ART: I know it when I see it

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: ART: I know it when I see it

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:48 am

That is a moving piece. The woman's expression is so vivid. I felt the warmth of his hands through her gloves. It reminds me of the second proposal scene in "Pride and Prejudice" .
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:51 am

Takashi Nagoya born 1978 Japan.
DuMhOu0XgAExcgt.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

EastStander

Post by EastStander » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks TRL. That is beautiful, yet it took me a while before I noticed the little bird. Having a Japanese daughter in law, I am currently very into this kind of art. It led me on to an appreciation of the Ukiyo-e woodblock prints of the 18th and 19th centuries. Hokusai's 'The Great Wave off Kanagawa' of course is one of the most famous examples.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:05 pm

EastStander wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:47 am
Thanks TRL. That is beautiful, yet it took me a while before I noticed the little bird. Having a Japanese daughter in law, I am currently very into this kind of art. It led me on to an appreciation of the Ukiyo-e woodblock prints of the 18th and 19th centuries. Hokusai's 'The Great Wave off Kanagawa' of course is one of the most famous examples.
My youngest son and I love the "Great Wave". He pointed out the boats to me. For years I never saw those. I was focused on the wave height and the fear it inspired.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:08 pm

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/12 ... hysicists/
ON THE SECOND DAY OF CHRISTMAS —
Study: modern masters like Jackson Pollock were “intuitive physicists”

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:57 pm

https://thebjps.typepad.com/my-blog/201 ... ience.html
Aesthetics in Science | Milena Ivanova

Some philosophers claim that the aesthetic language used by scientists is reducible to, or a manifestation of, the empirical adequacy of a theory. On this account, when a scientist is attributing aesthetic value to a theory, they are simply using a different language to say that the theory is empirically adequate. This account makes it difficult to justify why aesthetic values play an evidential role and are often taken to be predictors or indicators of empirical success, or even truth, in the absence of supporting evidence. String theorists, for example, often appeal to aesthetic considerations in defence of the theory in the absence of any empirical support.

Aesthetic considerations can guide theory choice in situations of under-determination of theory by the data, leading to the adoption of one empirically adequate theory over another. Ernst Mach’s principle of ‘economy of thought’, for example, is one such methodological application of simplicity as a heuristic guide to empirically adequate theories. Beauty is also often taken to stand in a special epistemic link to truth. Many scientists argue that a beautiful theory is more likely to be true. Paul Dirac famously defended beauty’s special epistemic role, claiming that ‘one has a great confidence in the theory arising from its great beauty, quite independent of its detailed successes’. Such ideas are present in contemporary science as much as they were part of debates in the early twentieth century, but how can such a link between beauty and truth be justified?
:snippity:
It remains fascinating that so many contemporary scientists are driven by aesthetic factors and so many of them claim that the aesthetic values that drive them have timeless, objective validity. While scientists can also be sceptical towards the objective validity of aesthetic judgements, we see these judgements persistently employed in practical reasoning. Although it is doubtful that any link between beauty and truth can be justified, or even that aesthetic values are indicative of empirical success, it is interesting why we value beautiful explanations and actively search for symmetry, simplicity, and unity in nature and in our representations of the world.
beauty.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:14 am

Arts, Artists, Artwork
February 8 at 6:22 AM
Artwork (sculpture) by Thomas Deininger

Instagram @tdeininger
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:03 am

I still haven't taken the time to learn how to post a photo, but I thought this was very moving.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... nous-women
Thirty-five red dresses hung on winter-bare trees that lined the Riverwalk along the National Museum of the American Indian. A woman pushing a stroller stopped to watch the garments twist in the wind, staring at the smallest dress in the collection, which would fit a little girl.

The REDress Project is a haunting outdoor art installation in Washington DC by Canadian artist Jaime Black meant to represent the epidemic of violence against indigenous women and girls.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:46 am

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/ ... ction.html
NASA Captures First Air-to-Air Images of Supersonic Shockwave Interaction in Flight

In order to capture these images, the King Air, flying a pattern around 30,000 feet, had to arrive in a precise position as the pair of T-38s passed at supersonic speeds approximately 2,000 feet below. Meanwhile, the cameras, able to record for a total of three seconds, had to begin recording at the exact moment the supersonic T-38s came into frame.

“The biggest challenge was trying to get the timing correct to make sure we could get these images,” said Heather Maliska, AirBOS sub-project manager. “I’m absolutely happy with how the team was able to pull this off. Our operations team has done this type of maneuver before. They know how to get the maneuver lined up, and our NASA pilots and the Air Force pilots did a great job being where they needed to be.”

“They were rock stars.”

The data from the AirBOS flights will continue to undergo analysis, helping NASA refine the techniques for these tests to improve data further, with future flights potentially taking place at higher altitudes. These efforts will help advance knowledge of the characteristics of shockwaves as NASA progresses toward quiet supersonic research flights with the X-59, and closer toward a major milestone in aviation.
f4_p4_red_planedrop.jpg

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:47 pm

Street Artist JR Ends Mexico Border Installation with Picnic on Both Sides

https://mymodernmet.com/jr-street-art-u ... 5QKSGYJoYA

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:22 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:03 am
I still haven't taken the time to learn how to post a photo, but I thought this was very moving.
► Show Spoiler

post photos tip. I don't do "attachments".
► Show Spoiler

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:36 pm

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Off Topic
Thanks for the tip, Dolly. Lani gave me directions when we met up last summer, but I lost the piece of paper. :oops:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:02 pm

This guy is not only a fabulous artist, he's also very personable. Every bit of his work is made from old denim jeans. I can't get enough of his work.

http://www.ianberry.org/

Make sure to click through on all the pieces and the close-ups of the work. It has been years since my husband and I have exchanged gifts for anything but I asked him for a copy of the book. Come to think of it, the last time I asked for a gift it was also an art book. Watercolors by Wyatt Waters that time.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:20 pm

Wow! Those are great :thumbs:
Birfers are toast

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:28 pm

Baytown Library

@baytownlibrary
Follow Follow @baytownlibrary
More
Have you seen our newest addition to the Baytown art scene? #iheartbaytown
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 02, 2019 9:53 am

Clothing as art.

I choose Eva Longoria's "almost dress" or "barely dress" and Saweetie's glitter Mandarin dress. There are other fabulous fabrics though.

https://www.billboard.com/photos/850954 ... rpet-bbmas

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Thu May 02, 2019 10:25 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:02 pm
This guy is not only a fabulous artist, he's also very personable. Every bit of his work is made from old denim jeans. I can't get enough of his work.

Incredible! Thanks so much for the tip, I had not heard of him before.
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." --President George W. Bush

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu May 02, 2019 11:13 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:02 pm

Make sure to click through on all the pieces and the close-ups of the work. It has been years since my husband and I have exchanged gifts for anything but I asked him for a copy of the book. Come to think of it, the last time I asked for a gift it was also an art book. Watercolors by Wyatt Waters that time.
His art is just incredible.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu May 02, 2019 12:14 pm

Dutch Artists Paint Giant Bookcase On An Apartment Building Featuring Residents’ Favorite Books

While many street artists choose abandoned buildings and old train tracks as the canvases for their explosive masterpieces, Dutch street artist Jan Is De Man chooses to go another route – by realizing lively works for local communities who want to connect. His aim is to create projects ‘where everyone can identify themselves’ by asking for the involvement of the residents’ who commission him. Jan Is De Man’s most recent gift to a neighborhood – a whimsical tri-level trompe l’oeil mural bookcase on an apartment building in Utrecht, Netherlands. The artist was aided by fellow street artist Deef Feed who, he told Bored Panda, had worked on a few other murals with him and is the co-owner of their tattoo shop “Blackbook Tattoos” in the center of Utrecht. <SNIP>
more photos at the link. Also links to the artists' website / facebook.

https://www.boredpanda.com/street-art-u ... odNLWtTAR0

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 02, 2019 3:45 pm

COOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Thu May 02, 2019 6:21 pm

I guess this is as good a place to post this as any (I do love Monet's paintings).

The Denver Art Museum will have an exhibition of 125 Claude Monet paintings from October 21, 2019 through February 2, 2020. This isn't meant to be be a replacement for the meetup earlier in October. Denver will be the only U.S. venue for the exhibit.

For exhibit and ticket information: Claude Monet The Truth of Nature

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu May 02, 2019 6:32 pm

The Denver art museum is one of the best even without a Monet exhibit.
Image Image Image Image Image

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Thu May 02, 2019 6:45 pm

The Monet exhibition will be in the Hamilton Building. It is named after Frederic C. Hamilton who headed the fundraising drive for the $110 million building. In 2014, he bequeathed 22 impressionist paintings to DAM, four of which are by Monet.

The building's odd shape is said to create equilibrium problems for some people.

Hamilton Building - Denver Art Museum

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu May 02, 2019 6:48 pm

Mr. Gneiss wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:45 pm
The Monet exhibition will be in the Hamilton Building. It is named after Frederic C. Hamilton who headed the fundraising drive for the $110 million building. In 2014, he bequeathed 22 impressionist paintings to DAM, four of which are by Monet.

The building's odd shape is said to create equilibrium problems for some people.

Hamilton Building - Denver Art Museum
Good art often throws people off balance.

Return to “The Lounge”