Let's Have a Virtual Meetup!

cassandra

Re: Let's Have a Virtual Meetup!

Post by cassandra »

Zoom is easy but there are limits to the free version. We could get up to 100 people for 40 minutes without charge. It will work internationally except in sanctioned countries. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... Zoom-work-

It's probably possible to "chain" meeting to go past the 40 minute limit, but that means that the host has to invite participants -- i.e. type in everyone's email address.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

cassandra wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:43 pm
Zoom is easy but there are limits to the free version. We could get up to 100 people for 40 minutes without charge. It will work internationally except in sanctioned countries. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... Zoom-work-

It's probably possible to "chain" meeting to go past the 40 minute limit, but that means that the host has to invite participants -- i.e. type in everyone's email address.
My wife was actually doing a conference on Zoom with her running group this morning, and the time limit was lifted "as a gift to you." I think they realized the COVID-19 world is going to be relying on their product a whole lot more...
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

June bug

Post by June bug »

I'm in - was just in a zoom meeting the other day - no idea how to make it happen but joining in was easy!
Also, I'm pretty sure you can do it with or without video - saw some people - with others only saw names.

Foggy - poor baby - we'll all virtual kiss your boo boos!

fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

June bug wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:02 pm
I'm in - was just in a zoom meeting the other day - no idea how to make it happen but joining in was easy!
Also, I'm pretty sure you can do it with or without video - saw some people - with others only saw names.
Also, sometimes it defaults to camera-off mode like mine did the first time I joined one. Took a while to find the button to activate my laptop's camera.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

:rotflmao:

But seriously, someone pick a time. :bounce:

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:34 pm

I think it will have to be Foggy who does that. He'll have to get up to speed on what it takes to host a Zoom get together, so Foggy, what do you think makes sense?
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Jez

Post by Jez »

Sounds like it could be fun. Gonna have to load it on the Mac, it's the only thing I have a web cam on. :)
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:40 pm
fierceredpanda wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:34 pm

I think it will have to be Foggy who does that. He'll have to get up to speed on what it takes to host a Zoom get together, so Foggy, what do you think makes sense?
Why only foggy? Anyone can set one up.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Today my shoulder is still hurting, even to sit in a chair.

Let's try Tuesday, about 8 pm Eastern. 'Course, if that means some people can't join in, we can have another one soon after.

And Sugar M is right, you don't really need me. I think anyone can set up a Zoom meetup. Also, don't forget we have a chat room if you can do without video.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

I might be a few minutes late, but I should be able to make that time.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:00 pm
Today my shoulder is still hurting, even to sit in a chair.

Let's try Tuesday, about 8 pm Eastern. 'Course, if that means some people can't join in, we can have another one soon after.

And Sugar M is right, you don't really need me. I think anyone can set up a Zoom meetup. Also, don't forget we have a chat room if you can do without video.
Does it still work?

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Tuesday night is perfect. I would be delighted to attend. Would be nice to finally put some faces to the names here.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby and I will be there.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

*checks schedule*
Yeah my Tuesday evening seems open.
:)
We are told by LE: If you see something, say something. -- I agree.
If you see something, video record it, uploaded it, and say something!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Yay! See you Tuesday at 8!
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Started a new thread with the info you need to join.

Can't wait to talk to my fellow shut-ins! :dance:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

To have a Zoom session, there needs to be a host and a way to invite people to join it. I can host Zoom meetings, have done it several times,

I have in fact set up a 'Foggy's Virtual Meet-Up" at 8:00 pm Eastern Time on Tuesday. I can either post the url online which can be clicked like any link once you have downloaded Zoom -- or be more restrctive so we're only bothered by the people we expect -- up to 100.

I don't know how to use a restricted room or area on Fogbw. Or people can PM me and I'll send the URL by return PM.

Over to Capt. Foggy to give directions on when and how to set sail onto these uncharted and uncertain waters.

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

never mind. I typed before I looked. Its been set up quite nicely already in the separate thread.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Can we all pinkie swear before we do this thing that there will be no laughing at any "regional accents" by ANYONE? I just don't want y'all laughing at Stern and making him feel uncomfortable.

realist

Post by realist »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:42 am
Can we all pinkie swear before we do this thing that there will be no laughing at any "regional accents" by ANYONE? I just don't want y'all laughing at Stern and making him feel uncomfortable.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

:oops: :geezertowel:

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Sugar, I missed all the courthouse hijinx and never got to meet you, so I cannot wait to, finally.

Not only will I not laugh at regional accents, I will bring a spoon to make sure I get every sugary morsel. :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Return to “Questions & Suggestions”