On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

tek

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by tek »

Dropped daughter.tek off at PBI for her flight back to Mass this morning.

Normally at that time there would be dozens of cars in the dropoff area.

Today I was the only car there when I arrived, one other car pulled in as I was leaving.

Daughter said there were 100 empty seats on her flight.
There's no way back
from there to here

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

tek wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:25 pm
Dropped daughter.tek off at PBI for her flight back to Mass this morning.

Normally at that time there would be dozens of cars in the dropoff area.

Today I was the only car there when I arrived, one other car pulled in as I was leaving.

Daughter said there were 100 empty seats on her flight.
One of Mrs.V's cousins has been staying with us for a week. She flies back to Maryland tomorrow and is hoping for a nearly empty flight to reduce the chance of contagion.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I've been planning a trip to KC since November, both to visit family, including a 95-yo mother, and Comicon. I've known for several days now it wasn't going to happen but I couldn't bring myself to pull the plug. Today, I put the flights on hold and have to tell mom I'm not coming.

I'd already taken incredible pains, everything short of bringing a flamethrower on the plane to clean my personal space, sanitizer, wipes, gloves. For my visits, I packed my own plastic forks, planned to bring in my own meals, even making plans to stay with my stepdaughter across town and, boy howdy, was mom mad about that. She kept insisting she didn't care if I made her sick, it was her time. But I wasn't going to be that nail in her coffin.

Not looking forward to our nightly phone call but, like John Lennon said, life is what happens when you're busy making plans.
ImageImageImage x4

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:40 pm
Sugar, a Bloody Mary is fine. I was just thinking of something sweeter for you. And you can get an little umbrella with either.
I TRIED to get umbrellas in my drinks in Myrtle Beach. Not a one anywhere. :crying:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:39 pm
I've been planning a trip to KC since November, both to visit family, including a 95-yo mother, and Comicon. I've known for several days now it wasn't going to happen but I couldn't bring myself to pull the plug. Today, I put the flights on hold and have to tell mom I'm not coming.
My 100+ year-old mom has taken the opposite tack, asking all family members, including her daughters, to stay away, don’t risk going on a plane, taking Ubers, etc. In the 1920’s, her entire town was quarantined (polio) for weeks; nobody was allowed to leave home, no visitors were allowed except doctors. She remembers it well. But I feel so bad for her right now. She’s socially active, accustomed to quite a bit of human interaction. Now she’s limited to her apartment, no hairdresser appointments, no chats in the coffee shop, no kvetching about trump with her friends, all her meals are brought to her on trays, which are left on the dining room table and the staff leave her apartment after a brief greeting. It’s grim, but so far, my mom remains chipper.

qbawl

Post by qbawl »

In Ohio:
My wife just called me to tell me the play she has been working on that was due to open tonight has been cancelled. The Governor has banned indoor gatherings of more than 100.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

qbawl wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:23 pm
In Ohio:
My wife just called me to tell me the play she has been working on that was due to open tonight has been cancelled. The Governor has banned indoor gatherings of more than 100.
And closed all public schools for the next 3 weeks.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

jmj

Post by jmj »

This is our new reality for the foreseeable future, I'm afraid. That medium.com article totally convinced me that we need to take action immediately. So I kept my young kids home from school today and will for the forseeable future. I suspect that the schools will be cancelled very soon anyway, given that the local university has already cancelled classes for the rest of the month. It's relatively easy for me since I work from home. I understand that It's not quite as easy for others. But I don't see any other option.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Second airbnb cancellation of the day. I'm out a thousand bucks. Just like that.

Good thing I have an investment portfolio to tide me over....

Oh, wait....
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

p0rtia wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:06 pm
Second airbnb cancellation of the day. I'm out a thousand bucks. Just like that.

Oh, wait....
:bighug:
ImageImageImage x4

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

p0rtia wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:06 pm

Oh, wait....
Yep, my friend on airbnb with a shotgun double in NOLA, 2 blocks off of Bourbon st., was booked solid through the end of June. Everything but 2 weekends in that time period have been cancelled in the last 72 hours.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

My day job did a test of all staff working from home today (probably should have done that a year or two ago). It apparently worked so well that they decided do do it for 2 weeks (save for those who need to be on site for a day or two). This is not due to an actual case.

Not my favorite but I will adapt and will definitely enjoy missing the commute. It sounds like a good time to order a new iPad since I will be home for delivery.

I also found myself checking on licensing live streaming music should the church end up going to online streaming services. Be prepared.

Speaking of Be Prepared, the first Boy Scout National Jamboree was cancelled in the 1930's due to a flu outbreak. Some units were already on their way and rerouted to other locations that made themselves available. The BSA had the foresight to insure the event in case of cancellation (yep, be prepared).
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Pp0rria, where are your Airbnb’s? Two of my step-sisters just bought a cool property in AZ to convert to Airbnb. They were planning on spending the rest of the year rehabbing, maybe they won’t fold before they even start. :?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

One of my wife's co-workers went to a rock concert last night.

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

She went to see Foreigner. But was disappointed because Lou Graham didn't show up since he is 70.

I said it's more likely that the TSA threw him into quarantine because he's a traveling Foreigner.

:rimshot:

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Sekrit Stuffs!
My work unit had three emergency planning meetings today - one before the upper management meeting, one after, and another after the central HR meeting.

I work for a higher educational institution that will be doing online classes for the foreseeable future. It's our job to keep access to all the online resources up and running, so our unit has been designated essential.

We are doing outreach to our vendors and access providers, inquiring if they're doing contingency planning, too. There are so many things that can potentially cause access to online resources to go down. This will become even more complicated if the institution shuts down completely and we have to do this work from home. Even with proxies and VPNs, off-site access can complicate troubleshooting.

The sucky part: these are secret meetings, with all plans and discussion restricted to just us and administration. We are not allowed to share any of this with the rest of the staff. They have no idea that plans are being made for a potential complete shutdown. Right now, that is shared on a strictly on a need-to-know basis, and non-essential employees apparently don't need to know what might happen to them unless/until it does happen.
I've heard this bull before.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Mrs. FRP and I are a lot more worried about her losing her job because of economic disruption than we are about either one of us getting sick. Hence my post earlier on the New Diseases - Coronavirus thread about shutting down everything amount to curing the disease by killing the patient. The government isn't going to come to anyone's rescue, let alone a married couple in the middle of nowhere WI. I don't really give a fuck about a couple weeks of feeling shitty - it's not as if not going to court is even an option for me anyway, because the court system won't shut down even if the streets outside are paved with corpses - but you're goddamn right I care about being able to keep a roof over our heads if she gets laid off. Anyone ever bother to run the numbers on what happens to the rates of suicide and other preventable deaths when unemployment and homelessness suddenly skyrocket?

When Laurence Fishburne's character, the CDC director, in the movie Contagion is told that the government in going underground, he warns about societal and economic fallout: "People will panic. The virus will be the least of our worries. It will tip over now."

Yep.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Foggy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:05 pm
2) My health club ...

Of course, the club will probably close down regardless.
An hour after I wrote that, the club canceled all group fitness classes "for 10 days".

Sure, Jan. :roll: We're totally sure you'll open up again 11 days from now, when this great land of ours is in a full nooklyar meltdown panic. Uh huh. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.

Then I found out the closure doesn't start until mañana, so I went to a final episode of Musical Asskicking this evening.

For some unexplainable reason, ol' Wifehorn professes to be concerned that I might become just the tiniest bit cranky if'n I can't work out for a minimum 10 days. I have no idea where she could have gotten that crazy notion in her headbone. Obviously, I will have to learn to work out at home. So, one last day of classes for the boys, and then we're in the cocoon for at least a few weeks.

I'll probably be a butterfly when I emerge. :blink:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Sekrit Stuffs!
My wife works for a weight loss Co. "JC"

I told her that they should be OK since her clients will be forced to eat the foid and not go out to restaurants.

Gotta look for the bright side

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I wonder about disc dog league. It starts in April.

Augie doesn't understand Coronavirus.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

My spouse will be traveling to Oklahoma on Monday for a work-related school. It's going to be two weeks long.

I work mainly with horses and other farm animals, and don't really have a lot of contact with people--my husband does the shopping for us since he hits the market on his way home from work in the late evening. I am used to being on my own and getting stuff done, since I *do* live on a farm. Still is making me nervous that I could get sick whilst he is gone and not have anyone who can help me take care of my animals.

He is worried about leaving me here by myself, but also worried that he might get stuck there for several weeks if someone tests positive whilst he is at the school.

I do have plenty of toilet paper.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Not corona cancellation.

Another neighbor who works from home /w Amazon customer service supporting USA and French Canadian customers.

Today, he got a lightbulb in his head to sell toilet paper. Scott's, 4 rolls for $19.99. He received several orders including a 7 pack order for $140 (plus shipping).

That customer is in Portland OR.

No BS, he came over to my house as I was sitting outside. Told me he was going to go to the Dollar General and buy the product which is ~$4 for 4 rolls.

On that one order, loosely, $110 profit as a side gig just to drive to a Dollar General. When he returned, I watched him triumphantly hoisting the bags in his arms.

For toilet paper.

I haven't laughed this hard in years.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

youngest daughter teaches HS near Seattle the district just closed for 5 weeks

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

neonzx wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:09 pm
Not corona cancellation.

Another neighbor who works from home /w Amazon customer service supporting USA and French Canadian customers.

Today, he got a lightbulb in his head to sell toilet paper. Scott's, 4 rolls for $19.99. He received several orders including a 7 pack order for $140 (plus shipping).

That customer is in Portland OR.

No BS, he came over to my house as I was sitting outside. Told me he was going to go to the Dollar General and buy the product which is ~$4 for 4 rolls.

On that one order, loosely, $110 profit as a side gig just to drive to a Dollar General. When he returned, I watched him triumphantly hoisting the bags in his arms.

For toilet paper.

I haven't laughed this hard in years.
He might want to reconsider. Price gouging is a crime in many states.

State AG's love prosecuting people for it because it makes good campaign fodder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gou ... ted_States

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:56 pm
Foggy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:05 pm
2) My health club ...

Of course, the club will probably close down regardless.
An hour after I wrote that, the club canceled all group fitness classes "for 10 days".

Sure, Jan. :roll: We're totally sure you'll open up again 11 days from now, when this great land of ours is in a full nooklyar meltdown panic. Uh huh. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.

Then I found out the closure doesn't start until mañana, so I went to a final episode of Musical Asskicking this evening.

For some unexplainable reason, ol' Wifehorn professes to be concerned that I might become just the tiniest bit cranky if'n I can't work out for a minimum 10 days. I have no idea where she could have gotten that crazy notion in her headbone. Obviously, I will have to learn to work out at home. So, one last day of classes for the boys, and then we're in the cocoon for at least a few weeks.

I'll probably be a butterfly when I emerge. :blink:
It's just on the turn to spring, so plan your very own open air gym in the backyard ;)

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

My son works out every day, usually at a gym but even when he just has to do old fashioned exercises. It's amazing what you can do without an instructor and all the fancy equipment.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Return to “Coronavirus”