X -Where Twitter goes to die.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

Estiveo wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:32 pm I signed up for counter.social. there seem to be a lot of people heading over there from twitter. I got my same @Estiveo. We'll see.
Thanks! Got in, kate520. Now to see how if anyone i follow made it over.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:11 pm I never signed up for Twitter. I've regretted signing up for Facebook, although I keep friends and posts really low. I've only been on Next Door a few years, and frequently regret that. As it stands, for me, social media sucks. :cantlook:
Same here, I had a Facebook account over 10 years ago and canceled it. My daughter was peeved and said “You don’t care about me?” I said sure but Facebook sucks, I didn’t care about anybody’s minutae of life. She can just call me.
I did bite the bullet and started another one after I got an Oculus for Festivus. My daughter is the only one who knows the username. I don’t look at it at all, and haven’t installed the app. At this point I don’t even know for sure what my username is, or how to login. I can still use the Oculus.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

After being a pretty active Twitter user, I just got tired of all the crap. The only time I look at it now is when somebody sends me a link. I can live without it. I do think I’ll check into Estiveo’s suggestion.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

No Twitter, FB only because I have a page for my farm and another page for my dahlias.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I have a Twitter account but have only posted maybe twice.

But I spend probably too much time on Twitter following certain people, mostly news, some health professionals, some legal experts, etc.

It won't make any difference to Twitter if I stay or go. If the folks I follow leave, I'll follow them to wherever they move. So I'm not making any changes yet.
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Social media is neither. User-generated content leveraged for data-mining and targeted advertising would be a more apt description.

There's only one Twitter account that I read, a guy who is the best source for local politics, but I don't login and have my tracking and ad-blocking set to maximum, auto-clear all Twitter cookies when I close my browser window. We're friends, but unfortunately he doesn't converse via email, rather Twitter DMs. There is no way in hell I'm going to touch their messaging system. I'd be happy if he found a new platform.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Just got "Jez" at Counter.Social. If I ever get the confirmation email. :D
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

With Deal for Twitter, Musk Lands a Prize and Pledges Fewer Limits
The world’s richest man succeeded in a bid to acquire the influential social networking service, which he has said he wants to take private.

By Mike Isaac and Lauren Hirsch
April 25, 2022

Elon Musk struck a deal on Monday to buy Twitter for roughly $44 billion, in a victory by the world’s richest man to take over the influential social network frequented by world leaders, celebrities and cultural trendsetters.

Twitter agreed to sell itself to Mr. Musk for $54.20 a share, a 38 percent premium over the company’s share price this month before he revealed he was the firm’s single largest shareholder. It would be the biggest deal to take a company private — something Mr. Musk has said he will do with Twitter — in at least two decades, according to data compiled by Dealogic.

“Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated,” Mr. Musk said in a statement announcing the deal. “Twitter has tremendous potential — I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it.”

The blockbuster agreement caps what seemed an improbable attempt by the famously mercurial Mr. Musk, 50, to buy Twitter — and immediately raises questions about what he will do with the platform and how his actions will affect online speech globally.

The billionaire, who has more than 83 million followers on Twitter and has romped across the service hurling gibes and memes, has repeatedly said he wants to “transform” the platform by promoting more free speech and giving users more control over what they see on it. By taking the company private, Mr. Musk could work on the service out of sight of the prying eyes of investors, regulators and others.

Yet scrutiny is likely to be intense. Twitter is not the biggest social platform — it has more than 217 million daily users, compared with billions for Facebook and Instagram — but it has had an outsize role in shaping narratives around the world. Political leaders have made it a megaphone, while companies, celebrities and others have used it to hone images and build brands.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/25/tech ... -sale.html
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Estiveo wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:32 pm I signed up for counter.social. there seem to be a lot of people heading over there from twitter. I got my same @Estiveo. We'll see.
How do you get access to that? I tried going to the URL but got an access denied message. I don't know if I'd join or not, but I'm curious to get a look at it.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I am @MarciaBarnes13 on counter.social and am following estiveo.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

They refuse to send me the email. :mad:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

They started having issues yesterday because of a sudden high volume of sign ups for some reason. :confuzzled:
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Bot purge?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

To Paraphrase Jim Wright yesterday, when does Musk reveal the $44 billion is in the form of 1 NFT Token?
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

No email here either. We'll see.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

I just signed up with poplove and got the confirmation email immediately.
► Show Spoiler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

That's interesting, but Musk could literally take the $43B he is spending for Twitter and flush it straight down the toilet and still be the richest man on the face of the planet. While profit is always a motive, I doubt it is terribly high on his list in this endeavor.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's the most expensive toy in the world.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I finally got on to Counter.Social under @Kriselda. I've added Estiveo, Kate520, Jez and TRL
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I have quite a few people that I follow on Twitter. I have to make a spreadsheet of who they are so that I can find them if Twitter goes away. People like -

Aaron Rupar - @atrupar
Daniel Dale - @ddale8
Aaron Blake - @AaronBlake
Acyn - @Acyn
Steve Vladeck - @steve_vladeck
Health Nerd - @GidMK
Scott Gottlieb, MD - @ScottGottliebMD
David Gorski, MD, PhD - @gorskon

Because I like about 100 different Twitter users, I've made efficient use of Twitter Lists to manage them. I would have to relocate them if they leave Twitter. Sigh.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Counter.social sez:
Due to an unprecedented influx of unexpected new users
countersocial is currently undergoing infrastructure upgrades
We expect to be back around 9PM Eastern Wednesday 27th April
Apologies for the frustration
Image Image Image Image
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:36 pm That's the most expensive toy in the world.
More expensive that his private spaceship?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Dave from down under wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:55 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:36 pm That's the most expensive toy in the world.
More expensive that his private spaceship?
For $44 billion you could pay for 453 Falcon heavy launches, and with the change you could afford to launch one old, used Falcon 9 and still have enough to buy Elon, Bezos, and Zuckerberg lunch.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”