Sorcha Faal Revealed

Whatever4

Sorcha Faal Revealed

Post by Whatever4 »

The Man Behind the Right Wing’s Favorite Conspiracy Theories

Meet David Booth, the fake news peddler who is helping Russia spread its lies.

There are exceptions, however. In a handful of cases, it’s possible to trace some of the most destructive theories back to their source. Take, for example, the conspiracy theory that DNC staffer Seth Rich was killed in 2016 by a “hit team”; or the campaign seeking to tar Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who accused Justice Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her in high school, as deeply tied to the CIA; or the report that the bones of children were found on Jeffrey Epstein’s island—all these myths lead back to one person. In each of these cases, we can confidently trace the confabulation in question to a man named David Lawrence Booth.

A 64-year-old retired chemical plant control-room operator, Booth is one of the world’s foremost purveyors of conspiracies and fake news. Writing under the nom de plume of Sorcha Faal on his website What Does It Mean, Booth and his wife have spent the past 15 years cooking up fabricated tales of impending war, government cover-ups, looming financial collapse, alien arrivals, Satanic acts, earthquake weapons, man-made hurricanes, global apocalypse, and “deep state” machinations of all descriptions. On his website, Booth has falsely suggested that he is an officer in the Mossad or the CIA. The truth about his life is equally fascinating—Booth happens to have been the youngest person ever to attempt to hijack a plane in the U.S.—and an examination of his past, with its links to both Russia and Russian disinformation campaigns, opens a rare window into how and why someone can be drawn into the world of conspiracies.

At first glance, it’s hard to imagine that anyone takes What Does It Mean seriously. The site’s logo is stuffed with a fifth grader’s idea of mysticism: the Virgin Mary, a dragon, a tarot card, a winged horse, and Noah’s ark. Pages are littered with multicolored links, and the whole thing has an amateurish feel, harkening back to the days of DIY web construction in the mid-1990s. Yet What Does It Mean attracts visitors in numbers that would be a marked improvement over those pulled down by, say, a midsize newspaper’s website—roughly three-quarters of a million views in busy months, according to Alexa search rankings. Fans translate the site’s posts into French and Spanish, read them aloud on YouTube, and discuss them online. One measure of the power of a conspiracy theory is how far and how deeply it spreads, and Booth’s reports travel the globe. Laundered through a constellation of more respectable-looking, but no less empirically dodgy websites, they emerge in overseas news outlets cited as fact. That’s how, to take just one example, Iran’s news agency, Fars, was duped into reporting in 2014 that top-secret documents leaked by Edward Snowden showed that U.S. policy has been guided by extraterrestrial intelligence.

One measure of the power of a conspiracy theory is how far and how deeply it spreads, and Booth’s reports travel the globe.
The site’s slogan is “the news you need today … for the world you’ll live in tomorrow,” but in many ways Booth’s world is already here. The election of a conspiracy theorist in chief has pushed conspiracies, lies, and half-truths onto the front pages and the evening news, while the advent of the internet and social media give web-savvy conspiracy peddlers access to a much larger global market than they formerly dared to dream of reaching. Conspiracy theories have become the political lingua franca of the Trump era—another sordid, sensationalist body of lies sold to people on the fringes of society who have been lied to so often they make sense out of nonsense. The stories are fake, told by a fictional person, but to many devotees, they feel true, and that keeps people coming back to Booth’s site for more.

https://newrepublic.com/article/155896/ ... ign=buffer
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
Notorial Dissent

Re: Sorcha Faal Revealed

Post by Notorial Dissent »

A thoroughly nasty individual.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Thanks, W4. Interesting.
PatGund

Post by PatGund »

Considering how many people were getting their "news" from Pravda Online, RT, and the like, I'm really wondering how much of QAnon, the SovCits, and the like have Russian backing or assistance.
bob

Post by bob »

PatGund wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:31 pm Considering how many people were getting their "news" from Pravda Online, RT, and the like, I'm really wondering how much of QAnon, the SovCits, and the like have Russian backing or assistance.
PAT!!!!!
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

bob wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:33 pm
PatGund wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:31 pm Considering how many people were getting their "news" from Pravda Online, RT, and the like, I'm really wondering how much of QAnon, the SovCits, and the like have Russian backing or assistance.
PAT!!!!!
:thumbs:
PatGund

Post by PatGund »

PAT!!!!!
Hello! Have a few weeks before my next quarter classes start, (on line), and thought I'd check in with what's happening in Wingnutstan. :)

The joys of being a middle aged college student.
realist

Post by realist »

PatGund wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:46 pm
PAT!!!!!
Hello! Have a few weeks before my next quarter classes start, (on line), and thought I'd check in with what's happening in Wingnutstan. :)

The joys of being a middle aged college student.
Pat!!! :thumbs:
ImageX 4 ImageX36
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

Happy to see you, PatGund! :thumbs: :bighug:
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Wonder which was the nastier, David or his wife?

I’m not easily shocked. Sorcha shocked me.

ETA. Pat!!!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
bob

Post by bob »

PatGund wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:46 pmHello! Have a few weeks before my next quarter classes start, (on line), and thought I'd check in with what's happening in Wingnutstan.
Most of the birthers have moved on or have died (NADT), but some of the OBs (original birthers) are still out there, like Miki Booth. Orly Taitz's blog is still "active," in that she uses it just to repost articles from the Gateway Pundit and her own inane tweets. Charles Lincoln (CEL3) went full white supremacist, which isn't all that surprising. Sharon Rondeau (of the Pest & eFail) still faithfully churns out birther articles. Oh: Mike Zullo and Carl Gallups broke up! :violin:

No one filed a birther lawsuit in 2020 :crying: ; maybe that'll change if Harris is the veep nominee. :thumbs:
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
PatGund

Post by PatGund »

bob wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:30 pm No one filed a birther lawsuit in 2020 :crying: ; maybe that'll change if Harris is the veep nominee. :thumbs:
Hell, any female VP, and Padawan Paulie may climb back out under his rock and spew forth the sacred sperm of citizenship.

And I'm not surprised CEL3 went white nationalist. I'm more surprised others haven't gone as obvious to be honest.
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

He just needs to learn to withhold his essence. 8-)

Also: Pat!!! :bighug:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Notorial Dissent

PatGund wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:45 pm
bob wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:30 pm No one filed a birther lawsuit in 2020 :crying: ; maybe that'll change if Harris is the veep nominee. :thumbs:
Hell, any female VP, and Padawan Paulie may climb back out under his rock and spew forth the sacred sperm of citizenship.

And I'm not surprised CEL3 went white nationalist. I'm more surprised others haven't gone as obvious to be honest.
Now there's an asshole that hasn't been heard from in quite a while, wonder if he finally found his dominatrix?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

His wife took him back after he fled to England and spent 6 weeks in an immigration prison. AFAIK, he wasn't planning to bring her across the pond, even if he had been granted asylum. I have no idea in the world why she took him back.
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Notorial Dissent

Somehow in all that I missed that he was married. Color me shocked.
PatGund

Post by PatGund »

Notorial Dissent wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 am Somehow in all that I missed that he was married. Color me shocked.
Color me amazed. Maybe she's trying to get help for his mental illness?
DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

PatGund wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:57 pm
Notorial Dissent wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 am Somehow in all that I missed that he was married. Color me shocked.
Color me amazed. Maybe she's trying to get help for his mental illness?
She has to be just as delusional as her hubby, though possibly not on the same subjects. One subject she's delusional about for sure is her husband.
I've heard this bull before.

Return to “Other Fringe Groups & Individuals”