#WontBeErased

Addie

#WontBeErased

Post by Addie »

The Hill
LGBTQ groups to rally in response to NYT report on Trump's gender policy proposal

LGBTQ groups on Sunday announced rallies and demonstrations in response to a recent New York Times report that indicated the Trump administration is planning to exclude transgender and nonbinary people from its legal definition of gender.

The National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE), Lambda Legal, Human Rights Campaign and other LGBTQ advocacy groups are organizing demonstrations to take place in New York City on Sunday evening and in Washington, D.C., on Monday morning.

Lambda Legal and LGBTQ advocacy group Voices 4 are set to hold a demonstration in New York City's Washington Square Park from 6-7:30 p.m., while the NCTE and Human Rights Campaign are organizing a rally to take place in front of the White House at 12:30 p.m. on Monday. ...

The Obama administration adopted a definition of gender that recognized peoples' self-definitions of their identities. The proposed definition would roll back the former president's attempts to expand civil rights for transgender people.

NCTE and Lambda Legal throughout Sunday promoted the hashtag #WontBeErased, encouraging transgender and gender nonconforming people to post photos of themselves in order to show that "transgender people can't be erased with a memo," NCTE wrote in a tweet.
Sunrise

Re: #WontBeErased

Post by Sunrise »

Not to make light of this, but since Caitlin Jenner, once a big Trump supporter, criticized him last spring, I’m not at all surprised. We know that his preferred way of avenging any perceived insult is through revenge and that’s exactly what this seems to be. :smokeears:
M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:
TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

I doubt that Trump will stop with damaging the definition of gender. His next step might affect LBG people.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
kate520

Post by kate520 »

I agree, Tollie. He seems to have gotten his sea legs and now considers the US his personal griffin* fiefdom and all of us peasants who should never make our own decisions. If he thinks LGBTQ is yucky then by god so must you.

* good one, autocorrect 🤪
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Addie

Post by Addie »

Advocate
ACLU to Immediately Sue if Trump Admin. Greenlights Trans Erasure

Reaction was swift after The New York Times reported today that the Health Department is pushing a memo to deny the existence of trans identity and move toward eliminating nearly all federal protections for gender-nonconforming people. All major LGBTQ organizations condemned the proposed policies and the American Civil Liberties Union told the Trump administration they should anticipate a furious legal battle.

"This is an attack on the very lives and existence of transgender people," James Esseks, director of the ACLU LGBT & HIV Project, said in a statement. "It is painful, it is hateful, and it will not go unchallenged. Transgender people have the right to not only exist, but to fully participate in public life. Transgender people are real and transgender lives have meaning.

"If the Trump administration moves forward with these hateful and hurtful policies, they will once again be met with opposition in courts and in communities. More and more courts are seeing that policies targeting transgender people have no place in our country. The ACLU will fight back against any efforts to use transgender people as political pawns and continue to seek full equality for transgender and nonbinary people."

A bigot at the Department of Health and Human Services, Roger Severino, is spearheading a memo that would define gender identity as immutable and defined by genitalia at the time of birth. The memo is the first step in getting all federal agencies to have consistent messaging about trans identity -- namely, that it doesn't exist -- and to roll back protections for gender-nonconforming people in public schools, universities, and in health care. The memo is partly a response to recent court decisions and Obama-era guidelines that expanded protections and rights for transgender people.

The National Center for Transgender Equality urged its followers on Sunday to donate and get involved to stop this memo from advancing.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Mid-term elections are already underway, but this ought to be an opportunity to push back as part of the campaign in the media.
voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

Sunrise wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:16 pm Not to make light of this, but since Caitlin Jenner, once a big Trump supporter, criticized him last spring, I’m not at all surprised. We know that his preferred way of avenging any perceived insult is through revenge and that’s exactly what this seems to be. :smokeears:
This is all bigger than Caitlin Jenner getting under Donnie's skin. The attack on trans people is the thin end of the wedge of an attack on all LGBTQ people and on the few legal and bureaucratic structures that protect us and that's part of the broader attack on anyone who isn't a straight white dude. The trans community is small, still generally unknown even to a lot of people who are LG or B, still often regarded as weird or gross to the broader population without, so vulnerable and easy to whip up a moral panic around. The panic will be mid-term chum to the rubes and will almost certainly function the same way in 2020 if we're all still here. This is the GWB 2004 playbook only with trans people swapped for the gays. Meanwhile, all the liberal pundits will be "We musn't run on identity politics! How will we get Joe Sixpack to vote for us?"
“It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times.”
—Ali Smith, Autumn
maydijo

Post by maydijo »

I don't have the source, but a friend of mine, whose child's partner is transitioning, told me that the Southern Baptists also voted in the last couple of days to not recognise transgendered people. So perhaps Trump's actions are just more dog whistling to his base.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

maydijo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:33 pm I don't have the source, but a friend of mine, whose child's partner is transitioning, told me that the Southern Baptists also voted in the last couple of days to not recognise transgendered people. So perhaps Trump's actions are just more dog whistling to his base.
Not to forget this is another swipe dotus can take at Obama.
voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

And if you think of it, trans people—and trans women, especially—are, with only the occasionally exception everything Trump and the GOP hate and fear the most. Who could the absolute embodiments of privileged white male patriarchy have more contempt for than people they see at the ultimate traitors to their gender?
“It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times.”
—Ali Smith, Autumn
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

voxpopuluxe wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:22 pm The attack on trans people is the thin end of the wedge of an attack on all LGBTQ people and on the few legal and bureaucratic structures that protect us and that's part of the broader attack on anyone who isn't a straight white dude. The trans community is small, still generally unknown even to a lot of people who are LG or B, still often regarded as weird or gross to the broader population without, so vulnerable and easy to whip up a moral panic around.
Also of importance, the trans community is still often see as sacrificable by many (esp older, whiter) gay and lesbian communities, something that they can show 'they really are just like everyone else' and agree with the 'broader population'. One of the key components of a wedge is picking a subgroup who's allies are unlikely to invest much energy in defending.
maydijo

Post by maydijo »

It would appear I'm wrong about the Southern Baptists taking this action recently; the only transgender resolution I could find dates from 2014. It states in part, "Resolved, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention meeting in Baltimore, Maryland, June 10–11, 2014, affirm God’s good design that gender identity is determined by biological sex and not by one’s self-perception." In language it's quite similar to the LDS Proclamation on the Family, which states, "Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose." Both completely ignore the existence of intersex individuals and, obviously, equate sex with gender.

I grew up in a small town and didn't meet a single transgendered person until I was in my 20s, when, suddenly, having moved to a red-light district, they were everywhere. (Sadly, sex work is one of the few professions that does not discriminate on the basis of gender identity. My friend whose child's partner is going through a transition? Her daughter is a physical therapist. Her patients have threatened to get her fired because of her partner's transition. That is the level of discrimination faced by the transgendered community.) Believe me, when your daily walk to pick up milk from the grocery store becomes an obstacle course in telling strangers that no, you're not working, no, you wouldn't like to go in the alley and f*ck them, no, you don't want to suck their dicks, suddenly, the idea that some people feel like they're born into the wrong body is not so confronting after all.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Think Progress
Rally against trans erasure memo at White House emphasizes strength and resilience

WASHINTON, D.C. — There may be fear about what could happen if the Trump administration implements its uniform ban on recognizing transgender people according to their gender identity, but it was not on display at Monday’s rally White House.

Organized to respond to the administration’s draft memo reported by the New York Times Sunday, the rally included more than 150 participants and highlighted a wide range civil rights organizations standing in solidarity with the transgender community.

“I’m outraged — and we’re going to beat them,” said Mara Keisling, head of the National Center for Transgender Equality, which organized the “We Won’t Be Erased” rally. She told ThinkProgress that she hopes rallies like this one and one Sunday night in New York City will show transgender people across the country that they’re not alone.

“The entire United States civil rights and human rights community is standing up with us,” she explained without hyperbole, noting the diverse array of speakers who participated in the rally.

Keisling encouraged those who want to show their support to vote and to keep speaking out. Presumably, implementing the policy would require the administration to go through a “notice and comment” period, and when that happens, she hopes trans people will tell their personal stories.

Return to “The Resistance”