Michael Avenatti

Notorial Dissent

Re: Michael Avenatti

Post by Notorial Dissent »

I hope he likes jail, it's his new pied-à-terre.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

GUILTY ON ALL THREE COUNTS!

:happydance:

Sterngard Friegen

I feel vindicated. I knew from the first moment I learned of this fraudster that he was not what he seemed to be. And I took a lot of shit here for it, too.

Smackdown Friday. Now let's get convictions against Harvey Weinstein and it will be an OK week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

This might lose him a few votes in South Carolina.

Man, now Avenatti has ANOTHER thing I'll probably never get. I'm so envious.
Thanks pal.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:50 pm
I feel vindicated. I knew from the first moment I learned of this fraudster that he was not what he seemed to be. And I took a lot of shit here for it, too.

Smackdown Friday. Now let's get convictions against Harvey Weinstein and it will be an OK week.
:yeah: Yes, I remember you had his number right from the start. You and I think mike dunford also. And probably some others of the attorneys.

Wowee, I am hearing this was his "best" case as far as opportunity to get off. And apparently he's facing possibly 3-5. I don't recognize the person who was being interviewed about this, but supposedly someone following his cases closely.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

kickaha

Post by kickaha »

You know, I think he might have a valid case that taking away his Twitter access is cruel and unusual punishment. :violin:

chancery

Post by chancery »

This will make things easy for the California Bar.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Popehat is being wonderfully petty. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

At the same time, I'll still admit to some surprise. I thought - and said - that Avenatti was unethical, but that was based on how clearly he was taking actions that were more likely to benefit him than his clients. It raised red flags for me, and I don't think I'd have been stunned if he was caught doing some minorly stupid (but still disbar-able) things with accounts.

But the depth, breadth, and brazenness of the conduct, and the spectacular level of stupidity that was involved, were far beyond anything I thought possible.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Sterngard Friegen

Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:31 pm

At the same time, I'll still admit to some surprise. I thought - and said - that Avenatti was unethical, but that was based on how clearly he was taking actions that were more likely to benefit him than his clients. It raised red flags for me, and I don't think I'd have been stunned if he was caught doing some minorly stupid (but still disbar-able) things with accounts.

But the depth, breadth, and brazenness of the conduct, and the spectacular level of stupidity that was involved, were far beyond anything I thought possible.
When that $454 million judgment was reduced to $21 million and was then up on appeal, Avenatti's way out became bleak. (He was probably going to try to keep the whole $454 million for himself, thinking no one would notice.) But it looks like his dishonest and unethical conduct was already baked in at that point.

He has to have some degree of mental illness or severe personality disorder. Even a semi-intelligent lawyer would have to know he couldn't get away with all the shit he was pulling. There was - and is -- something wrong with the way he thinks. He's delusional, but that not the entire explanation.

He'll probably get 48 to 62 months for this frolic and detour. I anticipate a sentence in Los Angeles to be much longer. What he did here was really disgusting and caused a lot of harm. What he did in New York only threatened Nike and hurt one client with a claim of indeterminate value but not that much.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:31 pm

He'll probably get 48 to 62 months for this frolic and detour. I anticipate a sentence in Los Angeles to be much longer. What he did here was really disgusting and caused a lot of harm. What he did in New York only threatened Nike and hurt one client with a claim of indeterminate value but not that much.
Dunno. I wouldn't bet against it, given white collar, lack of violence, etc. But he's a lawyer and was using his role as a lawyer to enable the attempt. And my really really fast look at the guidelines suggests that the guidelines range is likely to be in the 108-135 bracket - presuming he's still considered to be at criminal history level I when he's sentenced. So it's going to probably take a 50% downward departure to get him to 62 months. Like I said, wouldn't bet against it. But probably wouldn't bet on it either.

One way or another, taking all prosecutions into account, it looks very likely that it's going to be "Michael who?" by the time he gets out.

And that'll be from his family.
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

I've heard this bull before.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

RVInit wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:04 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:50 pm

:yeah: Yes, I remember you had his number right from the start. You and I think mike dunford also. And probably some others of the attorneys.

Wowee, I am hearing this was his "best" case as far as opportunity to get off. And apparently he's facing possibly 3-5. I don't recognize the person who was being interviewed about this, but supposedly someone following his cases closely.

I quietly kept my mouth shut because my granny always said if you can't be nice be quiet. But I thought he was an asshat too. One thing my good upbringing instilled in me is a deep dislike for braggarts, its why I've hated Trump ever since I first read "Art of the Deal". Also, Lee Iaccoca, Rudy Giuliani, Pete Rose and most of the NBA. The one notable exception is ironically Mohammed Ali who I always enjoyed watching even though I detest boxing.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Sasse's statement is hypocritical and unworthy of the office. But it's also, on the whole, not wrong.

Sasse does, of course, imply that Avenatti orchestrated all the attacks on Kavanaugh, which is blatantly untrue. But I was pissed off at Avenatti for butting in and inserting himself into the Kavanaugh hearings at the time, and I will likely remain pissed off at Avenatti for the duration of Kavanaugh's time on the Court. Unfortunately, Kavanaugh is young enough that he might even outlast Avenatti's likely cumulative sentence.

Sterngard Friegen

So does G.W. Law still have a Michael Avenatti scholarship?

I find it ironic that the professor of Avenatti's who gushed the most about him was Jonathan Turley. Turley should be the Ronald (McDonald) Rotunda Professor of Ethical Lapses at G.W.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Does this mean the CA Bar might eventually get around to dis-barring him? Interested parties are curious.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

boots

Post by boots »

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:10 am
Does this mean the CA Bar might eventually get around to dis-barring him? Interested parties are curious.
I think this means the pending action to suspend him before his various State Bar cases are completed will get fast-tracked. It will perhaps go from requiring a full-blown hearing to being more like a motion proceeding. He'll get due process, but there's only one possible result.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Best Twitter take I've seen:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

On point! :lol: :rotflmao:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:06 pm
:snippity:
He has to have some degree of mental illness or severe personality disorder. Even a semi-intelligent lawyer would have to know he couldn't get away with all the shit he was pulling. There was - and is -- something wrong with the way he thinks. He's delusional, but that not the entire explanation.
I think he has the same condition as Donald Trump - Malignant Narcissism - which involves sociopathy and lots of magical thinking.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:28 am
On point! :lol: :rotflmao:
I had to look up Iolta Account. :x

Sterngard Friegen

The State Bar judge hearing Avenatti's involuntary enrollment case suggested after the last hearing was cut short by Avenatti's arrest that the case be decided on the evidence of the hearing, even though the case was not completed. The State Bar liked that idea in a recent filing, but we hadn't heard yet from Avenatti's team. However, the conviction in New York will short circuit all of that. I'm not sure if there needs to be a judgment of conviction (which happens in June after sentencing), but either the verdict finding Avenatti guilty of 3 felony counts or the judgment of conviction will be submitted by the Bar prosecutors to the State Bar Court and that will automatically suspend and then disbar Avenatti.

Of course, it's pretty hard to craptice the kind of law Avenatti was crapticing up until the day of his most recent incarceration when one is behind bars. But I'm sure Avenatti found a way to do so.

Avenatti is now done as a lawyer. Jonathan Turley's star night student will probably be 65 or 70 before he gets out of prison following the next two rounds of convictions, and the con man then won't be able to do anything except become an ordained minister like Barry Minkow of ZZZZ Best and use that as a stepping stone to more fraud.

I suspect Avenatti had plans to flee to Italy where he had obtained dual citizenship, and his January arrest put an end to that frolic and detour. :wave:

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

He's pushing 50 - turns 49 tomorrow, in fact. (Happy Birthday, Michael!) Out by 65 might be a bit optimistic. My understanding is that sentences resulting from different prosecutions for different crimes are typically consecutive. And I suspect that since all 3 of the prosecutions involve either an attorney using his bar license as a tool in an extortion scheme or an attorney stealing from clients, I'm not sure how much downward departure he'll get from the guidelines.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:06 am
I suspect Avenatti had plans to flee to Italy where he had obtained dual citizenship, and his January arrest put an end to that frolic and detour. :wave:
Perhaps he got cocky like a lot of criminals and didn't get out while the getting was good.

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:35 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:06 am
Perhaps He got cocky like a lot of criminals and didn't get out while the getting was good.
FIFU ;)

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”