COVID-19 And Mental Health

Chilidog

COVID-19 And Mental Health

Post by Chilidog »

I foresee a lot of mental health issues that are going to be exacerbated by the stress of this.

Domestic violence
Domestic terrorism
Suicide
You name it...

And of course the mental health impacts will be totally ignored.

Whatever4

Re: COVID-19 And Mental Health

Post by Whatever4 »

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:34 am
I foresee a lot of mental health issues that are going to be exacerbated by the stress of this.

Domestic violence
Domestic terrorism
Suicide
You name it...

And of course the mental health impacts will be totally ignored.
Huge problem when stress is a trigger for cutting, anorexia, binging, OCD, depression, panic disorder... and you can’t get to therapists because social distancing.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I know someone who has been in group therapy. It's been cancelled until the end of the month.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

AA meetings are going online.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:01 pm
AA meetings are going online.
Coz they can't hold them in bars? :-D

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm scheduled to have my first mental health counselling session Thursday. At least it's not a medical clinic but that doesn't mean somebody in the waiting room isn't infected. Until then, Bailey's ice cream sundaes work pretty well.

I haven't left the house since Saturday so I still plan to go unless current local situation changes, but I'll be wearing gloves and I've got sanitizer in my purse.
ImageImageImage x4

kate520

Post by kate520 »

We have mental health professionals in our lives. One has switched to Skype. The other teaches at Claremont College and himself has an immuno-compromised child. He cancelled his classes and went to distance learning way at the beginning of Feb, long before the college did. He has upped visits to twice a week, in person, until further.notice.

Sprout and his friends are convinced the world is ending. :brokenheart:

I have wondered lately why I’m not more anxious, depressed etc. part of it is to keep Sprout even-keeled but also...I know what’s coming , at least financially. Why worry when you already know? It’ll be brutal but we’ll survive...or not and then I truly won’t care. ;)
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

E-hug for Slim

:bighug:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:27 pm
E-hug for Slim

Yep... :bighug:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

RVInit wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:55 pm
Chilidog wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:27 pm
E-hug for Slim

Yep... :bighug:
And Sprout, too! Also! :bighug:
Image Image Image Image Image

Lani

Post by Lani »

eHugs for All! :grouphug: :lovestruck:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Lani wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:21 pm
eHugs for All! :grouphug: :lovestruck:
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sam the Centipede

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:53 pm
I'm scheduled to have my first mental health counselling session Thursday. At least it's not a medical clinic but that doesn't mean somebody in the waiting room isn't infected. Until then, Bailey's ice cream sundaes work pretty well.

I haven't left the house since Saturday so I still plan to go unless current local situation changes, but I'll be wearing gloves and I've got sanitizer in my purse.
Good luck!

Gloves (the ordinary kind) are not a good idea in my view. It's something for virus particles to nestle in, a nice vehicle to bring them home. Whereas you can wash and sanitize your hands reliably and thoroughly. Gloves only offer false reassurance.

Soap and water is great, rubbing long enough for the soap to destabilize the virus's lipid coat and for the larger to work into the little nooks and crevices of hands.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:24 am

Gloves (the ordinary kind) are not a good idea in my view. It's something for virus particles to nestle in, a nice vehicle to bring them home. Whereas you can wash and sanitize your hands reliably and thoroughly. Gloves only offer false reassurance.
Disposable gloves. The idea is that you put them on when you leave the house or when you get out of your car, then take them off and dispose of them before you get back in your car to go home. My sister does this. I am thinking of doing it too.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

p0rtia wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:03 am
Sam the Centipede wrote:

Disposable gloves. The idea is that you put them on when you leave the house or when you get out of your car, then take them off and dispose of them before you get back in your car to go home. My sister does this. I am thinking of doing it too.
I do it too. I have a bag of latex gloves in my car. I put a pair on when I get out and and take them off turning them inside out into each other when I take them off, just like we did running rescue squad duty.
Birfers are toast

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

MsDaisy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:21 am
p0rtia wrote:
Sam the Centipede wrote:

I do it too. I have a bag of latex gloves in my car. I put a pair on when I get out and and take them off turning them inside out into each other when I take them off, just like we did running rescue squad duty.
I was referring to latex gloves. I have a big bag in the car along with a big ziplock bag to put the dirty ones in. I also have hand sanitizer and Lysol wipes in the car.
ImageImageImage x4

Sam the Centipede

Disposable gloves, ok. Although one should be wary of any equipment (face masks, gloves, etc.) that gives one a false sense of security, as handling contaminated equipment introduces its own issues (as well as being environmentally worrying, creating more non-recyclable waste).

So, use gloves if you wish, but washing hands (and sanitizer when washing is not available), is better in my view.

It's interesting that face masks are currently compulsory in some Asian countries, whereas the western view is that they are inappropriate and potentially hazardous for ordinary people (that is, non-infected people in non-heathcare settings). Amongst other things, wearing a face masks makes the wearer more likely to be prodding around their face and mouth area.

I think I read something about Chinese students in European universities thinking that the westerners weren't taking the virus seriously because of the non-wearing of face masks, but the ignoring of face masks appears to be a rational, evidence-based choice by western countries.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:36 am
Disposable gloves, ok. Although one should be wary of any equipment (face masks, gloves, etc.) that gives one a false sense of security, as handling contaminated equipment introduces its own issues (as well as being environmentally worrying, creating more non-recyclable waste).

So, use gloves if you wish, but washing hands (and sanitizer when washing is not available), is better in my view.

It's interesting that face masks are currently compulsory in some Asian countries, whereas the western view is that they are inappropriate and potentially hazardous for ordinary people (that is, non-infected people in non-heathcare settings). Amongst other things, wearing a face masks makes the wearer more likely to be prodding around their face and mouth area.

I think I read something about Chinese students in European universities thinking that the westerners weren't taking the virus seriously because of the non-wearing of face masks, but the ignoring of face masks appears to be a rational, evidence-based choice by western countries.
How about condoms for your fingers?
ETbAZprWkAAaul1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage x4

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

p0rtia wrote:
Sam the Centipede wrote:

That's precisely what I am doing. I strongly disagree that gloves give false reassurance. If I wear them for more than 15 minutes my hands start sweating and although acutely aware that I am wearing them the entire time, I really notice once they become uncomfortable. Added bonus is, since wearing nitrile gloves is not normal I find it really easy not to touch my face.

Also, too, I recycle at home, use re-usuable shopping bags, etc. The issue of whether they are compostable is not a big thing to me when it's a matter of life or death.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I want my mommy.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Me, I just need a hug. My husband gave the very best hugs.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Sam the Centipede

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:00 pm
p0rtia wrote:
Sam the Centipede wrote:

That's precisely what I am doing. I strongly disagree that gloves give false reassurance. If I wear them for more than 15 minutes my hands start sweating and although acutely aware that I am wearing them the entire time, I really notice once they become uncomfortable. Added bonus is, since wearing nitrile gloves is not normal I find it really easy not to touch my face.

Also, too, I recycle at home, use re-usuable shopping bags, etc. The issue of whether they are compostable is not a big thing to me when it's a matter of life or death.
That sounds exactly like false reassurance to me! More messing around, slightly more potential for distributing virus particles and no improvement in biosecurity. If you have open cuts on your hands it's different. But intact skin and proper hygeinic discipline do the job with less risk. Or do you have evidence otherwise?

But I guess if it makes you feel better, it does little harm. People like props in times of stress.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Yes I am a moron who doesn’t read and just does stupid stuff.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:26 am
((((big hugs for MN))))

Sorry they ain't real, but I'll hug a proxy here.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Bill_G wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:41 am
MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:26 am
((((big hugs for MN))))

Sorry they ain't real, but I'll hug a proxy here.
Thank you so much. It’s surprising how warm virtual hugs can be.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Return to “Coronavirus”