Washington Primary 2020: Tuesday March 10th; Biden (Win) Dels/39

Addie

Washington Primary 2020: Tuesday March 10th; Biden (Win) Dels/39

Post by Addie »

Seattle Times
Bernie Sanders to campaign in Tacoma on Monday

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders will make his first Washington campaign appearance of 2020 on Monday, holding a rally in the Tacoma Dome.

Sanders, coming off a win in the New Hampshire primary, has scheduled the Presidents Day rally for 7 p.m., according to his campaign. U.S. Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Seattle, who is chairing Sanders’ Washington state campaign, will join him at the event.

Doors for the free rally will open at 5 p.m. People will be admitted on a first-come, first-served basis. Those who want to attend are encouraged to RSVP online.

The Vermont senator won Washington’s 2016 Democratic caucuses after holding several arena-packing rallies in the state. This year, the state Democratic Party has ditched the much-maligned caucuses in favor of a presidential primary, which will take place March 10. Ballots will be mailed next week. ...

In Washington state, Sanders has benefited from a volunteer base left over from his 2016 run. He has outpaced all other Democrats here in campaign fundraising — both in terms of number of donors and in the amount he has raised.
Adding:
Associated Press: Bernie Sanders speaks to crowd of 17,000 at Tacoma Dome rally
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Re: Washington Primary 2020: Tuesday March 10th

Post by Addie »

The Hill
Vandals strike Sanders office in Seattle ...

Vandals reportedly struck Sen. Bernie Sanders’s presidential campaign headquarters in Seattle, throwing a rock through a window. ...

Police are investigating the Friday incident, a spokesperson told The Hill in a statement. Officials have not identified any suspects or made any arrests.

“This is not going to be something that deters us, that makes us feel less bold and pushing for the changes that we need to see in our democracy,” Scott said, according to The Associated Press.

Sanders appeared in Tacoma, Wash. last week in front of thousands of people on his first trip to the state. Washington's primary will occur on March 10.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

KREM
Over 36K Washington primary ballots rejected over failure to choose party

As of Friday, more than 679,100 ballots have been collected across the state. ...

Spokane County Auditor Vicky Dalton said as of Friday, they have sent out more than 2,700 letters to voters whose ballots have been rejected.

Both parties' primaries are listed on the same ballot in Washington, but you can only pick one or the other to vote in.

And, when you do, you have to sign a statement on the envelope promising you didn't vote in both.

Which statement you sign will become a matter of public record for 60 days, meaning anyone could in theory find out whether you voted in the Democratic or Republican primary.

However, there are a few important things to remember.

First, which candidate you pick stays private. Although in Washington, Trump is the only candidate on the Republican ballot, meaning if you vote in the GOP primary, anyone who looks it up will know you voted Trump. That's part of why some public figures are refusing to vote in the presidential primary at all.

Addie

Post by Addie »

FiveThirtyEight: Who’s ahead in Washington?

Updating average for each Democratic candidate in 2020 primary polls, accounting for each poll’s quality, sample size and recency

Sanders 30.5%
Bloomberg 16.3%
Warren 13.2%
Biden 10.4%
Buttigieg 10.3%
Klobuchar 6.6%
Steyer 1.1%
Gabbard 0.5%

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

It's amazing how many people in WA State are aghast at the idea that their party affiliation is public information.

They are upset because they must mark the outside envelope of their ballot as to whether registered Democrat or registered Republican.

Then there are the people who are upset because they are independents and have not gotten a ballot at all for the primary.

Some of them are confused because they think they can't cross party lines in the general election (someone claimed that this is what KIRO said).

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Washigton is close but the results obviously are skewed by early mail in voting.
69% counted

Bernie Sanders

32.7%

335,498Votes

+ 31 Delegates

Joe Biden

32.5%

333,414Votes

+ 31 Delegates

Elizabeth Warren

12.3%

126,093Votes

Michael Bloomberg

11.1%

113,422Votes

Pete Buttigieg

5.8%

59,865Votes

Amy Klobuchar

3.1%

31,425Votes
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I don’t see any updated totals this morning.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:blink:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Reminds me of praising my kids when they made a boom boom in the potty.
ImageImageImage x4

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:15 am
I don’t see any updated totals this morning.
Ditto. Perhaps the workers went home to get some sleep. Which is a reasonable thing, especially in the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic in the US.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:35 am
:lol:

It's all paper here. Ballot drop boxes and those out in yesterday's mail may not be there yet to count. Last I heard it was too close to call.

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times: Live Results: Washington State Presidential Primary 2020

The Washington State primary is close: Sanders narrowly leads Biden by only 2,084 votes with 67 percent of precincts reporting. View exit polls here

67% reporting

Bernie Sanders 335,498 32.7%
Joseph R. Biden Jr. 333,414 32.5

1,024,537 votes, 1,343 of 2,000 precincts reporting

Addie

Post by Addie »

I'm seeing reports that Biden has won Washington. The New York Times hasn't called it yet.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Slim Cognito wrote:
He was the only candidate on the Republican ticket.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Addie wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:33 pm
I'm seeing reports that Biden has won Washington. The New York Times hasn't called it yet.
The Washington SoS site has Biden in the lead now.

Biden 379,736 34.21%
Sanders 368,402 33.19%

If the uncounted votes are ones that came in late I think Biden will win.
https://results.vote.wa.gov/results/202 ... Party.html

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Azastan wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:40 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
He was the only candidate on the Republican ticket.
Reminds me of the old Soviet system.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

When I voted yesterday, I signed on line 47 of the poll book. When my ballot scanned there had been a total of 48 ballots cast. One R voter! The R poll workers had one table and 2 people. The D poll workers had 4 tables and 6 people. I love my voting precinct.

Nothing to do with WA voting, I just thought of it when I read the thread.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Biden now up by almost 14,000 votes or 1.2%

Addie

Post by Addie »

SeattlePI
Biden takes lead from Sanders in Washington with King County vote totals

New returns from populous King County pushed ex-Vice President Joe Biden into the lead over Sen. Bernie Sanders in Washington's Democratic presidential primary, the one unresolved contest from six states that voted on Tuesday.

The Biden lead grew as other counties reported on Wednesday. Biden had 35.01 percent and 408,083 votes, to 33.62 percent and 391,880 votes for Sanders, who was narrowly ahead on Tuesday night. Spokane, Pierce, Snohomish, Whatcom, Jefferson and Mason Counties updated their vote totals on Wednesday. Biden took the lead from Sanders in King and Jefferson Counties, while Bernie nosed in front in Spokane County.

Sanders has long been assumed the frontrunner in the Evergreen State, having overwhelmed Hillary Clinton in the 2016 precinct caucuses and boasting of an organization chaired by early supporter U.S. Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash. Sanders drew 17,056 supporters to a raucous Tacoma Dome rally last month. Biden appeared only at closed-door fundraisers.

Still, Biden came out of nowhere, with no real organization. He spent little more than $11,000 in the state. Sanders spent nearly $700,000. But moderate and moderate-left Democrats coalesced around his candidacy, particularly after Pete Buttigieg, Sen. Amy Klobuchar and ex-New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg quit the race. Blumberg poured millions into the Washington primary.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

It appears the Washington SoS office shut down counting at 6 PM. I mean after all who gives a shit who won their primary? :nope:

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

12:30am EDT 3-11:

WA.JPG

That 11% for Warren is really interesting and imagine will be a topic of discussion.

Huge cheers for over 1 million WA voters who, while dealing with coronavirus, found the time to go vote. :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Orlylicious wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:36 am
12:30am EDT 3-11:

WA.JPG

That 11% for Warren is really interesting and imagine will be a topic of discussion.

Huge cheers for over 1 million WA voters who, while dealing with coronavirus, found the time to go vote. :clap:
Early voters from before she dropped out???

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Dan1100 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:38 am
:snippity:
Early voters from before she dropped out???
Yes, Washington is a mail in ballot state. They mailed ballots to voters in February so many of the votes for Warren and Bloomberg were cast before they dropped out.

There has to be a discussion on early voting in primaries before the 2024 election cycle. Many people cast votes for candidates who later dropped out this year. I intentionally held my ballot until a week before the election for this reason.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Think you're totally right RC -- these windows are too long, events happen.

One compromise could be that elections happen in person and by mail the same day, knowing results won't be available for 5 days (ballots can't be mailed until election day). As long as people know in advance, maybe it would be OK. But, of course, online voting is the answer -- Larry Sabato and I were tweeting about using like ATM or credit cards where authentication was air tight. Then just put the ballot on the touchscreen. That seems very secure. (Of course other methods if folks don't have bank accounts or credit cards).
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Orlylicious wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:03 am
Think you're totally right RC -- these windows are too long, events happen.

One compromise could be that elections happen in person and by mail the same day, knowing results won't be available for 5 days (ballots can't be mailed until election day). As long as people know in advance, maybe it would be OK. But, of course, online voting is the answer -- Larry Sabato and I were tweeting about using like ATM or credit cards where authentication was air tight. Then just put the ballot on the touchscreen. That seems very secure. (Of course other methods if folks don't have bank accounts or credit cards).
But wouldn't that mean everyone had to basically go to a polling place to use their ATM card or whatever? I thought the idea of ballot by mail was so they wouldn't have to go anywhere? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Return to “Presidential Election”