How Hard Will Donald Go Down?

p0rtia

Re: How Hard Will Donald Go Down?

Post by p0rtia »

voxpopuluxe wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:04 pm
Orlylicious wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:38 pm
But now the house of cards seems to be falling pretty quickly, from the economy to new Russian hostilities to fighting with our allies so there aren't any backstops for US policy. And comparing our Fed chief to the communist dictator of China ...
I'm not making any bets on any of this because the last three years have been nothing but "after X it's over for these hoes" where X has been, variously, Donald's behavior, Kelly's departure, baby jails, the Muller Report, etc., etc. Simple fact is, those hoes are still there because the ruling party and its supporters want him in there, whatever the costs, the opposition party is, on the whole, too timid/ham-handed/complicit to try to force him out, and the rest of us are too scattered and disorganized and exhausted to have much of an effect. So while I'm doing everything I can to support my preferred candidate, the chances that the current occupant will simply lose and leave seem increasingly slim to me.

(My pessimism has put off a few friends over the last several years, but Cassandra was right, I say.)

If Donald does go down, however hard it is, it won't be hard enough.
This. All of it.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

RVInit wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:40 am
NotaPerson wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:38 pm
Orlylicious wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:05 pm
We will see... from Erick Erickson's The Resurgent:

August 27th, 2019
Swing State Polling Shows Nightmare For Republicans

https://theresurgent.com/2019/08/27/swi ... publicans/
Let's hope the polling firms have improved their methods of state-level polling since 2016. :|
I wonder how much of 2016 had to do with people too embarrassed to admit they intended to vote for Trump. I know several of those people. Once the voting was over and they realized how many others did the same, they started throwing it in our faces with glee. This time anyone who is going to vote or Trump will likely say so right up front. I don't know if that was the real difference in 2016, but it sure seemed like it in these parts.
I don't think there was much to that. Being too embarrassed to tell your neighbors you plan to vote for Trump doesn't necessarily mean you'll lie to an anonymous person who called you for a poll. Besides, the average of the national polls predicted the overall popular vote count for 2016 very well. Something just went very wrong with some of the swing-state polling. Pennsylvania is still very vivid in my memory. That state was polled quite frequently, and I'm pretty sure every single poll (done by a legit polling firm) suggested the state favored Clinton. Yet Trump won it.

It could well be the state-level polling folks figured out what they did wrong and have corrected their methods (I'm making a note to look into this). I can't imagine why they would not have done so. So I too find the data from that article very encouraging.
Am I being detained?

bob

Post by bob »

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:30 pm
Just to clarify, while Kemp will appoint a replacement, the seat will be up for grabs in 2020, meaning both Georgia seats are open.
Can Kemp appoint himself? If so, is he likely to do so? And/or is he interested in the full-term seat?
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

This is what I was thinking of in the original post. I'm curious to see if Donald's number drop off a cliff... will the GOP stay in lockstep with so much damning information? Willard Romney was honest today and said they want to stay in power, and won't support a Sanders or Warren because it's so far from their governmental beliefs. I've been in meetings and am just catching up... this Ukraine matter seems like the tip of the iceberg and if this isn't disturbing to independents, we're not communicating effectively.
The titular Mama June enjoys a Corn Dog on 4th of July! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

POLITICO:
Support for impeachment jumps in new poll
By STEVEN SHEPARD 09/26/2019 04:00 PM EDT

Voters are now evenly split on whether Congress should begin impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump, a marked increase in support for impeachment, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll. The poll, which began after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced her support for impeachment proceedings on Tuesday, shows 43 percent of voters think Congress should begin the process of impeachment, while an equal number of poll respondents say Congress shouldn’t begin impeachment proceedings. Another 13 percent of voters are undecided.

Online interviews for the latest POLITICO/Morning Consult poll began Tuesday night, after Pelosi’s announcement, and ran through early Thursday, with nearly all interviews conducted prior to the public release of a complaint from a whistleblower concerned about Trump’s conduct in dealing with Ukraine. Support for impeachment is up 7 points from the previous poll, which was conducted last Friday through Sunday. In that survey, only 36 percent of voters supported starting impeachment proceedings, while 49 percent opposed them. Among Democratic voters, support for impeachment proceedings has increased 13 points, from 66 percent in the previous poll, to 79 percent now.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/ ... mp-1515012
The titular Mama June enjoys a Corn Dog on 4th of July! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I've been saying since the beginning of my Death Throws post that when the end came, it would fall apart quickly. When the polls go 55=60% the Republicans will start saying out loud what they've been saying in private all along. This might be done by Christmas.

:fiesta: :shootin: :banana: :worship: :bwaha: :cheer1: :bunny: :shoot: :winner:
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Its all about their constituency now. The Trump party doesn't have enough time + resources to put down a mass defection. Plus, they had his back for 2+ years on the Mueller probe, he got mostly clear of it, they were dumb enough to believe he'd learned his lesson and certainly didn't believe he would go out the very next day and do it again.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Turncoats at Fox News! Breitbart:
FNC’s Wallace: Trump Defenders’ Spin Is ‘Deeply Misleading’ — ‘There Is Something There’
PAM KEY 27 Sep 2019

Friday on Fox News Channel’s “America’s Newsroom,” network anchor Chris Wallace said the “spin” by President Donald Trump’s defenders was “deeply misleading.”

Wallace said, “The spinning that has been done by the president’s defenders over the last 24 hours since this very damaging whistleblower complaint came out, the spinning is is not surprising but it is astonishing, and I think deeply misleading.”

He continued, “Let’s look at what the whistleblower says. The whistleblower says it was a troubling call in which the president asked the Ukrainian president to investigate and to look at the allegation of this wrongdoing by Vice President Biden and by his son. We now have a rough transcript of that phone call and that’s exactly what happened.”

He added, “What is clear from reading the complaint that it is a serious allegation, that a lot of it has proven to be borne out already. The whistle-blower lays out a blueprint from talking to various officials in the White House, various officials in the State Department. And to dismiss this as a political hack seems to me to be an effort by the president defenders to try to make nothing out of something and there is something there.”
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019/09 ... ing-there/

And the eeeevil Paul Ryan!
Report: Paul Ryan Pushing Fox News to ‘Decisively Break’ with Trump
TONY LEE 26 Sep 20190

Former House Speaker Paul Ryan, who currently sits on the board of Fox Corp., is reportedly urging Fox News to “decisively break” with President Donald Trump, according to a Thursday Vanity Fair report documenting the network’s “management bedlam.”

Vanity Fair’s Gabe Sherman, citing four sources, reported that Fox Corp. CEO Lachlan Murdoch, who has long tried to move Fox News to the center, “is already thinking about how to position the network for a post-Trump future.”

Ryan, the longtime Trump antagonist, has reportedly been suggesting to Murdoch that “Fox should decisively break with the president” as Murdoch holds “strategy conversations with Fox executives and anchors about how Fox News should prepare for life after Trump.”

Vanity Fair cited “an executive who’s spoken with Ryan” who simply said: “Paul is embarrassed about Trump and now he has the power to do something about it.”
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019 ... ith-trump/

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I hope the story about Paul Ryan is correct. And I hope Fox Noise will quit acting as Trump TV. That would definitely make it easier to get rid of him.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

How Hard Will He Go Down?

Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!
ImageImageImage

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Let's hope it takes Posterity a lot less time to erase Trump's works than it did Ozymandias'.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I'll wait.
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

p0rtia wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:20 pm
I'll wait.
I'll bring the popcorn. 🍿

I thought I'd better get enough for everyone.

popcorn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage x4

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Love you Slim! Thank you!!

Jim

Post by Jim »

Gregg wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:11 pm
This might be done by Christmas.
Oh please no! Let it go on to the summer recess, with daily soundbites and updates the pubs have to answer for every step of the way. Good thing we got plenty of popcorn!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Jim wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:45 pm
Gregg wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:11 pm
This might be done by Christmas.
Oh please no! Let it go on to the summer recess, with daily soundbites and updates the pubs have to answer for every step of the way. Good thing we got plenty of popcorn!
The harvest of this years crop is ready to begin these days now ;)

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

If consumer spending drops, Donald's in big trouble.

As of 2pm, Dow down 317. CNBC top stories:

US manufacturing survey shows worst reading in a decade

Trump targets 'pathetic' Federal Reserve after worst manufacturing reading in a decade

Trump targets ‘pathetic’ Federal Reserve after worst manufacturing reading in a decade
PUBLISHED 3 HOURS AGO UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO
Jacob Pramuk @JACOBPRAMUK

KEY POINTS
President Donald Trump again criticizes the Federal Reserve after a poor reading of U.S. manufacturing activity.
He says the central bank does not have a “clue” and calls it “pathetic.”
Trump has repeatedly blamed the Fed as concerns grow about a slowing U.S. economy.

In a tweet, the president wrote Fed Chair Jerome Powell and the central bank “have allowed the Dollar to get so strong, especially relative to ALL other currencies, that our manufacturers are being negatively affected.” He contended the Fed has set interest rates “too high.”

“They are their own worst enemies, they don’t have a clue,” he wrote. “Pathetic!”

As his trade war with China rages on, Trump has repeatedly blamed the Fed’s interest rate policy for concerns about a slowing U.S. economy. He has contended the central bank has not moved quickly enough to ease monetary policy — though the Fed has cut its benchmark funds rate twice this year.

The Fed did not immediately respond to a request to comment.

Trump’s tweet comes after the Institute for Supply Management’s manufacturing reading fell to 47.8 in September, down from 49.1 in August. A reading below 50 shows a manufacturing contraction.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/01/trump-t ... ecade.html

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

This is how I want to see Trump go down.

Although Trump would get jammed in the bathroom window.

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

I can't find a clip of the Warden Norton scene from Shawshank Redemption, but that's my ideal :dance:
“It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times.”
—Ali Smith, Autumn

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I kind of have my heart set on something more along the lines of the Rodney King video. That's just me. :smoking:
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Gee, the Mooch sure wants to be involved...

Anthony Scaramucci
‏Verified account @Scaramucci

When the hearings are out in the open over 70 percent of the public will want the impeachment and removal of @realDonaldTrump. Lawlessness and disloyalty to America, a traitor to the people and the Constitution.

11:13 AM - 31 Oct 2019

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

This topic just sits quietly, waiting... :P
GOP views next few weeks as critical for Trump
BY JONATHAN EASLEY - 03/12/20 06:08 PM EDT

President Trump’s actions over the next few weeks to contain the coronavirus and stabilize the economy may determine whether voters give him a second term in office. Only weeks ago, Trump appeared to be in a strong position for reelection. Despite being impeached by the House, the president’s approval ratings were near their all-time highs and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) was the front-runner for the Democratic nomination, which was viewed as a risky bet by many Democrats. All of a sudden, Trump is presiding over a shaky economy. The pandemic afflicting the country has resulted in a brutal stock market sell-off and raised questions about whether the U.S. will dip into a recession.

At the same time, former Vice President Joe Biden has emerged as his likely challenger in November, potentially putting new states like Florida in play in the general election. Democratic turnout in the primary has surged behind Biden, and he’s received strong support from the suburban voters who delivered a House majority for Democrats in 2018. Officials in Trump’s orbit acknowledge the political situation has changed and that the economy will be a major factor this fall. Yet they are also exuding confidence about Trump’s chances. “We understand the economy is the whole ballgame,” said one administration official. “At the same time, it’s an opportunity for the president to draw a leadership contrast with Biden. The president is totally equipped to handle this and the story will change once the markets rebound.” The Dow Jones Industrial Average shed another 2,300 points on Thursday. After reaching an all-time high of 29,500 in mid-February, the index ended the latest day of trading around 21,200.

There are fears that a lost quarter of economic growth might turn into a prolongated recession, as consumers hunker down and companies scale back production. “Wall Street taketh away a lot faster than it giveth,” former Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele told The Hill. “The hard reality is, your 401(k) today is likely a lot lighter than it was two weeks [ago]. That means retirement, vacations, education, or new kitchen cabinets look less likely for a lot of people today.” There is little doubt the economy is taking a major hit from the coronavirus. The National Basketball Association has suspended its season. Major League Baseball has delayed Opening Day. Movie releases are being pushed back and there are reports of panicked consumers stockpiling goods from retail outlets.

Some experts have warned that the panic over the virus might be worse than the pandemic itself, straining the health care system and provoking irrational consumer and investor behavior. Trump has made a point to push for calm, particularly around the financial markets. “The markets are gonna be just fine,” Trump said from the White House on Thursday. Policymakers are also working to provide immediate help. The New York Federal Reserve injected new liquidity into the markets on Thursday while Congress is working on an emergency spending package. Trump is considering a national emergency to free up additional resources to combat the disease, among other things.

The challenges for Trump go beyond markets to problems in how the U.S. has responded to the virus. There is growing outrage over the lack of availability of test kits for the coronavirus, which has likely suppressed the known number of cases in the U.S. Biden and Democrats have also sought to focus public attention on Trump’s handling of the crisis. “Unfortunately, this virus laid bare the severe shortcomings of the current administration,” Biden said Thursday in his own address on the coronavirus. “Public fears are being compounded by pervasive lack of trust in this president.” Republicans interviewed by The Hill remained confident, believing Trump struck the right notes in the Oval Office address. Many are more worried about the panic surrounding the coronavirus, which is the first major pandemic in the age of social media. There is a belief that Democrats and the news media are sensationalizing the story and talking the economy down to score political points against Trump.

“The Democrats and the media are stoking a lot of fear around this, that’s obvious,” said one Republican with close ties to the White House. “At the same time, a lot depends on whether this is a short term drop or a long-term recession. If this lasts into the fall, of course it hurts him. If it’s over in two months, he’ll be fine.” The hope in GOP circles is that the worst-case scenarios around the virus do not materialize, leaving plenty of time for the markets and the economy to bounce back between now and November. “If the virus does result in a recession, I fully expect Democrats will be calling this the Trump economy and risk appearing to be enjoying the bad news a little too much,” said Sam Geduldig, a prominent Republican lobbyist in Washington. “Right now, none of this shit is good for Republicans. I agree right now that if the economy turns, it’s not ideal for Trump’s reelection. But Trump’s impeachment feels like it was years ago. Two weeks ago, everyone who makes a living in D.C. thought Bernie Sanders would win the presidential nomination. There is a chance that this stabilizes and things go back to normal people will end up just remembering it as something that happened.” Many Republicans view Biden as a weak and bumbling candidate whose deficiencies will be exposed in a one-on-one debate with the president. But at the moment, Biden is steamrolling his way to the Democratic nomination. There are signs he will be a formidable challenger to Trump in the key Midwest battlegrounds that could determine the outcome of the 2020 election.

In the Michigan primary on Tuesday, Democratic turnout shattered records, spiking 33 percent over 2016 turnout. That surge has been driven by black voters, moderates and suburbanites. Trump is struggling mightily among voters in the suburbs and with moderates, who are turned off by his style and tone. “The same type of voter, including some traditional Republicans, who came out and flipped those House seats in 2018 are coming out in support of an alternative to Trump in these primaries,” said Patrick Murray, the polling director at Monmouth University. “For many of these voters, if their option was Bernie Sanders, it would be a lot tougher for them. Joe Biden makes it easier. The big questions are whether these suburban voters who jumped ship from Republicans in 2016 outnumber the working-class voters who feel the system is against them and went for Trump, and whether Biden can cut into those working-class voters in 2020.”
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... -for-trump

Return to “President & Executive Branch”