DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

User avatar
Flatpointhigh
Posts: 7909
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:05 pm
Location: Hotel California, PH23
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.
Contact:

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#651

Post by Flatpointhigh » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:27 pm


My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 13938
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#652

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:33 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:30 pm
Kendra wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:31 pm
:nooo:
Now, now, Kendra. Give peacenis a chance. :blackeye:
:lol:

User avatar
Sam the Centipede
Posts: 7153
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#653

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:47 am

I don't see a problem with that. Find a sharp knife and a bucket of ice and we can start immediately.

Knife not sharp? Even better! And the bucket of ice is to cool this cheeky little rosé from Bordeaux, what did you think it was for?

User avatar
Slim Cognito
Posts: 6500
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#654

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:13 am

Jeez! I'm almost afraid to read any new articles on Epstein.
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

User avatar
Jim
Posts: 3299
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#655

Post by Jim » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:48 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:47 am
I don't see a problem with that. Find a sharp knife and a bucket of ice and we can start immediately.

Knife not sharp? Even better! And the bucket of ice is to cool this cheeky little rosé from Bordeaux, what did you think it was for?
I think we should arrange a conjugal visit from Lorena Bobbitt. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

User avatar
Hurtzi
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:52 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#656

Post by Hurtzi » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:08 pm

Some new info.
Jeffrey Epstein lavished cash on lawyers’ charities after sweetheart plea deal
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEL ... id=US%3Aen

The gorilla is growing every day and nearly fills up the room.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

User avatar
Jim
Posts: 3299
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#657

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Hurtzi wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:08 pm
Some new info.
Jeffrey Epstein lavished cash on lawyers’ charities after sweetheart plea deal
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEL ... id=US%3Aen

The gorilla is growing every day and nearly fills up the room.
Meh, nothing illegal about giving gifts to your defense lawyers charities for a job well done. If it was the prosecutors' charities, you might have something.

Any IAAL's want to chime in about gifts given to them from clients?

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#658

Post by Azastan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:54 pm

Jim wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:15 pm
Hurtzi wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:08 pm
Some new info.
Jeffrey Epstein lavished cash on lawyers’ charities after sweetheart plea deal
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEL ... id=US%3Aen

The gorilla is growing every day and nearly fills up the room.


Meh, nothing illegal about giving gifts to your defense lawyers charities for a job well done
. If it was the prosecutors' charities, you might have something.

Any IAAL's want to chime in about gifts given to them from clients?
Depends upon what the gift is.

User avatar
fierceredpanda
Posts: 1939
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:04 pm
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#659

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:41 am

If more of my clients would like to give me gifts after I get them a great deal, I wouldn't complain. And no, it wouldn't be unethical at all for me to accept.

But, honestly, this year I would just as soon more clients just paid me in full. Ordinarily I require the full amount up front, but I extended the hand of generosity to a couple clients in tough spots recently, and they both welched on a couple thousand dollars of my fee. That's what you get for being nice when you're a criminal defense attorney.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

User avatar
Hurtzi
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:52 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#660

Post by Hurtzi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:00 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:41 am
If more of my clients would like to give me gifts after I get them a great deal, I wouldn't complain. And no, it wouldn't be unethical at all for me to accept.

But, honestly, this year I would just as soon more clients just paid me in full. Ordinarily I require the full amount up front, but I extended the hand of generosity to a couple clients in tough spots recently, and they both welched on a couple thousand dollars of my fee. That's what you get for being nice when you're a criminal defense attorney.
There are two professions where you have to pay up front - worldwide. One of these two is yours.

If you want to know why - ask Cicero.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

User avatar
Sam the Centipede
Posts: 7153
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#661

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:02 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:41 am
If more of my clients would like to give me gifts after I get them a great deal, I wouldn't complain. And no, it wouldn't be unethical at all for me to accept.

But, honestly, this year I would just as soon more clients just paid me in full. Ordinarily I require the full amount up front, but I extended the hand of generosity to a couple clients in tough spots recently, and they both welched on a couple thousand dollars of my fee. That's what you get for being nice when you're a criminal defense attorney.
:o :o You're saying that a criminal defense attorney sometimes has clients who aren't completely totally honest and trustworthy?!?! Say it ain't so!! :-D

User avatar
Hurtzi
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:52 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#662

Post by Hurtzi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:04 am

Azastan wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:54 pm
Jim wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:15 pm
Hurtzi wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:08 pm
Some new info.



https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEL ... id=US%3Aen

The gorilla is growing every day and nearly fills up the room.


Meh, nothing illegal about giving gifts to your defense lawyers charities for a job well done
. If it was the prosecutors' charities, you might have something.

Any IAAL's want to chime in about gifts given to them from clients?
Depends upon what the gift is.
Well, like this
Epstein’s C.O.U.Q. nonprofit donated $500,000 in 2007 to the Ramaz School on the Upper East Side, where attorney Jay Lefkowitz was a prominent member of the school’s Orthodox Jewish community
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

User avatar
Maybenaut
Posts: 5584
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am
Location: Maybelot

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#663

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:07 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:41 am
If more of my clients would like to give me gifts after I get them a great deal, I wouldn't complain. And no, it wouldn't be unethical at all for me to accept.

But, honestly, this year I would just as soon more clients just paid me in full. Ordinarily I require the full amount up front, but I extended the hand of generosity to a couple clients in tough spots recently, and they both welched on a couple thousand dollars of my fee. That's what you get for being nice when you're a criminal defense attorney.
I’ve had post-representation “thanks” beyond what I expected only three times in my career. The first was in the form of a thank you card from a client a year after his trial. I convinced him to take a deal he did not want to take, and after spending time in prison and hearing the sentence of others with similar offenses, he finally woke up. I couldn’t have beat the charges — he was caught red-handed, so the only question was how much time he would get.

The second was when the family of a servicemember who died without life insurance because of a government snafu wanted to give me a big chunk of money after we won and they were able to collect. I thanked them for the generous offer but declined. They had paid me a flat fee up front based on my estimation of the hours I thought it would take, and I thought I had already been fairly compensated.

The most recent time was when a guy had an issue in his record based on a falsehood that he told when he first came in the service, and repeated every time he had to reenlist. It was such a small thing but weighed incredibly heavily on this guy’s mind. I wrote a letter, it was fixed immediately. Couple weeks later I got a box from Harry and David.

The overwhelming majority of my clients believed that they’ve been fucked by the government and resent having to pay me to fix it. So... I don’t expect much in the way of thanks.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#664

Post by Azastan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 am

Hurtzi wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:04 am
Well, like this
Epstein’s C.O.U.Q. nonprofit donated $500,000 in 2007 to the Ramaz School on the Upper East Side, where attorney Jay Lefkowitz was a prominent member of the school’s Orthodox Jewish community
I wasn't talking about cash gifts.

User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 6691
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#665

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:27 am

Azastan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 am
Hurtzi wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:04 am
Well, like this
Epstein’s C.O.U.Q. nonprofit donated $500,000 in 2007 to the Ramaz School on the Upper East Side, where attorney Jay Lefkowitz was a prominent member of the school’s Orthodox Jewish community
I wasn't talking about cash gifts.
Wink wink nudge nudge gifts?

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#666

Post by Azastan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:49 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:27 am
Azastan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 am
Hurtzi wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:04 am
Well, like this
Epstein’s C.O.U.Q. nonprofit donated $500,000 in 2007 to the Ramaz School on the Upper East Side, where attorney Jay Lefkowitz was a prominent member of the school’s Orthodox Jewish community
I wasn't talking about cash gifts.
Wink wink nudge nudge gifts?
Yes.

User avatar
NotaPerson
Posts: 3316
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#667

Post by NotaPerson » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:06 pm

Am I being detained?

User avatar
Slim Cognito
Posts: 6500
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#668

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:12 pm

NotaPerson wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:06 pm
Wow, first our GOP governor actually puts effort into fixing our red tide/green algae problem and now this? It pains me to keep giving him kudos. He's still a racist trumpster, but he's a lot better than Rick Scott (who is now our senator :evil: ). Granted, it's a low bar.
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

Grumpy Old Guy
Posts: 2053
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:24 am
Occupation: Retired, unemployed, never a lawyer

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#669

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:05 pm

NotaPerson wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:06 pm
Are the Sheriff and former State’s Attorney Democrats?
Did Epstein neglect to contribute to the Governor’s campaign?

User avatar
Res Ipsa
Posts: 2583
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:31 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#670

Post by Res Ipsa » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Jim wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Any IAAL's want to chime in about gifts given to them from clients?
I have a form letter which I have clients sign when they want to give me a gift, which happens relatively frequently. Basically, it is a statement that it is an unsolicited freely given gratuity, and that there is no expectation of amount or quality of service beyond what was contracted for. It is often an unspent retainer amount, and I’d prefer to have that statement than a line item on an invoice in the event of an audit.

But these were donations to charities. Yes, I do solicit, and my clients do pay, to charities I support, which has included over $16,000 in donations to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute since 2017. http://profile.pmc.org/jb0722

My clients generally make a tremendous amount of money from my advice and they recognize that.
Thanks pal.

User avatar
Slim Cognito
Posts: 6500
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#671

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:34 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:05 pm
NotaPerson wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:06 pm
Are the Sheriff and former State’s Attorney Democrats?
Did Epstein neglect to contribute to the Governor’s campaign?
It looks like the state's attorney was a democrat. I'm still checking on the sheriff, but he's the one who went to DeSantis to request the investigation. Both registered democrats.
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

User avatar
Slim Cognito
Posts: 6500
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#672

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:18 am

That explains some of it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/07/jeffrey ... -says.html
Jeffrey Epstein ‘misappropriated vast sums of money from me,’ Les Wexner says


Jeffrey Epstein, the financier under indictment for alleged child sex trafficking, misappropriated more than $46 million from Les Wexner and his family, the L Brands founder and chairman said Wednesday.
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

User avatar
Notorial Dissent
Posts: 12485
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#673

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:27 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:18 am
That explains some of it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/07/jeffrey ... -says.html
Jeffrey Epstein ‘misappropriated vast sums of money from me,’ Les Wexner says


Jeffrey Epstein, the financier under indictment for alleged child sex trafficking, misappropriated more than $46 million from Les Wexner and his family, the L Brands founder and chairman said Wednesday.
Now extorted I would come closer to believing.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 13938
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#674

Post by Kendra » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:49 am


BREAKING: The Second Circuit issues its mandate to unseal a large tranche of Jeffrey Epstein-related docs, as an old docket becomes public for the first time.

Developing, and will provide details and documents as they emerge.

Background @CourthouseNews https://www.courthousenews.com/court-or ... ein-files/
I don't quite understand what it all means yet, but Mr. Klasfeld should sort through it all soon and have us a story :bighug:

User avatar
Flatpointhigh
Posts: 7909
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:05 pm
Location: Hotel California, PH23
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.
Contact:

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

#675

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:48 am

Kendra wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:49 am

BREAKING: The Second Circuit issues its mandate to unseal a large tranche of Jeffrey Epstein-related docs, as an old docket becomes public for the first time.

Developing, and will provide details and documents as they emerge.

Background @CourthouseNews https://www.courthousenews.com/court-or ... ein-files/
I don't quite understand what it all means yet, but Mr. Klasfeld should sort through it all soon and have us a story :bighug:
Creepy and disgusting
https://www.courthousenews.com/porn-tit ... ein-files/
MANHATTAN (CN) – Revealing literary tastes befitting an accused sex trafficker, the Second Circuit offered a nauseating look Friday at Jeffrey Epstein’s Amazon purchases in a huge tranche of unsealed documents

With titles like “SlaveCraft: Roadmaps for Erotic Servitude – Principles, Skills and Tools” and “Training With Miss Abernathy: A Workbook for Erotic Slaves and Their Owners,” the evidence appeared as part of a lawsuit by Virginia Giuffre against alleged Epstein accomplice Ghislaine Maxwell.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Post Reply

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”