Congressional Committees: Re FBI's Independence; Barr-Durham Investigation

Kendra

Re: Congressional Committees: Re FBI's Independence; Barr-Durham Investigation

Post by Kendra »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... d_nn_tw_ma

This is supposed to be the full interview, but I haven't watched it yet.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Kendra wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Watch on an empty stomach!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:26 pm
Kendra wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Watch on an empty stomach!
Just the clips are bad enough :madguy:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

This really probably belongs in other threads. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

I am terrified for our country at this point.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

tek

Post by tek »

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:31 pm
Bill Barr did a lengthy interview with, I think, Pete Williams of NBC (I was listening in the car). It is full of lies, general bullshit and RWNJ crazy. I guess that's the new strategy. It was pretty hair raising in the crazy and of course Pete Williams directed the narrative instead of asking important questions. :madguy:
I listened to a chunk of it driving home from Boston.

I had to stop listening to avoid the possibility or road rage.

Pretty amazing stinking pile.. delivered in a most condescending voice.
There's no way back
from there to here

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

tek wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:54 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:31 pm
Bill Barr did a lengthy interview with, I think, Pete Williams of NBC (I was listening in the car). It is full of lies, general bullshit and RWNJ crazy. I guess that's the new strategy. It was pretty hair raising in the crazy and of course Pete Williams directed the narrative instead of asking important questions. :madguy:
I listened to a chunk of it driving home from Boston.

I had to stop listening to avoid the possibility or road rage.

Pretty amazing stinking pile.. delivered in a most condescending voice.
Yes. I don't have a transcript, but the gross stuff I heard:

* The IG didn't have the ability to talk to everyone he needed to speak to and just had to take people's word for stuff. Durham, OTOH, has a grand jury that can force people to talk!

* Dirty Rotten James Comey "refused to re-up his security clearance" so the IG couldn't have asked him about classified stuffs! [ Of course, Jared and Ivanka got security clearances, Trump could've just given't Comey one too if he was really interested]

* Barr had to go trotting around Europe with Durham because those foreign governments needed Bill Barr to give a personal introduction [ I guess the phones at DOJ won't allow calls to Europe?]

And on it went. The IG reviewed over 1 million documents and did tons of interviews, turned out a 470+ page report (fully accepted by Christopher Wray) but Bill Barr knows better!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

What happens when/if Durham's grand jury decides not to indict?
ImageImageImage x4

tek

Post by tek »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:53 pm
Fake News!
There's no way back
from there to here

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:53 pm
Assuming that's what happened with Andrew McCabe (a big leap, but wth), nothing happens but silence.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:?: :?:

Is it remotely possible Durham's statement was made for him? All the news I've watched today are former prosecutors appalled at his comments before his investigation was done...

Still not ready to watch the Barr interview. Need more wine so it will be forgotten in the morning :bag:

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:51 pm
:?: :?:

Is it remotely possible Durham's statement was made for him? All the news I've watched today are former prosecutors appalled at his comments before his investigation was done...
At this point, the only rational take is to assume that he too is absolutely corrupt--having succumbed to the lure of autocratic power as so many others have done. It may not be true, but it should be considered true until proven otherwise.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie »

Independent: Trump appears to threaten FBI director for not repeating debunked conspiracy theory

He 'will never be able to fix the FBI', Mr Trump says

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo - Jennifer Rubin

The ‘travesty’ is William Barr

William P. Barr’s Tuesday interview with NBC News was certainly the most dishonest, frightful and deplorable given by an attorney general in modern times. He attacked the just-released inspector general report and excoriated the FBI for a “travesty” in investigating Russian manipulation of our 2016 election. His false — deliberately false — assertions were jaw-dropping: ...

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Former FBI lawyer Lisa Page sues Justice Department for releasing anti-Trump texts to media
Former FBI lawyer Lisa Page, a target of repeated attacks by President Trump, sued the bureau and the Justice Department on Tuesday, alleging officials unlawfully released a trove of politically charged text messages she exchanged with a senior FBI agent with whom she was having an affair.

Page accused the agencies of violating the Privacy Act by showing reporters a document containing nearly 400 texts between her and former senior FBI agent Peter Strzok, in which the pair discussed their intense dislike of Trump and their fear that he might win the presidency.

The messages, which came to light in December 2017, fueled claims that the FBI was prejudiced against Trump and became ammunition for scores of angry tweets and public statements by the president and his supporters.

:snippity:

Trump attacked Page personally at a campaign rally Tuesday night, spending several minutes parodying his perception of Page and Strzok’s relationship. He then claimed without evidence that Strzok needed a restraining order against Page when the relationship ended.

“This poor guy, did I hear he needed a restraining order after this whole thing, to keep him away from Lisa?” Trump asked the crowd at his Hershey, Penn., rally. “I don’t know if its true, the fake news will never report it, but it could be true.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... xts-media/

Lawsuit here. https://www.lawfareblog.com/former-fbi- ... nt-and-fbi
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie »

Mother Jones - David Corn: William Barr’s War on Reality, Truth, and the Law

Trump’s AG is brazenly assailing the IG report with lies.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting

Congress.gov
Calling for the resignation and disbarment of United States Attorney General William P. Barr, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
December 10, 2019

Mr. Rush submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

RESOLUTION

Calling for the resignation and disbarment of United States Attorney General William P. Barr, and for other purposes.

Whereas, on March 24, 2019, United States Attorney General William P. Barr deliberately mischaracterized the “Report On The Investigation Into Russian Interference In The 2016 Presidential Election” issued by Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller, III;

Whereas, on March 25, 2019, at Attorney General Barr’s direction, the Department of Justice ceased defending the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Public Law 111–148), a duly enacted law under the United States Constitution;

Whereas, on April 24, 2019, Attorney General Barr directed then-Acting Assistant Attorney General John Gore of the Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division to defy a subpoena from the House Oversight and Reform Committee pertaining to its investigation of the 2020 census;

Whereas, on July 8, 2019, Attorney General Barr deliberately mischaracterized the legal reasoning behind the Trump administration’s desire to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census and abruptly removed career Department of Justice attorneys in an unprecedented attempt to undermine a ruling by the Supreme Court of the United States;

Whereas, on July 16, 2019, Attorney General Barr ignored the recommendation of the Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division by declining to bring charges against the New York Police Department officer in the death of Eric Garner;

Whereas, on July 17, 2019, the United States House of Representatives voted to hold Attorney General Barr in criminal contempt of Congress for his refusal to comply with a duly-issued subpoena and deliberate obstruction of congressional oversight authority;

Whereas, on December 4, 2019, Attorney General Barr threatened the withholding of police protection from communities that do not show “support and respect” to law enforcement, a statement that has been interpreted as being directed at communities of color that protest police violence;

Whereas Attorney General Barr has perpetuated and promulgated conspiracy theories that have been repeatedly debunked by United States law enforcement and intelligence agencies, including before a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing, where he referred to legitimate and legal law enforcement surveillance as “spying”, and while traveling abroad to meet with foreign intelligence officials where he has continued to spread this dis­in­for­ma­tion;

Whereas Attorney General Barr has used taxpayer funds for international travel to seek foreign assistance in investigating a domestic political rival of the President of the United States;

Whereas Attorney General Barr has sought to undermine the Department of Justice inspector general’s report “Review of Four FISA Applications and Other Aspects of the FBI’s Crossfire Hurricane Investigation”, regarding the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s investigation of the Trump campaign; and

Whereas Attorney General Barr has refused to recuse himself from any Ukraine-related matters in which he is allegedly involved: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives—

(1) condemns United States Attorney General William P. Barr for his despicable comments and actions;

(2) calls on United States Attorney General William P. Barr to resign;

(3) calls on the Virginia State Bar to remove United States Attorney General William P. Barr from its rolls;

(4) calls on the New York State Bar Association to remove United States Attorney General William P. Barr from its rolls;

(5) calls on the District of Columbia Bar to remove United States Attorney General William P. Barr from its rolls;

(6) reaffirms support for the diversity of the United States; and

(7) reaffirms, in the strongest terms, its support for and commitment to the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN
John Durham's investigation into the FBI Russia probe comes into focus

Washington (CNN)A clearer picture of the next charged investigation into the FBI's probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election is emerging, and President Donald Trump is already cashing in on suggestions that it could reveal damning accusations of bias by law enforcement and intelligence officials that last week's inspector general report debunked.

The probe by federal prosecutor John Durham is now said to be wrapped up as soon as springtime and Justice Department officials in recent days indicated that Durham will dig deeper and cut harder on questions that Michael Horowitz, the department's independent watchdog, already asked.

Attorney General William Barr, long a skeptic of the FBI's tactics in operation "Crossfire Hurricane," has boosted Durham's access to foreign governments and US intelligence agencies, leaving some Democrats suspicious of potential political influence on the investigation.

Horowitz last week said his office found no evidence the FBI had improper motive in launching Crossfire Hurricane or carrying out certain investigative steps, but also detailed a series of errors by the FBI as they sought out intrusive surveillance measures.

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times OpEd - William Webster
I Headed the F.B.I. and C.I.A. There’s a Dire Threat to the Country I Love.

The rule of law is the principle that protects every American from the abuse of monarchs, despots and tyrants.

The privilege of being the only American in our history to serve as the director of both the F.B.I. and the C.I.A. gives me a unique perspective and a responsibility to speak out about a dire threat to the rule of law in the country I love. Order protects liberty, and liberty protects order. Today, the integrity of the institutions that protect our civil order is, tragically, under assault from too many people whose job it should be to protect them.

The rule of law is the bedrock of American democracy, the principle that protects every American from the abuse of monarchs, despots and tyrants. Every American should demand that our leaders put the rule of law above politics.

I am deeply disturbed by the assertion of President Trump that our “current director” — as he refers to the man he selected for the job of running the F.B.I. — cannot fix what the president calls a broken agency. The 10-year term given to all directors following J. Edgar Hoover’s 48-year tenure was created to provide independence for the director and for the bureau. The president’s thinly veiled suggestion that the director, Christopher Wray, like his banished predecessor, James Comey, could be on the chopping block, disturbs me greatly. The independence of both the F.B.I. and its director is critical and should be fiercely protected by each branch of government.

Over my nine-plus years as F.B.I. director, I reported to four honorable attorneys general. Each clearly understood the importance of the rule of law in our democracy and the critical role the F.B.I. plays in the enforcement of our laws. They fought to protect both, knowing how important it was that our F.B.I. remain independent of political influence of any kind.

As F.B.I. director, I served two presidents, one a Democrat, Jimmy Carter, who selected me in part because I was a Republican, and one a Republican, Ronald Reagan, whom I revered. Both of these presidents so respected the bureau’s independence that they went out of their way not to interfere with or sway our activities. I never once felt political pressure.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Tangential question. Was any dirt actually obtained from the FISAs? From what I remember of the mueller report most of the dirt was from informants and interviews.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Newsweek
What Happens When a Highly Regarded Prosecutor Joins Trump World? Just Ask John Durham

John Henry Durham, the U.S. attorney for Connecticut, is a self-effacing, modest, deeply religious, hard-working prosecutor. Unlike a fair number of U.S. attorneys across the country, he also shuns the limelight relentlessly, even though, on several occasions through a storied career, the limelight has nonetheless found him.

But not like this. Not like now.

Appointed by Donald Trump to lead Connecticut's U.S. attorney's office in 2017, Durham was tapped by Attorney General William Barr in May of this year to investigate the origins of the investigation into candidate and then President Donald Trump—and his alleged ties to Russia. Depending on where you fall on the red-to-blue spectrum, this makes him either an avenging angel, come to right the wrongs inflicted on Donald Trump by an evil deep state—or a deeply untrustworthy partisan hack, tasked to do the dirty work of an allegedly illegitimate president and his attorney general sidekick.

So which is he? Maybe a little of both now.

Until very recently, Durham had, somewhat magically, avoided being part of the partisan bludgeoning. That was all due to his record—and his reticence in talking about it. Though a registered Republican, Durham, now 69, earned chits from Connecticut Democrats for successfully prosecuting former Republican Governor John Rowland for corruption.

Later, then–Attorney General Eric Holder put his trust in Durham, having appointed Durham to one of the most sensitive investigations of the Obama era. Holder's predecessor, Michael Mukasey, had appointed Durham to lead an investigation into why the CIA had destroyed video of waterboarding sessions of captured detainees. In 2009, Holder ordered Durham to widen his probe: He was now to investigate whether any CIA officers should be prosecuted for their roles in applying "'enhanced interrogation techniques" to prisoners. At the time, the political left in the U.S. was baying for blood in the wake of the torture allegations. After a lengthy Durham investigation, the Department of Justice decided not to charge. Holder praised his work publicly.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Someone genuinely “deeply religious” would not work for Individual-1.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:43 pm
Someone genuinely “deeply religious” would not work for Individual-1.
I disagree. Seems like a lot of deeply religious people are working for Trump these days. Unless you want to get into useless internecine arguments about who is and who is not the more faithful follower of a 1st century Palestinian rabbi/carpenter.

(The world has actual problems. How about we stop caring about the superstitions of people who were unaware of the germ theory of disease, and start trying to fix what needs fixing? As far as I'm concerned, religious practice and zealotry is and has been nothing but an obstacle to meaningful progress for far, far too long.)
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Edit: Deleted because I really don't need to be yelled at etc. Christmass will be hard enough.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

tek

Post by tek »

Suranis wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:52 pm
Edit: Deleted because I really don't need to be yelled at etc. Christmass will be hard enough.
:bighug:
There's no way back
from there to here

Addie

Post by Addie »

Hugz :grouphug:
Suranis wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:52 pm

Return to “Congress”