Residential Solar

Addie

Residential Solar

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:42 pm

NPR
To Some Solar Users, Power Company Fees Are An Unfair Charge

In Alabama's Blount County, off the highway, down a dirt road and up a hill is writer T.K. Thorne's house. She points to her roof and a shining row of black solar panels.

It's a 4-kilowatt system — pretty typical for residential solar — and Thorne got it almost four years ago hoping to help the environment and reduce her electricity bill.

It was a big investment — $8,400 even after a federal tax break. Thorne estimated how long it would take to pay off the solar system, installed the panels, and began waiting for the savings to begin.

But then she found out about a monthly $5-per-kilowatt solar fee from the state's largest utility, Alabama Power.

"That's $20 a month," Thorne says. While that doesn't sound like a lot of money, she says, it will double the time it will take her to pay off the system.

Because of the fee, 65-year-old Thorne says it'll take almost two decades to pay back her panels.

"Yes," she says and laughs, "I may not be alive."

Green energy groups say this solar fee is a key reason why, according to Wood Mackenzie and the Solar Energy Industries Association, Alabama comes in 48th out of 50 states in residential solar capacity. (North Dakota and South Dakota trail Alabama).

Addie

Re: Residential Solar

Post by Addie » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:45 am

Electrek: Tesla launches solar rental service, can get a solar panel system for $50 per month

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:27 pm

We have solar. We’ve had it for about 7 years. We got the big federal tax break, plus a grant from the state (Virginia), so what would have been a $28K install ended up around 16K (I think). It’s pretty awesome.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:15 am

My utility company recently sent a letter about options for going solar. it will not be of any use for me right now. First of all, I rent. Second, I do not live on the sunny side of Sunnyside.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:36 am

I always think of that story W4 tells about her cousin who, on sunny days, stands on his porch, with his hands on his hips, and shouts, "We're making money!" :lol:
Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:27 pm
We have solar. We’ve had it for about 7 years. We got the big federal tax break, plus a grant from the state (Virginia), so what would have been a $28K install ended up around 16K (I think). It’s pretty awesome.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:44 am

Addie wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:36 am
I always think of that story W4 tells about her cousin who, on sunny days, stands on his porch, with his hands on his hips, and shouts, "We're making money!" :lol:
Maybenaut wrote:
:lol:

We’re never going to make money. We have a passive system - the power we generate goes to the grid, and the power we use comes from the grid. We have a total of 18 panels that generate about 80 percent of the energy we use. But I can stand on my stoop and shout “We’re saving money!”
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:06 pm

Addie wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:36 am
Maybenaut wrote:
:lovestruck:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:12 pm

Paul’s Hardware, a Tech YouTube channel has posted an update on his residential solar install. He estimates 12 year pay off on the system.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:52 am

We had a solar guy who knocked on our door last spring. We let him in and listened to a long pitch ... but our roof faces due east and west. No southern exposure. Tall trees on three sides of the house. He sent some techs to look at us, and we never heard from him again. :blackeye:
I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:00 am

Twelve year payoff? Is that including the lost investment opportunity of those dollars spent? I'm wondering if the cells have a 12 year lifespan. Does this include routine maintenance? You can't just put it up and never touch it again. The batteries would need replacement a couple of times in that 12 year period. I've never seen solar with a positive return unless there were energy credits involved.

I'm more than familiar with solar. I've used it for remote locations where it was prohibitively expensive to run power lines. That was the only place I saw where it had potential.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:20 am

The technology has improved. Lithium batteries have a longer lifespan, and the cells (or sheets, now) are more efficient. Just ten years ago I would have agreed with you about the hardware.

A lot of the cost (as you know) is installation labor. Not much you can do about that.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:01 pm

Power company helping customers to go off grid

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-10- ... s/11572762

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:41 pm

Californians Learning That Solar Panels Don’t Work in Blackouts
https://news.bloombergenvironment.com/e ... -blackouts

This was a topic of discussion after Maria. If you don't have a battery, solar panels won't work at all during a blackout. (With the exception of some inverters that have allow for power output without a battery)

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:30 pm

I have never met anyone stupid enough to have solar panels without a bank of batteries.

I’m just sayin’.
X3

tek

Post by tek » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:46 am

I doubt anyone around here has batteries with their residential solar system..
I know none of the half-dozen neighbors with solar I talk to have them.
There's no way back
from there to here

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:52 am

In Hawaii, a lot of us have solar for hot water. It pays off very quickly, including tax credits, and isn't dependent on electricity.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

BBFlatt

Post by BBFlatt » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:04 am

I recently installed a grid-tied rooftop solar system with no battery bank. When I talked to the contractor about the possibility of adding batteries they told me I'd be better off getting a generator.

I'm in west-central Florida, and in the 18 years we've been in this house I think there have been 2 power outages that lasted more than about 4 hours. We were out of town for one of them, the second was after Hurricane Irma when we were without power for a week.

Being without power for an extended period is unpleasant, but financially we only lost maybe a couple hundred bucks in food spoilage. Spending five grand or more on batteries or a whole house generator doesn't seem worth it given the infrequency of the need for them.

If we needed to store perishable medical supplies like insulin the calculus would be different. YMMV

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:49 am

If you consider the north where the temperatures go well below zero regularly, BBFlat, you'd see where a generator would be necessary. I've seen power knocked out for over a week in sub-zero weather and food spoilage is the least of concern in that situation. I have natural gas, but it's of no use without electricity. The water pipes will freeze. The house becomes uninhabitable. You're talking mega bucks to restore the house.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

BBFlatt

Post by BBFlatt » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:11 am

Zeke, you are quite correct. We have a natural gas furnace and water heater. The furnace requires electricity to function, but we seldom need it, especially during hurricane season. The gas water heater needs no electric, and the ability to take hot showers during that week long power outage was a godsend.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:37 am

We have a number of friends with no-grid homesteads, and they all have battery banks. That could be the story... they have no access to natural gas, and are a long way from places to get fuel for generators.

One has the best design for water use I’ve ever seen. It’s on several levels running down a hillside. Above the house is a water catchment, and the bath and kitchen use the water first. (They have passive solar water heating too.) The gray water is dripped down to planters, and the plants eventually use nearly all the water.

Roof overhangs prevent the sun from hitting the black thermal mass walls built just interior of the windows in summer, but as the sun gets lower toward winter it hits more of the black walls.

I have no idea why you’d spend a bunch to get solar panels, put them on a house that cost a pretty sum, but then not spring for batteries and a smart charging system. Night time? Cloudy days? Batteries come in handy.

It’s a free country, but that makes no sense to me. I guess if you are on a grid that gives you credit for excess power, the grid is sort of acting as your batteries, so there’s that.
X3

tek

Post by tek » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:01 am

With net metering, you sell your excess energy to the power company when the sun is out, and draw from the grid when there isn't enough solar... so, other than the case of a grid outage, a battery isn't much of an advantage.

Some utilities around here (usually municipals) don't do net metering, and residential solar penetration is usually very small in these areas.
There's no way back
from there to here

BBFlatt

Post by BBFlatt » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:39 pm

The return on investment on my solar project is pretty good; we have the benefit of net metering, and our electric rates are pretty high, thanks in part to Duke Energy billing rate payers about $3 Billion for repairs to a nuclear plant that they decided to abandon.

The 30% federal income tax credit helps too.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:05 am

tek wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:01 am
With net metering, you sell your excess energy to the power company when the sun is out, and draw from the grid when there isn't enough solar... so, other than the case of a grid outage, a battery isn't much of an advantage.
What this guy said. If there's no power outage, the battery doesn't help you at all. It just increases how long it takes until your install can break even.

Return to “Energy & Environment”