Volkonski

Re: Social or International effects of COVID-19

Post by Volkonski »

Never let a good crisis go to waste.
Kaycee
@KtyYahoo
·
48s
Putin Urges G20 to Lift Sanctions on Goods Due to COVID-19 | News | teleSUR English
https://t.co/DvWDBW9heo?amp=1
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Wow! People now fleeing to China to escape Covid-19.

Economy seats sell out for business-class fares as travellers fleeing a worsening Covid-19 pandemic bid for limited flights to China

https://www.scmp.com/business/article/3 ... ning-covid
Air fares to mainland China soared in the past few weeks when the coronavirus crisis escalated from a regional outbreak into a global pandemic, as desperate travellers rushed for limited seats on the few carriers that were still flying to the country amid a widening circle of global quarantines and travel ban.

The average price of air tickets from Italy, Spain, Sweden, the United States, and Iran – several countries with the fastest rising cases – rose by about 150 per cent on March 15, compared with the March 1 average, according to data by Trip.com Group, China’s largest online ticket agent. The average fares to China from Japan, South Korea, Singapore, New Zealand and Australia rose at different levels compared with last year, Trip.com said in response to an inquiry by South China Morning Post.

“The increases in bookings and prices are due to insufficient supply caused by large-scale, and even complete, suspensions by global airlines,” said Yu Zhanfu, transport expert and partner at the consultancy Roland Berger. Surging fares during the global pandemic, “no doubt the most severe crisis for the aviation industry in modern history,” will not improve airlines’ financial performance, he said.

The coronavirus outbreak became a global pandemic during the first two weeks of March, with the number of confirmed cases outside mainland China exploding more than 10-fold to 72,469 on March 15, while the death toll rose 24 times to 2,531. Over the same period, confirmed cases in China – including Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan – tapered off, with the accumulated number of confirmed afflictions rising 1.4 per cent to 81,048, while the fatality rose 11 per cent to 3,204, according to World Health Organisation (WHO) data.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:30 am
Never let a good crisis go to waste.
Kaycee
@KtyYahoo
·
48s
Putin Urges G20 to Lift Sanctions on Goods Due to COVID-19 | News | teleSUR English
https://t.co/DvWDBW9heo?amp=1
reminds me, the G7 is due in a couple of months: I guess it will be postponed (and a sigh of relief by the host-to-be for not able to present a venue).

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN: Coronavirus-hit countries are asking Cuba for medical help. Why is the US opposed?
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Cause Obama! :blackeye:

Addie

Post by Addie »

Vox: Mexico’s coronavirus-skeptical president is setting up his country for a health crisis

Some doctors say Mexico could become the new Italy — or worse.
Adding:
Bloomberg: Mexico’s Low Coronavirus Count Spurs Doubts On Testing Rate
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:25 am
Coronavirus Heroes Are Getting Tossed From Their Homes by Scared Landlords

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coronavir ... itter_page
Anna Jones* had just finished her shift at St. Rose Hospital in Las Vegas, where she works as an emergency-room nurse, when she received an email from her landlord labeled “Quick Action Needed.” Her landlord—a quiet, older woman who lived downstairs from Jones and her husband—informed her that she would need to vacate the premises within 24 hours. The reason, she said, was COVID-19.

“I don’t want interaction or debate over this decision,” the landlord wrote in emails reviewed by The Daily Beast. “I’m sorry for the abrupt notice, but given the situation, it’s the choice I’m making to protect myself.”

:snippity:

Kadey Carter, a travel nurse in Missouri, told The Daily Beast that multiple Airbnb hosts had canceled her reservations in recent weeks after learning she was a nurse. “They’re apologetic but they’re just like, ‘basically for our protection right now, we’re not comfortable with that,’” she said.

In interviews with The Daily Beast, multiple nurses described potential landlords backing out of rental agreements, Airbnb hosts denying their requests, and current proprietors turning them out on the street. The Daily Beast is using pseudonyms or not identifying some of them because they are still in negotiations with their landlords.
Maybe hospitals will have to build staff housing.
“I don’t want interaction or debate over this decision,”
To me, that the equivalent of "God said it, I believe it, and that settles it." One of the most offensive bumper stickers ever printed.

I'd be happy to learn that Anna's landlord was jailed over this. Then denied medical care by the very people she "refuses to be bullied" by.

Addie

Post by Addie »

AFP: BREAKING: Italy records almost 1,000 coronavirus deaths in 24 hours

Italy recorded a shocking spike in coronavirus deaths Friday with 969 new victims, the worst daily record for any country since the pandemic began.

The infection rate however continued its downward trend, with the civil protection agency reporting nearly 86,500 confirmed cases in Italy -- a 7.4 percent increase, down from around 8.0 percent in previous days.

That represents the smallest rise in recorded cases since the epidemic began, albeit health officials say the real number of coronavirus cases in the country is far higher than the 86,498 recorded.

The national health institute (ISS) cautiously suggested lockdown measures to curb the spread of the disease -- which has claimed over 8,100 lives and infected some 80,000 people -- may soon bear fruit. "I want to be clear on one point. We have not peaked yet," the institute's head Silvio Brusaferro said. "There are signs of a slowdown, which makes us believe that we are close, we could peak in the next few days”

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Somerset wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:46 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:25 am
Coronavirus Heroes Are Getting Tossed From Their Homes by Scared Landlords

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coronavir ... itter_page
Anna Jones* had just finished her shift at St. Rose Hospital in Las Vegas, where she works as an emergency-room nurse, when she received an email from her landlord labeled “Quick Action Needed.” Her landlord—a quiet, older woman who lived downstairs from Jones and her husband—informed her that she would need to vacate the premises within 24 hours. The reason, she said, was COVID-19.

“I don’t want interaction or debate over this decision,” the landlord wrote in emails reviewed by The Daily Beast. “I’m sorry for the abrupt notice, but given the situation, it’s the choice I’m making to protect myself.”

:snippity:

Kadey Carter, a travel nurse in Missouri, told The Daily Beast that multiple Airbnb hosts had canceled her reservations in recent weeks after learning she was a nurse. “They’re apologetic but they’re just like, ‘basically for our protection right now, we’re not comfortable with that,’” she said.

In interviews with The Daily Beast, multiple nurses described potential landlords backing out of rental agreements, Airbnb hosts denying their requests, and current proprietors turning them out on the street. The Daily Beast is using pseudonyms or not identifying some of them because they are still in negotiations with their landlords.
Maybe hospitals will have to build staff housing.
“I don’t want interaction or debate over this decision,”
To me, that the equivalent of "God said it, I believe it, and that settles it." One of the most offensive bumper stickers ever printed.

I'd be happy to learn that Anna's landlord was jailed over this. Then denied medical care by the very people she "refuses to be bullied" by.
And if she doesn't leave, would the sheriff force her out?
ImageImageImage x4

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

For tenants there's a process. Called an eviction or unlawful detainer action. And the courts are closed.

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

In this case, she's renting a room from the woman in her house. The woman said she'd change the locks, and unfortunately I don't think the sheriff would be able to do anything about it.
When Jones tried to push back, the landlord threatened to change the locks and hold her belongings hostage. “Items still in this unit after 7 pm on Mar 22 will be in a trespassing status and you will forfeit. I will not be bullied or intimidated,” she wrote. “Neither work with me. “

Three other travel nurses told The Daily Beast they had also been threatened with eviction because of their occupation, while others said they had been discriminated against when applying for housing.

One nurse in San Diego said she was away last weekend when her landlord texted, ordering her to move out immediately. She was allowed back in only to retrieve her belongings. Another nurse in New Hampshire received a similar text from her landlord just after finishing a 16-hour shift. “I cried in my car when I read that,” she said, “because I’m like, ‘What in the world am I going to do?’”

A travel nurse working outside Sacramento said she received a similar message, though her landlord backed down when she threatened legal action. But others said they did not have the energy—or even the desire—to argue with the person renting them a room.
Still, I really hope karma catches up with this woman. I would love to see some kind of legal action taken against her. And if she ends up being hospitalized, she needs to be shown the same degree of care and compassion she's shown her tenant.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 pm
For tenants there's a process. Called an eviction or unlawful detainer action. And the courts are closed.
Not in MS they aren't. Constitutional law and all.

Addie

Post by Addie »

BBC News: Coronavirus: 150 Tunisians self-isolate in factory to make masks

Employees at a Tunisian factory are churning out 50,000 face masks a day and other protective medical gear after opting to go into lockdown at work.

The 150 workers, mainly women, have isolated themselves at the Consomed factory for a month.

They were spurred on by patriotism as the country battles coronavirus, their manager Hamza Alouini told the BBC.

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Guardian
Quarantined Brazilians protest against Bolsonaro from windows and balconies: 'Get out!'

“Fora Bolsonaro!” (“Get out, Bolsonaro!”) they yelled into the darkness, as fellow dissenters pounded pots and pans with wooden spoons as a way of venting their spleen against Brazil’s far-right president. ...

But for the last week protesters across the country have appeared at their windows and used kitchenware to convey the fury they feel towards Jair Bolsonaro.

The immediate trigger for the so-called panelaço protests has been Bolsonaro’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, which he has repeatedly dismissed as hysteria, fantasy and, a media “trick”.

As the virus made its first inroads into Brazil earlier this month, Brazil’s leader sparked outrage by egging on pro-Bolsonaro street protests and mingling triumphantly with fans despite receiving medical advice to stay indoors after being exposed to the illness during a trip to the US.

“The feeling I have is that the presidential chair is empty,” said Oliveira, 56. “That we don’t have a president – we have a clown who doesn’t know what he is doing.”

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

“The feeling I have is that the presidential chair is empty,” said Oliveira, 56. “That we don’t have a president – we have a clown who doesn’t know what he is doing.”
I don't know who else that could describe.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

As shared by my nephew in London...
Social Distancing .png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Birfers are toast

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Bolsonaro is crazy. I hope the nation's governors can ignore him.

Bolsonaro threatens to sack health minister over coronavirus criticism
Brazilian president warns Luiz Henrique Mandetta not to speak out against him in public

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... r-covid-19
According to a report in the Estado de São Paulo newspaper, the Brazilian president’s warning came during a top-level meeting on Saturday as the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in the country rose to more than 3,900 and the death toll hit 114.

The health minister, Luiz Henrique Mandetta, reportedly informed Brazil’s far-right leader he would have no choice but to publicly criticise him if he insisted on going out in public despite warnings to stay indoors.

“Bolsonaro replied that, if he did so, he would fire him,” the conservative newspaper reported, citing anonymous sources.

Bolsonaro’s downplaying of coronavirus – and his public call for Brazil to relax quarantine measures and get back to work – have appalled critics and many citizens, sparking nightly pot-banging protests in major cities.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

And David Lat ended up in ICU on a respirator. There's no justice.
ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie »

Sorry if this is a dupe. It's hard to keep up.

Associated Press
'Off the charts': Virus hot spots grow in middle America

DETROIT (AP) — The coronavirus continued its unrelenting spread across the United States with fatalities doubling in two days and authorities saying Saturday that an infant who tested positive had died. It pummeled big cities like New York, Detroit, New Orleans and Chicago, and made its way, too, into rural America as hotspots erupted in small Midwestern towns and Rocky Mountain ski havens.

Elsewhere, Russia announced a full border closure while in parts of Africa, pandemic prevention measures took a violent turn, with Kenyan police firing tear gas and officers elsewhere seen on video hitting people with batons.

Worldwide infections surpassed the 660,000 mark with more than 30,000 deaths as new cases also stacked up quickly in Europe, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University. The U.S. leads the world in reported cases with more than 120,000. Confirmed deaths surpassed 2,000 on Saturday, twice the number just two days before, highlighting how quickly infections are escalating. Still, five countries have higher death tolls: Italy, Spain, China, Iran and France. Italy has more than 10,000 deaths, the most of any country.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker said Saturday that an infant with COVID-19 died in Chicago and the cause of death is under investigation. Officials didn't release other information, including whether the child had other health issues.

“If you haven’t been paying attention, maybe this is your wake-up call," said Illinois Department of Public Health Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Somerset wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:46 pm

That landlord is really screwing herself over. Apparently they were going out to buy groceries and cooking meals for her because she can't get around very well.

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN: Portugal gives migrants and asylum-seekers full citizenship rights during coronavirus outbreak

(CNN) Portugal has temporarily given all migrants and asylum seekers full citizenship rights, granting them full access to the country's healthcare as the outbreak of the novel coronavirus escalates in the country.

The move will "unequivocally guarantee the rights of all the foreign citizens" with applications pending with Portuguese immigration, meaning they are "in a situation of regular permanence in National Territory," until June 30, the Portuguese Council of Ministers said on Friday.

The Portuguese Council of Ministers explained that the decision was taken to "reduce the risks for public health" of maintaining the current scheduling of appointments at the immigration office, for both the border agents and the migrants and asylum seekers.

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo: Under coronavirus immigration measures, U.S. is expelling border-crossers to Mexico in an average of 96 minutes

Migrants who cross into the United States illegally are being expelled to Mexico in an average of 96 minutes under emergency coronavirus measures now in force across the U.S. southern border, according to three U.S. officials with knowledge of the latest government statistics.

The pandemic has allowed the U.S. Border Patrol to implement the kind of rapid-fire deportation system President Trump has long extolled as his preferred approach to immigration enforcement.

Under the new rules, U.S. agents are processing migrants from Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras “in the field” before they are able to set foot inside a U.S. Border Patrol station. The migrants are then whisked back to the border and sent into Mexico.

The migrants are not given medical exams while in U.S. custody, which is one of the reasons agents are able to send them back to Mexico so quickly, according to one Customs and Border Protection official who, like the others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the process because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Political Wire: White House Freezes Aid Amid Mass Confusion

The Trump administration has frozen all overseas shipments of USAID’s stockpiles of protective medical gear following mass confusion over which resources are needed inside the United States, Politico reports.

The moratorium was brought in following an embarrassing mix-up in Thailand. A Trump official asked the Thais if they could send protective gear to the U.S., only to told by them that a U.S. shipment of the same supplies was already on its way to Bangkok—the second of two such deliveries.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Addie wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:24 am
Political Wire: White House Freezes Aid Amid Mass Confusion

The Trump administration has frozen all overseas shipments of USAID’s stockpiles of protective medical gear following mass confusion over which resources are needed inside the United States, Politico reports.

The moratorium was brought in following an embarrassing mix-up in Thailand. A Trump official asked the Thais if they could send protective gear to the U.S., only to told by them that a U.S. shipment of the same supplies was already on its way to Bangkok—the second of two such deliveries.
Jared running his own Covid committee aside the official Pence team :?:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Nayyera
@nayyeroar
·
3m
In fact, SK is *literally* freer than we are right now - schools open, ability to go out throughout, even baseball games. They’ve had rapid testing, contact tracing, legislative action, and social compliance. None of which we have here in the US, by choice.
Quote Tweet

Aaron Rupar
@atrupar
· 1h
Here's Seema Verma suggesting that one reason South Korea has been so effective in responding to the coronavirus is because it isn't a "free" country like the United States

Return to “Coronavirus”