Now what?

Chilidog

Now what?

Post by Chilidog »

My fear is that the the majority of the stupid will implement some truly horrific laws or even constitutional amendments.

I keep looking at how the rural, evangelical factions enacted prohibition and what huge failure that was.

Are the buisness interests going to allow the GOP to repeal the ACA?

You know they won't replace it.

Social security?

Environmental and workplace safety laws?
Lani

Re: Now what?

Post by Lani »

I don't know. I don't think any one knows. That's what is so scary.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

You survive. And you look at those mocking asshats straight in the eye, and show them you are still here, and that while you can bend, you will not break.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
SueDB

Post by SueDB »

As it's said in Star Wars - now your journey to the dark side is complete.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Suranis wrote:You survive. And you look at those mocking asshats straight in the eye, and show them you are still here, and that while you can bend, you will not break.
Unless you die because you lost your health care.
ImageImageImage x4
esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

I suppose the gun stores will lose a lot of business now that their customers don't have to worry about someone coming to take their guns away. Background checks? Ha! Mental Health services? Nope, defunded even more. Bankruptcies and suicides? Any bets on which direction?

It's too grim a future to contemplate. Congress already had a miserable approval rating. So now we will have a president starting out with an unprecedented disapproval rating. It doesn't make sense. I can't see any silver linings in this massive failure of our institutions. Sure, we will muddle through like many other countries that take the low road but we are going to have to face a lot of self-inflicted pain personally and collectively. More billionaires will be made fast and furiously and the poverty rate will climb just as fast. Lots of guns; very little left for butter. Russia will be out model.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Slim Cognito wrote:Unless you die because you lost your health care.
Well ok... but then you can get a starring role in the Walking Dead! :thor:
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Suranis wrote:
Slim Cognito wrote:Unless you die because you lost your health care.
Well ok... but then you can get a starring role in the Walking Dead! :thor:
Except that people die because of lack of health care. Real dead, not fantasy, make-believe tv dead. Jokes about American health care are not funny when people die. Real dead. Perhaps people living in countries who don't have the same type of health care we do don't see the real deaths associated with it, but we do, so yeah, not funny.
esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Seriously not funny. Not even a little bit. Twenty million people, many of them chronically ill with life-threatening conditions, will lose their access to health care insurance. Rx medications are already out of reach for many of them.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well, sorry.

One of the things I sometimes got in trouble for in Dublin was the way I sometimes did macabre humour about Death, which is actually quite common about Irish country people. Like one time I hadn't seen a friend for a couple of months and When we met I said "Wow Miriam, I thought you were dead." and she got really offended. Then a person she knew who had been born in the country said "You do realise that's a saying in the country, when someone hasn't seen someone in a long time." Which it is, as people in the country were around death all the time, so Dark humour was the way to go

So yeah, I'm a durty furrener that uses black humour to process horrible things, and its part of my culture. So sorry if I gave any offence.

Its horrible what you are facing, slim.
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Goodbye America. It's been fun.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary »

Just now I had to wake up my son for school and tell him the outcome. My melting pot of races son, and try to find a way to explain how the Fuck this happened.
I've moved to redneck Kentucky and my Native American/Italian/Irish son who looks to be of Mexican descent (especially since we just moved from San Diego) is a freshman in high school and I am scared. I am actually truly scared that something will happen to him. I want to keep him home to protect him but I won't. I'll just wait all day for a call from him I pray never comes.
I've always believe decency will win in the end. I cannot make sense of this. How do I help him when I can't make heads or tails of this?
"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams
optimusprime

Post by optimusprime »

"So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause."

Gentlemen and ladies, I am retiring from the U.S. Army. Just completed my Personnel Actions request form.
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

RoadScholar wrote:Goodbye America. It's been fun.
Daily earworm courtesy of R.E.M.

It's the end of the world as we know it, but I don't feel fine.
Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary »

My son just asked if we could move to Canada instead of going to his soccer tournament this weekend. Shit.
"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams
Gnarly Goat

Post by Gnarly Goat »

This is an incredibly rough morning for all of us but I hope can step through the 5 stages of grieving quickly so we can focus on organizing and working on 2018 mid-terms.
"Don't waste time mourning. Organize." - Joe Hill
phelana

Post by phelana »

Mary Quite Contrary wrote:My son just asked if we could move to Canada instead of going to his soccer tournament this weekend. Shit.
My sixth grader asked that. Of course, she also commented she'd have to learn to speak Canadian. :brickwallsmall:
No, dear, they speak English and French.

Great my job may never start. The emergency psych unit wasn't due to open until January. Will funding be cut? Or will it be overloaded?

Seriously considering a concealed carry permit.
Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.
Gnarly Goat

Post by Gnarly Goat »

Mrs. Goat was up all night stressed about the election and all the impacts it would have on the country.

She cried when she called our oldest at college and later when she woke up our youngest to tell them how they both would have to work twice as hard and be held to higher standards than men for an equal place at the table.

She cried when she told me again about her 8th grade civics teacher who made her rewrite an essay on an ideal presidential candidate because her vision of a woman was "unrealistic" and turning the assignment "into a joke".

She cried when she worried about her Hispanic students who may not feel comfortable coming to class this week and risk falling behind.

However, she just texted me the following:
I am your girl who is one of the most resilient people you know!!! #screwthem Today will suck- but tomorrow will be better!!!
Grieve today and get motivated for tomorrow and beyond.
"Don't waste time mourning. Organize." - Joe Hill
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Suranis wrote:Well, sorry.

One of the things I sometimes got in trouble for in Dublin was the way I sometimes did macabre humour about Death, which is actually quite common about Irish country people. Like one time I hadn't seen a friend for a couple of months and When we met I said "Wow Miriam, I thought you were dead." and she got really offended. Then a person she knew who had been born in the country said "You do realise that's a saying in the country, when someone hasn't seen someone in a long time." Which it is, as people in the country were around death all the time, so Dark humour was the way to go

So yeah, I'm a durty furrener that uses black humour to process horrible things, and its part of my culture. So sorry if I gave any offence.

Its horrible what you are facing, slim.
None taken. I am devastated, but admit to a slight smile when I read your response.
ImageImageImage x4
TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

We begin to organize new coalitions. We protest. We sue. Most of all, we listen and we think. There is a large part of the American people who are hurting and see no way up. They were promised a bogus way by a carnival barker. Let's not add to the misery that they will face. Let's find reason for hope and begin to act. Let's begin to give people a reason for confidence in their governments.
Dear friends and colleagues,

Please join me in supporting our students who are organizing a peaceful rally today in the aftermath of this crushing election.

Their call to solidarity:

Donald Trump has been elected.

Immigrant communities, queer people, women, Muslims, and communities of color are directly under attack. There are people on this campus who are at risk of deportation as soon as Trump takes office.

Today, at 12 p.m., we will be having a Rally for the People at the Husky Statue by Gampel. Please come through and show that UConn as a community will denounce the racism, xenophobia, and sexism that Donald Trump represents.

Please wear black to this action and show your support. This is a non-violent direct action.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Now what?

Next FogBow meetup is at Rajah's and we all stay.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

My idiot sister had the balls to ask me and my oldest daughter to "prove" we had ever been discriminated against simply because we are women, after claiming she'd never been denied a job or unequal pay, or had any actions or comments directed against her because of her gender. She's never worked more than unskilled, part-time jobs, homeschooled her kids, and thinks God smiles on her every move because she quotes scripture on facebook.
Catislava

Post by Catislava »

esseff44 wrote:Seriously not funny. Not even a little bit. Twenty million people, many of them chronically ill with life-threatening conditions, will lose their access to health care insurance. Rx medications are already out of reach for many of them.
I'm one of those who stand to lose my health care. Before the ACA, I could not be self-employed because I could not purchase health insurance in my state due to pre-existing conditions. I could ONLY get coverage through an employer. Now I'm self-employed, but still have the same conditions, only a little bit worse. I need monthly meds for the rest of my life. Once the ACA is repealed, I'll be on the "uninsurable" list in my state again. Doesn't matter that I can AFFORD to pay -- no insurance company will sell me a policy.
Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida »

Mary Quite Contrary wrote:Just now I had to wake up my son for school and tell him the outcome. My melting pot of races son, and try to find a way to explain how the Fuck this happened.
I've moved to redneck Kentucky and my Native American/Italian/Irish son who looks to be of Mexican descent (especially since we just moved from San Diego) is a freshman in high school and I am scared. I am actually truly scared that something will happen to him. I want to keep him home to protect him but I won't. I'll just wait all day for a call from him I pray never comes.
I've always believe decency will win in the end. I cannot make sense of this. How do I help him when I can't make heads or tails of this?
telling my kids was hard. My 9 and 11 year olds were mad, my 14 year old is fucking pissed. Livingn inCanada is a bit of a buffer, but still.
Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida »

Catislava wrote:
esseff44 wrote:Seriously not funny. Not even a little bit. Twenty million people, many of them chronically ill with life-threatening conditions, will lose their access to health care insurance. Rx medications are already out of reach for many of them.
I'm one of those who stand to lose my health care. Before the ACA, I could not be self-employed because I could not purchase health insurance in my state due to pre-existing conditions. I could ONLY get coverage through an employer. Now I'm self-employed, but still have the same conditions, only a little bit worse. I need monthly meds for the rest of my life. Once the ACA is repealed, I'll be on the "uninsurable" list in my state again. Doesn't matter that I can AFFORD to pay -- no insurance company will sell me a policy.
the fact that, all along, they've said repeal and replace, but offered no replacement except to let insurance companies sell in any state, probably at any price, is telling for what's in store.

Return to “The Resistance”