All the President's Lies

Addie

Re: All the President's Lies

Post by Addie » Mon May 27, 2019 10:17 am

Associated Press: AP FACT CHECK: Trump Takes Credit for Obama's Gains for Vets

AP FACT CHECK: Trump and his Veterans Affairs secretary are claiming full credit for improvements for vets such as same-day mental health care, but those initiatives actually were put in place during the Obama administration.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 30, 2019 12:00 pm

WaPo - Greg Sargent
Mueller destroyed one of Trump’s biggest lies. Trump just helped him do it.

President Trump just admitted that Russia helped elect him president. “I had nothing to do with Russia helping me to get elected. It was a crime that didn’t exist,” Trump rage-tweeted, adding that this again shows that special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation was a “Witch Hunt Hoax.”

Trump then rushed to clarify matters. “Russia did not help me get elected,” Trump told reporters. “Russia didn’t help me at all.”

But here’s the thing: Russia did help Trump get elected. And Trump cannot make this fact disappear, even though he has spent more than two years trying.

Some will argue that Trump’s quicksilver views shouldn’t be taken seriously at any given moment. But Trump actually has spent much of his presidency suggesting the Russian attack on our political system on his behalf never happened at all (while occasionally admitting it has).

Mueller’s remarks concluding his investigation demolished this big lie with great clarity. But this has gotten lost in some of the media coverage, which has treated the argument over them as a spin war in which both sides are milking the comments for partisan purposes in equivalent fashion.

But that’s not what’s happening. In reality, Trump and Republicans are flatly falsifying what Mueller said, by widely sticking to the propagandistic lie that Mueller confirmed “no obstruction” and “no collusion.” By contrast, Democrats are mostly navigating internal disagreements over how to interpret what Mueller’s comments require of them, which has kept them far more oriented toward what he actually did say. There’s no equivalence here.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:01 am

Bloomberg
Mexico Never Agreed to Farm Deal With U.S., Contradicting Trump

Mexico never agreed to buy more U.S. farm products as part of a deal reached late Friday on border security and illegal immigration that averted the threat of U.S. tariffs, said three Mexican officials, contradicting a claim made by President Donald Trump.

Trump on Saturday told his 61 million Twitter followers in an all-caps message that Mexico had agreed to “immediately begin buying large quantities of agricultural product from our great patriot farmers.”

But the communique issued late Friday by the State Department -- the U.S.-Mexico Joint Declaration -- made no mention of agricultural trade as part of the agreement. Three Mexican officials said they were not aware of any side deal in the works.

The State Department didn’t respond to an inquiry made through its press department. The White House declined to comment or offer proof to back up Trump’s tweet. The Mexican foreign ministry’s press office declined to comment.
Adding:
ABC News: Trump claims undisclosed component to US-Mexico migrant deal, Mexico contradicts him ...

The Mexicans were also hesitant about the president's claim that Mexico agreed to a significant increase in Mexican agricultural purchases.

"I want to be quite clear - there is no agreement of any kind that has not been made known," [Foreign Minister] Ebrard said on Monday. "We do not have a specific agreement on products."
Associated Press: No sign of Trump-Mexico deal on farm goods (AP FACT CHECK) ...

There’s no evidence that Mexico agreed to “large” purchases of agricultural products from the U.S. as part of the deal to avoid tariffs. Nor did the White House provide any details to show such a deal exists.

When Mexico’s ambassador to the United States, Martha Barcena, was asked repeatedly Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation” whether there was a new agricultural deal, she referenced instead the potential impact of the separate United States-Mexico-Canada trade deal, which has yet to be approved by Congress.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:18 am

HuffPo: Trump Falsely Claims He Has Wiped Out 150% Of China’s Economy

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:56 am

Just my 0.02CHF: I think dotus is annoyed that he has not much to say the administration but presidenting. All the real work is done by the department heads and their staff. Speaking with other governments is done thru diplomats. It will be so much different than in his days at TrumpOrg where he pushed himself into every contract discussion, having the opponent on phone whenever he wished. To compensate he now invents whatever stupid idea passes his brain cells and blasts it out on Twitter. Showing off how much he is "in the loop" even when the WH needs to go and clean up after him.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:40 pm

I just think the Doctor needs to up the dosage.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:36 pm

The ADHD presidency.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:58 pm

Gregg wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:40 pm
I just think the Doctor needs to up the dosage.
Perhaps change the medication too. I recommend strychnine.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:43 pm

Think Progress
The internal poll that Donald Trump said didn’t exist was just leaked

ABC News on Friday published the results of an internal poll conducted by President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign in March, a survey that Trump himself denied even existed.

The poll found Trump trailing Joe Biden by huge margins in states he carried in 2016, including Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. In Texas, which has voted for Republican presidents by wide margins for the last 43 years, Trump holds just a two point edge against the former vice president.

The existence of the poll and its damning findings were first reported by the New York Times earlier this week. It aligns closely with several independent surveys which have consistently found Trump trailing virtually every Democratic presidential contender in head-to-head matchups, findings which Trump himself has repeatedly denied. He also suggested the very existence of internal polling was a fabrication, and when that was proven to be a lie, instructed his staff to deny the results.

“They were fake polls that were released by somebody that is — it’s ridiculous,” he told the media during a typically meandering press conference on Wednesday. “No, we are winning in every single state that we’ve polled.”

In Florida, the Trump campaign’s internal poll shows him losing to Biden by seven points. In Wisconsin, the margin is 10 points. In Pennsylvania, it’s 16. Trump won all three states in 2016, and desperately needs all of them in order to win reelection in 2020.

“They’re giving out phony polls,” Trump insisted on Wednesday. “These are polls that we have, that nobody saw. We do very little polling because I’m not a huge believer in polling…But we have some internal polling — very little — and it’s unbelievably strong. The strongest I’ve ever been is exactly today.”

Brad Parscale, Trump’s campaign manager, confirmed the authenticity of the internal poll obtained by ABC News while simultaneously arguing that the numbers in that poll are outdated.

tek

Post by tek » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 pm

So, by the 2020 general election, I will no longer be a Massachusetts resident - I'll be a Florida resident.

Ms and I will be working to put up a little more margin in FL :boxing:
There's no way back
from there to here

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:53 pm

tek wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 pm
So, by the 2020 general election, I will no longer be a Massachusetts resident - I'll be a Florida resident.

Off Topic
There's a few of us bowsers here in FL. When you make the move, let us know. We may be neighbors and we need all the boots on the ground we can get.
Goldie reports the party a success and all zombies inebriated eliminated.
ImageImageImage x4

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:44 am

tek wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 pm

I appreciate that. During Rick Scott's disastrous reign as Governor of FL, the state sponsored all manner of feel good, retire in Florida ads targeted in areas where a resounding majority of voters were rwnj Tea Party types. I think that is something even most Floridians aren't aware of.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:25 am

New Republic - David Roth
The Man Who Was Upset

Making sense of Donald Trump's petulant reign ...

At this stage in his sublimely unexamined life and increasingly evident cognitive decline, Trump isn’t really capable of very compelling misdirections or even passably convincing falsehoods. He digresses because he loses the plot, and he lies when the truth wouldn’t look good on him; he distracts himself and tells himself lies because it is the only way to square what is actually happening with what he would prefer to be happening. (In this, he is but building on the spiritual birthright bestowed on him by his dad: Fred Trump was an ardent worshipper at the Marble Collegiate Church of Norman Vincent Peale, the reactionary business prophet who distilled many failed superpower incantations of his own in his blockbuster self-help tract, The Power of Positive Thinking. Peale presided over Donald’s first wedding in 1977, and remains Trump’s most frequently cited spiritual mentor.)

Where the media has failed and continues to fail is in its insistence that Trump is doing all of this, or any of it, for the same reason that other politicians are understood to have aimed to distract or chosen to lie. When this tendency is criticized, the criticism often arrives in the form of some lamentation that the media is still covering Trump as if he were a Normal President.

That criticism is reasonable as far as it goes, which is not nearly far enough. A series of long-standing procedural and political and discursive norms really have failed the essential challenge that Trumpian politics and Trump’s own bulletproof shamelessness present. But the steepness and rapidity of their fall raises some serious questions about just how sturdy they were to begin with. The spectacle of expert analysts and thought leaders parsing the actions of a man with no expertise or capacity for analysis is the purest acid satire—but less because of how badly that expert analysis has failed than because of how sincerely misplaced it is. Trump represents an extraordinary challenge to political media precisely because there is nothing here to parse, no hidden meanings or tactical elisions or slow-rolled strategic campaign. Mainstream political media and Trump’s opponents in the Democratic Party conceive of politics as chess, a matter of feints and sacrifices and moves made so as to open the way for other moves. There’s an element of romance to this vision, which is a crucial tenet in a certain type of big-D Democratic thought and also something like the reason why anyone would need to employ a political analyst. But Trump is not playing chess. The man is playing Hungry Hungry Hippos. 

And here at last we are beginning to circle around Trump’s true superpower, and are closer to identifying the small and stubborn thing that defines him. It’s what binds his deliriously incoherent politics, and helps him thread together his wildly far-flung grievances—Trump never forgets a slight, and pursues ancient grudges against bygone New York showbiz figures with the same tireless vigor that he brings to his campaigns against his various Deep State persecutors—into a single rancid system of being. There is nothing artful or concealed about Donald Trump, which is one of the secrets of his strange success as a politician. His lies are preposterous and glaring and never anything but the obvious opposite of what is actually true; his unquestioned desires and deeply held, deeply unreasoning bigotries and petty fixations are all absolutely untouched from the 1988 Rich Guy factory settings; the sheer mass of his annihilating selfishness leaves no room for anything like subtext. Trump is nothing but what he appears to be, and his superpower comes from this. His superpower is getting upset.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:35 am

This. Thank you Addie.

Exactly this.

The media must change. A Herculean task, I know, but still they must change.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:10 pm

The media needs to use words like unhinged, delusional, incoherent, and so forth.

It's unfortunate they can't use whackjob or frootloop. Those are accurate, but ...

Deranged, destructive, and un-American also apply.

They've used misogynistic and sociopathic, but only geeks like us even know what they mean. And some of his supporters would think they were good things, if anyone took the time to explain them.

It's a fucking nightmare that this asshole was elected. Just a living fucking nightmare.

:nooo:
They say that on his deathbed, Voltaire, asked to renounce the devil, said, "This is no time to be making new enemies."

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:19 pm

1) The media need to stop repeating what he says and then talking about what he said. 2) They need cover how the country is being damaged, possibly irreparably, by the fact that the Republicans have abandoned the norms by which any country is run, including massive successful voter suppression. 3) They need to cover the fact that a significant percentage, though a minority, of the citizens in this country are buying into an authoritarian, brutal agenda.
ImageImageImage

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:23 pm

The media is definitely too kind when Trump tells an outright lie. They sugarcoat or understate the severity of the lie. They state it in a way that lets his base think there's nothing out of the ordinary with Trump's embellishments. If there's anything Fake News about our media, it's the way they gloss over Trump's lies.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:58 pm

I don't think it's kindness. Panic, uncertainty, overload, dependence on norms that have been destroyed. They have become a way for liars and con artists to amplify their lies and cons. They have to stop.
ImageImageImage

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:33 pm

Maybe they should do a week blackout. Not utter one thing he said or did .

this reality tv fucker would be so furious! He lives for TV

I am not saying don't keep track of his crimes...just black him out for a week!

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:48 pm

sad-cafe wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:33 pm

Well, FoxNews is not going to ignore him and since they are all he watches, he'd never know that all the other networks had a blackout going.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Foggy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:10 pm
The media needs to use words like unhinged, delusional, incoherent, and so forth.

It's unfortunate they can't use whackjob or frootloop. Those are accurate, but ...

Deranged, destructive, and un-American also apply.

They've used misogynistic and sociopathic, but only geeks like us even know what they mean. And some of his supporters would think they were good things, if anyone took the time to explain them.

It's a fucking nightmare that this asshole was elected. Just a living fucking nightmare.

:nooo:

I'd add phukwit, shitbird, pudknocker, fake, uniphobe, ignorant, walking proof of Dunning Krugar, dancing to music that no one else can hear and dumber than a box of hammers....and then I'd call Don Rickles for some help.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:37 pm

neonzx wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:48 pm
sad-cafe wrote:

Well, FoxNews is not going to ignore him and since they are all he watches, he'd never know that all the other networks had a blackout going.
He watches others, he just doesn't admit it very often. When his staffers try to roll out "policy," they need it covered a certain way on other networks to reach non-partisans (like it happened for previous administrations), but 10/10 times, it gets botched by the latest tweet or whatever he said out on the lawn that day that totally contradicts their intended messaging. So they can't break out of their echo chamber without looking incompetent.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:53 am

Think Progress
Trump, without proof, repeats claim that he was wiretapped during the campaign

Fox News host Sean Hannity dedicated most of his show on Wednesday night to another phone interview with President Donald Trump.

While most of the talking points were familiar to anyone who bothered to tune into Trump’s reelection kickoff speech Tuesday night or any of his other recent interviews on Fox News, Trump did let slip that he still believes his phones were wiretapped during the 2016 campaign.

Repeating his claim that intelligence agencies were “spying” on his campaign, Trump said, “We will have to find out if they were listening on my calls, that would be the ultimate. If they spied on my campaign, and they may have, it will be one of the great revelations in history of this country.”

Trump assured Hannity, who often pushes baseless conspiracy theories himself, that Attorney General William Barr was working very hard to investigate whether there was any wrongdoing during the lengthy investigations into Trump’s campaign. At no point did the conversation address the fact that six Trump campaign officials were indicted as a result of the special counsel Robert Mueller’s nearly two-year long investigation, five of whom pleaded guilty, nor did it address the many outside investigations referred by the special counsel’s office.

Two months into Trump’s administration, he declared on Twitter, without any evidence, that “Obama had my ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower just before the victory.” Former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer even suggested at the time that British intelligence may have wiretapped the Trump Tower phones at President Barack Obama’s request.

Since then, the Department of Justice has said on at least two different occasions that it has no records of such wiretapping while Trump was a candidate.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:54 pm

Turtle wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:37 pm
neonzx wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:48 pm
sad-cafe wrote:

He watches others, he just doesn't admit it very often. When his staffers try to roll out "policy," they need it covered a certain way on other networks to reach non-partisans (like it happened for previous administrations), but 10/10 times, it gets botched by the latest tweet or whatever he said out on the lawn that day that totally contradicts their intended messaging. So they can't break out of their echo chamber without looking incompetent.
An even more subtle approach is to only refer to him by his title, not his given name.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

tek

Post by tek » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:54 pm
An even more subtle approach is to only refer to him by his title, not his given name.
I like that idea.
There's no way back
from there to here

Return to “Trump Administration”