US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Kendra

Re: US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy &

Post by Kendra »

Watching @DonLemon laugh at Paul Manaort's infamous July 27, 2016 CBS interview is my favorite thing on TV this week. I dare you to watch it and try not to laugh.
Chilidog

Re: US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy &

Post by Chilidog »

A question came up elsewhere,

Is there a particular reason why the states have not filed charges?

If Manafort cheated on his state taxes as well, wouldn't the states want to get in line for whatever asserts he has left?
BBFlatt

Post by BBFlatt »

They probably will, if they haven't already; but tax assessment and collection are civil matters, so you may not see any criminal court activity.
SLQ

Post by SLQ »

I saw an article over the weekend that said Manafort's plea deal included pleading guilty to a number of state charges. I'll see if I can find it again.

ETA: Not exactly as I remembered reading in passing, but close:
Second, Mueller managed to get concessions from Manafort that limit the value of any pardon. Manafort admitted guilt on virtually all of the charges he faced in both Washington, D.C., and Virginia, including a slew of bank fraud charges. Each of those admissions could give state or local prosecutors a potential charge against Manafort that would survive even in the event of a Trump pardon, since he can pardon only federal offenses.

"By admitting to all of the facts in both indictments, the conviction is pardon proof in the sense that if Trump ever pardoned Manafort, a state attorney general could take Manafort’s admissions in the plea and use them to indict Manafort for state charges," former Watergate prosecutor Nick Akerman said.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/ ... don-825751
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

BBFlatt wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:15 pm They probably will, if they haven't already; but tax assessment and collection are civil matters, so you may not see any criminal court activity.
So sate tax fraud is not a criminal offense?
BBFlatt

Post by BBFlatt »

It is, but criminal prosecution is separate and apart from assessment and collection. I don't know haw it works in most states, but at the federal level, a tax fraud conviction does not result in the assessment of tax evaded, there is a separate civil process for that, including appeal rights and the possibility of a civil tax trial.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the states forgo the trouble and expense of a criminal prosecution in favor of just getting as much as they can, including penalties, civilly.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Gonna be a long few days until Friday :waiting:
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Poor Kendra. This must be hard, waiting. You’ve been tapping that foot since about the end of Nov. 2016.

Anticipation, baby. :blink:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

kate520 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:11 pm Poor Kendra. This must be hard, waiting. You’ve been tapping that foot since about the end of Nov. 2016.

Anticipation, baby. :blink:
:waiting:

tek

Post by tek »

or maybe

:blink:
There's no way back
from there to here
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:clap:

Perfect. Per Maddow, NBC is reporting that the filing on Friday will be public. There might be some redactions and/or sealed attachments, but otherwise :popcorn:
NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:44 am :clap:

Perfect. Per Maddow, NBC is reporting that the filing on Friday will be public. There might be some redactions and/or sealed attachments, but otherwise :popcorn:
Just to keep you awake for the next few nights, Mueller doesn't have to wait to file. He has until Friday to file. :-D
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

NMgirl wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:29 am
Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:44 am :clap:

Just to keep you awake for the next few nights, Mueller doesn't have to wait to file. He has until Friday to file. :-D
Ssshhh, NMgirl! Don't let Kendra know we've been in contact with Mueller asking him to heighten her anticipation! :whisper:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Something will drop as soon as I shut my eyes to sleep some more.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:39 am Something will drop as soon as I shut my eyes to sleep some more.

:lol:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Government's Submission in Support of its Breach Determination

https://free.law/pdf/gov.uscourts.dcd.190597.460.0.pdf
The defendant breached his plea agreement in numerous ways by lying to the FBI and Special Counsel's Office. The principal lies relate to, among other things: (1) Manafort's interactions with Donstantin Kilimnik; (2) Kilimnik's participation in count two of the superseding information; (3) a wire-transfer to a firm that was working for Manafort; (4) information pertinent to another Department of Justice investigation; and (5) Manafort's contact with administration officials
Addie

Post by Addie »

The Atlantic: The Mysterious Return of Manafort’s ‘Russian Brain’

Mueller says the former Trump campaign chairman repeatedly lied about his interactions with Konstantin Kilimnik, a man with ties to Russian intelligence.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Judge ABJ has set a status conference for Wednesday to hear Manafort team response to SPCs claim that he lied about his contacts with Trump team in breach of plea deal.
I have a vacation day to use up this week. Wednesday is shaping up to be a good choice :-D
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:57 am:waiting:
:rotflmao: We expect a full and complete with snark report! :bighug:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
maydijo

Post by maydijo »

Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:57 am:waiting:
It's much worse for me. I have to wait a whole extra day for the filing!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thread from Zoe. Sounds more like a nothing burger to be continued at a later date.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Paul Manafort advised White House on how to attack and discredit investigation of President Trump
We now have details as to how the indicted former campaign manager worked with the president to undermine federal law enforcement.
By Murray Waas Dec 14, 2018, 11:15am EST

Part of The Vox guide to Robert Mueller’s Trump-Russia investigation

Paul Manafort, who served as the manager for Donald Trump’s presidential campaign, provided advice to the president and senior White House officials on the FBI’s Russia investigation during the earliest days of the Trump administration. He gave guidance on how to undermine and discredit the FBI’s inquiry into whether the president, his campaign aides, and family members conspired with the Russian Federation and its intelligence services to covertly defeat Hillary Clinton during the 2016 campaign, according to government records and interviews with individuals familiar with the matter. Manafort himself was under criminal investigation by the FBI during this same time, a fact then known to the White House.

:snippity:

Manafort urged the president to attack the FBI

First, Manafort advised the president and his political surrogates to more aggressively and directly attack the FBI and other elements of the federal law enforcement apparatus investigating his administration. The goal of Manafort’s advice was to “delegitimize” the investigation itself, one person familiar with the advice explained to me. Manafort wanted nothing less than to “declare a public relations war on the FBI,” this same person said. Another goal was to discredit then-FBI Director James Comey and other senior FBI officials — as it had become increasingly likely they would be witnesses against the president.

Trump later did just that, but it’s unclear what role, if any, Manafort’s advice played in the president deciding to go on the attack. Other, more influential advisers made similar recommendations to Trump. And Trump likely did not need to hear that advice from Manafort or anyone else. As first lady Melania Trump once said of her husband: “As you may know by now, when you attack him he will punch back 10 times harder.”

Manafort also advised a senior administration official, through an intermediary, to attack the Justice Department, the FBI, and Obama administration officials for seeking court-authorized warrants under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) to eavesdrop on Manafort and a second campaign aide to Trump, Carter Page, as part of counterintelligence and criminal investigations into whether Manafort, Page, and others had conspired with Russia to help Trump win the 2016 presidential election.

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/14/18140744 ... estigation

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”