Hijack this thread

User avatar
ZekeB
Posts: 16177
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Northwest part of Semi Blue State

Re: Hijack this thread

#24701

Post by ZekeB » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:46 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:00 am
This worked a slight improvement - I can return to websites without having to re-sign-in .... but only if I have not left my Chrome browser. If I switch from Chrome to my word processor and then go back to Chrome I still have to sign-in to everything anew.
Further advice is solicited.
Click on the "lock" to the left of the URL window. Set it for allow, if that option is available. I had to do so for my flash player.


Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

User avatar
Bill_G
Posts: 851
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:10 am
Location: Portland OR
Occupation: I work at being pleasantly surprised everyday.

Re: Hijack this thread

#24702

Post by Bill_G » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:50 am

You'll be pleased to know I passed the background check, and have been granted my security badge at PDX ... once again. I know some of you were sweating bullets, but fear not. As expected, these results were independent of my military history, my CJIS rating, my Coast Guard port security clearances, my Federal Courthouse clearances, my FBI and SS clearances, my efforts after Sept 11, and my amazing lack of criminal history. Despite all that, through rigorous and thorough investigation, I have been granted full access to the airport with driving privileges. Oy vey.

I felt bad for the nice lady that took my information. First, she handed me a single sheet with all my personal info printed on it for me to review, verify, initial, and hand back. Then she read each line to me expecting an acknowledgement before she entered it into the empty fields on her computer screen. At the biometrics phase, my right fore finger was recognized before her screen populated. But, she still had to take the ten card. And take the updated photo. And review my three pieces of identification.

And less than 24 hours later, I'm approved. Surprise! Oh, what a relief. (yawn)

Less than three years to retirement. Or so.



User avatar
ZekeB
Posts: 16177
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Northwest part of Semi Blue State

Re: Hijack this thread

#24703

Post by ZekeB » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:56 am

So we don't have to worry about you trying to steal an Airbus that you couldn't have possibly backed out of the hangar by yourself? I'll sleep soundly tonight. This will make it four nights in a row.


Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

User avatar
Bill_G
Posts: 851
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:10 am
Location: Portland OR
Occupation: I work at being pleasantly surprised everyday.

Re: Hijack this thread

#24704

Post by Bill_G » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:19 am

Correct. I have zero interest in hot dogging airplanes. Boats on the other hand ...

Glad to be doing my part to ensure your sound sleep. (note to self: add sleep therapist to my already long list of credentials)



User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2934
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#24705

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:03 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:46 am
Fortinbras wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:00 am
This worked a slight improvement - I can return to websites without having to re-sign-in .... but only if I have not left my Chrome browser. If I switch from Chrome to my word processor and then go back to Chrome I still have to sign-in to everything anew.
Further advice is solicited.
Click on the "lock" to the left of the URL window. Set it for allow, if that option is available. I had to do so for my flash player.
Regrettably I don't understand this instruction and wonder if it's not for Chrome. I cannot find the 'lock', and am not clear on how to set it for allow. Please clarify instructions .... painfully clear.



User avatar
tek
Posts: 3863
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, MA
Occupation: Damned if I know

Re: Hijack this thread

#24706

Post by tek » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:05 pm

I think that's the padlock to the left of the 'https' in this screengrab.. which will only be there if it is an https site
Untitled-1.jpg
I'm a mostly-firefox user, so I'm not much more help I'm afraid..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


There's no way back
from there to here

User avatar
DejaMoo
Posts: 5070
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 pm
Occupation: Agent of ZOG

Re: Hijack this thread

#24707

Post by DejaMoo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:46 pm
COMPUTER WOES: Yet again I have a problem with my Windows7, using Chrome. Nothing stays signed in. I have to keep repeating the sign-in procedure, even during the same day; when I leave one website for another and return I have to sign-in again, clicking the 'Remember Me' option has no effect.

Some time ago I had another problem and was advised to clean out the cache and cookies - I have done that, used CCleaner, run anti-virus programs, etc., to no avail. Advice is earnestly solicited.
First: Google keeps fucking with their user base by constantly changing their products, and never for the better. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

The most recent version is number 69. Check your version of Chrome by clicking on the icon of three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the browser, then click Help/About Google Chrome. It'll tell you what version you're currently running. That detail helps with troubleshooting, because if someone is trying to give you advice, but is running a different version of Chrome than what you're using, their instructions might not apply to your version of Chrome.

Second, starting with the previous version of Chrome, Google went ahead and changed how it stores user data, including sign-in information. This is wreaking havoc with all kinds of users. The two major issues are: constantly getting signed out of one's Google account; and (worse by far) Chrome by default now stores every login made by every person using Chrome browser on that device, so when yo go to login, you're presented with a list of user accounts to choose to log into. For shared/public computers, this is a security disaster. Thanks a fucking bunch, Google.

Anyhow, Fortinbras, there are several areas where this information is now stored. You'd probably be best off to try to go in and clear everything, and then, enter and save the login information all over again.

For starters, assuming you're on version 69, click those three dots again, go to More tools/Extensions. Turn OFF any browser extension you've got on your browser.

Next, go to https://myaccount.google.com/ Under "Personal info & privacy", click "manage your Google activity"/"Go to Activity controls".
Turn OFF "Web & App Activity".
UNCHECK "Include Chrome history and activity from sites, apps, and devices..."

Click those three dots again, go to Settings/Passwords. Turn OFF "offer to save passwords" and "auto sign in". Delete any saved passwords.
Go back to Settings, scroll down to the bottom and click Advanced.
Turn OFF "Use a prediction service to help complete searches..."
Turn OFF "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed"
Then scroll back up and Click "Clear browsing data".

Sign out of your Google account. Close Chrome.

Shut down your pc.

Then turn it back on, launch Chrome, click those three dots again, go to Settings/Passwords. Turn ON "offer to save passwords" and "auto sign in".
Go back to Settings, scroll down to the bottom and click Advanced.
Turn ON "Use a prediction service to help complete searches..."
Turn ON "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed"

Log back into your Google account, go to https://myaccount.google.com/ Under "Personal info & privacy", click "manage your Google activity"/"Go to Activity controls".
Turn ON "Web & App Activity".
CHECK "Include Chrome history and activity from sites, apps, and devices..."

Now that you've jumped through those hoops, see if it's behaving correctly. If it is, click those three dots again, go to More tools/Extensions and turn back ON one browser extension. Close Chrome, relaunch it. If it's still working correctly, turn on another browser extension. If the problem was a browser extension, you'll start to see the issue again when the problematical extension is turned back on. If you've turned all of your extensions and everything still works, you're good.

If none of this works, let me know, and we'll see what to try next (besides cursing and throwing things at the monitor).


I've heard this bull before.

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 36035
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Hijack this thread

#24708

Post by Addie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:10 am

Posting this here because I'll be damned if I can find the thread on this NYT Op-Ed. It's from a few days ago, so likely to be a dupe anyways.
Salon: Right to remain Anonymous: Scholar who decoded “Primary Colors” unmasks author of Times op-ed

Professor who outed Joe Klein in 1996: Detailed analysis narrows the list of administration suspects — down to one



User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 29131
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Fogbow HQ
Occupation: Dick Tater

Re: Hijack this thread

#24709

Post by Foggy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:10 am

One of my best friends here in Raleigh is a lady named Liz. I saw her Wednesday night last week.

Liz has a 17 yr. old niece who was running cross-country on a trail in Charlotte yesterday. She collapsed suddenly with a seizure and heart attack. She was put on life support, but today she was taken off it. There was just nothing they could do for her.

I'm stunned. I can't imagine what Liz, her brother and his wife are going through. What a nightmare. :cry:


I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 23934
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: Hijack this thread

#24710

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:21 am

Foggy wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:10 am
One of my best friends here in Raleigh is a lady named Liz. I saw her Wednesday night last week.

Liz has a 17 yr. old niece who was running cross-country on a trail in Charlotte yesterday. She collapsed suddenly with a seizure and heart attack. She was put on life support, but today she was taken off it. There was just nothing they could do for her.

I'm stunned. I can't imagine what Liz, her brother and his wife are going through. What a nightmare. :cry:
:( :( There aren't enough :(.


Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 8209
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: Hijack this thread

#24711

Post by RoadScholar » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:44 pm

Oh, man. That’s the saddest thing I’ve heard in a long, long time. :cry:


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

User avatar
Bill_G
Posts: 851
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:10 am
Location: Portland OR
Occupation: I work at being pleasantly surprised everyday.

Re: Hijack this thread

#24712

Post by Bill_G » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:26 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:10 am
One of my best friends here in Raleigh is a lady named Liz. I saw her Wednesday night last week.

Liz has a 17 yr. old niece who was running cross-country on a trail in Charlotte yesterday. She collapsed suddenly with a seizure and heart attack. She was put on life support, but today she was taken off it. There was just nothing they could do for her.

I'm stunned. I can't imagine what Liz, her brother and his wife are going through. What a nightmare. :cry:
As someone who has watched their child die, and another get close, your friend has our deepest sympathies. It makes you cherish your other children, and you don't take time for granted anymore. Tell her that eventually her grief will be replaced by gratitude for who you have. Give her a big hug from us the next time you see her. It is sincerely extended to her.



User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2934
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#24713

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:17 am

DejaMoo:

No luck with your recipe - it may be because my PC is 64-bits, not 32, and uses the 64 version of Chrome.

However, if it is Chrome's fault, then I'll simply opt for a different browser altogether. Even lower-tech is worth it if it cures these problems.

Thanks again.



User avatar
HST's Ghost
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

#24714

Post by HST's Ghost » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:22 am

Had to resist not jumping on a FB friend (FD: my wife's ex-husband who I generally get along well with) for calling #metoo a "witch hunt" because poor Ian Buruma lost his editorship at the NYRB, citing that Andrew Sullivan piece...Felt like linking him with the story from the valedictorian of my high school class of her non-reported rape as a freshman at Berkeley... :brickwallsmall: :fingerwag: :boxing: :smoking: :argument: :machinegun: :venting:


Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

User avatar
Dan1100
Posts: 3582
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

#24715

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:49 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:17 am
DejaMoo:

No luck with your recipe - it may be because my PC is 64-bits, not 32, and uses the 64 version of Chrome.

However, if it is Chrome's fault, then I'll simply opt for a different browser altogether. Even lower-tech is worth it if it cures these problems.

Thanks again.
All PC's that aren't Pentium old are 64 bit. Almost all Windows install after XP are 64 bit too.

If it were me, I'd uninstall Chrome and then reinstall it from scratch. Then sign in to Google and let it repopulate your preferences.

Or just install the latest Firefox and see how you like that. If you do like it, uninstall Chrome. If you don't, then you are no worse off.


"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2934
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#24716

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:08 am

I am Extremely Grateful that so many knowledgeable people are helping me when my PC goes sour.
I have momentarily returned to IE as my browser -- I completely forgot how to run IE.
It seems to me that if my problem was caused by Chrome, I would not be alone in whining about my problems.



User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 22666
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: Hijack this thread

#24717

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:44 am




User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 10524
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#24718

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:15 am

3 women I know have posted their own #metoo stories in the last 24 hours. One I already knew about, one didn't surprise me but the third was completely out of the blue. It was posted by just about the most goodie two shoes woman imaginable. Her diary from high school wouldn't have to lie about where she was or who she was with because she was never any place she shouldn't have been. And yet, she was the only one of the three who was actually raped. Full-on held down, hit, restrained, violent penetration, raped. In circumstances that I would have felt comfortable putting one of my own daughters in. And yet it happened. She's in her 50s now and still has trouble dealing with it. It took her almost 20 years and 2 husbands to ever tell anyone. She's speaking up now, publicly and loud, for other women, and for herself.

You go, girl is all I can say.



User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 23934
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: Hijack this thread

#24719

Post by Volkonski » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:58 am


GCWS
@GCWSatMIT
Join @MITWGS and others today to show that you #BelieveSurvivors! Folks will gather in front of Walker on Memorial Drive at 1pm as part of a national walkout to support survivors and as a sign of solidarity for Ford and Ramirez. @MITstudents @SHASS4Students @MIT_SHASS

11:50 AM - Sep 24, 2018

UNH Women's Studies
@UNHFeminists
Sexual violence is a non-partisan issue. At 1:00 today we will show that we #BelieveSurvivors. Join us in front of Huddleston Hall and/or post a message on social media saying that you, too, #BelieveSurvivors.

9:01 AM - Sep 24, 2018
Two university buildings housing dining halls where I have eaten but not given a thought to in decades are rallying sites for today's demonstrations.


Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 36035
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Hijack this thread

#24720

Post by Addie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:02 pm

:like:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:15 am
... She's speaking up now, publicly and loud, for other women, and for herself.

You go, girl is all I can say.



User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 29131
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Fogbow HQ
Occupation: Dick Tater

Re: Hijack this thread

#24721

Post by Foggy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:46 pm

Addie wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:02 pm
:like:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:15 am
... She's speaking up now, publicly and loud, for other women, and for herself.

You go, girl is all I can say.
:like:

We have a fucking sexual predator in the White House trying to put a fucking sexual predator on the Supreme Court. Words cannot convey my anger and outrage. I can't walk out on my employer, because I'm married to her and she's as pissed off as I am. But if somebody schedules a march in our nation's capital I am out the door.

:madguy: :cussing: :smokeears:


I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9443
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: Hijack this thread

#24722

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:46 pm
Addie wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:02 pm
:like:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:15 am
... She's speaking up now, publicly and loud, for other women, and for herself.

You go, girl is all I can say.
:like:

We have a fucking sexual predator in the White House trying to put a fucking sexual predator on the Supreme Court. Words cannot convey my anger and outrage. I can't walk out on my employer, because I'm married to her and she's as pissed off as I am. But if somebody schedules a march in our nation's capital I am out the door.

:madguy: :cussing: :smokeears:
Wear black, take a selfie and post on Planned Parenthood TL.


A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
DejaMoo
Posts: 5070
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 pm
Occupation: Agent of ZOG

Re: Hijack this thread

#24723

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:29 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:08 am
I am Extremely Grateful that so many knowledgeable people are helping me when my PC goes sour.
I have momentarily returned to IE as my browser -- I completely forgot how to run IE.
It seems to me that if my problem was caused by Chrome, I would not be alone in whining about my problems.
You are most definitely not alone. The Chrome product forums are full of complaints. There have been numerous articles written about this. It's been an ongoing issue with Chrome for some users over the past several years. True, the problem is often related to extensions the user may have installed, but other times it isn't.

As for the suggestion that you uninstall/reinstall Chrome: Chrome leaves behind a number of registry entries after you uninstall. You'll have to download and use a complete uninstaller program such as Revo Uninstaller to get it all out. Otherwise, odds are a simple uninstall/reinstall won't fix the problem.

I should mention a third possiblity, and that's a browser hijack. There's a volunteer group I've done volunteer tech support for, and that has happened twice. The thing is, it's really difficult for the average user to spot the signs of the hijack, so to them it looks like Chrome, but there's now garbage taking control of it and causing it to display things or do things that it wouldn't do on its own. Again, a complete uninstall followed by a reinstall is called for, though in those cases I also run a decent anti-malware program like Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware before reinstalling, just to make sure all the PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) have been removed from the computer before Chrome is reinstalled.

Incidentally, Fortinbras, Comodo Dragon is a freeware variant of Chrome browser. It's built on Chrome so it resembles it quite a bit. You can download it and give it a spin, see how it works for you. The nature of my job calls for me to have and use multiple browsers on my pc. I currently use the following browsers: Opera, Comodo Dragon, Comodo Ice Dragon (Firefox variant), Brave Browser, Pale Moon, and of course Firefox and Chrome. So don't feel limited to just IE and Chrome - there are many others to try out.


I've heard this bull before.

User avatar
DejaMoo
Posts: 5070
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 pm
Occupation: Agent of ZOG

Re: Hijack this thread

#24724

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:46 pm

We have a fucking sexual predator in the White House trying to put a fucking sexual predator on the Supreme Court. Words cannot convey my anger and outrage. I can't walk out on my employer, because I'm married to her and she's as pissed off as I am. But if somebody schedules a march in our nation's capital I am out the door.

:madguy: :cussing: :smokeears:
It's gotten a bit complicated in Minnesota, since Keith Ellison's accuser won't go away, won't retract, and yet won't provide the proof she claims she has. She most recently posted an excerpt from her medical records showing she reported the single incident to her physician, but from the description in the record, it doesn't sound like much. . . apparently that he yanked on her legs/feet, which resulted in no injuries. She's saying she doesn't have to re-traumatize herself by releasing the video. That's true, and it's perfectly appropriate to not release it - but she could let one or two people view it and then provide the rest of us with a description of the incident, or at least corroborate the existence of the video. She won't do that, either.

So - judging from how she's handling this, plus the excerpt from her medical record, I'm assuming she's making a mountain out of molehill, and she's using #metoo and the election as an opportunity to hurt her ex because she's still hurting herself. I could be wrong, but if her plan is to wait till a few days before the election before releasing the video, well - early voting has already begun here. She'd be better off to release it now, if it exists and actually shows domestic and/or sexual assault.

Which raises the question: technically, even yanking on another's legs counts as assault, but how many people would find that type of assault bad enough to taint the offender?

ETA: I'm not a fan of Ellison, and I didn't vote for him in the primary, so I'm not a supporting trying to find an excuse 'cuz I like him.


I've heard this bull before.

User avatar
Flatpointhigh
Posts: 7955
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:05 pm
Location: Hotel California, PH23
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.
Contact:

Re: Hijack this thread

#24725

Post by Flatpointhigh » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:58 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:45 pm
Foggy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:46 pm

We have a fucking sexual predator in the White House trying to put a fucking sexual predator on the Supreme Court. Words cannot convey my anger and outrage. I can't walk out on my employer, because I'm married to her and she's as pissed off as I am. But if somebody schedules a march in our nation's capital I am out the door.

:madguy: :cussing: :smokeears:
It's gotten a bit complicated in Minnesota, since Keith Ellison's accuser won't go away, won't retract, and yet won't provide the proof she claims she has. She most recently posted an excerpt from her medical records showing she reported the single incident to her physician, but from the description in the record, it doesn't sound like much. . . apparently that he yanked on her legs/feet, which resulted in no injuries. She's saying she doesn't have to re-traumatize herself by releasing the video. That's true, and it's perfectly appropriate to not release it - but she could let one or two people view it and then provide the rest of us with a description of the incident, or at least corroborate the existence of the video. She won't do that, either.

So - judging from how she's handling this, plus the excerpt from her medical record, I'm assuming she's making a mountain out of molehill, and she's using #metoo and the election as an opportunity to hurt her ex because she's still hurting herself. I could be wrong, but if her plan is to wait till a few days before the election before releasing the video, well - early voting has already begun here. She'd be better off to release it now, if it exists and actually shows domestic and/or sexual assault.

Which raises the question: technically, even yanking on another's legs counts as assault, but how many people would find that type of assault bad enough to taint the offender?

ETA: I'm not a fan of Ellison, and I didn't vote for him in the primary, so I'm not a supporting trying to find an excuse 'cuz I like him.
and, Ellison's wife is letting people know that the photo of "her" with all the bruising is not her. all you have to do is look at the profile pic and know she's telling the truth



My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Post Reply

Return to “The Lounge”