Re: Donald: Impeachment Watch

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:21 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:43 pm
The Hoarse Whisperer
@HoarseWisperer
·
2m
Trump just admitted his call with Ukraine was recorded word-for-word by stenographers.

Cool. Release the verbatim transcript.
Seems Trump has been ranting for an hour while the president of Finland is sitting there. :roll:
That's one of his worst diplomatic missteps. Letting reporters questionon things totally unrelated to the country of the visitor. That's what press briefings are there for. Just in case he does not make a heli trip.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:26 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:09 pm
https:// twitter.com/nytimes/status/1179452247744356357?
The New York Times @nytimes
Vladimir Putin said Wednesday that he would not mind if the White House made public his talks with President Trump at a summit meeting last year. A Kremlin spokesman had said last week that Moscow wanted them to remain secret. https://nyti.ms/2otK0fD
That's the Helsinki talks, where Teh Donald sulked out of the meeting like a wet poodle :?:

The one where Teh Donald consifcated all papers from the translator?

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:21 pm

Is there a post/thread somewhere that is a list of what he will be impeached for? I know the Ukranian call was a "last straw" type of thing, but what exactly are they going to charge/indict/impeach him with?

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:39 pm

Jez wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:21 pm
... what exactly are they going to charge/indict/impeach him with?
We don't know yet. Hell, Congress doesn't know yet; they haven't decided.

Right now it's just an "inquiry" if it's even that. The inquiry hasn't actually been hatched yet, it's still just an egg in the incubator.

But they are going to hatch that egg, and then we'll know more. :towel:

I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:48 pm

I'll just put this here.
PicsArt_10-02-07.46.47.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:19 pm

Turtle wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:38 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:03 pm
Sounds like Linick is a Trumpster now.

Sad.
I think he was just alerting them to what's out there before someone else tries to use it.
I could be wrong, but that is how I take it, too. I don't think it helps Trump or Pompeo at all. I think it makes Pompeo look like the Trump bootlicker he is, and also makes it obvious that he traffics in conspiracy theories right along with Trump and Guiliani. Without hearing how the IG presented it, it's impossible to say for sure, but I don't take it as the IG trying to help Trump and Pompeo. I may change my mind after getting more information, but that's my take on it at the moment.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:22 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:19 pm
Turtle wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Sad.
I think he was just alerting them to what's out there before someone else tries to use it.
I could be wrong, but that is how I take it, too. I don't think it helps Trump or Pompeo at all. I think it makes Pompeo look like the Trump bootlicker he is, and also makes it obvious that he traffics in conspiracy theories right along with Trump and Guiliani. Without hearing how the IG presented it, it's impossible to say for sure, but I don't take it as the IG trying to help Trump and Pompeo. I may change my mind after getting more information, but that's my take on it at the moment.
Now that I know more, that’s how I see it.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:54 pm

Throw enough people under the bus, and eventually the wheels no longer touch the pavement.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:57 pm

I presume that, by now, Trump has had a little chat with Mike Pence about granting him a pardon. Considering that Trump might be indicted after leaving office, and be considered too serious a flight risk to be bonded out, it may be difficult for Trump to advise Pence to wait until after Election Day to issue that pardon.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:06 pm

What are the odds Pence would promise to pardon and not follow through? :daydream:

I know this is crazy, but these are crazy times.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:35 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:57 pm
I presume that, by now, Trump has had a little chat with Mike Pence about granting him a pardon. Considering that Trump might be indicted after leaving office, and be considered too serious a flight risk to be bonded out, it may be difficult for Trump to advise Pence to wait until after Election Day to issue that pardon.
I don't see that at all.

To Trump, Pence is little more than his covfefe boy.

Also, Trump would never admit that he could actually go to jail.

much ado

Post by much ado » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:53 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:35 pm
Fortinbras wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:57 pm
I don't see that at all.

To Trump, Pence is little more than his covfefe boy.

Also, Trump would never admit that he could actually go to jail.
That's the way I see it, too. Trump is not fully in touch with reality. He does not even understand that he is actually in danger of being removed from office. Trump is incompetent on many levels.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:16 pm

MAGA Committee is running youtube ads, there are TV ads run by Committee to Defend President Trump. Both collecting phone numbers.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:36 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:19 pm
Turtle wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Sad.
That's how I read it, too.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:35 am

Hurtzi wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:26 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Sad.
Jumping on a sinking ship? What can make him do that?
Giuliani fecit.

The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:49 am

I'm trying to decide whose interests are being served by the article that the Post dropped last night about Pence's involvement with Ukraine.

Team Trump obviously has an incentive to try to implicate Pence as much as possible. First, to inoculate against Pence's desire to be President, which might incline him to quietly favor Trump being impeached and removed. Second, as a last resort with wavering Hill Republicans who might decide that Trump really does have to go, by making it clear that Trump and Pence would both have to be removed together. While some Republicans in the Senate might be able to defend voting to oust Trump and elevate Pence, voting to remove both and usher in President Pelosi would be an act of sheer political suicide for any Republican. By that reasoning, no matter how bad the scandal gets, Trump can probably keep 2/3 of the Senate in line. Or third, Trump could try to make Pence a convenient fall-guy. The veep can be indicted while in office after all. Ask Spiro Agnew.

On the other hand, Pence and his staff have to see Trump's play a mile away. They would want to make it clear that Trump can't just put all the weight on Pence. Their leaking would amount to a helpful reminder to Trump that Pence could put the proverbial nail in his coffin.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:52 am

CBS News had an interesting take last evening....

Thanks pal.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:39 am

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:47 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:49 am
I'm trying to decide whose interests are being served by the article that the Post dropped last night about Pence's involvement with Ukraine.

Team Trump obviously has an incentive to try to implicate Pence as much as possible. First, to inoculate against Pence's desire to be President, which might incline him to quietly favor Trump being impeached and removed. Second, as a last resort with wavering Hill Republicans who might decide that Trump really does have to go, by making it clear that Trump and Pence would both have to be removed together. While some Republicans in the Senate might be able to defend voting to oust Trump and elevate Pence, voting to remove both and usher in President Pelosi would be an act of sheer political suicide for any Republican. By that reasoning, no matter how bad the scandal gets, Trump can probably keep 2/3 of the Senate in line. Or third, Trump could try to make Pence a convenient fall-guy. The veep can be indicted while in office after all. Ask Spiro Agnew.

On the other hand, Pence and his staff have to see Trump's play a mile away. They would want to make it clear that Trump can't just put all the weight on Pence. Their leaking would amount to a helpful reminder to Trump that Pence could put the proverbial nail in his coffin.
I cannot imagine a universe in which the Senate Republicans would allow both Trump and Pence to be removed at the same time. *If* they're going to remove Trump and Pence both, they'll remove one first, giving him time to choose a successor to the VP, and then remove the other. The Senate would have to confirm the choice for VP, but I don't think the Democrats would want to hold up the process over that, because the alternative would be that *nobody* gets removed (which is what I think is actually going to happen anyway).

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:12 am

Indict Pence before removing Trump, then Pence stays, but doesn't run in 2020, in exchange the indictment dies on the vine.

And then we start frog marching the rest of them in front of DC juries.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:36 am

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... ald-trump/

Even Mike Pence Can See Trump Is Trying to Drag Him Down With the Ukraine Ship
Hence the defensive leaking from the vice president's camp.

I'll bet you didn't know that The Cannibal Feast had a breakfast buffet, did you? Let's consult the menu in The Washington Post.
Trump instructed Pence not to attend the inauguration of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in May — an event White House officials had pushed to put on the vice president’s calendar — when Ukraine’s new leader was seeking recognition and support from Washington, the officials said. Months later, the president used Pence to tell Zelensky that U.S. aid was still being withheld while demanding more aggressive action on corruption, officials said. At that time — following Trump’s July 25 phone call with Zelenksy — the Ukrainians probably understood action on corruption to include the investigation of former vice president Joe Biden and his son Hunter Biden.
You know this is true because it's exactly the kind of transparently obvious ploy that this president* believes makes him look like the Smooth Operator he sees in his gilt-edged mirror every morning. However, despite being dumb as a box of rocks, even Mike Pence can spot the bucket of water above the door.

It is now apparent that El Caudillo del Mar-a-Lago's plan was to somehow involve everyone in his extortionate Ukraine ratfcking scam. It is equally apparent that Pence—or someone who works for him—is disinclined to join the parade of complicit simpletons who are following this president* out of Hamelin. A brawl between the two highest ranking members of the executive branch is the worst thing that possibly could happen to this president*. The more Pence stands his ground, the more he becomes a plausible president. (Add that to the ninth volume of my new collection entitled, Stuff I Never Thought I'd Write.) But that's what seems to be shaping up here.

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:45 am

Don't both houses of Congress have to approve a new VP?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:45 am

Is "president*" a thing? The Rude Pundit uses that also.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:55 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:45 am
Don't both houses of Congress have to approve a new VP?
Yes.
"Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress."

"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:13 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Impeachment”