Hijack this thread

Maybenaut

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Tabitha King wrote:I’m seventy. I thought I would give you permission, if “OfTabitha” predeceases me, to title my obituary, Relick of Stephen King.
In the meantime, you might consider the unconscious condescension in your style book, and give women their names.
Or just, you know, do a little research.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Correction: People-Stephen King-Genealogical Research story

By ASSOCIATED PRESS |
PUBLISHED: February 28, 2019 at 9:42 pm | UPDATED: February 28, 2019 at 9:44 pm

BOSTON (AP) — In headlines for a story Feb. 26 about a grant from the Stephen and Tabitha King Foundation, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the grant came from Stephen King himself. A subsequent headline on the same story also improperly referred to novelist Tabitha King simply as Stephen King’s wife.

A corrected version of the story is below:

Stephen and Tabitha King give $1.25M to genealogical society

Novelists Stephen and Tabitha King have donated $1.25 million to the nation’s oldest and largest genealogical society.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02/28 ... anization/

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:21 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:19 pm
Correction: People-Stephen King-Genealogical Research story

By ASSOCIATED PRESS |
PUBLISHED: February 28, 2019 at 9:42 pm | UPDATED: February 28, 2019 at 9:44 pm

BOSTON (AP) — In headlines for a story Feb. 26 about a grant from the Stephen and Tabitha King Foundation, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the grant came from Stephen King himself. A subsequent headline on the same story also improperly referred to novelist Tabitha King simply as Stephen King’s wife.

A corrected version of the story is below:

Stephen and Tabitha King give $1.25M to genealogical society

Novelists Stephen and Tabitha King have donated $1.25 million to the nation’s oldest and largest genealogical society.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02/28 ... anization/
They still can't get it correct:
Tags: Stephen King
Apparently Tabitha King isn't important enough to merit her own tag.

Edit to add: oh, and the photo accompanying the 'correction' shows only Stephen King. :brickwallsmall:

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:35 pm

Right wings attempt at humor https://www.facebook.com/libcards/

Libcards based on outdated right wing memes.

The best part is the comments and people destroying the host of the page who responds to almost every comment.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:50 pm

In the age of the internet - when dad is at work and you want to view the kids tv program

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:23 am

I just found this interesting -

Apple holders vote down proposal to disclose ideology of director nominees
Apple Inc shareholders on Friday defeated a shareholder proposal from a conservative group that would have required the company to disclose the “ideological perspective” of nominees for its board of directors.

The proposal, placed on the shareholder ballot by the National Center for Public Policy Research, received only 1.7 percent of votes at the iPhone maker’s annual meeting in Cupertino, Calif.

The organization describes itself as a communications and research foundation supporting strong national defense and free market solutions.

Arguments were made both in favor of the proposal and against it in the Steve Jobs Theater, where the meeting is being held. Shareholder advisory firms Glass Lewis and Institutional Shareholder Services both recommended shareholders vote against it.
That's the entire article. I made a link to the organization which made this proposal. It's not the first time they've added a proposal to Apple's yearly shareholders' meeting. The previous proposal, to force Apple to "disclose the costs of its sustainability programs" was also soundly defeated.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:40 am

:shock:

In today's Houston Chronicle.
20190304_093425.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:55 pm

Now that would keep me from ever making a purchase from this company. But I guess it's based on location, location, location.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:08 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

tek

Post by tek » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:47 pm

grrr clients.

Panic-laced call this afternoon:
"We need you to build us a new install stick with all this new stuff, including some random shit you've never seen and that might not work, and we need it by noon tomorrow. We are having 49 racks built Wednesday so it better all work."

They have been dorking around with this crap for at least a month, but only once asked for any advice about how they might handle these things. Did not like the advice. Such advice might have made things go much more smoothly.

This is a client that fights tooth and nail about my rate.

When I first got into the consulting business, a wise friend told me about the concept of "asshole tax" .. about to be applied once again.
There's no way back
from there to here

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:52 pm

tek wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:47 pm
grrr clients.

"We need you to build us a new install stick with all this new stuff, including some random shit you've never seen and that might not work, and we need it by noon tomorrow. We are having 49 racks built Wednesday so it better all work."

They have been dorking around with this crap for at least a month, but only once asked for any advice about how they might handle these things. Did not like the advice. Such advice might have made things go much more smoothly.

This is a client that fights tooth and nail about my rate.

When I first got into the consulting business, a wise friend told me about the concept of "asshole tax" .. about to be applied once again.
Some Darwinian survival skills without the evolutionary aspect in this class of clients :lol:

My story will be written in the section "Today In History - 50 years ago" :crying: :blackeye:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:59 am

Today is my dad's 91st birthday.

Tomorrow me'n ol' Wifehorn (and No. 1 son) are going to Myrtle Beach for a few days. I'll be scouting locations for the Meetup, swimming in the indoor pools, and eating small quantities of excellent noms. :blink:

Wrong time of year to go to Myrtle - the beach is practically unusable - but this is No. 1's spring break, so off we go. :doh:
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:19 am

tek wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:47 pm
grrr clients.

:snip:
Been there. They shop around for the best price, choose a group, hate their work, and then want me to play janitor. It's a necessary exercise for customers. It proves to the red ties they were correct to have just selected my bid in the first place rather than shop around. But, people have to go through the pain.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 am

Bill_G wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:19 am
Been there. They shop around for the best price, choose a group, hate their work, and then want me to play janitor. It's a necessary exercise for customers. It proves to the red ties they were correct to have just selected my bid in the first place rather than shop around. But, people have to go through the pain.
Been there too. One of our sister agencies found that they could buy a radio for $5.00 less than we charged them. So they bought two dozen. Only problem is those radios weren't programmed. Our price included programming. Guess who ended up paying more in the long run?
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:43 am

ZekeB wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 am

Been there too. One of our sister agencies found that they could buy a radio for $5.00 less than we charged them. So they bought two dozen. Only problem is those radios weren't programmed. Our price included programming. Guess who ended up paying more in the long run?
Those are what I call fee-for-task bids. Sometimes they are spec'd that way by the requestor, and sometimes it's in the fine print of the respondent. It's a "clever" way to reduce your bid price if it is spelled out in your proposal, but often, it is not. It's a great way to you get dropped from the qualified bidders list.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:11 am

ZekeB wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 am
Bill_G wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:19 am
Oh, lord. Years ago our admin had a contract with a local guy for our office pcs. He built them himself. Never bothered to ask what we did with them/what we needed, just built and billed. So we were thrilled when we got our first set of desktop pcs with CD drives. Except we couldn't get them to work. Because the brand of drive he installed had no drivers for the version of Windows he installed (NT), and the drive manufacturer made it plain that they never would write the drivers.

So we got to work through another five year replacement cycle with pcs that had non-functional CD drives.

After a bunch of reorganization and people leaving, the new admin dumped that supplier and went with Dell. Still have issues, but at least nothing as ridiculous as billing us for nonfunctional hardware.
I've heard this bull before.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:20 am

Non-functional CD drives?

Hay, at least you could use them for a cup holder!

:whisper: Note that the article is from 2002.
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:33 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:50 pm
In the age of the internet - when dad is at work and you want to view the kids tv program

:rotflmao: :thumbs:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:16 am

:rotflmao:

Kids these days!

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:55 am

Problem was their buyer didn’t know what he was buying. You don’t just walk into Wal Mart, so to speak, and buy a commercially licensed UHF radio and expect it to work off the shelf. We charged them $5 each to program those radios plus a $99 administrative fee. We did them a favor.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:02 pm

Foggy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:59 am
Today is my dad's 91st birthday.

Tomorrow me'n ol' Wifehorn (and No. 1 son) are going to Myrtle Beach for a few days. I'll be scouting locations for the Meetup, swimming in the indoor pools, and eating small quantities of excellent noms. :blink:

Wrong time of year to go to Myrtle - the beach is practically unusable - but this is No. 1's spring break, so off we go. :doh:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!!!!!!
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:43 pm

More lawmakers press for answers on first lady’s $850M ThriveNYC program
Updated 10:27 PM; Posted Mar 4, 4:50 PM
By Sydney Kashiwagi | skashiwagi@siadvance.com

CITY HALL -- More lawmakers want to know how the $850 million mental health initiative overseen by First Lady Chirlane McCray is managed.

Last week, Comptroller Scott Stringer vowed to hold the first lady’s mental health initiative accountable and investigate its finances.

“I’ve had concerns about the lack of transparency in the Thrive program. This morning I sent a letter to Mayor de Blasio asking for a trove of information raising concerns about the program and whether, in fact, we are seeing results for the $850 million,” the New York Post reported Stringer saying at a press conference Friday.

On Monday, Island Councilman Joe Borelli (R-South Shore) joined the ranks of public officials demanding an accounting of how Thrive’s funding is spent.

Borelli wrote to City Hall asking for Thrive’s performance over the last four years since the program was created in 2015 and for performance data.

“We have just learned that the annual budget for Thrive has increased to $250 million; for perspective, $250 million is the same amount New York City allocated for [the New York City Housing Authority’s] capital needs in fiscal year 2019,” Borelli said. “It’s critically important for all city initiatives to maintain a level of transparency which allows the public to have oversight and allay concerns about government waste especially with tremendous sums.”

https://www.silive.com/news/2019/03/mor ... ogram.html
The mentioned New York Post article
De Blasio and ‘co-mayor’ wife have wasted $1.8B of taxpayer money
By Bob McManus February 28, 2019 | 8:06pm | Updated

Well, Bill de Blasio for sure.

But also mayoral spouse Chirlane McCray, who has just been revealed as a world-class boondoggler in her own right.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/28/de-blasio ... yer-money/

tek

Post by tek » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:02 pm

ah, life in the world of multicore/multithread..
sync.jpg
(I do not know why he carries a baguette. But that sounds like a good idea.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:01 pm

:rotflmao: :thumbs:

BruceHollandRogers

Post by BruceHollandRogers » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:39 am

tek wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:02 pm
(I do not know why he carries a baguette. But that sounds like a good idea.)

Qui a besoin d'une raison d'apporter une baguette? Le petit déjeuner suffit comme raison!

(Where's the appropriate smiley to go with this? The one wearing a beret?)

Return to “The Lounge”