Jobs

DejaMoo

Re: Jobs

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Jumping up and down while crossing all of my bodily extremities for you, Jez! You deserve this!
I've heard this bull before.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:55 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:44 pm
Jumping up and down while crossing all of my bodily extremities ...
We all loves Jez, but you be careful. Ol' Wifehorn would say, that sounds like a recipe waiting to happen!

:whisper: Ol' Wifehorn is the inventor of the scrambled cliché.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:48 pm

In the theater it's bad luck to say "Good luck". So you say, "Break a leg!". BAL, Jez! Visualize yourself getting the job as often as you can before the interview. It works.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:56 am

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:58 pm

neonzx wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:56 am
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlbh7Ymy1U
Dotus says on WH greens (not the golfing sort) "I told the CEO to get jobs back into Ohio asap or else..."

:brickwallsmall: Everyone is laughing over this "threat" as he has done nothing much but to start a trade war that will hurt car makers, not bringing back jobs. At least not until it's clear where "green" cars and electric engines will get a head start. :brickwallsmall:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:02 pm

The trade war won't hurt car makers at all. Just ask Thump. He knows everything. Just ask him. Now jobs, that might be a another story.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Didn't get the job. Oh well, it was kind of a long shot anyway. My pay range was quite a bit above what they wanted to pay. Guess I keep looking. :)
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Sorry Jez. :towel:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Bloomberg
Blue Collar Worker Shortage Turns U.S. Labor Market on Its Head

A surprise shortage of blue collar workers is changing the contours of the U.S. labor market, boosting their pay, narrowing wage inequality and drawing more women into those jobs.

The shortfall is being driven by a shrinking supply of manual and low-pay service workers as the labor force becomes more educated and less willing to take on such jobs, according to a new Conference Board study.

“The divergence between blue collar and white collar supply is going to persist and even become bigger through 2030,” Gad Levanon, chief economist for North America at the New York-based research group and one of the authors of the report, said in an interview.

That is likely to keep upward pressure on labor costs in such industries as construction, transportation and accommodation and food services. It also has implications for inflation and for the Federal Reserve as Chairman Jerome Powell and his colleagues try to sustain the 9-1/2-year-old expansion without overheating the economy. Unemployment at 3.7 percent is the lowest since 1969 and running well below Fed estimates for its long-run sustainable rate. ...

Tighter restrictions on immigration are also playing a role and will continue to do so in the future, said Moody’s Analytics Inc.’s Chief Economist Mark Zandi. Many of those foreign workers are lower-skilled and in industries such as construction and farming.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:27 pm

ABC News

Verified account

@ABC
38m38 minutes ago
More
School districts throughout the U.S. are struggling to find school bus drivers, a challenge that has worsened with low unemployment and a strong economy. https://abcn.ws/2CuLTND
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:14 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:27 pm
ABC News

Verified account

@ABC
38m38 minutes ago
More
School districts throughout the U.S. are struggling to find school bus drivers at a price they're willing to pay, a challenge that has worsened with low unemployment and a strong economy. https://abcn.ws/2CuLTND
FIFY

Every job could probably be filled if you're willing to pay what people are willing to do the job for. Unfortunately, businesses can't always afford to pay that.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:27 pm

In my state, depending on the county, school bus drivers earn an average of $15.5-$18k/year. -- it's, at best, a supplemental form of income and you need another source to make ends meet. Plus, putting up with rowdy, obnoxious kids, passing a background check and having clean driving record. Plus, no work over summer break.
They probably deserve more since we entrust them with our most precious cargo.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Aaron Rupar

Verified account

@atrupar
Following Following @atrupar
More
STOP THE PRESSES: Tucker has the biggest scoop of the industrial revolution

:lol:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:31 am

Foreign labor limits likely to leave seasonal American businesses in the lurch — again
Unprecedented demand — nearly 100,000 requests for 33,000 available visas — briefly crashed the online Department of Labor application system.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... d_nn_tw_ma
She first started working for her family's small business, Lindy's Seafood, at age 12. She watched it blossom into a regional staple in the crab town of Fishing Creek, Maryland, before taking it over. But for the second year in a row, companies like hers that rely on temporary foreign labor are poised to take a hard hit, or possibly close altogether.

“I'm second-generation and, at this point, it’s hard to think that maybe I can’t do this anymore, but that's essentially where we are," Vincent, 31, told NBC News. "We're in a worse position than we were last year.”

The Trump administration is once again planning to use a lottery system to dole out 33,000 H-2B visas — the government program that allows businesses like Lindy's Seafood to hire those temporary foreign workers — this spring, rather than the first-come, first-serve model used under previous administrations. Businesses strained by the change last year will find themselves competing against record demand this year, according to the Department of Labor statistics. Compounding the problem, experts said, is that Congress is no closer to reforming the program than it has been since it was enacted it in 1990, despite pleas from seasonal businesses and their associations to act.

“Last year, we lost six months of sales, business and income," Vincent said. "To have to go through that again this year, it's just a matter of how long can you work two months a year before you fold?”
This is why the soft shell crabs at The Modern Snack Bar on the North Fork have become so expensive. :madguy:

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:30 pm

neonzx wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:27 pm
In my state, depending on the county, school bus drivers earn an average of $15.5-$18k/year. -- it's, at best, a supplemental form of income and you need another source to make ends meet. Plus, putting up with rowdy, obnoxious kids, passing a background check and having clean driving record. Plus, no work over summer break.
They probably deserve more since we entrust them with our most precious cargo.
I used to babysit the child of longtime family friends, who later drove a school bus in Ft. Collins CO while she and her husband tried to make their brewery a going concern*. I remember her harrowing tales of driving in winter on the mountain roads, and being so aware of who her passengers were. She hugged each and every one as they got off the bus on the worst winter days.

* New Belgium
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:31 am
Foreign labor limits likely to leave seasonal American businesses in the lurch — again
Unprecedented demand — nearly 100,000 requests for 33,000 available visas — briefly crashed the online Department of Labor application system.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... in-n957606

:snippity:
This is why the soft shell crabs at The Modern Snack Bar on the North Fork have become so expensive. :madguy:
[/quote]

Why the exitement over this? There is a yuuuge crisis on the southern border :!: :twisted:

:sarcasm:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:43 pm

This shows how many jobs DJT would create when forcing smartphone manufacturing back to the US.

(Samsung factory in S.Korea)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:00 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:43 pm
This shows how many jobs DJT would create when forcing smartphone manufacturing back to the US.

(Samsung factory in S.Korea)

Galaxy 10? Note 9? We are out of date! :eek2:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:41 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:48 pm
Foxconn does not have a good reputation as an employer. Neither does it have a good record of following through on promised plants.

Foxconn invests in Wisconsin: Workers 'should be wary'

Foxconn announces new factory in Wisconsin in much-needed win for Trump and Scott Walker
Indeed.
Steve Kopack

Verified account

@SteveKopack
Follow Follow @SteveKopack
More
Foxconn promised to hire 13,000 workers at its Wisconsin plant in the works and that was announced at the White House, with 5,200 hired by 2020. But now, as it reconsiders making LCD panels at that plant, it may barely have 1,000 in place by 2020.

“Rather than a focus on LCD manufacturing, Foxconn wants to create a ‘technology hub’ in Wisconsin that would largely consist of research facilities along with packaging and assembly operations” — there may be some production, though, but only for highly specialized products.

In an interview with Reuters, an aide to Foxconn’s CEO said it was still evaluating options for Wisconsin, but noting the steep cost of making TV screens in the US, said:
“In terms of TV, we have no place in the U.S. We can’t compete.”

Foxconn’s CEO will meet with new Wisconsin governor soon to modify the agreement with the state. Foxconn was set to receive $4B in various incentives, secured by the previous Wisconsin gov. Meanwhile, Trump has used this plan as proof that manufacturing was coming back to the US.

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:49 am

There is a 95% chance (nothing is ever 100%) that I will have a full time permanent position at the place I'm currently contracting. They have requisitioned a position for me, all I have to do is apply/submit my resume through the normal channels. Scott (my boss) has said they will be looking for my resume.

Only problem is some idiot in HR set the job posting to "Internal Only". Therefore, I cannot see the job to apply. Scott has been trying to get it straightened out since yesterday, but so far nothing.

Patience is not one of my virtues.

But, I will learn it. Getting this job means a few thing:
- No more searching for a job every 6 months
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Great Benefits
- Massive pay raise from what I'm making now

So, I'm trying to be patient, but mostly chomping at the bit, trying to not piss off Scott with my constant pestering.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:01 pm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-foxc ... SKCN1PO0FV

Looks like Foxconn may be pulling out of making a new plant in Wisconsin

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:53 pm

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:01 pm
Looks like Foxconn may be pulling out of making a new plant in Wisconsin
Now that their tool didn’t get re-elected they figure their handouts have come to an end. Good for the citizens of Wisconsin.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:03 pm

I'm just going to assume that this is what Michaels had in mind all along, in spite of what they said three years ago. Pat Catan's is a lower-cost competitor to Michaels. There's one about two miles from me. It's been convenient as it's directly across the road from my parent's and grandmother's cemetery. I could buy winter wreaths no different from the ones at Michaels at half the price, made right there in the store. I also buy some craft supplies there and my granddaughter likes the store. I feel bad for the employees. I also shop at Michaels, but I won't have a choice any more. There's a Hobby Lobby a few miles farther on, but that an absolute NO.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2019 ... chain.html
At the time of the acquisition Michaels said Lamrite West, the name of the company Pat Catanzarite founded in 1954 to supply craft supplies, would keep its team and headquarters in Strongsville. And unlike what often happens after mergers, Pat Catan's arts and crafts stores in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and West Virginia would continue to operate independently under Michaels. A spokeswoman also said employees at the company, as well its wholesale business, called Darice Inc. would all keep their jobs. At the time of the merger Lamrite West had about 1,600 employees.
They will be gone by the end of the year. :cry:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:06 am

The Guardian
Why record job growth in America hides a troubling reality

High employment rates gloss over a ‘much more complicated story’ of stagnant wages and vanishing mid-level jobs ...

What troubles analysts like Hamrick, as well as the central bankers at the Federal Reserve, is the fact that the US economy is now dominated by high skill, high wage jobs and low skill, low wage jobs. Gone are many of the middle skill, middle wage jobs and that, said Hamrick, a trend that has led to “not only the economic divisiveness of our country but to some degree the political divisiveness”. Take manufacturing for example, where about 25% of jobs have disappeared over the last two decades thanks to globalization and automation.

It isn’t just middle wage jobs that are missing from this job market. There is also the mystery of stagnant wages. Even as jobs were added, the one thing that remained mostly the same for large part of those 100 months were the wages. In December, wages were up 3.2% from a year earlier, their largest gain since 2008 but nothing to boast about. In January growth slipped to 3.1%. According to the Economic Policy Institute (EPI), a left-leaning thinktank, wages would have to grow between 3.5% to 4% for average workers to really feel an impact.

The wage growth figures, particularly in the early part of the recovery, should have come with “a sad trombone sound effect” said Hamrick. That low wage growth will be one of the main things people remember about this recovery, he added.

If anyone needed a reminder that many Americans live paycheck to paycheck while working full-time, the past month should have done the job. The 35-day government shutdown led to two missed paycheck for about 800,000 workers and many of them had to rely on food banks for their meals, deferred some of their bills and skipped payments on those they couldn’t cover. A recent survey by Bankrate.com found that just 40% of US households have enough money to cover a $1,000 in emergency expenses.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:17 am

Touted "Jobs created" figures frequently leads me to ask 'And?' to want a deeper look at what those jobs are. (Same goes for unemployment statistics.) If a 'job' still requires the employed to rely on public assistance, that job shouldn't be cheered :cheer1: by politicians as an awesome success.

The devil is always in the details.

Return to “Economy”