Hijack this thread

Whatever4

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:32 am

HST's Ghost wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:08 am

Randi Mayem Singer

@rmayemsinger

Because everything sucks, please enjoy this dad making a roller coaster out of a laundry basket.
Can't embed the vid but it is extra cute 'n' adorable...
Soooooo cute!

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:33 am

Lani wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:27 am
No surprise, but it's sad when an icon falls.

http://nsl.latimes.com/T/v400000166763a ... 5175bcf263
Sears files for bankruptcy, will further shrink operations
I'm not a business genius, but I'd like to know why Sears sold off their profitable lines. Craftsman is one. I believe Allstate is another. Rumor has it they'd like to sell off the Kenmore line. When you're left holding nothing but the unprofitable lines it's a sure-fire way to go bankrupt.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:39 am

ZekeB wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:33 am
Lani wrote:

I'm not a business genius, but I'd like to know why Sears sold off their profitable lines. Craftsman is one. I believe Allstate is another. Rumor has it they'd like to sell off the Kenmore line. When you're left holding nothing but the unprofitable lines it's a sure-fire way to go bankrupt.
Eddie Lampert. Eddie Lampert. Eddie Lampert. He bought KMart and Sears, combined them into a holding company. He bought Sears because at that time it had a hellacious chunk of cash assets. He saw an opportunity to grab Sears and its assets for his and his hedge fund's benefit, leaving Sears just a shell. He sold off the brand labels, including Kenmore, long ago as part of strip-mining Sears' assets.

My sister worked for Sears since the early 1970s. After Lampert's acquisition of Sears, the employees kept asking why the cash wasn't used to update and modernize the stores. Instead, the stores were allowed to get rundown and dirty, and the former exclusive brands began to be sold by competing retailers. As sales declined, they laid off employees. My sister was in a district management meeting where the managers tried to stage a revolt against the increasingly ridiculous long hours they had to work along with being critically short of staff. They were told, "if you don't like it, quit." As soon as she qualifed for retirement, she did. Not long after, most of her peers who'd stuck it out lost their jobs anyway.

Lampert didn't want to keep Sears going. It was just his cash/assets cow, to be milked till it ran dry.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:20 am

Lampert also wanted Sears' excellent mall locations. He seems to have had no interest in operating Sears as a successful store.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:17 pm

Got all excited when a letter from the boss arrived. My Soros check at last!

Turned out to be a survey about marijuana legalization. :(

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:54 pm

The devil wind has stolen our electricity. None of my devices have more than a 25% charge, so I’ll see ya when the light come back on.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:22 pm

@tek - massive amount of tots & pears to you & your parents. I love that photo of them! I hope everyone is doing well by now.

@kate - I hope the wind stops asap & that the electronics fairies charge your devices when you're not looking.

@HST's Ghost - thank you SO MUCH for that video. I'm bookmarking it to watch on the bad days - it's fabulous*!!

*And I say that as someone who loathes rollercoaster - I almost fell out of the one at Mountain Park in Holyoke MA when I was 17 & would have if my two friends hadn't hauled me back in. I slid up & out of the drop bar up to my knees as we went down the first hill & spent the rest of the ride on the floor hanging on & waiting for it to be over. I've never been on one again & never will. Once was more than enough.

tek

Post by tek » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Grrl, Mountain Park!!!! *

For everyone else:

https://www.pbs.org/video/wgby-document ... -memories/

Was started in the late 1800s as a way for the trolley company to generate weekend fares.

The much larger Riverside Park (now morphed into Six Flags) was 20-ish miles down the road, but that was more of a big deal.. Mtn Prk was where (especially young people) would go just for fun. The local rock-n-roll station (WHYN "Win Radio") would do a live remote there almost every weekend.

* I hate rollercoasters

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 pm

When I was 10 our folks let my little brother and I go off by ourselves at the State Fair in Sacramento. We got on the rocket, I think it’s called. Big I-beam with nosecones attached to either end. It went round and round, and the nose cone also spun clockwise. It had a bar like on roller coasters. The “windshield” part of the nose cone was wide open.

Bro was too little, they should never have let him ride. About halfway through he started to slip free of the bar. I grabbed his legs and hung on for dear life, both of us screaming. They never stopped the ride. I’m not even sure they noticed.

I hate rollercoasters.

Still no power. I went for a ride charged the phone but it’s almost dead again. Mañana, y’all.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:50 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:33 am
Lani wrote:

For years now I've thought it was both surprising and disappointing that Sears - the mother of all mail-order companies - didn't recognise the importance and impact of the internet sooner. If they'd only recognised the opportunity it presented, they could've been Amazon before Amazon was even a twinkle in Jeff Bezos's eye. For a company which survived many iterations over the years, evolving with the marketplace, it was remarkably short-sighted of them.

Like just about everyone else in the US we have some family heirlooms that started out as mail-order items from Sears. For my pioneer ancestors growing up on the plains and prairies of the west and mid-west, it was just about the only way to shop, especially for larger items like furniture. And like every other American child of the 1980s/1990s, I still have sugarplum-dreams of that wonderful childhood bible, the Christmas Wishbook. Ahhh, the anticipation of its arrival - the smell and slick feel of its pages - the weeks spent on my stomach in the living room, circling everything in sight, even those things I only kinda-sorta wanted - I feel sorry for my own children, that they have never got to experience the pleasure of the unadulterated fetishized consumerism that is the Christmas Wishbook.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:52 pm

I love roller coasters! I begged and pleaded with my husband until he went on one with me and he was surprised when I screamed during the ride. I had to reassure him that is was fun screaming, not terror screaming. He was ok going on them then.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:54 pm

When we went to California Adventure a few years back, my normally very timid son was very excited to try the big roller coaster with Mickey's face on it, the one that goes upside-down. So we dutifully waited in line only to discover when we got to the front of the line that he was a smidgeon too little. I started to say something and my husband hushed me and whispered to him to stand on his tippy-toes. Absolutely nothing happened, and he loved it, but I was terrified during the upside-down bit, not because it was scary but because I was afraid he would fall out!

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:15 am

President Donald Trump said that Sears Holdings Corp. had been mismanaged for years before it declared bankruptcy. Among those responsible for its management: his Treasury secretary.

Steven Mnuchin was a member of Sears’s board from 2005 until December 2016, and before that was a director for K-Mart Corp., which was acquired by Sears in 2005.

“Sears has been dying for many years,” Trump told reporters as he departed the White House on Monday to inspect hurricane damage in Florida. “It’s been obviously improperly run for many years and it’s a shame.”

Treasury didn’t immediately respond to questions about Mnuchin’s service on the company’s board.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -its-board

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:20 am

Lani wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:15 am
President Donald Trump said that Sears Holdings Corp. had been mismanaged for years before it declared bankruptcy. Among those responsible for its management: his Treasury secretary.

Steven Mnuchin was a member of Sears’s board from 2005 until December 2016, and before that was a director for K-Mart Corp., which was acquired by Sears in 2005.

“Sears has been dying for many years,” Trump told reporters as he departed the White House on Monday to inspect hurricane damage in Florida. “It’s been obviously improperly run for many years and it’s a shame.”

Treasury didn’t immediately respond to questions about Mnuchin’s service on the company’s board.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -its-board
There is literally nothing that Trump can't fuck up.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:52 am

Re: Rollercoasters

:nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo: :nooo:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 pm

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:55 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 pm
Adolf would not have approved this message. Get ready for a long march to the eastern front!

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:01 pm

"I'm gay for Hitler!" was one of the lesser-known propaganda slogans . . .

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:29 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:39 am
Lampert didn't want to keep Sears going. It was just his cash/assets cow, to be milked till it ran dry.
Eddie is a Randroid, a completely morally bankrupt hairball of the lowest order. Here's a bit on it from Denise Cummins at PBS. On that page, search for "An example from industry" and see:

An outspoken advocate of free-market economics and fan of the novelist Ayn Rand, he created the model because he expected the invisible hand of the market to drive better results. If the company’s leaders were told to act selfishly, he argued, they would run their divisions in a rational manner, boosting overall performance.

Instead, the divisions turned against each other — and Sears and Kmart, the overarching brands, suffered. Interviews with more than 40 former executives, many of whom sat at the highest levels of the company, paint a picture of a business that’s ravaged by infighting as its divisions battle over fewer resources.

Objectivism is a disease.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:16 pm

the GOP Gods on immigration

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:36 pm

29 years ago at this time I was hanging out in the street with Estiveo's Mom and all the neighbors who were home, wondering how long the aftershocks would go on, when it would be safe to go back indoors, and learning over our car radios how bad the damage was turning out to be.

10/17/89, 5:04 PM, Loma Prieta quake.

Image Image Image Image Image

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:46 pm

In honor of Canada's National Sanity Day:

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:00 pm

Screenshot_2018-10-17-18-56-49.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Image Image Image Image Image

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:06 pm

:lol:

As we were wandering around in Claremont CA last weekend we saw a whole block with blue BETO signs. :bighug:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:16 am

Estiveo, that is just the best! I live in an area where my neighbors would be screaming that they are PENDEJOS! Love it.

Return to “The Lounge”