Michael Avenatti

Res Ipsa

Re: Michael Avenatti

Post by Res Ipsa » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:31 pm

With great fanfare some months ago, Michael Avenatti launched a Political Action Committee named "The Fight" in keeping with his theme that the next Democratic presidential candidate should be a "fighter" (and he doesn't seem to know any existing D politicians who qualify, apparently).

The year-end report is now in.

Let's have a look under the hood of what it takes to be a "fighter":

http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/forms/C ... /#DETAILED

For the year, Avenatti took in $115,072.39 in donations, largely through ActBlue.

The PAC spent $104,944.70 and has $10,127.69 left over.

So, what does $100k of "fighting" look like? Well, it involves a lot of airfare, nice hotels, and some very nice restaurants, but there is one thing - during a mid-term election year - that "fighting" does not involve:

Donations or expenditures on behalf of any candidate whatsoever.

ALL of the disbursements - every single penny of what he got from donors - was for operating expenses. There were no direct contributions to candidates, and no independent expenditures on behalf of candidates, as shown in this part:

22. Transfers to Affiliated/Other Party Committees 0.00 0.00
23. Contributions to Fed. Candidates/Committees and Other Political Committees 0.00 0.00
24. Independent Expenditures (SCHEDULE E) 0.00 0.00
25. Coordinated Expenditures Made by Party Committees (SCHEDULE F) 0.00 0.00

30. Federal Election Activity
(a) (i) Allocated Federal Election Activity - Federal Share (SCHEDULE H6) 0.00 0.00
(a) (ii) Allocated Federal Election Activity - Levin Share (SCHEDULE H6) 0.00 0.00
(b) Federal Election Activity Paid Entirely with Federal Funds 0.00 0.00
(c) Total Federal Election Activity ( 30(a)(i)+30(a)(ii)+30(b) ) 0.00 0.00

So, "fighting" does not involve spending money to actually get anyone elected to any office anywhere.

But, you can't fight if you aren't well rested and well fed.

And to be well rested and well fed for fighting, you could do worse than to stay at any of these fine hotels:

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Hyatt House Fort Lauderdale
SLS LUX Brickell (Miami)
The Condado Plaza Hilton (San Juan)

The SLS Lux Brickell is particularly nice, as it is a condominium hotel, with one-night "studio" units available starting at $619 per night.

or to eat at any of these places:

KOMODO 801 Brickell Ave, Miami
Cecconi's 8764 Melrose Ave, West Hollywood
Craig's 8826 Melrose Ave, West Hollywood

KOMODO is conveniently located near the SLS Lux Brickell (www.komodomiami.com) and features some great night life:

David Grutman, the powerhouse behind Miami Beach’s LIV and STORY, has taken the third floor of his popular Pan-Asian eatery, Komodo Miami, and turned it into Komodo Lounge. The intimate nightlife venue boasts a full bar, bold aesthetics and special weekend programming. The hip space is full of trendsetting art work including unique pop art inspired decor by renowned artists such as Mari Kim and Hebru Brantley. To no surprise, Grutman has top tier musicians and celebrities perform, as well as both big time headliners and up-and-coming DJs who drive the Lounge's weekend programming.

And what better cuisine for "fighting" than offered by Cecconi's of West Hollywood:

http://www.cecconiswesthollywood.com/

Cecconi’s serves hand-made pasta, seafood and dishes from Italy using the finest ingredients. In addition to the flagship restaurant in Mayfair, London, Cecconi’s has outposts in Miami, Istanbul, Berlin, Barcelona and DUMBO, New York.

Remarkably, all of this "fighting" involved incurring expenses on the same day at nearby Craig's:

https://craigs.la/

Jeff Ross calls Craig's "The Olive Garden for celebrities" - a great place to see and be seen, and of course to get that critical "fighting" nutrition.

In any event, this is posted as a friendly reminder that Avenatti has done $104k of fighting and only has $10k of fight left in him.

If you donated before, then it's time to re-up, quit wasting your money on Democratic campaigns and candidates, and make sure that Avenatti can check four bags on his Southwest Airlines flight to Puerto Rico (for two) in November.

You can make those donations here, so pay up, tightwads:

https://www.thefightpac.org/

Thanks pal.

LtDansLegs

Post by LtDansLegs » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Well NOTHING says 'I'm a professional, give me money' like a wix.com donation page :rotflmao:

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:18 pm

I forgot to add that a review of the financial statements shows that Avenatti straight-up lied when he solicited donations on the proposition that he would be giving half of the proceeds from that solicitation to Beto O'Rourke.

Straight. Up. Lied.

Thanks pal.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:18 pm
I forgot to add that a review of the financial statements shows that Avenatti straight-up lied when he solicited donations on the proposition that he would be giving half of the proceeds from that solicitation to Beto O'Rourke.

Straight. Up. Lied.
Are you sure? My impression was that the split was handled at the point of contribution with Act Blue, so I wouldn't expect it to show up on Avenatti's FEC forms. (Instead, Act Blue would have given half to Avenatti's PAC and half to Beto.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:08 pm

The problem there would be the lack of donations ending in fifty cents during the relevant time:

http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/forms/C ... 041/sa/ALL

Any donation ending in a round $5 - eg 25, 75, etc. - would, if split, result in a fifty cent decimal.

Thanks pal.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:34 am

That makes sense, but I'd be more comfortable with the conclusion if I had a better understanding of how the ActBlue donation system works.

--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:34 am
That makes sense, but I'd be more comfortable with the conclusion if I had a better understanding of how the ActBlue donation system works.
Yep. They might have even returned them, since that scam was shut down fairly quickly.

However, I missed the payments to himself.....

And, he'll be having a happy Valentine's Day, apparently.....

Thanks pal.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Oh, I definitely saw those. Just wasn't surprised enough to comment. And didn't figure out mattered much anyway, since it looks like almost all the money funded his travel anyway.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:16 pm

Guess I hurted his feelings.
Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 8.16.00 PM.png

Edit: For context:
In a Tweet I can no longer see without logging out, Avenatti was gloating that Harder filed for an extension to submit his reply brief in Stormy's appeal of the SLAPP dismissal of her defamation suit against Trump. I suggested, in a reply, that publicly congratulating yourself when opponents file routine procedural motions is a bit Larry Klaymanesque.
---
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:37 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:16 pm

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 8.16.00 PM.png

Edit: For context:
In a Tweet I can no longer see without logging out, Avenatti was gloating that Harder filed for an extension to submit his reply brief in Stormy's appeal of the SLAPP dismissal of her defamation suit against Trump. I suggested, in a reply, that publicly congratulating yourself when opponents file routine procedural motions is a bit Larry Klaymanesque.
---
Cruel, but fair.

:lol:

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:49 am

Mike, he might not share your opinion about Larry Klayman, or even know who Larry is.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:01 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:16 pm
Aww, geez... You know he's sensitive.

Anywho, welcome to the club.

Thanks pal.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 am

You seem to be collecting quite a select collection of twit snubs, way to go. :thumbs:

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Feb 4, 2019

CERTIFICATION AND ORDER TO SHOW CAUSE RE CONTEMPT by Magistrate Judge Karen E. Scott. IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that Mr. Avenatti shall appear before the Honorable Virginia A. Phillips at a time and place to be set by her in a separate Order and then and there show cause, if any he has, why he should not be adjudged in contempt by reason of the facts certified herein. (jdo)

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... 3.48.0.pdf

I didn't realize he was up on an order to show cause for contempt tomorrow.

Whoa.

Thanks pal.

bob

Post by bob » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:59 pm

CERTIFICATION AND ORDER TO SHOW CAUSE RE CONTEMPT by Magistrate Judge Karen E. Scott.
For those not wishing to read the order, it concerns Avenatti's blowing the bankruptcy court (and his creditor) off. It appears Avenatti's too bizzy baning Mike D. to respond to repeated requests for documents.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:03 pm

LA Times
Michael Avenatti accused of hiding millions of dollars from bankruptcy court

Michael Avenatti hid millions of dollars from the court overseeing his law firm’s bankruptcy and used much of the money for personal compensation, a former partner alleges in new court records.

The firm, Eagan Avenatti, was required by law to file monthly reports on its income and spending during the year when it was under U.S. Bankruptcy Court protection from its creditors, starting in March 2017. Avenatti signed the reports under penalty of perjury as the firm’s managing partner and majority owner.

But the reports did not disclose that Avenatti opened six bank accounts that received millions of dollars in legal fees during the bankruptcy, his former partner claims in court documents filed Tuesday night.

The reports also divulged nothing about the personal compensation to Avenatti, which would have required permission from the bankruptcy trustee, the court papers allege.

Avenatti used some of the money for personal expenses such as $14,236 in rent for his Century City apartment, a $3,640 payment on his Ferrari, $16,000 to Passport 420, an Avenatti company that owns a Honda jet, and tens of thousands of dollars in bills for his troubled coffee company, Global Baristas, the records show.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:04 pm

bob wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:59 pm
CERTIFICATION AND ORDER TO SHOW CAUSE RE CONTEMPT by Magistrate Judge Karen E. Scott.
For those not wishing to read the order, it concerns Avenatti's blowing the bankruptcy court (and his creditor) off. It appears Avenatti's too bizzy baning Mike D. to respond to repeated requests for documents.
Correct, but that hasn't stopped the other side from helping out, because the other side found out that he's been hiding income from the trustee:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na- ... story.html

Michael Avenatti accused of hiding millions of dollars from bankruptcy court

Through subpoenas to banks, Frank obtained records that detail millions of dollars in lawsuit settlement payments, legal fees and other funds that Avenatti collected during the bankruptcy but did not disclose to the trustee, the new court records show.

In one case, Eagan Avenatti was representing ticket holders who sued the National Football League in connection with seating snafus at the 2011 Super Bowl in Arlington, Texas.

After the case was closed, a Texas lawyer told Avenatti in a May 2017 email that he was ready to transfer $1.4 million to Eagan Avenatti, the court records show.

Avenatti responded with wiring instructions that split the money, with $409,000 directed to a firm account that was disclosed to the bankruptcy trustee and $953,000 to an undisclosed account controlled by Avenatti.

Thanks pal.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:22 pm

He sounds like presidential material more and more with every passing day! :lol:

Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

#ThanosDidNothingWrong

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:30 pm

And.... Boom:

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... 3.51.0.pdf

EA was counsel of record for Greg Barela in a lawsuit entitled Barela v. Brock USA, LLC, Case No. 8:15-cv-779 (“Barela”) filed in U.S District Court for the Central District of California in May 2015. (Frank Decl., ¶ 44, Ex. 41.) The lawsuit was compelled to arbitration before the Judicial Arbiter Group, Inc. in Colorado. (Id.) During the bankruptcy, on or about December 28, 2017, Avenatti opened another undisclosed “client trust account” at CNB (5566). (Frank Decl., ¶ 45, Ex. 30.) On January 5, 2018, this account received a wire of $1.6 million from Brock USA LLC. (Id., Ex. 42.) The wire states the payment was for the “Brock USA 2018 Settlement Payment”:

The day earlier, on January 4, 2018, Avenatti deposited into the same newly opened client trust account at CNB (5566) a check from the Judicial Arbiter Group to EAfor $11,718.75 – which according to memo line on the check was for “Barela v. Brock.” (Frank Decl., Ex. 44.

THAT'S why he was hiding the money from Barela too!

Thanks pal.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:16 pm

I thought - and still think - that Avenatti's conduct in using his client's cases to advance his political aspirations created a conflict of interest and was unethical. But that's small potatoes compared with the allegations in the Barela lawsuit. And those allegations turn out to be only a minor part of the scheme outlined in the motion in the bankruptcy case.

If even 10% of the allegations are found to be true, Avenatti is well into disbarment territory. Beyond that, I've got no idea if he's allegedly entered the kind of area where he might face bankruptcy fraud or related charges. I think that's more jonbeck's wheelhouse; hopefully he'll be able to give us more of an idea of how to read these latest filings.

--

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:22 pm

So WHY didn't someone tell me hidden bank accounts for stolen client settlements was the way to make the big bucks in law? :madguy:

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:17 pm

OH MY GOD THE DUMBFUCK TRANSFERRED MONEY FROM HIS PAC INTO HIS ATTORNEY CLIENT TRUST ACCOUNT
Edit: Oh, and he paid money to his girlfriend from the trust account.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:10 am

OK, more calmly.

I decided to buy and look at the exhibits to the filing in the bankruptcy filing. In part, that's because Orlylicious' earlier comments about innocent until proven guilty did hit home a little bit, and I wanted to be as sure as possible before making statements about Avenatti based on filings from an opposing party. (And, if I'm honest, it's also based in part on me being in a major procrastination mood right now.)

Here's what I've found so far. I'll probably post images backing this up on Twitter later; for now, here are page references and links to the docket filings.

Money to girlfriend:
I've found three instances where Avenatti transferred money to Mareli Miniutti from a client trust account. Pages 44 and 51 of this pdf:
https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... 1.3_11.pdf
and page 30 of this pdf:
https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... 51.4_3.pdf

(I'm sure I don't need to refresh anyone on who Miniutti is.)

So either he was sleeping with a client, or paying his girlfriend from an account that is only supposed to contain client money. Bad either way.

Money from PAC:
There are two payments into his client trust account that are labeled as being from his PAC. One for 19,914.15, and another a week or so later for 8,711.23.
(Page 28 of this one: https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov ... 51.4_3.pdf)

According to what he told the FEC, those two sums were reimbursement for "food/beverage/lodging/transportation" - so either he was depositing reimbursements for personal expenditures into his client trust account or he was lying to the FEC about where money was going. Again, bad either way.
http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/forms/C ... 041/sb/ALL

None of that, by the way, was mentioned in the motion, at least as far as I can tell.

--

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:42 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:17 pm
OH MY GOD THE DUMBFUCK TRANSFERRED MONEY FROM HIS PAC INTO HIS ATTORNEY CLIENT TRUST ACCOUNT
I thought you'd like that filing.

He's something of a menace.

Thanks pal.

jmj

Post by jmj » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:34 am

Wow. It's starting to look like the possibility of a domestic violence charge is going to be the least of his worries pretty soon...

Return to “The Resistance”