You deserve all the happiness. :bighug:
:yeah: So glad you have landed in such a lovely place. :thumbs:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

tek

Re: Recipes!

Post by tek » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Native strawberries are in at our CSA farm share..
These are VERY different from the CA strawberries we get year-round in the supermarkets here.. much more intense, less sweet..
The farm is begging members to come pick them.. I may take some time off tomorrow and pick a quart to bring to my parents..
strawberries.jpg
Lest I be chastised for not posting a recipe:

Strawberries:
- pick strawberries
- wash strawberries
- eat strawberries
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Don't really have a recipe to share right now, though my roommate loves to bombard me with them on Facebook.

A few weeks ago, my father sent me my mother's recipe cards. Most of them are handwritten. Some were written by my grandmother. They are faded, cardstock has been worn to paper thin. Some recipes are just cut out from a box of some kind.

I'm slowly transferring them to a database on my laptop, because I don't want the cards themselves to get wrecked. And it's easier to sort/search through them on the computer, though I do love looking at the cards.

Most are just a list of ingredients. Which cracks me up, kinda. If it weren't for the fact I know how most of this stuff is made, I would be entirely lost. If someone that had little to no experience cooking ever go hold of these things, they would be so screwed.

So, I'm sitting here typing in recipes, ingredients, putting together directions as I remember. And shedding a few tears.

For all the issues my Mother and I had, the one thing we could always bond over was cooking. It's been almost 4 years since she passed away. I am missing her a lot lately.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Aww, Jez, I'm sorry for the loss of your mom. I still miss my Dad, and he's been gone more than ten years. I'm glad you have the recipes as a reminder of her.

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Chocolate chip, oatmeal, brown sugar cookies. Made them with my mom from the time I was tiny. I taught my son how to make them. Sometimes cry while watching them bake. :bighug:

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

tek

Post by tek » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Jez, cooking is an amazing bond. The memories can be tough.

My grandmother passed long before I was at a point where I could learn her recipes and techniques..

ms.tek and I are both children of generation-skipping cooking.. we both remember our grandmother's cooking, and although my mom did have a few good recipes, she was really a '60s cook.. ms.tek's mom was not at all a cook..

We're having a pierogi-making session here in two weeks, with two of my grandmother's great-granddaughters and some of their friends. The kids are taking some interest in their culinary heritage.. I well remember when my grandmother and her sisters would gather in my grandmother's tiny kitchen in Chicopee to make pierogi.. which was both a food-production event (all these women worked in factories) and a social event..

Here's the recipe:
- invite friends
- have a good time
- make food

A truckload of bricks

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Jez wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Don't really have a recipe to share right now, though my roommate loves to bombard me with them on Facebook.

A few weeks ago, my father sent me my mother's recipe cards. Most of them are handwritten. Some were written by my grandmother. They are faded, cardstock has been worn to paper thin. Some recipes are just cut out from a box of some kind.

I'm slowly transferring them to a database on my laptop, because I don't want the cards themselves to get wrecked. And it's easier to sort/search through them on the computer, though I do love looking at the cards.

Most are just a list of ingredients. Which cracks me up, kinda. If it weren't for the fact I know how most of this stuff is made, I would be entirely lost. If someone that had little to no experience cooking ever go hold of these things, they would be so screwed.

So, I'm sitting here typing in recipes, ingredients, putting together directions as I remember. And shedding a few tears.

For all the issues my Mother and I had, the one thing we could always bond over was cooking. It's been almost 4 years since she passed away. I am missing her a lot lately.
:clap: :bighug: :bighug:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:43 pm

AAAARRRGGGGH!!!

OK, so my son was at college on his internship this summer and because the main dining hall was closed, he had to learn how to cook for himself. I brought him some cheap, non-stick cookware at Target and he was good to go.

He's very proud of himself that he can make his own French Toast.

This morning he made himself a batch using my favorite cast iron pan. When he was done, he scrubbed the pan out with soap water and the scouring sponge, then he put it on the stove to air dry.

:brickwallsmall:

We had to have a little talk about the care and cleaning of cast iron.

(The best part was the look he gave me when, in response to his question, "well how do you clean it, then?"

I said, "wipe it out with a paper towel." Kids these days!)

vic

Post by vic » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:43 pm
AAAARRRGGGGH!!!

OK, so my son was at college on his internship this summer and because the main dining hall was closed, he had to learn how to cook for himself. I brought him some cheap, non-stick cookware at Target and he was good to go.

He's very proud of himself that he can make his own French Toast.

This morning he made himself a batch using my favorite cast iron pan. When he was done, he scrubbed the pan out with soap water and the scouring sponge, then he put it on the stove to air dry.

:brickwallsmall:

We had to have a little talk about the care and cleaning of cast iron.

(The best part was the look he gave me when, in response to his question, "well how do you clean it, then?"

I said, "wipe it out with a paper towel." Kids these days!)
My mom never used cast iron, so I didn't have a clue. But I heard so much about how great it, that I bought a 10.25 inch pre-seasoned Lodge skillet... but being older, I also bought Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies.

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:24 am

I LOVE my cast iron. And yes, I had the same discussion with the room mates on the care and feeding of cast iron cookware. I was going to head to North Dakota over the 4th for various festivities, such as my birfday, fireworks, parades, and a class reunion. Alas, the cost of getting the Tweedles out of the house put a kibosh to that. While there, I was going to be bringing home a bunch of my mom's cookware, including the cast iron, which she got from her mother. So it's good and very well seasoned.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:58 am

We picked up a small jar of coconut oil for some recipe or other. I've been using that to give it a quick wipe when needed.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Coconut oil is good for a lot of things but very good for cooking and baking.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:33 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:09 pm
Dumb question... is coconut oil a new thing? Did some new source appear? Did it replace Crisco or something? I swear it wasn’t on my radar a few years ago, but now it’s everywhere. Even in crafting applications.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:09 pm

crossposting Kendas link from elsewhere
TRUMP GRILL COULD BE THE WORST RESTAURANT IN AMERICA
And it reveals everything you need to know about our next president.

BY TINA NGUYEN
DECEMBER 14, 2016 3:02 PM

Halfway through a recent late lunch at the Trump Grill—the clubby steakhouse in the lobby of Trump Tower that has recently become famous through the incessant media coverage of its namesake landlord, and the many dignitaries traipsing through its marbled hall to kiss his ring—I sensed the initial symptoms of a Trump overdose. Thanks to an unprecedented influx of diners, we were sitting at a wobbly overflow table outside the restaurant, in the middle of a crush of tourists, some of whom were proposing to their partners, or waiting to buy Trump-branded merchandise, or sprinting to the bathroom.

As my companions and I contemplated the most painless way to eat our flaccid, gray Szechuan dumplings with their flaccid, gray innards, as a campy version of “Jingle Bells” jackhammered in the background, a giant gold box tied with red ribbon toppled onto us. Trump, it seemed, was already fighting against the War on Christmas.

Donald Trump is “a poor person’s idea of a rich person,” Fran Lebowitz recently observed at The Vanity Fair New Establishment Summit. “They see him. They think, ‘If I were rich, I’d have a fabulous tie like that.’” Nowhere, perhaps, does this reflection appear more accurate than at Trump Grill (which is occasionally spelled Grille on various pieces of signage). On one level, the Grill (or Grille), suggests the heights of plutocratic splendor—a steakhouse built into the basement of one’s own skyscraper.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/12 ... ill-review

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:33 am
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Dumb question... is coconut oil a new thing? Did some new source appear? Did it replace Crisco or something? I swear it wasn’t on my radar a few years ago, but now it’s everywhere. Even in crafting applications.
Waaay back when I was a kid, my best friend's dad was famous for making the best popcorn. His secret: coconut oil. But then the anti-fat health hysteria hit and solid/saturated fats were deemed the worst of all, so coconut oil pretty much disappeared from grocery shelves. A few years ago it became popular in vegan cooking and home health treatments, and now it's everywhere.

Too, also: the cleaning of cast-iron pans. We have always scrubbed ours with dish soap and a Scotch pad, rinsed it, then dried it on low heat on the stove. If the pan is properly seasoned, a quick wash with soap and a scrubber will not remove it. Soaking, however, is absolutely verboten.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:33 am
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Marketing

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:22 pm

It's been around a long time, just not generally available until fairly recently. It is now much more generally available and the price has come down considerably from what it was, depending on where and how you shop.

But yeah, marketing.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

tek

Post by tek » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:58 pm

long ago, back when we had at least some faith in our system of government, we were close friends with another couple who would make a strawberry-cream cake for ms.tek's birthday, which happened every year at the beginning of the local strawberry season.

Said couple retired and moved away, and this tradition vanished.

Until this year! That couple came north for a visit right around ms.tek's birthday. Armed with the recipes, I worked to re-create what was. And it indeed was. Daughter.tek was involved in all this, and she just skype'd:
I should not have learned to make this cake...I am now in demand
So here it is. In two parts.

First, simple cake from scratch:
lois_yellow_cake.JPG
Then, whipped-cream frosting.
1 pint heavy cream, well chilled
1 cup sifted icing sugar (confectioner's sugar is fine)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

Using both a chilled bowl and chilled beaters, beat the cream until frothy.
Add the icing sugar and vanilla gradually while beating.
Whip until light and a thick enough consistency to spread as an icing.
Use immediately.
When I made this with my friend looking over my shoulder, she said "be careful, it's going to turn to butter!" .. which is EXACTLY what my mom used to say! (protip: bullshit.)

Then local strawberries, assemble the cake in layers, yadda yadda

ooh yumm yum nom nom nom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A truckload of bricks

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:08 pm

(danraft, don't read this)

Supper tonight;
lady peas
rice
boiled okra

Cook everything, salt it pretty good, serve it all together in a bowl. Eat seconds.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Supper tonight;
lady peas
rice
boiled okra

Cook everything, salt it pretty good, serve it all together in a bowl. Eat seconds.
What do you do with the gentlemen peas? :confused:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:32 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:15 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Supper tonight;
lady peas
rice
boiled okra

What do you do with the gentlemen peas? :confused:
They wash the dishes.

tek

Post by tek » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Those of you already on the Penzey's email list have already gotten this, but for those who haven't:
Three years ago today, 7-6-15, our President rolled out his campaign including these words:

"Likewise, tremendous infectious disease is pouring across the border."

No future historian of 21st century America will be so unaware of 20th century history to not know exactly who the then candidate was channeling with the words "tremendous infectious disease." At the time, many hoped this was not who he really was, but just a cynical ploy to stand out in a crowded field. But if there was then any doubt or feeling this was just an act, on this the third anniversary of his launching his campaign with such calculated words, that doubt is long gone. There is also no doubt that the threat this kind of thinking represents is very much real.

Even though our country since it’s founding has been a revolution for equality, there has still always been racism in America. And there’s something about immigration that continues to bring out the worst in some Americans. But as bad as racism is, as bad as the belief that some people are better than other people is, the belief that some people are not people at all is far-far worse, and much more dangerous to our country. That these beliefs are coming from the President of the United States and are being intentionally spread to promote anger and fear is something no American, regardless of Party, should ever be willing to accept.

So today and tomorrow we are spotlighting the danger of supporting this President while celebrating the decency and goodness of those his administration and Party seek to dehumanize with a free $31.95 value Embrace Hope box. We are an immigrant nation, and through the strength of that immigration we’ve risen up from just another colony to leadership among the free world. This little box packs in a great deal of the goodness this latest wave of immigrants have brought to our country.

First there is the Embrace Hope Pin. One of the greatest gifts America receives from each new wave of immigrants is an ever refreshing sense of hope. From our Spice travels we can tell you the Hope Americans take for granted is far more rare in most other places around the globe. To see America through the eyes of immigrants is to see an almost magical place where, no matter who you were born, your hard work can amount to something, and even better, a place where your children have an honest opportunity to earn a better future. To see America through their eyes is to see the Hope that has served our nation so well in times like these where we had lost our way.

Then Mexican Vanilla Extract. It is a small bottle, yes, but it is the now sky high cost of the Vanilla in this little bottle that makes this box our costliest giveaway ever. But to be able to give Vanilla in this time when so many on budgets struggle to afford its costs does make us happy. And it belongs here. Almost everything Americans bake to share love features Vanilla, and Vanilla only exists because of the ingenuity, hard work and compassion of the ancestors of those from Mexico and Central America that makes it so right to be a part of this offer. It’s a small bottle, but there is so much goodness inside.

Plus Salsa & Pico. Great flavor comes from great culture, those decades, even generations, of kind Cooks working and observing and making those little tweaks in order to achieve smiles all the way around the table is where the best of flavors come from. That the President and his Party should seek to dehumanize people of a culture that so values children, the elderly and, of course, cooking makes it all the more wrong. This Salsa & Pico has the ability to turn every fresh tomato or ear of corn you meet for the rest of the summer into a reminder of how lucky we are to live among those with such great humanity and who care so much about making the lives of others better.

Please take a moment to celebrate the kindness they bring, appreciate how much they’ve given up to be here, and embrace the hope at the heart of their journey. They are our future. Now is the time to thank them.

To get your flat-out free $31.95 value Embrace Hope box just bring this email, or the coupon above, into one of our stores today or tomorrow. Online at penzeys.com, simply enter the code America in the apply code box at checkout. No need to add the box to your basket, the code does that automatically, and for free. Shipping charges will still apply, but to try to make this a bit more obtainable we've dropped our standard $30 spending minimum for free shipping to just $20 and included Alaska and Hawaii in this offer— I hope it helps.

We are also offering a good deal on 1/4-cup jars of Ground Cumin and Chicken Taco Seasoning. Our Ground Cumin is something special and key to many traditional Mexican and Central American favorites. The Chicken Taco, though equal parts evolved and traditional, is the Penzey home favorite Taco Seasoning. And don’t let the name fool you, whatever you have around the house can quickly become tasty tacos with Chicken Taco Seasoning. We are trying to make it easy for you to spend a little with $2 jars, or free if you spend a little more.

And the time has come to end the dehumanization of Central American asylum seekers. They are not bringing great disease, they are not animals, they do not deserve to have their children taken from them. Much of the instability they are fleeing has been of our own doing. We need to step up here and do what’s right.

And please feel free to share this offer and/or please bring friends and family into one of our stores to take advantage of this offer. As we’ve discovered, a good message travels far, but a good message along with a great deal has the possibility of reaching everywhere. It is a one per household deal, and those not on our email list need to visit us here (http://send.penzeys.com/I0b0yQq0kabohh3X0M0HJ00), to get their own coupon for in-store redemption. But this is a really nice and valuable little box. There is so much humanity inside.

Nazism has no place in America or any country. These people are not animals. They are good and kind. They are our neighbors and they need our help. Let’s step up and be Americans here. As Cooks have always known, in our kindness is our strength.

Thanks for having the kindness to cook,

Bill Penzey

A truckload of bricks

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:12 am

Been eyeing the spices at that company since fogbowzers have been talking about it. I finally placed an order. Thank you, Tek. :kiss:

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:24 am

I got their, I think it was called "Heart and Soul" box as a giveaway a few months ago - I bought it online and also bought enough other spices to get the free shipping. I am absolutely in love with their "Florida" blend which was included in that box. It's peppery, it's citrusy, it's amazing! I'm going to go though my spice cupboard in the morning and see what needs replacing or replenishing, and place an order accordingly before this deal is over.

IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played on on TV.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:41 am

I still wear my Hope pin from 08. Will add Embrace Hope.

Return to “The Lounge”