Coronavirus and the election

Who is most likely to survive a Coronavirus infection?

Biden
65%
Sanders
7%
Trump
28%

Total votes: 54

MN-Skeptic

Re: Coronavirus and the election

Post by MN-Skeptic »

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 am

But where the hell is Biden? The Ron Klain video a few days ago was really good, but Biden's campaign needs to figure out how to get some of the O2 from the MMS. Then again, conventional wisdom has been wrong in most of the states that have been able to vote in the Democratic primary.
Biden is live on The View right now.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Thanks. I am always stunned at how many people watch that show.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Cross-posting:

My utterly appalling congresswoman is now engaged in a poke a stick at the bear campaign to distract from the shitshow going on in her party and in the White House. I just got off the phone with whoever answers her phone in her DC office. This was the first time I called her office when I was angry and outraged. I spoke with her dude for over five minutes, he wanted to explain why we need to manufacture drugs in this country, I kept making the point that I had no problem with that--indeed, it wasn't on my platform to have big pharma outsource to other countries--but that my point was this is no time to be antagonizing the only supply chain we currently have.

"It's for the future," he said.

"I have a less than 90 day supply," I said. "This is not the time to start a production war. This is a vile attempt at distraction. This is a pointless waving of the arms and a waste of taxpayer money. And as a topper, racist, hate-mongering crap."

Then I read to him from the tweets below, which he had not read:

Now I have a headache. I have never felt this outraged in my life.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Holy Crap! She thinks she's going to bully Xi? I don't think it works like that.
ImageImageImage x4

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 am
With Andrew Cuomo's must see daily briefing, he is become a powerful star in the fight against the novel coronavirus.

If Joe Biden falters, Cuomo will be first in line to be the Democratic candidate, notwithstanding all his warts.

(There is a story that when he was HUD Secretary he used to have his aides play a fanfare for him -- like "Hail to the Chief" wherever POTUS goes -- and had his own flag which went up on the staff when he was in his office.)
This fellow puts it more starkly than you and I have:

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Jeffrey wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:49 am
Is there no act of god clause they can invoke?
Well, the party can really do whatever it wants, it is, after all, a private organization and thus can change its rules. The problem is, unless someone concedes, well, unless Sanders concedes, any attempt to end things before he flexes his muscles is going to be a political liability since a lot of his supporters are already primed for 'unfair' narratives.

So mechanically they could probably wrap it up, but the political fallout would likely cost them. If sanders was a better politician I would assume he was dragging things out in order to get concessions, but I suspect he is just being stubborn and focused on his public story.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 am
But where the hell is Biden? The Ron Klain video a few days ago was really good, but Biden's campaign needs to figure out how to get some of the O2 from the MMS. Then again, conventional wisdom has been wrong in most of the states that have been able to vote in the Democratic primary.
Biden did a webcast yesterday, but you are right, to be seen he has to get on TV, unfortunately, and they are probebly not inviting him on as "well you are not actually the candidate and sorry you cant hear me as we have our tongue stuck up Trumps butt again."

Here's some links from yesterday, so he's talking but not getting carried

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/biden ... 2020-03-23

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/2 ... ent-144195

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden- ... -briefings
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Some positive news. Trump giving out medical advice and advocating letting people die finally deconverted a family member of mine.

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo - Paul Waldman
What Joe Biden should be doing now ...

Biden has already converted a room in his house into a TV studio, and Monday he released the first video made there, criticizing the position the administration and congressional Republicans have taken on the economic rescue package.

That’s . . . fine, I suppose, though less than perfectly smooth. But it made me think of another, much more effective video the campaign released on Saturday. In that one, Ron Klain — who ran the Obama administration’s efforts to keep Ebola from spreading into the United States — explained the public health and economic challenges the coronavirus presents and where the Trump administration is falling short.

It not only offered a clear critique of the administration’s failures, it showed that the people around Biden (Klain was chief of staff to Biden as vice president and would probably take the same role if Biden becomes president) are competent, informed, and experienced. That’s something Biden should expand and build on now. If you can’t shake hands and hold rallies — which means it’s impossible to create the kinds of events that draw cameras and create news — why not lay out over the course of the next couple of months a picture of what a Biden administration would look like? He can try to do it with the release of more policy plans — two weeks ago he released a sensible coronavirus plan, — but the reality is that not too many people are going to read them. So he has to find ways to penetrate the public’s consciousness. ...

Because of the coronavirus, for the moment it will have to be done mostly through video. So why not put together a series of presentations in which Biden and well chosen experts and communicators explore policy challenges and consider solutions he would pursue? You could do them on health care, economic growth, labor rights, civil rights, voting rights, climate change, immigration and any number of other issues. They wouldn’t all have to be future Biden administration officials, and he could get people with a range of views (within the spectrum of Democrats) to participate. He could have a mix of policy experts and elected officials. The point wouldn’t be so much to list all the members of the future Biden administration as to fill out a picture of what he and his party think is important and what they want to do if they assume power.

Such videos — edited to manageable lengths, of course — would be much easier for people to assimilate than lengthy written policy papers, and much more informative than the kind of bickering we’ve seen in debates. And it would show Biden as the leader of a party with a clear agenda that voters would probably find appealing.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

Elizabeth Edwards once PMed me at DU to say that Andrew Cuomo should never run for president, because he was cheating on his wife. Funny old world.
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 am
If Joe Biden falters, Cuomo will be first in line to be the Democratic candidate, notwithstanding all his warts.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times
How Cuomo, Once on Sidelines, Became the Politician of the Moment

With his coronavirus briefings, Gov. Andrew Cuomo has emerged as an authoritative voice in the crisis. ...

Mr. Cuomo was once considered a bit player on the national stage, an abrasive presence who made his share of enemies among his Democratic Party peers. He was too much of a pragmatist for his party’s progressive wing, too self-focused for party leaders and too brusque for nearly everyone.

But now, he is emerging as the party’s most prominent voice in a time of crisis.

His briefings — articulate, consistent and often tinged with empathy — have become must-see television. On Tuesday, his address was carried live on all four networks in New York and a raft of cable news stations, including CNN, MSNBC and even Fox News. ...

Mr. Cuomo’s handling of the crisis has fostered a nationwide following; Mr. Biden called Mr. Cuomo’s briefings a “lesson in leadership,” and others have described them as communal therapy sessions. The same blunt and sometimes paternalistic traits that have long rubbed his critics raw have morphed into a source of comfort. ...

With House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer practically sequestered in negotiations over economic relief measures and Mr. Biden at home in Wilmington, Del., Mr. Cuomo has effectively offered the Democratic response.

“He represents the kind of leadership we should have in the presidency and don’t,” said Representative Jackie Speier, a California Democrat who said her West Coast constituents are praising Mr. Cuomo. “His stock has gone way up.”

For all of that positive press, the sudden spotlight has shone on Mr. Cuomo at a politically inopportune time: His friend, Mr. Biden, is quickly closing in on the Democratic presidential nomination, something that Mr. Cuomo — like his father, the former Gov. Mario M. Cuomo — had been said to covet.
Adding:
ABC News: The coronavirus crisis is the moment Andrew Cuomo has prepared for all his life

Cuomo became steeped in his father’s worldview of political authority.

Addie

Post by Addie »

NY Post: Bernie Sanders will stay in 2020 race until New York primary

Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: 'He should stop talking': Biden implores Trump to listen to his scientists

Biden repeatedly implored his would-be rival to heed the advice of his coronavirus task force.
Adding:
The Hill: Biden: I don't want to be in a political fight with Trump over coronavirus

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

“never interfere with the enemy while he is in the process of making a mistake.”

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Chilidog wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:44 am
“never interfere with the enemy while he is in the process of making a mistake.”
:stamp:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Addie

Post by Addie »

FiveThirtyEight - Nate Silver: Trump’s Reelection May Hinge On The Economy — And Coronavirus

President Trump’s approval rating has improved slightly amid the coronavirus pandemic. But the short-term gains, reflecting a possible rally-around-the-flag effect at the time of national emergency, may not hold. On the contrary, the strong likelihood of a potentially very deep recession triggered by coronavirus puts Trump’s reelection chances in jeopardy.

Aggressive measures to slow the spread of the disease, and economic stimulus packages that soften the economic blow, could allow the United States to rev back up to speed in the second half of the year and improve Trump’s position. Without that — even though there isn’t any perfect analogy to coronavirus in recent electoral history — the bulk of what we do know suggests that he could be in trouble.

We’ve written a lot about the effect of the economy on presidential elections here at FiveThirtyEight, especially in the run-up to the 2012 general election, when the economic recovery was a major focal point in the contest between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. For that reason, I’m going to compress a very complicated discussion into under 3,000 words here: ...

Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: Republicans forging ahead with Charlotte convention

The RNC has an advantage over Democrats: Its convention is scheduled for a month later, in late August.

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Addie wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:12 pm
Politico: Republicans forging ahead with Charlotte convention

The RNC has an advantage over Democrats: Its convention is scheduled for a month later, in late August irrelevant.
;)

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill: Pennsylvania to delay primary election as coronavirus spreads

Addie

Post by Addie »

USA Today - Jason Harrow: Finally, a reason not to worry: Trump can't cancel the election, even during coronavirus

Donald Trump can't just stay in office past Jan. 20, 2021 with no election. The Constitution, the law and Democratic governors make that impossible.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Interesting. Please discuss...using small words I can understand.
ImageImageImage x4

bob

Post by bob »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:39 pm
Interesting. Please discuss...using small words I can understand.
1. The impeached president's term automatically under the Constitution ends on January 20. If there's no election, come January, hail Acting President Pelosi (assuming she's again elected as the House's next Speaker)!
2. There is no federal election for the presidency; there are 51 elections not under the impeached president's control.
3. Republicans don't have trifecta control (governor and both legislative chambers) in enough states (with enough electoral votes) to pass laws that would give the impeached president another term.
4. Related, Republicans don't have enough governorships in enough states (with enough electoral votes) to send a slate of electors that would give the impeached president another term.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

So Mr. Harrow's argument is legit. One can never tell these days.

Thanks!
ImageImageImage x4

bob

Post by bob »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:07 pm
Yes and no: It depends on your faith in our institutions. What if it is a tight election, and a tipping-point state sends dueling slates of electors? And SCOTUS hastily issues a 5-4 decision? That Congress ignores? Etc.

In other words, the arguments are pretty sound, legally. But rely fairly heavily on the losers being good sports and saying, "Well, the law's the law." Instead of creating a twisted interpretation to further a partisan agenda.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

bob wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:24 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:07 pm
Yes and no: It depends on your faith in our institutions. What if it is a tight election, and a tipping-point state sends dueling slates of electors? And SCOTUS hastily issues a 5-4 decision? That Congress ignores? Etc.

In other words, the arguments are pretty sound, legally. But rely fairly heavily on the losers being good sports and saying, "Well, the law's the law." Instead of creating a twisted interpretation to further a partisan agenda.
Yep. The limitation to the arguments put forth is that they are legal arguments regarding a political situation. Laws only apply if people implement them, and if the executive branch decides it has its own ideas and passes some kind of 'executive order' that contradicts them, there is not much one can do. Once you win, you can rewrite history any way you like.

That being said, I can not see Trump having the institutional nor popular support for such a move, no matter how bad things get for either the election or the handover.

Return to “Coronavirus”