The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

jmj

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

Post by jmj » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:30 pm

R. Kelly Charged With Sexual Abuse in Chicago

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/22/arts ... icted.html
The R&B singer R. Kelly was charged on Friday in Chicago with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse in connection with four victims, according to Cook County state’s attorney Kimberly Foxx.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:49 pm

jmj wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:30 pm
R. Kelly Charged With Sexual Abuse in Chicago

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/22/arts ... icted.html
The R&B singer R. Kelly was charged on Friday in Chicago with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse in connection with four victims, according to Cook County state’s attorney Kimberly Foxx.
Still hasn't come up with the 100K to post bond his 10% of the 1 million dollar bond.

https://apnews.com/7cdc5193db3d43db9255 ... tralRegion :-D

"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:01 pm

a non-predator
Geoffrey Rush awarded £1.6m in defamation case
Bernard Lagan, Sydney
May 23 2019, 12:00pm, The Times

The actor Geoffrey Rush has been awarded almost £1.6 million in a defamation case, a record in Australia, after he sued over reports that falsely accused him of sexually harassing a co-star.

The owner of Sydney’s Daily Telegraph newspaper is to pay the actor almost A$2 million (£1.1m) for lost earnings, on top of an A$850,000 payout, plus interest.

The award, recorded in Federal Court document, follows a series of reports in the newspaper that accused Mr Rush of “inappropriate behaviour” towards an actress who appeared alongside him in a Sydney stage of production of King Lear.

In a “world exclusive” the tabloid printed the allegations in November 2017 with a front-page picture of the Australian actor, headlined “King Leer”.

TheTimes paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -rbqcvn8z8

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:03 pm

Cuba Gooding Jr. charged with forcible touching in alleged New York groping incident

By Chloe Melas and Marianne Garvey, CNN
Updated 0004 GMT (0804 HKT) June 14, 2019

(CNN)Cuba Gooding Jr. has been charged with forcible touching, a misdemeanor, and sex abuse in the third degree relating to an alleged groping incident in New York City last weekend.

Gooding voluntarily surrendered to the NYPD for questioning on Thursday and pleaded not guilty to the charges in a Manhattan court.
The actor was released on his own recognizance after the judge set the next court date for June 26.
Mark Heller, his attorney, said during a press conference that his client has been very cooperative with police and expects to be fully exonerated.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/13/ente ... index.html

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Hideous Men- Donald Trump assaulted me in a Bergdorf Goodman dressing room 23 years ago. But he’s not alone on the list of awful men in my life.

https://www.thecut.com/2019/06/donald-t ... s-men.html
After almost two years of drawing and redrawing my list, I’ve come to realize that, though my hideosity bar is high, my criteria are a little cockeyed. It is a gut call. I am like Justice Potter Stewart. I just know a hideous man when I see one. And I have seen plenty. For 26 years, I have been writing the “Ask E. Jean” column in Elle, and for 26 years, no matter what problems are driving women crazy — their careers, wardrobes, love affairs, children, orgasms, finances — there comes a line in almost every letter when the cause of the correspondent’s quagmire is revealed. And that cause is men.

Viz.: the man who thinks 30 seconds of foreplay is “enough,” the man who cheats on his wife, the man who passes women over for promotion, the man who steals his girlfriend’s credit cards, the man who keeps 19 guns in the basement, the man who tells his co-worker she “talks too much in meetings,” the man who won’t bathe, the man who beats his girlfriend’s dog, the man who takes his female colleagues’ ideas, the man who tries to kill his rich wife by putting poison in her shampoo. Every woman, whether consciously or not, has a catalogue of the hideous men she’s known.

As it turns out, a Hideous Man marks practically every stage of my life. And so, Reader, from this cavalcade of 21 assholes, I am selecting a few choice specimens. One or two may not be pleasant for you to read about, I apologize. But if we all just lean over and put our heads between our knees, the fainting feeling will pass. No one need be carried from the room.
About Trump-
I am astonished by what I’m about to write: I keep laughing. The next moment, still wearing correct business attire, shirt, tie, suit jacket, overcoat, he opens the overcoat, unzips his pants, and, forcing his fingers around my private area, thrusts his penis halfway — or completely, I’m not certain — inside me. It turns into a colossal struggle. I am wearing a pair of sturdy black patent-leather four-inch Barneys high heels, which puts my height around six-one, and I try to stomp his foot. I try to push him off with my one free hand — for some reason, I keep holding my purse with the other — and I finally get a knee up high enough to push him out and off and I turn, open the door, and run out of the dressing room.
From What Do We Need Men For? A Modest Proposal, by E. Jean Carroll. Copyright © 2019 by the author and reprinted by permission of St. Martin’s Publishing Group.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:23 pm

Whip

Post by Whip » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:48 pm

how were his guns not confiscated to begin with?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:11 pm

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:18 pm

Whip wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:48 pm
how were his guns not confiscated to begin with?
Florida.

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:26 pm

Donald Trump is trying to gaslight us on E. Jean Carroll’s account of rape
The president’s response to the advice columnist’s accusation is to make us doubt our own eyes.

By Laura McGannlaura.mcgann@vox.com Jun 21, 2019, 8:22pm EDT

Donald Trump deployed half a dozen tactics in a press release on Friday that any abuser would recognize.

Trump’s goal was to get us to question our own eyes and discredit columnist E. Jean Carroll, who described an encounter with Trump in the 1990s that ended in rape.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... al-assault

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:22 pm

Cosby's lawyers file 348-page appeal claiming unfair trial

Lawyers for Bill Cosby filed an appeal of his 2018 conviction on three counts of sexual assault on Tuesday, arguing that the comedian faced an unfair trial.

Law and Crime reported Tuesday that the 348-page appeal filed by Cosby's attorneys argued that Cosby's trial was tainted by the testimony of other women who accused him of sexual assault but were not related to the three charges on which he was convicted last year.

Cosby was convicted in April of drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand, a former employee with Temple University where Cosby had received an honorary degree that has since been rescinded.

He is behind bars after being sentence to three to 10 years in state prison by a judge last September.

The 81-year-old former star of "The Cosby Show" tweeted Tuesday that it was a "beautiful day" and thanked his "millions of supporters," while including a picture of his attorney wheeling stacks of boxes containing his appeal into the courthouse.
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... fair-trial

tweet in the article. I didn't paste the photos here.
Bill Cosby ✔ @BillCosby
· 2h
This is a beautiful day and it’s delicious. You’re seeing it as it was described to me by Mrs. Cosby — a photo showing the “Wheels Of Justice” delivering my appeal to the Superior Court of Pennsylvania. Thank you to my millions of supporters (the freedom fighters)...

Bill Cosby ✔ @BillCosby
Thank you to my lawyers; thank you Sharp Shooter (Andrew); thank you to my family; and thank you to my Beautiful Bride, Mrs. Cosby... for these strong words, “America will be great when it fulfills the last four words of the revered Pledge of Allegiance....."and justice for all.”

11:28 AM - Jun 25, 2019

The only thread I could find with "Bill Cosby" in the title is
Bill Cosby Allegations (last post Thu Jul 06, 2017)
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7443

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:13 pm

"Justice for all" means justice for Cosby's many victims.

Keep him locked up and throw away the key.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:59 pm

for the record:
Neil deGrasse Tyson Cleared by Misconduct Investigation, Will Keep Museum Job
By Jordan Crucchiola JULY 26, 2019

Last year, Neil deGrasse Tyson was accused of misconduct by multiple women who had worked with or socially come into contact with him over the years. Since then, the American Museum of Natural History has been investigating those claims with the help of a firm called T&M Protection Resources, and has determined that Tyson will keep his job as the director of the Hayden Planetarium, according to the New York Times. He was also previously under investigation by National Geographic, but the network cleared him and said it would continue to produce episodes of his shows Cosmos and Star Talk, though neither of those shows have a return date yet for broadcast.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/07/neil-de ... ayden.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:01 pm

Plácido Domingo, Opera Star, Accused of Sexual Harassment
Nine women told The Associated Press they were pressured into sexual relationships. Mr. Domingo said he believes the interactions were “welcomed and consensual.”

By Michael Cooper and Alex Marshall
Aug. 13, 2019

Plácido Domingo, among the biggest and most powerful stars in opera, was accused of decades of sexual harassment in an article published Tuesday by The Associated Press. The article reported the allegations of multiple women who said Mr. Domingo pressured them into sexual relationships with the offer of jobs and sometimes punished them professionally if they refused his advances.

The news agency said that eight singers and a dancer had given accounts of being harassed by Mr. Domingo in a series of encounters beginning in the late 1980s. Seven of them said that they felt their careers were harmed after they rebuffed him.

:snippity:

Mr. Domingo, 78, said in a statement that “the allegations from these unnamed individuals dating back as many as 30 years are deeply troubling, and as presented, inaccurate,” but added that “it is painful to hear that I may have upset anyone or made them feel uncomfortable — no matter how long ago and despite my best intentions.”

He added that “the rules and standards by which we are — and should be — measured against today are very different than they were in the past” and pledged to hold himself “to the highest standards.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/arts ... opera.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:35 pm

James Levine and Met Opera Settle Suit Over Sexual Misconduct Firing
The conductor’s suit and the company’s counterclaim each sought roughly $5.8 million in damages; whether money changed hands was not disclosed.

By Michael Cooper
Aug. 6, 2019

One of the most closely watched #MeToo-related legal battles in classical music — pitting the eminent conductor James Levine against the Metropolitan Opera, which fired him in 2018 amid accusations of sexual misconduct — came to an inconclusive end on Tuesday, when the two sides announced that they had quietly settled their claims against each other.

The terms of the settlement between the Met and Mr. Levine, 76, were not disclosed in a stipulation discontinuing the case that was filed in State Supreme Court in Manhattan. Neither side would comment on the details, or whether money changed hands.

The Met initially suspended Mr. Levine in late 2017 after The New York Times published the accounts of several men who said that they had been sexually abused by him as teenagers; Mr. Levine denied their accusations. The Met fired him in March 2018, saying that its own investigation had “uncovered credible evidence that Mr. Levine engaged in sexually abusive and harassing conduct towards vulnerable artists in the early stages of their careers.”

Mr. Levine then sued the Met for breach of contract and defamation. He sought more than $5.8 million, noting that his 10-year contract as music director emeritus, the title he took after stepping down as music director in 2016, entitled him to a salary of $400,000 a year and an additional $27,000 per performance. The Met responded by filing a counterclaim against Mr. Levine for roughly the same amount — detailing accusations that Mr. Levine had abused or harassed people for decades, and accusing him of violating his duties to the Met and harming the institution.

A judge dismissed almost all of Mr. Levine’s defamation claims against the Met this spring, but Mr. Levine’s breach-of-contract claims may have been strengthened by the fact that his agreement with the Met did not contain a so-called “morals clause” holding him to certain standards of behavior. Mr. Levine’s lawyers, who denied all the allegations against him, argued in court papers that the contract contained no provisions that would have allowed the Met to remove Mr. Levine “due to alleged or actual misconduct or wrongdoing.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/arts ... opera.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:57 pm

Stanford sexual assault victim reveals her identity
For years she was known as "Emily Doe," the sexual assault victim of Stanford swimmer Brock Turner. Now she's revealing her name, face, and voice

Last Updated Sep 4, 2019 1:57 PM EDT

"Emily Doe," the anonymous sexual assault victim whose impact statement was read by millions before the #MeToo movement caught fire, will appear on "60 Minutes," putting her own voice, name and face to her powerful words. Chanel Miller tells her story for the first time in an interview with Bill Whitaker to be broadcast on "60 Minutes," Sunday, September 22 at 7:30 p.m. ET and 7 p.m. PT on CBS.

Miller, who has written a memoir called "Know My Name," read her victim impact statement in court to her assailant, the former Stanford swimming standout Brock Turner, who was convicted of three felony sexual assault charges supported by two eyewitnesses who stopped and subdued him. Her story became a cause célèbre when the statement was published online after Turner was sentenced to six months jail time. In the statement, "Emily" recounts her inability to control her own narrative in a justice system she says is brutal and dehumanizing for victims.

Turner served three months of the six-month sentence that also included three years of probation and the requirement to register as a sex offender. The judge in the trial was recalled for the lenient sentence he gave Turner.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chanel-mil ... 019-09-04/

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:42 pm

She Doesn’t Believe All Women
Juanita Broaddrick, who alleges that Bill Clinton raped her in 1978, has found new life as a Trump defender.
Outside of Trump’s base, the name Juanita Broaddrick may stir only muddled memories—wasn’t she one of the women not named Monica Lewinsky who accused Bill Clinton of something? Paula Jones, Kathleen Willey, Gennifer Flowers—their stories can blur, but each of these women has a distinct set of allegations, and Broaddrick’s are the most serious. She says Clinton raped her in 1978, when he was the attorney general of Arkansas and she was a volunteer for his gubernatorial campaign. She did not report the alleged crime to the police; in fact, Broaddrick’s name wasn’t made public until two decades later, via a 1998 court filing in the Paula Jones case. (Clinton denied the allegations.) Even though Broaddrick did some press—once she’d been outed, she wanted the chance to share her perspective—the story didn’t stick to the Clinton legacy the way Lewinsky’s has. At the time, her claims were mostly ignored, and when acknowledged they were often disparaged; the fact that she’d recanted in an affidavit after being subpoenaed by Jones’s lawyers was a favorite data point of critics. (Broaddrick says she denied that anything had happened with Clinton because she didn’t want to get involved in a big legal circus with Jones.)
The evolving opinion about Broaddrick’s claim hasn’t inspired her to temper her support for Trump. Part and parcel of that is her unwillingness to trust the word of a single one of the more than 15 women who have accused the president of sexual misconduct. (Trump has denied the allegations.) “They need to be investigated,” she likes to say.

Her determination to stand by her man is especially surprising when it comes to Carroll, because the two women’s stories are eerily parallel: Both women say they were tricked into being alone with the men. Both Carroll and Broaddrick told friends at the time of the incident, and these friends have corroborated their accounts. Both allegations surfaced decades after the fact. Both women said they were raped, as opposed to sexually harassed or groped like the other accusers of Clinton and Trump.

Broaddrick told me she thinks Carroll just wanted attention. Carroll also acted strangely during an appearance on CNN, Broaddrick said. “I’m sure she knows he’s gay, but it was like she was putting the make on Anderson Cooper.” Ultimately, Broaddrick said, her skepticism comes down to her gut—not just her feelings about Carroll but about all the women who have accused the president of sexual improprieties. “When you’ve been raped, you have a persona about you—it’s almost like you can sense it. I don’t have ESP, but you can almost feel their feelings if these things really happened to them.”

I've heard this bull before.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Return to “Current Events”