"Fear: Trump in the White House" by Bob Woodward - 9/11 Release

Addie

Re: "Fear: Trump in the White House" by Bob Woodward - 9/11 Release

Post by Addie »

WaPo
Bob Woodward’s ‘Fear’ sold 750,000 copies by the close of its first day

Sales of “Fear,” Bob Woodward’s new book about the first year of the Trump administration, are off to a phenomenal start this week.

Simon & Schuster announced that “Fear” sold more than 750,000 copies in all formats through Tuesday, Sept. 11, when the book officially went on sale. Pre-order sales were the largest for any title in the company’s history. The publisher has ordered a ninth printing, bringing the number of hardcover copies to more than 1,150,000.

Barnes & Noble announced that “Fear” is the fastest-selling adult title since Harper Lee’s “Go Set a Watchman” was released in 2015.

Advance sales outstripped supply at Amazon.com. The online bookseller is displaying a message saying that copies of “Fear” will ship “within 1 to 3 weeks.” According to an Amazon spokesman, more stock is on the way. Once those copies arrive, the availability message on the website will be updated. In the meantime, the Kindle and Audible versions are available for immediate download. (Amazon chief executive Jeffrey P. Bezos owns The Washington Post.)
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Javanka:
Sekrit Stuffs!
It was becoming impossible to manage the West Wing. At times it seemed Ivanka’s presence—hours a day, days in a row—was nonstop. Jared had the same squatter’s rights in the West Wing. They were like a posse of second-guessers, hovering, watching, interacting as family and senior advisers with the president. Ivanka planted seeds of doubt about policy and passed her father articles.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The Fractally Clueless WH: Sekrit Stuffs!
Porter noticed Scott Pruitt, the EPA administrator, in the West Wing lobby on April 5. He had been Pruitt’s Sherpa when Pruitt was barely confirmed by the Senate 52 to 46. Pruitt had been Oklahoma attorney general for six years, where he ran a war against EPA regulations. They made small talk. When Pruitt walked down to the Oval Office, Porter followed. Pruitt was not on the regular schedule. This was clearly an off-the-books meeting. That was evident when Bannon showed up in the Oval Office. “We need to get out of Paris,” Pruitt said, handing the president a plain sheet of paper he wanted him to read withdrawing from the Paris Accord. We need to get out, he said. “This was a campaign commitment.” “Yes, yes, yes,” Bannon said several times. “We’ve got to do this now.” Make this statement, Pruitt said. This could be your press statement. Maybe read it to reporters in the Oval Office, and have the press secretary put it out as a written statement. Porter was taken aback. As staff secretary he knew there had been no process. No one had been consulted. There had been no legal review. Pruitt and Bannon had snuck into the Oval Office and wanted an instant decision on the major international and national environmental issue of the day.
It was basically option two from the principals meeting—“Remain in the Paris Accord.” Porter thought he had found a way to minimize the damage. Porter and McMaster presented the proposed language to the president. They talked until they were blue in the face, but it was clear they’d lost the fight. No, no, no, Trump said. He was withdrawing full-scale. “That’s the only way that I can be true to my base.” As Trump worked over the speech draft, he toughened the language further.
Priebus continued to tell Trump that as his son-in-law, Jared should not have an official position and office in the White House. But this suggestion would ricochet right back and get him in trouble with Jared, who wanted to stay. Jared remained a mission Priebus failed to accomplish.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The TV habit: Sekrit Stuffs!
The president and the first lady had separate bedrooms in the residence. Trump had a giant TV going much of the time, alone in his bedroom with the clicker, the TiVo and his Twitter account. Priebus called the presidential bedroom “the devil’s workshop” and the early mornings and dangerous Sunday nights “the witching hour.”
There was not much he could do about the mornings, but he had some control over the weekend schedule. He started scheduling Trump’s Sunday returns to the White House later in the afternoon. Trump would get to the White House just before 9 p.m. when MSNBC and CNN generally turned to softer programming that did not focus on the immediate political controversies and Trump’s inevitable role in them.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Moar on Sessions:
Sekrit Stuffs!
Trump would not stop. He told Porter, “If he was going to recuse himself from this, why did he let himself be picked attorney general? That was the ultimate betrayal. How could he have done that?” Porter had an answer, which he presented as gently as he could. “There are well-established rules and guidelines for when you have to recuse yourself. And he met those. This wasn’t a political decision on his part. This wasn’t something he wanted to do. He consulted the relevant experts at the Department of Justice and was told you meet the criteria, so you have to.” “Well,” Trump said angrily, “he never should have taken the job. He’s the attorney general. He can make these decisions on his own. He doesn’t have to listen to his staff. If he was that smart of a lawyer and he knew he was going to have to recuse himself, he should’ve told me and I never would’ve picked him. But he’s slow. He probably didn’t even know.”

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

“If you have natural predators at the table,” Priebus said, “things don’t move.” So the White House was not leading on key issues like health care and tax reform. Foreign policy was not coherent and often contradictory. “Why?” asked Priebus. “Because when you put a snake and a rat and a falcon and a rabbit and a shark and a seal in a zoo without walls, things start getting nasty and bloody. That’s what happens.”

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Colbert on the Charlottesville comments:
Sekrit Stuffs!
On CBS, Stephen Colbert joked darkly, “It’s just like D-Day. Remember D-Day, two sides, Allies and the Nazis? There was a lot of violence on both sides. Ruined a beautiful beach. And it could have been a golf course.”
Spot on.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Cohn is getting ready to resign:

Sekrit Stuffs!
“Everyone wants your position,” Trump continued. “I made a huge mistake giving it to you.” The president continued with venom. It was chilling. Cohn had never been talked to or treated like that in his life. “This is treason,” Trump said.

much ado

Post by much ado »

Kendra wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:03 pm
Moar on Sessions:
Sekrit Stuffs!
Trump would not stop. He told Porter, “If he was going to recuse himself from this, why did he let himself be picked attorney general? That was the ultimate betrayal. How could he have done that?” Porter had an answer, which he presented as gently as he could. “There are well-established rules and guidelines for when you have to recuse yourself. And he met those. This wasn’t a political decision on his part. This wasn’t something he wanted to do. He consulted the relevant experts at the Department of Justice and was told you meet the criteria, so you have to.” “Well,” Trump said angrily, “he never should have taken the job. He’s the attorney general. He can make these decisions on his own. He doesn’t have to listen to his staff. If he was that smart of a lawyer and he knew he was going to have to recuse himself, he should’ve told me and I never would’ve picked him. But he’s slow. He probably didn’t even know.”
He just doesn't get the point, does he? It's not because Sessions is slow. Any attorney general would be similarly constrained. It's because we don't live in a fucking dictatorship, YOU MORON!

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

much ado wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:09 pm
Kendra wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:03 pm
Moar on Sessions:
Sekrit Stuffs!
He just doesn't get the point, does he? It's not because Sessions is slow. Any attorney general would be similarly constrained. It's because we don't live in a fucking dictatorship, YOU MORON!
:thumbs:

He is so effing clueless.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

kate520 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:03 pm
I can’t find out how many Kindle copies have been sold. Amazon is sold out of the audible version.

I hope everyone in Washington, from now on, looks knowingly at Trump and just walks away, shaking their heads.
How does that happen, I wonder? My guess is that they have to renegotiate royalties once they hit a certain number of sales.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:12 pm
kate520 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:03 pm
I can’t find out how many Kindle copies have been sold. Amazon is sold out of the audible version.

I hope everyone in Washington, from now on, looks knowingly at Trump and just walks away, shaking their heads.
How does that happen, I wonder? My guess is that they have to renegotiate royalties once they hit a certain number of sales.
I was wondering the same thing. How do you "run out" of downloads?

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I found it! https://www.novelrank.com/

I think it doesn't start counting until someone enters the book in question, but after that it will show the sales. I think, been a while since I played with this.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I can't post excerpts because I'm an audible listener. I've finished listening, and a few things struck me (in no particular order).

1. He treated Gary Cohn like absolute shit over Charlottesville. I know, I know, he treats everybody like shit. But this was extra-extra shitty.

2. The notion that the President of the United States thinks that we could just go into Afghanistan (or any country) and "just take" their mineral deposits because "it's free," and would then order his staff to "just go in and take it" is appalling to me as an American. I don't know shit about Afghanistan, but WHERE THE FUCK does he get off thinking that the US can ignore the sovereignty of another nation, even one where we are physically present? We can't "just take" Afghanistan's mineral deposits any more than we could "just take" Iraq's oil.

3. He doesn't get that our economy and our national security are interrelated, and simply cannot understand why his military leaders are sticking their noses into economic issues (such as trade with South Korea).

4. I'm a little scared that people I loved to hate (Porter in particular) might be the only thing keeping him in check, and now they're gone.

5. I'm askeered.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe »

Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:35 pm
I can't post excerpts because I'm an audible listener. I've finished listening, and a few things struck me (in no particular order).

[[snip]]

5. I'm askeered.
Thanks for the report.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I was curious so I looked to see how many copies the Hennepin County Library System (Minneapolis & suburbs) had of this book.

Ebook - 71 copies, 664 people currently on hold
Audio book - 41 copies, 394 people currently on hold
Hard cover - 59 copies, 17 more copies on order, 1,498 people currently on hold

I had reserved the ebook and got notified yesterday that I could download it. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend.

I would not be surprised to see the library order more copies.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

verbalobe wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:39 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:35 pm

[[snip]]

5. I'm askeered.
Thanks for the report.
:yeah:

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

As a reminder, you can sign up for Audible (an Amazon company) and get a free book... if you cancel before the end of the month you can keep the book. One time offer and they've budgeted for it. (I'm an Audible member and bought the Kindle version as well.)

Up to Chapter 9, it's just wild and predictable.
#Birther #Grifter #Liar Mike Zullo is Too Hot For TV! And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" New Season in March on weTV!

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Somerset wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:12 pm

I was wondering the same thing. How do you "run out" of downloads?
It's a licensing thing. You negotiate a deal for x number of books in x format. If demand outstrips supply, you've got to negotiate a whole new contract or an upgrade to the existing one. Until you've got that agreement, you can't legally supply more books.

This is part of my job. If anyone is going through a rough patch of insomnia, I can drone on at length about license agreements, material suppliers, access providers, licensors, vendors, formats, platforms, access rights, download rights, DRM, etc ad nauseum until you either zonk out or run away screaming. I often feel like doing that myself.
I've heard this bull before.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Tax reform bill.
Sekrit Stuffs!
Mulvaney threw a note on Cohn’s desk: If you want to get tax reform done, keep Mnuchin out of the Capitol.
A tax lawyer might understand the nuances of the various percentages or of certain loopholes Trump could not possibly understand or care about. “Go for it,” Trump said. Cohn saw that he could do anything on the tax reform bill as long as Trump could call it a win.
Cohn found out that getting votes in the Senate was all about giving individual senators their favorite loopholes or tax breaks. “It’s a candy store,” he said.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

About quality time at Mar a Lago
Sekrit Stuffs!
At Mar-a-Lago, Trump would come back from playing golf. It’d be a Saturday afternoon in February or March. Absolutely stunningly beautiful. One of the most beautiful things in the world. Melania would be in the room right next door. He would watch CNN’s D-team of panelists, whom Bannon considered super-haters, and get worked up.
It’s not meaningful. Just enjoy yourself.” Trump’s response would often go like this: “You see that? That’s a fucking lie. Who the fuck’s . . .” Bannon would say, “Go play some slap and tickle with Melania.” Trump also did not spend much time with his son Barron, then age 11.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Tweets and North Korea. Dun dun dun dun...
Sekrit Stuffs!
President Trump’s tweets may have come close to starting a war with North Korea in early 2018. The public never learned the full story of the risks that Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un took as they engaged in a public battle of words. It began on New Year’s Day in an address by Kim, reminding the world, and the American president, of his nuclear weapons. “It’s not a mere threat but a reality that I have a nuclear button on the desk in my office,” Kim declared. “All of the mainland United States is within the range of our nuclear strike.” It was an ugly and provocative threat. Lingering after receiving his President’s Daily Brief on January 2, President Trump said, “In this job I’m playing five hands of poker simultaneously, and right now we’re winning most of the hands.
Within the White House but not publicly, Trump proposed sending a tweet declaring that he was ordering all U.S. military dependents—thousands of the family members of 28,500 troops—out of South Korea. The act of removing the dependents would almost certainly be read in North Korea as a signal that the United States was seriously preparing for war.
The tweet did not go out. But Trump wouldn’t drop the matter, and raised the issue of withdrawing U.S. military dependents with Senator Graham.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

PSA: when I highlight on the Kindle and it zaps to Goodreads for me to c/p, the paragraph breaks are gone and they're hard to recall and recreate where they should be hours later, so don't knock the author for leaving them out. Stuff on the South Korea chapter coming shortly.

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
Woodward book breaks 93-year publishing record ...

The 750,000-plus copies sold combines sales of print copies, ebooks and audiobooks, according to a statement by Simon & Schuster.

The publisher also announced that it ordered a ninth printing, sending the total number of hardcover copies in print above 1.15 million.

"Based on immense pre-publication and ongoing interest, the reading public clearly has an enormous appetite for what we believe, as Woodward says, is 'a pivot point in history,'" said Simon & Schuster President Jonathan Karp in a Wednesday statement.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

About 30% into "Fear". Lots of detail.

The book is well named. It makes the reader fear for the future. :(
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Trump Administration”