January 6 Select Committee

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: January 6 Select Committee

Post by northland10 »

Another loser who Trump doesn't know. And Trump have her a job to help her out. Disloyal.
101010 :towel:
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Fantastic and sobering article.
Kendra wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:50 pm
NEW from
@gridnews
: A dizzying number of January 6 figures are tied to a network of MAGA groups -- that all appear to operate from the same Capitol Hill townhouse.

Meet the Insurrectionists' clubhouse:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Is it next Tuesday yet? :waiting:

Meantime:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/05/politics ... index.html
Sarah Matthews, who served as deputy press secretary in the Trump White House until resigning shortly after the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, has been subpoenaed by the House select committee investigating the insurrection and has agreed to testify at an upcoming hearing, according to two sources with knowledge of the investigation.

Matthews has been subpoenaed to testify at a public hearing as early as next week, sources tell CNN.

Matthews resigned the night of January 6, 2021, saying in a statement that she was honored to serve in then-President Donald Trump’s administration but “was deeply disturbed by what I saw.” She added: “Our nation needs a peaceful transfer of power.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

A reasonable Republican.

Next up: Unicorns.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEWS: Deal for Cipollone to testify on Friday in transcribed interview, per person briefed on the matter.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Source familiar says Cipollone's Friday interview will be videotaped
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:23 pm :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

Greg Kelly should just avoid being in the public eye.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/tv-anchor-gre ... d=15444798
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Looks like we may get a hearing on Thursday too.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

neeneko wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:36 pm
johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:42 pm But I think these protocols won't necessarily reduce the amount of death threats made. Cheap prepaid burner phones don't require proof of ID the way that regular monthly service does. And certain VOIP network (Skype is an example of this sort of network) also don't require positive identification to get the service.
If such a service became available, it would have to be something implemented at the reciver's telco level, some kind of 'blanket reject calls that do not meet XYZ criteria', so if they come from an easily spoofed source, they would get blocked.
I am not a telco expert, either, but it seems to me that the originating telco MUST know the real phone number of the caller. Otherwise, how would they bill the user? So, that is where the spoofing must occur. It seems to me that the originating telco could simply send the originating caller's number, rather than some random number that the caller chooses.

I have heard arguments that spoofing is necessary and has legitimate purposes. One reason given is an outside salesman for a company who uses his/her own cell phone for business. By spoofing the originating number as the Company's number, rather than his own, the company's name and number appear on the recipient's phone. I believe that there are other ways of accomplishing this. For example, having the salesman call a secure number at the company that relays the call.

I'm not against the ability of the caller to block caller id. I am against the caller lying to me, which is what spoofing is. I once got a call from my own phone, which I don't believe is possible. If caller id is blocked, the recipient still has the option to decline to answer.

I don't understand why a law could not be passed mandating that the originating telco supply the REAL phone number of the caller, unless the caller has blocked caller id.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

noblepa wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:59 pm
johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:42 pm But I think these protocols won't necessarily reduce the amount of death threats made. Cheap prepaid burner phones don't require proof of ID the way that regular monthly service does. And certain VOIP network (Skype is an example of this sort of network) also don't require positive identification to get the service.
If such a service became available, it would have to be something implemented at the reciver's telco level, some kind of 'blanket reject calls that do not meet XYZ criteria', so if they come from an easily spoofed source, they would get blocked.
I am not a telco expert, either, but it seems to me that the originating telco MUST know the real phone number of the caller. Otherwise, how would they bill the user? So, that is where the spoofing must occur. It seems to me that the originating telco could simply send the originating caller's number, rather than some random number that the caller chooses.

I have heard arguments that spoofing is necessary and has legitimate purposes. One reason given is an outside salesman for a company who uses his/her own cell phone for business. By spoofing the originating number as the Company's number, rather than his own, the company's name and number appear on the recipient's phone. I believe that there are other ways of accomplishing this. For example, having the salesman call a secure number at the company that relays the call.

I'm not against the ability of the caller to block caller id. I am against the caller lying to me, which is what spoofing is. I once got a call from my own phone, which I don't believe is possible. If caller id is blocked, the recipient still has the option to decline to answer.

I don't understand why a law could not be passed mandating that the originating telco supply the REAL phone number of the caller, unless the caller has blocked caller id.
Some services exist to say spoof your number to the local area code of where you're calling. I know I've done it for business because usually people will pick up if it's a local number calling. Also NYC numbers seem to get a high response rate or DC area codes. There's also a calling card you can buy where you can spoof any number. I used to do it to friends and just spoof 666 as my number.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:30 pm I know I've done it for business because usually people will pick up if it's a local number calling.
Heh. I actually use the opposite as a filter. I don't know anyone in my area code, so any 'local' call is going to be spam.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

neeneko wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:06 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:30 pm I know I've done it for business because usually people will pick up if it's a local number calling.
Heh. I actually use the opposite as a filter. I don't know anyone in my area code, so any 'local' call is going to be spam.
Same here. We kept our Seattle phone numbers when we moved back to the MidWaste and I don't get calls from anybody there who isn't in my contact list. If I see a 425 number come up on my phone I know it's spam.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Interesting thread. There are pictures of Patrick Byrne, Mike Flynn and others from after the election through January 5th. Planning for what they would do about trump losing

noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:30 pm Some services exist to say spoof your number to the local area code of where you're calling. I know I've done it for business because usually people will pick up if it's a local number calling. Also NYC numbers seem to get a high response rate or DC area codes. There's also a calling card you can buy where you can spoof any number. I used to do it to friends and just spoof 666 as my number.

I don't know what business you're in, but if someone attempts to begin a business relationship with me by lying (and that's exactly what spoofing is), I don't want to have anything to do with them or their business.

I simply don't answer any call from a number I don't know, even if it is local. Most of these calls don't bother to leave a message. Occasionally, one does leave a message. If the call is on my land line (yes, I still have one) I can listen as they speak. Once in a great while, it is someone I want to talk to and i will pick it up. Unfortunately, no one has figured out how to screen calls on a cell phone.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

noblepa wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:40 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:30 pm Some services exist to say spoof your number to the local area code of where you're calling. I know I've done it for business because usually people will pick up if it's a local number calling. Also NYC numbers seem to get a high response rate or DC area codes. There's also a calling card you can buy where you can spoof any number. I used to do it to friends and just spoof 666 as my number.

I don't know what business you're in, but if someone attempts to begin a business relationship with me by lying (and that's exactly what spoofing is), I don't want to have anything to do with them or their business.

I simply don't answer any call from a number I don't know, even if it is local. Most of these calls don't bother to leave a message. Occasionally, one does leave a message. If the call is on my land line (yes, I still have one) I can listen as they speak. Once in a great while, it is someone I want to talk to and i will pick it up. Unfortunately, no one has figured out how to screen calls on a cell phone.
Marketing. It's pretty normal practice actually for b2b interactions. I've seen it happen a lot in recent years. I used to know of a competitor that would spoof JP Morgan chase. But like you I don't answer calls I don't know the number or prefix to
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Because many healthcare providers call from inside numbers, I answer every local call...because Moms healthcare providers often call from inside local numbers I do not have in my contacts list.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEW: Jan. 6 committee members Jamie Raskin and Stephanie Murphy will lead Tuesday hearing on Trump sending extremist groups to DC and pinpointing the 6th, and Elaine Luria and Adam Kinzinger will lead expected Thursday primetime hearing on inside the WH during the Capitol attack.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/po ... id=2670445
INTO THE FEVER SWAMP — A federal judge noted in February that there’s no evidence former President Donald Trump ever met or plotted with a Proud Boy or an Oath Keeper. But some conspiracies, he added, can be “tacit.”

The Jan. 6 select committee’s next hearing is expected to delve deeply into that relationship, exploring all the subtle signaling between Trump’s orbit and the seamy underworld of the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers that prosecutors and congressional investigators have been probing.

Until now, the select committee has focused its public hearings on the high-level plotting by Trump to seize a second term by deploying an army of loyalist lawyers to promote fringe constitutional theories. On Tuesday, the committee will instead plunge into conspiracy-driven fever swamp, where groups like the Proud Boys flourished and strategized openly ahead of Jan. 6.

The hearing is unlikely to produce explicit evidence of Trump’s approval of the groups’ tactics or plans, but the more important concept, according to Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), is “convergence.”

“Our investigation shows that there was a tremendous convergence of interests between the domestic violent extremist groups and the broader MAGA movement,” Raskin, who will lead next week’s hearing, told Nightly in an interview. “This hearing will be the moment when one sees both the convergence of efforts at a political coup with the insurrectionary mob violence. We see how these two streams of activity become one.”
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

noblepa wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:40 pm :snippity:

Exactly. I do not answer my landline. If someone DOES want to talk to ME they will leave a message.

On occaision, I do pick up just by accident. If there is several seconds of silence while the computer tries to find an operator, then I hang up. I will not answer a computer generated call. If you want to take my time then you spend your time.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

noblepa wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:59 pm

If I want it to say "Gregg, from The Motorcar Company " instead of "Just Plain Gregg" I have a solution, I use the phone that The Motorcar Company provides and not the one I pay for.
I'm also told if I don't want to carry 2 different phones, they make phones capable of having both numbers/accounts in one device.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

keith wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:12 pm

Exactly. I do not answer my landline. If someone DOES want to talk to ME they will leave a message.

On occaision, I do pick up just by accident. If there is several seconds of silence while the computer tries to find an operator, then I hang up. I will not answer a computer generated call. If you want to take my time then you spend your time.
Many auto-dialing systems won't connect their person until the recipient says hello twice. They do this so they are not stuck with talking to the voicemail/answering machine.
101010 :towel:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Rep. Liz Cheney said in June, “Our committee is certain that Donald Trump does not want Mr Cipollone to testify”
Jim

Post by Jim »

:bored:
keith wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:12 pm

That's what I do to check for computer calls...and it comes in handy. After a bit...a human will say hello. I was getting an unusually high number of wrong number calls from women...a lot of them sounded older. Finally I asked one what number they were calling and found out they were hitting 7 instead of 4 for the last digit of the area code and they were calling their doctor. Then it was easy to explain to the caller and if they sounded a little upset with themselves, told them no problem, I would charge their doc. Haven' t had one of those in quite a while...wonder if doc still around.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”