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/49170 ... d-by-trump

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

CDC via The Hill and Chilidog wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:56 am
However, the CDC’s website, which was updated Tuesday, no longer includes that statement, instead stating that the drugs "are under investigation in clinical trials" to be used on patients infected with coronavirus.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/49170 ... d-by-trump
But but but … why do they need clinical trials? Trump says chloroquine/hydrochloroquine is good, tremendous, beautiful, isn't that evidence enough? He had told us that he's an expert on virology and respiratory infections, so surely his knowledge of the efficacy of drug treatments for Covid-19 should not be doubted! Damn the liberal, Democrat-infested CDC for trying to block the President's excellent plan to save America!
:sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Lani

Post by Lani »

Trump is going around the CDC to promote his miracle drug. He's America's Hero!!! Kayleigh McEnany has already interviewed the doctor in the articles - for a campaign series called American Heroes.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/tru ... s-70031377
s
AUSTIN, Texas -- When a coronavirus outbreak hit a Texas nursing home, Dr. Robin Armstrong reached for an unproven treatment: the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine.

First, he needed to find a supply. But at a moment when President Donald Trump is heavily promoting the drug, Armstrong is no regular physician. He is a Republican National Committee member and GOP activist in Houston, and after calling Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, the Texas chairman of Trump's presidential campaign in 2016, Armstrong soon had enough doses to begin treating 27 infected residents of The Resort at Texas City.
https://www.galvnews.com/news/free/arti ... fc008.html
Abbott announced the nursing home’s use of the drug during a televised update about the state’s reaction to the coronavirus on Monday afternoon. The drug was being used to “determine whether or not it will be a successful treatment for those patients,” Abbott said.

The nursing home began using the treatment Saturday, Armstrong said.

Families of residents were not notified before the drugs were administered, but nursing home operators were in the process of notifying them Monday, Armstrong said.
Asked whether he was required to get permission from the Texas Department of State Health Services to administer hydroxychloroquine to COVID-19 patients, Armstrong said no.
The Galveston County Health District was not involved in the decision to use the drug in Texas City, a spokeswoman said.
https://www.galvnews.com/news/free/arti ... fc008.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:twisted: We need Alex Jones get his Youtube channel back and give individual-1 his own segment :!:

:doh: two ranting maniacs :blackeye:

Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:27 pm

Hydroxychloroquine and COVID-19: Science-based medicine has no chance against Donald Trump, Peter Navarro, and Dr. Oz
https://respectfulinsolence.com/2020/04 ... avarro-oz/
I hadn’t planned on writing about the overblown promotion of antimalarial drugs like chloroquine and hydrochloroquine to treat COVID-19 so soon. After all, there’s very little in the way of new science. The state of our knowledge about whether hydroxychloroquine might be a useful treatment for COVID-19 is basically unchanged since Friday. Unfortunately, over the weekend, the quackery-promoting right wing noise machine, led by President Trump, went into high gear promoting this unproven drug as a treatment for coronavirus. I also learned more about the sources influencing Trump to do this, primarily Peter Navarro, Rudy Giuliani, and—who else?—America’s quack Dr. Mehmet Oz.
First off, Navarro’s arrogance of ignorance is so extreme that he refers to his view as a “second opinion” to that of Dr. Fauci. I suppose that, literally, it is an “opinion,” but it’s an uninformed and ignorant one from someone who has no clue about clinical trial design. Next, contrary to Navarro’s claims, there are not “numerous studies” on these drugs and COVID-19. There just aren’t. I’ve documented the pathetic handful of studies that currently exist and why they don’t provide a strong signal of efficacy for hydroxychloroquine. Hilariously, Navarro then touts his qualifications as a social scientist with a PhD and he “understands how to read statistical studies, whether it’s in medicine and law.” (His PhD is in economics, which certainly doesn’t qualify him to interpret clinical trial and biomedical study data.) I would counter that, whatever Navarro might have learned about statistics during his studies, he appears to have forgotten if he thinks the studies supporting the use of hydroxychloroquine are strong.

When I first watched the video, I was happy to see John Berman pushing back, countering by saying that none of that qualifies Navarro to treat patients. Navarro does mention that nearly every COVID-19 patient in New York receives hydroxychloroquine. Sadly, that’s true. However, Berman cleverly pushed back some more by quoting doctors actually using the drug and pointing out that they told him that they don’t know if it works, contrasting their uncertainty to Navarro, “as a social scientist with no medical training” (a delightful twist of the knife), claiming that it definitely does. In response, Navarro basically backs off and retreated to JAQING off, and claiming that he never said that hydroxychloroquine definitely worked. As for me, I can attest that doctors I’ve communicated with using hydroxychloroquine to treat patients tell me that they are unimpressed and don’t think it works. Certainly, they have seen no dramatic effects.

As I’ve described before, the infatuation of the medical profession with hydroxychloroquine based on a dubious observation in Wuhan based on small numbers in January that patients with lupus don’t get COVID-19, anecdotes from China that led to an “expert opinion” that was widely adopted in numerous other countries, and a handful of negative or equivocal studies so flawed that they are uninformative has led to hydroxychloroquine becoming, in essence, standard of care for COVID-19. This has been an epic failure of science- and evidence-based medicine. This was true before the right wing noise machine latched on to these drugs.

Unfortunately, now that Trump propagandists and the usual bunch of scammers and grifters have glommed on to promoting these drugs as a “game changer” and the “beginning of the end of the pandemic,” the hope that evidence-based medicine will be allowed to do its work looks increasingly grim. Indeed, I predict that, even if doctors can now get enough patients to agree to possibly being randomized to a placebo in the face of all the media messaging that these drugs work and sufficiently powered clinical trials are negative, no one will believe them, and the same grifters will proclaim the results a conspiracy to keep evidence of a “cure” for COVID-19 from the people.
Is it my understanding based on these quacks' opinion that if there is a person who is currently taking hydroxychloroquine for lupus that person will not contract COVID-19? If that is their position, then there should be a double blind control study of non lupus group and lupus group and see what happens.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

sad-cafe wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:36 pm
Just to clear the air-I love you all and I hope I have not been a source of anger
Love back, and I think the stress of the current events is showing.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

More bad news:
The hydroxychloroquine-azithromycin combination, "we have already had to stop treatment" announces the head of the cardiology department of the Nice University Hospital
Sekrit Stuffs!

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

One patient has been removed from the trial, not the whole trial has been ended.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Azastan wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:31 pm
One patient has been removed from the trial, not the whole trial has been ended.
As you say.

I'm baffled by Professor Émile Ferrari's comment quoted at the end of the article in Nice-Matin:
Votre avis personnel sur ce cocktail?
"Certes le Covid-19 tue mais il ne faudrait pas, chez des patients, dont l’évolution spontanée est favorable et en particulier chez des patients ambulatoires, que le remède soit plus néfaste que la maladie elle-même."
I struggle with untangling this (it has a whiff of the interminable, meanderingpanel discussions that French television current affairs loves). I get:
Your personal opinion about this cocktail?
"Certainly Covid-19 kills but it shouldn't, in patients where the spontaneous development is favorable, and especially in ambulatory patients, be that the remedy is more damaging than the disease itself."
If he's saying as a principle that the cure mustn't be worse than the disease, that's too trivial, so I think he's saying more than that, but it's too subtle for my very low grade and rusty French skills. Is he saying that in appropriate patients it won't be worse than the disease? Or what?

Perhaps a native speaker or ninja could elucidate? The clauses and subjunctives are piled too deep for me!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

The other issue is that the treatment must actually treat the illness, it also helps if the tested treatment doesn't harm the patient.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:25 pm

Perhaps a native speaker or ninja could elucidate? The clauses and subjunctives are piled too deep for me!
By no means a native speaker, and my French is probably rustier than yours, but I ran into the same problem as you in trying to figure out what was meant.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Just talked to my friend who is on chlor....quine for her scleroderma and she is on the verge of panic. Her usual 90 day supply has been cut down to a 7 day supply, so not only is she in danger of not getting her meds, she's also forced to leave the house weekly to pick it up. 2 of the people she knows who are on it have already been unable to fill their prescriptions this week. She's terrified she'll be next because of people and hospitals hoarding it for no fucking reason.

Fuck these people. Fuck all these people.

Return to “Coronavirus”