ART: I know it when I see it

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: ART: I know it when I see it

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 02, 2019 7:29 pm

Mr. Gneiss wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:45 pm
The Monet exhibition will be in the Hamilton Building. It is named after Frederic C. Hamilton who headed the fundraising drive for the $110 million building. In 2014, he bequeathed 22 impressionist paintings to DAM, four of which are by Monet.

The building's odd shape is said to create equilibrium problems for some people.

Hamilton Building - Denver Art Museum
Love it!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu May 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:48 pm
Mr. Gneiss wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:45 pm
The Monet exhibition will be in the Hamilton Building. It is named after Frederic C. Hamilton who headed the fundraising drive for the $110 million building. In 2014, he bequeathed 22 impressionist paintings to DAM, four of which are by Monet.

The building's odd shape is said to create equilibrium problems for some people.

Hamilton Building - Denver Art Museum
Good art often throws people off balance.
Yeah, but so does bad art. :rolleye:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun May 05, 2019 12:49 pm

April 30 ·
Very powerful! WINNER 2019 Port Aransas Sand Fest Sculpture - “Liberty is Crumbling” 😢🇺🇸
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 07, 2019 11:00 am

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue May 07, 2019 12:55 pm

:shock:
They say that on his deathbed, Voltaire, asked to renounce the devil, said, "This is no time to be making new enemies."

tencats

Post by tencats » Wed May 22, 2019 11:04 am

Facebook Bans Artist For Transforming MAGA Hats:

Kate Kretz
May 20
A Cautionary Tale on Art, Censorship & Social Media

I’m one of those artists who’s been plugging away in the studio for the past thirty years. Part of the Art World’s middle tier, I am perpetually hovering on the edge of my “big break”, but I no longer hold my breath in wait for it. I have work in a few important collections, and a 25-page CV. I’ve won Arts Council grants in all the states I’ve lived in, I have a few nice exhibition catalogs, and have been in museum shows across the country and abroad. I hope to move up a few more rungs on the art world ladder before I die, but that’s far less important to me than consistently making work I am proud of.

Presently, all but the top 1% of artists are struggling. Several artist grants have dried up, and sales have declined, leaving creatives to expend more energy simply trying to make ends meet. So many middle-tier galleries have closed that a large number of artists like myself are managing our own careers full-time while making art. Social media has been a tremendous help in this area: I can create a new work, post it, get instant feedback, and often, within a few weeks or months, get offers to exhibit it. While a few hundred to a few thousand people might see my art “in real life” during the course of an exhibition, a strong, well-photographed image placed on social media can reach ten times as many eyes through multiple “shares”.

Read more at

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 am

Reposting this as a reminder to anyone considering visiting Denver between October 21, 2019 and February 2, 2020, tickets for the Monet exhibit go on sale to the general public on June 25. As a member, I can "pre-purchase" tickets for the Monet exhibit for $22 for an adult. For non-members the exhibit is $27, and you will also have to purchase a general admission ticket for $10 (Colorado adult resident) to $13 (Out-of-state resident).

ETA: This link regarding Monet Ticket Tips
Mr. Gneiss wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:21 pm
The Denver Art Museum will have an exhibition of 125 Claude Monet paintings from October 21, 2019 through February 2, 2020. This isn't meant to be be a replacement for the meetup earlier in October. Denver will be the only U.S. venue for the exhibit.

For exhibit and ticket information: Claude Monet The Truth of Nature

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:07 am

Lazarus and the Rich Man.
Stoneware
By Aaron Benson
Northshore Sculpture Park
Skokie, IL

Photo:
Yashica mat 124g
Ilford delta 100
Orange filter

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:43 am

ESPYS Red Carpet has some fab artwork on the guys!

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fash ... essed-men/

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:48 pm

https://mymodernmet.com/kirie-paper-cut ... yo-fukuda/
Japanese Artist Hand-Cuts Intricate Octopus From Single Sheet of Paper
Paper cutting art requires tremendous patience and a steady hand, and Japanese artist Masayo Fukuda has mastered the craft. Known as Kirie in Japanese (translated as “cut picture”), the traditional art form involves cutting intricate forms from a single sheet of white paper and then contrasting it against a black background to reveal the design. Fukuda has been practicing Kirie for 25 years and has recently revealed what she believes to be her best work of 2018—an incredible life-sized paper octopus.

At first glance, the beautiful artwork looks as though it was rendered using fine-tipped pens, but Fukuda carefully cut every detail from one sheet of paper. The elaborate depiction details the majestic sea animal’s rounded body, bulging eyes, and 8 long arms. Various textured sections look like pieces of delicate patterned lace, such arm suckers that resemble ornamental doilies and decorative swirling patterns on the head. The mesmerizing artwork celebrates the beauty of the fascinating species, who are known to change their skin color and texture within seconds to match their surroundings.
kirie-paper-cutting-art-octopus-masayo-fukuda-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:10 pm

Artist Crochets Life-Size Anatomically Correct Skeleton with Removable Organs

https://mymodernmet.com/crochet-skeleton-shanell-papp/?

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:18 am

COOOOOLLL!!!

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:18 am

tencats wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:04 am

Facebook Bans Artist For Transforming MAGA Hats:

Kate Kretz
May 20
A Cautionary Tale on Art, Censorship & Social Media

I’m one of those artists who’s been plugging away in the studio for the past thirty years. Part of the Art World’s middle tier, I am perpetually hovering on the edge of my “big break”, but I no longer hold my breath in wait for it. I have work in a few important collections, and a 25-page CV. I’ve won Arts Council grants in all the states I’ve lived in, I have a few nice exhibition catalogs, and have been in museum shows across the country and abroad. I hope to move up a few more rungs on the art world ladder before I die, but that’s far less important to me than consistently making work I am proud of.

Presently, all but the top 1% of artists are struggling. Several artist grants have dried up, and sales have declined, leaving creatives to expend more energy simply trying to make ends meet. So many middle-tier galleries have closed that a large number of artists like myself are managing our own careers full-time while making art. Social media has been a tremendous help in this area: I can create a new work, post it, get instant feedback, and often, within a few weeks or months, get offers to exhibit it. While a few hundred to a few thousand people might see my art “in real life” during the course of an exhibition, a strong, well-photographed image placed on social media can reach ten times as many eyes through multiple “shares”.

Read more at
Thanks for sharing this. Quite interesting.

A bit off topic but I was also cut off from Facebook recently. It began with what was likely some bogus claimed "security" matter with my account, Facebook demanding that I provide a cell phone number they could send a text message to with a code I would then enter into Facebook to verify my number; I think that all Facebook really wanted was my phone number and that the security issue was merely a pretext to obtain it.

I did not really want to do this, as Facebook has proven incapable (and worse) of protecting personal information. And there is no way to delete a phone number like that once Facebook has it. But I decided to do it anyway.

But that was not all. Next, Facebook demanded that I provide a photo of myself, even though there are already some uploaded to my account! Enough is enough. Facebook itself has been (ir)responsible for more of its personal data being compromised than perhaps any single user or entity, even the Russians. It all starts with them, and its odd how security conscious they play at being when, in fact, they compromise user security and are a truly despicable bunch. The $5 billion fine they were also recently assessed is also chump change when compared to the vast amounts of advertising revenue Facebook generates.

So consider me "unplugged." Facebook is a data mining blight on the world and one that I won't be certainly participating in anymore.
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." --President George W. Bush

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:09 am

Fukuda's stuff is just flat out amazing.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:32 am

Indigo wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:18 am
So consider me "unplugged." Facebook is a data mining blight on the world and one that I won't be certainly participating in anymore.
The bad news is that you are now part of a statistic that FB can point to showing how they are "clearing out fake accounts" .. even though yours wasn't a fake account.

Facebook sucks in every way.
There's no way back
from there to here

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:21 pm

tek wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:32 am
Indigo wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:18 am
The bad news is that you are now part of a statistic that FB can point to showing how they are "clearing out fake accounts" .. even though yours wasn't a fake account.
Ha! I'll bet you are right about that.
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." --President George W. Bush

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:57 am

Motivational Quotes
Creativity has no limits because imagination has no boundaries!
Don't limit your thinking. You can go as far as your mind lets you.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:23 pm

Bored Panda
Stunning sand and gold painting technique by Tim Bengel

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:53 pm

:clap:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:06 am

If only I were 40 years younger and several inches taller, I could rock this outfit.
https://tomandlorenzo.com/2019/08/2019- ... t-fashion/
MTV-Video-Music-Awards-2019-Taylor-Swift-Lover-Red-Carpet-Fashion-Atelier-Versace-Christian-Louboutin-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:48 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-48678923
Zimbabwean Tererai Trent 'humbled' by New York statue

A Zimbabwean-born academic who taught herself to read from her brother's schoolbooks says she was shocked to learn that a life-size statue of her would be unveiled in the US.

"I'm just so humbled - it is unbelievable," Tererai Trent told BBC Focus on Africa. "Can you believe I am standing so tall in New York City?"

"We know that 3% of statues in the city are female," Ms Trent said. "My great-grand-mother, my grandmother, my mother - ha! - they would never have dreamt of something like this."

Media mogul Oprah Winfrey, actress Nicole Kidman, Olympian Gabby Douglas and author Cheryl Strayed are among the prominent women immortalised in bronze alongside Ms Trent outside New York's Rockefeller Centre.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:07 am

I, the humble nail artist, present this for your consideration.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... o-nail-art
Nailed It: Bringing Science Into Nail Art

Of all the things I love about being a girl, I love doing nail art the most. But I'm also a scientist, and scientists aren't usually associated with perfectly manicured nails. Nail art became my way of debunking some common stereotypes, including those that associate scientists with being cold or unapproachable.

I had been blogging about science for a while, but I wanted to try something new. So on October 10, 2018, I started an Instagram account (@nailsciart) where I'd use nail art to reach a very specific demographic: teenage girls. I wanted to show them the fun side of science through an art form many of them could find appealing — and that it's possible to have polished nails and work on cool science.

I pick themes according to the season. Last October, I did a Halloween series explaining what bats do for humans and the environment.

I've also done designs that illustrate my interviews with scientists for Locally Sourced Science, a radio show hosted by my local radio station in Ithaca, N.Y. When I interviewed the curator of the fungi collection at the Cornell Plant Pathology Herbarium, I stamped colorful fungi on my nails (above). Lately, I have been experimenting with drawing brain cell types such as neurons (shown below) and microglia using fine brushes. I used one of those designs to accompany an Instagram post about a story I wrote for NPR as an intern this summer, which was about detecting brain activity in seemingly unconscious patients.
Instagram pics in article. Don't know how to attach.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:50 am

https://news.artnet.com/exhibitions/sam ... ia-1634428
How to Look at a Sam Gilliam Painting: With One Eye on History and the Other on Color and Form
Dia:Beacon has added Gilliam's "Double Merge" to its permanent display.
sam-gilliam-double-merge-3-1024x710.jpeg

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:56 am

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-edi ... tworks/amp
5 Artists Using Glitter to Create Dazzling and Complex Artworks

Beyond its eye-catching quality, glitter evokes youthful craft making; refracts light to create dynamic, shifting perspectives; and straddles the line between glamour and camp. It’s no wonder that artists and curators alike are intrigued by the material. A current exhibition at the Tang Teaching Museum at Skidmore College, “Serious Sparkle,” celebrates contemporary artists who use glitter in their practice. “Glitter is often considered a ‘low’ art material, so bringing it into the space of a museum or gallery calls attention to the associations that come with it,” said Molly Channon, a curatorial assistant at the Tang.
download (8).jpeg

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:07 am

Nail arts is pretties, TRL!
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Return to “The Lounge”