Help! My Constituents Are After Me!

Slim Cognito

Re: Help! My Constituents Are After Me!

Post #126 by Slim Cognito » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:11 pm

My rep, Rooney, was scheduled to have a teleconference town hall this afternoon. I contacted his office last week to sign up, which I did via email. I received confirmation this morning that I was "in."

It was supposed to start at 4 eastern. It's is now 5:08. I've checked and rechecked my email, made sure I submitted my phone number correctly and even picked up the phone to listen for a dial tone - three times! At 4:40 I got a sales call but I quickly told the man I had to keep the line clear and hung up. I promised myself I'd sit here until 5:15. I'm starting to get suspicious...

Guess it's my own damn fault. When I spoke to the woman on the phone, requesting info to register, I told her I was concerned about the ACA.

Just sent off an email to the woman handling the registration asking, very nicely, what gives? We'll see if I get a response.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #127 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:My rep, Rooney, was scheduled to have a teleconference town hall this afternoon. I contacted his office last week to sign up, which I did via email. I received confirmation this morning that I was "in."

It was supposed to start at 4 eastern. It's is now 5:08. I've checked and rechecked my email, made sure I submitted my phone number correctly and even picked up the phone to listen for a dial tone - three times! At 4:40 I got a sales call but I quickly told the man I had to keep the line clear and hung up. I promised myself I'd sit here until 5:15. I'm starting to get suspicious...

Guess it's my own damn fault. When I spoke to the woman on the phone, requesting info to register, I told her I was concerned about the ACA.

Just sent off an email to the woman handling the registration asking, very nicely, what gives? We'll see if I get a response.

The INDIVISIBLE Guide suggests contacting the press which is hungry for stories like this.
ETA It helps that you have an email confirmation.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

GreatGrey

Post #128 by GreatGrey » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Orlylicious wrote::like:

April a longer recess and many have their Town Halls then, it's not too early to start asking and organizing for those. Great going!!

April is a giraffe.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

RTH10260

Post #129 by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:50 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
Orlylicious wrote::like:

April a longer recess and many have their Town Halls then, it's not too early to start asking and organizing for those. Great going!!

April is a giraffe.

And she has not given birth to a baby Republican 'til now :crying:

Slim Cognito

Post #130 by Slim Cognito » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:05 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Slim Cognito wrote:My rep, Rooney, was scheduled to have a teleconference town hall this afternoon. I contacted his office last week to sign up, which I did via email. I received confirmation this morning that I was "in."

The INDIVISIBLE Guide suggests contacting the press which is hungry for stories like this.
ETA It helps that you have an email confirmation.

UPDATE: At 5:35 I got a call connecting me to the town hall, 95 minutes after it was scheduled to begin. A recorded voice told me the meeting was already in progress and to please hold.

He was answering someone else's question about the ACA and its replacement. All I heard was him say something subsidies, selling across state lines and eliminating mandates because (groan) the insurance companies are telling him, if they eliminate the mandate, that will reduce costs and premiums will come down on their own (Hand To God, he said that).

Francis Rooney really is an A1 douche bag.

The next question was about veterans and could they get an EBT type card to take to their regular doctor to use for Rx refills. Rooney hadn't heard of that but said he'd look into it.

The next question was about the Medicare donut hole and negotiating drug prices. He said he was for negotiating drug prices.

Next was about Planned Parenthood. What sounded like an older women pleaded with Rooney to keep funding for PP because it helps women with all reproductive-related health issues. He said he would not fund PP because there are more than enough clinics in the two counties, Lee and Collier, to take care of women. She asked for a list of those clinics. He said he'd put one together. She started to ask another question, and was clearly cut off.

Between questions, a recording came on asking people to vote on repeal, pressing 1 to repeal and replace, 2 not to repeal. After pressing 2, a voice came on to tell me my vote was recorded.

I was so angry about being invited 90 minutes late to the party, then hearing that woman cut off because of her PP concerns, I just hung up. I figured I wouldn't be called on anyway, since an ACA question had already been asked prior to my inclusion.

Notorial Dissent

Post #131 by Notorial Dissent » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:01 pm

One of our senators is doing telephonic by invitation only town halls from now on since he got royally ripped at the last live one he did by VERY unhappy constituents, and totally expected response he blames it on people from out of his district, except they weren't, the sign up sheets show otherwise. He was a liar and a coward when he got elected, and he hasn't changed one iota, and his constituents got what they voted for. He is very rightly skeered to get near his constituents now, and it will get worse as this administration progresses.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #132 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Slim-

Per the INDIVISIBLE guide the thing congresscritters hate the most is bad press. That is the only reason Tom Cotton had a townhall. He kept evading constituents in his small town. Two hundred constituents lined the highway in front of his office asking where he was.

Last night, my other senator used a teleconference with a voicemail box for questions not answered. His office called me today. Not perfect, but better than what you went through and a great critique for the press or Twitter. You can check the https://www.indivisibleguide.com/local-action-groups
for a local group. The ones in Arkansas are truly grassroots.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Slim Cognito

Post #133 by Slim Cognito » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:27 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:Slim-

Per the INDIVISIBLE guide the thing congresscritters hate the most is bad press. That is the only reason Tom Cotton had a townhall. He kept evading constituents in his small town. Two hundred constituents lined the highway in front of his office asking where he was.

Last night, my other senator used a teleconference with a voicemail box for questions not answered. His office called me today. Not perfect, but better than what you went through and a great critique for the press or Twitter. You can check the https://www.indivisibleguide.com/local-action-groups
for a local group. The ones in Arkansas are truly grassroots.

Thanks TRL. I've bookmarked it and will get on it first thing tomorrow.

Suranis

Post #134 by Suranis » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:36 pm

I suspect they brought you in when he was answering the ACA question becasue you had indicated an interest in that and with that covered he didn't have to call on you after that. I'm sure that has occurred to you too.

When you sleep outside to see the stars, you also support entire families of Mosquitoes.

Dolly

Post #135 by Dolly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Marco Rubio Just Got Kicked Out Of His Own Office For A Hilarious Reason

Florida’s gutless Republican Senator Marco Rubio got kicked out of his office in Tampa for avoiding his constituents.

The Washington Post reports that hundreds have committed to protesting outside his offices every week, and that has irritated the landlord enough that he kicked Rubio out. Here is the proof that local activism works:

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and his staff have been booted out of his office in Tampa because of continued weekly protests outside the building.

The owner of the Bridgeport Center, which has been renting the space to Rubio since 2014, has decided to not renew the lease because rallies have cost the company money and have become too disruptive for other tenants, Jude Williams, president of America’s Capital Partners, told the Tampa Bay Times.

The office needs to be emptied by Thursday, and it appears the senator has yet to find new headquarters in Tampa.

The inconvenience caps off ten-day period where Florida’s junior GOP Senator shamelessly pretended to be in Europe to avoid his constituents and was caught in a viral video (below) complaining to a Miami Democratic Party member that town halls are “stupid” because citizens are angry at him for being a terrible public servant. <SNIP>

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/03/02/m ... us-reason/

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RTH10260

Post #136 by RTH10260 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Dolly wrote:

Florida’s gutless Republican Senator Marco Rubio got kicked out of his office in Tampa for avoiding his constituents.
:snippity:

:lol: Who needs real offices in the age of information technology :?:

Dolly

Post #137 by Dolly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:50 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Dolly wrote:

:snippity:

:lol: Who needs real offices in the age of information technology :?:

Offices are convenient for constitutes.
There have been weekly rallies in my county (San Diego) to confront Duncan Hunter and Darrel Issa to hold townhall meetings.

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RVInit

Post #138 by RVInit » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56 pm

The demographics of the Tampa area sort of explains why chicken shit would have his offices there. He could also set up shop in Okeechobee County, that's the same county that I always said would have carried George Zimmerman out of the courthouse on their shoulders and given him a parade after a 5 minute "deliberation". I'm sure that county would suit Rubio just fine, although they don't have fancy restaurants where he can spend taxpayer money when he comes, so there's that.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

RTH10260

Post #139 by RTH10260 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Vote Him out Drowns Cheers for Obamacare Repeal Out - Sweet Music from Texas
Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX), the chair of the House Rules Committee, faced a raucous crowd at a town hall event in Texas on Saturday as he attempted to explain Republicans' plan to repeal and replace Obamacare.

Before taking questions, Sessions used a slide show presentation to explain Republicans' legislation to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act to a crowd of about 2,000 people, according to the Texas Tribune. As he was met with shouts, Sessions at one point told the crowd, "It’s obvious to me that if we continue this, no member of Congress will want to meet with people."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1patLNB6tm4

Addie

Post #140 by Addie » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:07 pm

Think Progress

Facing angry constituents, more Republicans voice concern over Trumps Russia ties ...

Rep. Andy Harris (R-MD) represents an area of Maryland’s Eastern Shore that is the definition of a safe district. The conservative congressman—Maryland’s only federally elected Republican—won reelection last year with 67 percent of the vote, and Donald Trump carried the district with 62 percent of the vote.

You wouldn’t think so, judging by the crowd that turned up at his town hall event on Friday. Angry constituents demanded answers about why Harris supported defunding Planned Parenthood and the repeal of the Affordable Care Act—positions Harris continued to defend, to a chorus of boos. They did manage to coax out a call for a thorough investigation into the Trump administration’s ties to Russia, leaving open the possibility for an independent investigation.

“If we can’t get information, if for some reason is biased, I want an unbiased investigation,” he said. House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-CA) is facing calls to resign his position after a series of puzzling decisions that potentially compromised the integrity of the congressional hearings.

“I support investigating it, I want to know what they find. I want to hear some of the testimony, and then I’ll decide,” Harris said of a possible independent investigation.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Notorial Dissent

Post #141 by Notorial Dissent » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:13 pm

One of the true joys of the defeat of TrumpNoCare was our asswipe of a senator who ran commercials/political announcements over the weekend after the implosion taking credit for helping LaRump pass the new caring and concerned legislation. I thought it was really hilarious him signing on for the failure. I am really hoping that the next election cycle will see those resurrected to come back and haunt him out of office.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Addie

Post #142 by Addie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:20 am

Talking Points Memo

GOP Lawmakers Have Lot Of Explaining To Do Back Home About O'care Debacle

Congressional Republicans had originally intended to return to their districts for the April recess riding high on the victory of fulfilling their years-long promise to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

Instead, they are returning empty-handed, and will spend the next two weeks inundated by frustrated constituents from all sides of the political spectrum, forced to explain why they haven't been able to pass a bill—or even finish writing one—despite control of both chambers of Congress and the White House. ...

Behind the scenes, however, Republicans admit they have no viable plan to bring moderates and conservatives together. The latest proposal to attempt to bridge the gap would funnel people with serious illnesses and other pre-existing conditions into something resembling state high-risk pools, which would receive $15 billion over a 9-year period in federal subsidies—far less than the most conservative estimates for how much would be needed to cover that population.

The amendment, unveiled just a couple hours before an emergency session of the House Rules Committee on Thursday, angered the committee's Democrats, who accused Republicans of putting on a cynical show for political cover. ...

Adding to the pressure cooker environment are plans by the national political organizing group Indivisible to keep the heat on Republicans over recess, packing nearly 70 town halls across the country to demand an end to the effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Chilidog

Post #143 by Chilidog » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:36 am

Crowd chants 'you lie' at Joe Wilson's town hall: report

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ll-meeting

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :boxing: :boxing:

Addie

Post #144 by Addie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 am

I love it! :lol:

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #145 by Addie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:33 pm

Shareblue

Vulnerable GOP Rep. jeered at town hall for opposing independent Trump-Russia investigation

Rep. Ryan Costello (R-PA) had his feet held to the fire at a town hall meeting over his opposition to an independent probe into Donald Trump’s alliance with Russia during the 2016 presidential election.

Asked about the dire need for an independent investigation, after House Republicans have botched their effort thus far, Costello told constituents, “At this moment in time, I don’t believe we need an independent commission.” According to CNN reporter Eric Bradner, who attended, Costello was “jeered” for his weak response.

The investigation led by the House Intelligence Committee is currently in a tailspin, as Rep. Devin Nunes, the chairman, was recently forced to step down from the Russia probe. Nunes attracted intense criticism as he issued public statements defending Trump and indulging his conspiracy theory about being wiretapped by President Obama. ...

Costello’s decision to make a Trump-friendly argument about the issue in front of his district could hurt him soon. While Pennsylvania went for Trump in 2016, Costello’s home turf, the 6th Congressional district, went to Hillary Clinton.

¡Qué vergüenza!

kate520

Post #146 by kate520 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Half these guys are unintelligible and practically illiterate when explaining themselves. Joe Wilson:

"By having the ability of buying insurance across state lines, association health plans and by increasing the ability of health savings accounts, we would provide choice that ObamaCare simply has not presented," he said. "And it wouldn't impact employment, it would give them more choice as well."

Health savings accounts have abilities? It wouldn't impact employment? Who is he kidding?

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

NotaPerson

Post #147 by NotaPerson » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:34 pm

Not to mention that there was nothing in the Trump/Ryan plan about allowing insurers to sell across state lines.

As the crowd said: "You lie!" 8-)

ZekeB

Post #148 by ZekeB » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:35 pm

The "abilities" of health savings accounts need funding from somewhere. All an HSA does is give you a tax break. The same could be done if they'd simply make health care expenses fully deductible. Right now you need to hit the 10% threshold and that's if you use Schedule A. Geez, it's easier to deduct charitable contributions. Between Medicare insurance contributions, a supplemental policy and a $2500 co-pay/deductible Medicare-covered event I had nearly $5000 in medical expenses last year. How much did I get to deduct? Nada.

Addie

Post #149 by Addie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 am

Tulsa World

Rep. Markwayne Mullin cancels town hall in Tahlequah over 'safety concerns,' says event will be rescheduled

U.S. Rep. Markwayne Mullin canceled a town hall meeting in Tahlequah on Tuesday night because of “safety concerns.”

Oklahoma’s 2nd District congressman first announced the cancellation on his Twitter account. He later released a statement explaining the action.

“Over the past few weeks, we have seen an escalation of protesters at congressional town halls across the nation. We have even seen them right here in the Second District. I have continued to hold town halls and answer questions from constituents across the district, including those who have been vocal in their disapproval of my positions,” Mullin said in the statement.

“It is my intent to provide a safe environment for all attendees, which is why we have established protocols at each of our town halls to ensure each person’s voice can be heard. Despite working with the venue, we could not reach an agreement using our protocols that guaranteed the safety of everyone, so I chose to cancel the town hall after much consideration.

¡Qué vergüenza!

ZekeB

Post #150 by ZekeB » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:25 pm

Return to “The Resistance”