Cycling

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Cycling

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:06 am

Now that bike season is in full effect, I thought I'd start a thread here. I'm currently training to do the 2019 edition of RAW, the Ride Across Wisconsin. I did it two years ago when the route started in Dubuque, IA and ended 175 miles later in Kenosha. Longest. Day. Ever. The first 75 or 80 miles through the Driftless Area in Southwest Wisconsin was absurdly hilly. Literally the first words out of my mouth when I met Mrs. FRP at the finish line were, "I think I'd like that better if it had been 50 miles longer and a lot less hilly." Lo and behold, this year's route starts in LaCrosse and ends in Green Bay (very near home for me), which comes out to 225 miles, and is significantly less hilly.

I'm still probably going to die. Last time I did RAW, I was motivated and training all year for a week's vacation in Colorado where a buddy and I got to ride a bunch in the Breckenridge area, including the highest paved road in North America, Mount Evans. Doing RAW one month later wasn't that much more of a challenge. Alas, that trip cursed me to boredom with the roads of Wisconsin. Were it not for practical considerations like "work" and "money," I would pack up everything we own, move to Breck, and spend all of my time biking in the summer and skiing in the winter.

Anyway, feel free to post pics of your steeds and discuss upcoming exploits, etc. here. I'll start with a pic of my bike.
Sekrit Stuffs!
I ride an aluminum frame 2016 Ghost Nivolet 105 with a couple shiny extras. Wheels are Velocity Quills, which are some of the lightest aluminum wheels you can find. They're laced to Industry Nine Torch hubs. The rear hub makes a lovely angry buzz when I freewheel, which is nice for getting pedestrians and slower cyclists out of the way on local trails. I currently run a set of Continental GP 4000 S II clincher tires identical to the picture, but am expecting my local shop to get in a set of the new GP 5000 TL tubeless tires for me this week, because I am just done with pinch flats. The black and white Ghost saddle in the pic has since been replaced with a Fizik Arione Classic (a switch brought about by a heavy crash in 2017 that left me fairly scraped up and bent the rails of the original saddle). I hadn't installed it at the time of this picture, but I run a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt GPS on the stem with speed and cadence sensors. And I have a VeloInk decal on the top tube with the Wisconsin flag and a Jolly Roger, so yes, now you know my surname. For whatever that's worth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Maybenaut

Re: Cycling

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:35 am

:thumbs:

Last time I was on a bike they looked like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/XCUwu6WVqF9ie5aJ7
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:00 pm

Mine's a little simpler, but since the only hills I have to deal with are the underpasses on the Guadalupe and San Tomas river trails, one gear is enough ;) It does have a couple of nice bits - The drivetrain is EAI Gold, Sugino Messenger and Izumi NJS, with Conti Gatorshell tires and thorn resistant tubes. The streets in China were sometimes dirty, but the thorns in San Jose made me realize the folly of having light, thin tires. It's how I get to/from work, and fixing 1~2 flats a week got to be a real hassle.

wtf* was a small shop in Shanghai that specialized in fixed-gear bikes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whip

Post by Whip » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:35 am
:thumbs:

Last time I was on a bike they looked like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/XCUwu6WVqF9ie5aJ7
:lol:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:22 pm

My bike is in the gym and doesn’t go anywhere.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

DryInk

Post by DryInk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:59 am

My cycling ebbs and flows. I rode heavily from 1993-1997, participating in five Houston-to-Austin MS150s, 170 miles over 2 days. (I finished four, had the flu the first year and only finished 80 miles). My next phase was from 2010-2012, in which I rode (and finished!) six different 100 mile rides. Pictured below is my current road bike, a Specialized Transition, a "triathlon bike" that I just use for riding because I like using aero bars. Also pictured is my new Trek Marlin 5 trail bike that I bought this week. My previous mountain bike needed some costly repairs to get it trail ready, so after 1500+ miles of use (not counting the miles by the previous owner) I decided to retire it.

The current cycling phase started at the end of 2018. I hope to be in good enough shape to try the 2020 Hotter than Hell Hundred (HHH) in Wichita Falls. (I've done it twice before.)
Let's just assume I said something witty.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:16 am

Randy Randonneur checking in for duty on this thread.

Two weekends ago, my wife was kind enough to drop me off in Harper's Ferry and pick me up in DC....

My bike is a little strange. It's a discontinued Giant model which is a flat bar carbon frame hybrid. The point, however, is that the combined weight of the bike and my bag is under 50 pounds, so it is within airline weight range, and I take it just about everywhere...

And it goes from this:

To this:

It's a lousy road bike that also doubles as a shitty mountain bike!

I didn't know there was a Ride Across Wisconsin. One of my bucket list rides is the RAGBRAI (the Register's Annual Bike Ride Across Iowa).

Coming up this weekend is the American Cancer Society Bike-A-Thon from Philadelphia to Atlantic City (65 or 100 miles optional detour). They are closing the Ben Franklin Bridge out of Philly just for us, and we also get an entire lane of the Atlantic City Expressway and a chunk of the boardwalk for the finish line.

The big one coming up is the Pan-Mass Challenge in August. I'll be doing two days and 175 miles from Wellesley to Provincetown. It's the largest cycling fundraising event, and last year raised over $50 million for patient treatment and research programs at the Dana Farber Cancer Center.
Thanks pal.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 am

Somerset wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:00 pm
Mine's a little simpler
Is there no rear brake?
Thanks pal.

tek

Post by tek » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:54 am

Coaster brake?
There's no way back
from there to here

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 am
Somerset wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:00 pm
Mine's a little simpler
Is there no rear brake?
No rear brake, and no coaster brake. It's a fixie (no freewheel), so backpeddaling is one way to slow down and stop. Me, I rely on a trustworthy front brake most of the time, with occasional backpeddaling when I feel like it.

Hard-core fixie riders insist on no brakes other than backpeddaling and locking up the rear wheel by bunny-hopping (toe straps recommended, and rear tires don't last long). Hard-core fixie riders are also known to frequent the local ER. I am not a hard-core fixie rider ;)

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:15 pm

Somerset wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:50 pm
Hard-core fixie riders insist on no brakes other than backpeddaling and locking up the rear wheel b
I've seen videos of that, and how one avoids tearing the bejeezus out of one's ankles and knees that way is a mystery.

In the videos, though, they never crash, so it must be extremely safe.
Thanks pal.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:57 pm

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:15 pm
Somerset wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:50 pm
Hard-core fixie riders insist on no brakes other than backpeddaling and locking up the rear wheel
In the videos, though, they never crash, so it must be extremely safe.
So safe that helmets are optional ;)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 am

Can i use this thread to rant about cyclists who don't obey the rules of the road?

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:28 am

Chilidog wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 am
Can i use this thread to rant about cyclists who don't obey the rules of the road?
No. But please tell us about the last time a cyclist threw something at you while you were driving or gratuitously threatened to kill you. Also let us know how many cyclists pass you while texting on their their cell phones.

Since open carry is legal just about anywhere in my state, I was considering getting one of these a while back:

Although once I found that by merely soldering a ball bearing to the bottom of my steel canteen that I could easily break car windows, I've stuck with that.

I'm willing to bet I could probably crack a skull with it, but during both of the opportunities I had to find out, the volunteer changed his mind.

Pro-tip: If you've been sitting in an upholstered seat for a while, it's not a good time to decide to make a move on someone with more adrenaline and a higher heart rate than you.
Thanks pal.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:29 am

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:28 am
Chilidog wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 am
No. But please tell us about the last time a cyclist threw something at you while you were driving or gratuitously threatened to kill you. Also let us know how many cyclists pass you while texting on their their cell phones.
No?

:50caliber:

An entitled attitude like yours is why people in cars get angry at cyclists.

I ride a bike, drive a car, and am a pedestrian throughout the city of Chicago.

1) I have never had anything thrown at me while on a bike. Nor have I ever witnessed that happening. I'm sure it does happen on occasion, but it's rare in my opinion.

2) I will readily admit to yelling insults at cyclist while driving my car. Why? BECAUSE THEY JUST BLEW THROUGH A STOP SIGN FORCING ME TO SLAM ON MY BRAKES!!! being on a bike is not an excuse to violating the law.

3) I will also ALWAYS yell at cyclists who ride on the sidewalk in the city. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW and I'm in no mood to dodge bikes while walking down the street. I've have that happen at least once a month.

If you are not comfortable using the well marked bike lanes, then call Über.

PRO TIP:
Don't threaten me. You are not entitled to special treatment because you are on a bike. Courtesy goes both ways, and clearly, you are one of the jerk cyclists that winds up giving everyone else a bad name.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:29 am

3) I will also ALWAYS yell at cyclists who ride on the sidewalk in the city. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW and I'm in no mood to dodge bikes while walking down the street. I've have that happen at least once a month.

If you are not comfortable using the well marked bike lanes, then call Über.
I prefer Lyft, thank you ;)

As for sidewalks, I always ride in bike lanes when they're there. But when they're not, and when riding in city traffic is taking my life into my hands, I'll opt for the sidewalk. Fortunately, that's legal here.

Who'd of thought a thread on cycling would be divisive :boxing:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Chicago has a fairly extensive network of bike lanes and paths.

http://chicagocompletestreets.org/streets/bikeways/

Bikes on sidewalks is explicitly prohibited in the downtown buisness district.

tek

Post by tek » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:02 pm

Jef the Cyclist is always fun :blink:
d-1.jpg
(I'm also an active cyclist)
There's no way back
from there to here

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:08 pm

Cursed as I am, I see both sides to this argument. Many's the time I have had to inform ignorant motorists that, no, actually I can't "just ride on the sidewalk," because that's against the law where I live also. And I have really very little patient for cyclists who do ride there.

That being said, there is a tremendous disparity between the motorist and the cyclist (you're behind the wheel of a 1000+ pound metal box - it is literally impossible for anything I do on my bike to hurt you unless I am strapped per Res Ipsa's suggestion), so I am also rather disinterested in the "cyclists don't obey the rules" complaint from motorists, with some caveats.

1) I'll admit I don't live in a major metro area, and I have noticed when I have visited places like the Loop in Chicago and basically all of Manhattan that cyclists there seem more willing to actually take their lives in their own hands.

2) Look at the statistics. If you are motorist and you strike and kill a cyclist, the chance of you facing any legal consequence (meaning so much as a traffic ticket) nationwide is about 50%. Just last year, I observed a wrongful death trial involving a father of two children who was struck by a motorist passing another vehicle on a two lane road and came over the fog line - meaning the cyclist literally had nowhere to go. The collision took place at 4 PM on a bright, sunny day in August. Not only had the local prosecutor's office declined to press any charges whatsoever, but the jury in the civil case awarded the deceased's family only token damages and found the dead cyclist (who, again, had nowhere to go) 40% negligent in causing his own death. Why? Because although he was wearing a helmet, the jury apparently felt he wasn't wearing enough high-visibility clothing. On a sunny summer afternoon. This is how cyclists are treated by the legal system every single day. So, respectfully, the anxieties of motorists aren't of much concern to me. You can literally get away with murder if you are driving a car and hit a cyclist. I'm pretty sure you're not the one who should be constantly afraid.

3) In my personal opinion, the "cyclists don't obey the rules" complaint has more to do with cultural dislike than anything substantive. Upon what do I base this opinion? I'll admit, it's anecdotal. But I'm pretty sure I'm on to something when I suggest that it's a cultural grievance, based upon the number of times idiots in cars roll down their windows to shout at me. For some reason, their comment is never "you really ought to be more careful," or something like that. It's always some variation on "get off the road, you spandex-wearing faggot." Or guys driving big diesel trucks rolling coal on me with no provocation whatsoever. I can only conclude that some people are just that triggered by my choice of hobby.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

tek

Post by tek » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:33 pm

From a local perspective:

Here in the Happy Valley most motorists (not students or parents of students) are appropriately deferential to bicyclists, and bicyclists to motorists.. The local PD is pretty good at readjusting both motorists and bicyclists who don't know what they are doing.

One of the things I learned in my younger days as a serious cyclist, and which I'm sure motorists don't understand, is that when you are on a bicycle and you are taking a left turn, you need to be at the left edge of the lane. Motorists do not deal with this well, but it comes from the fact that bicycles and cars follow the same rules.

I do not understand why driver's tests (apparently) don't test the fact that bicycles and cars are equals.

Then again, in today's world, "I'm sittin' in 4500lb of steel and stuff, and you're maybe 250lb of plasma and aluminum?" maybe is the way people think.:(
There's no way back
from there to here

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:45 pm

tek wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:33 pm
From a local perspective:

Here in the Happy Valley most motorists (not students or parents of students) are appropriately deferential to bicyclists, and bicyclists to motorists.. The local PD is pretty good at readjusting both motorists and bicyclists who don't know what they are doing.

One of the things I learned in my younger days as a serious cyclist, and which I'm sure motorists don't understand, is that when you are on a bicycle and you are taking a left turn, you need to be at the left edge of the lane. Motorists do not deal with this well, but it comes from the fact that bicycles and cars follow the same rules.

I do not understand why driver's tests (apparently) don't test the fact that bicycles and cars are equals.

Then again, in today's world, "I'm sittin' in 4500lb of steel and stuff, and you're maybe 250lb of plasma and aluminum?" maybe is the way people think.:(
Hell man, people can't even figure out how to make a correct left turn across the neutral ground or go through a round about. What makes you think they'll figure out the bicycle/vehicle thing?

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:54 pm

I have an exclusively urban pedestrian perspective. (I had to look up fog line, never heard of it before. That’s what defines the breakdown lane on more rural roads, right?) in my experience, the “cyclists don’t follow rules” thing comes from bike messengers and hotshots weaving around cars and going through pedestrian crossings ignoring lights.

Pedestrians aren’t completely innocent either. I’ve crossed bike paths and completely missed seeing the bike that was bearing down on me. We jaywalk. We walk on all sides of shared bike/hike paths. Bike/pedestrian interactions are more personal though. It’s easier to yell at each other when there’s no metal and glass separating you and the vehicle is out of range is seconds.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:07 am

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:28 am
Also let us know how many cyclists pass you while texting on their their cell phones.
I was walking on the North Raleigh Greenway like I do. A bicyclist passed me who was texting on his cell phone. He was not wearing a helmet. Only his elbows were in contact with the handlebars. He was not looking where he was going, he was focused on the phone. If anything had happened, his best option would have been to drop the phone on the asphalt and try to grab the handlebars. :roll:

I see an enormous number of grownups who bicycle at top speeds with no helmet. :-
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Return to “The Lounge”