Gen. John Kelly

Addie

Gen. John Kelly

Post by Addie »

WaPo
John Kelly, Trump’s new chief of staff, ‘won’t suffer idiots and fools’

Twelve days after Donald Trump’s election victory, the president-elect asked John Kelly to meet with him at the stately Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J., to discuss the roles of secretaries of State and Homeland Security.

It was a small gathering. Present was Reince Priebus, the Republican Party chair who later became White House chief of staff, a post that he resigned this week. Also attending was Steve Bannon, Trump’s chief strategist. Kelly, like other retired generals, impressed the president-elect, enough so that soon he’ll leave his post atop the Department of Homeland Security to replace Priebus in the West Wing.

That meeting last November launched what has become one of the president’s most important relationships within his beleaguered administration. He likes Kelly. He trusts Kelly. But what remains to be seen is whether Trump will listen to him as Kelly seeks to bring order to a White House beset by chaos.

After it was announced that Priebus would be leaving, a friend of the Homeland Security secretary told The Washington Post that Kelly, a tough talking Bostoner who spent 45 years in the Marines, is ideally suited to confront the challenges he’ll face.

“He knows how to do this: with common sense and good leadership,” said Kelly’s longtime friend, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to offer frank opinions. “He won’t suffer idiots and fools.”
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Re: Gen. John Kelly

Post by Addie »

Defense.gov: Biography: John F. Kelly, Former Commander, U.S. Southern Command
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I heard two different opinions last night by talking heads on whether Kelly would be able to rein 45 in as Chief of Staff. One was that his background would allow him to rein him in; the other was that it will never happen. I'm going with the latter.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Addie wrote:WaPo :snippity:
After it was announced that Priebus would be leaving, a friend of the Homeland Security secretary told The Washington Post that Kelly, a tough talking Bostoner who spent 45 years in the Marines, is ideally suited to confront the challenges he’ll face.

“He knows how to do this: with common sense and good leadership,” said Kelly’s longtime friend, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to offer frank opinions. “He won’t suffer idiots and fools.”
So, in an environment that is by definition 100% political, the President is an outsider from the scammy side of the business world, with no understanding of politics, and he chooses a general whose background is in the military.

This is part of the nutjob mentality: that the best way to do politics is to have non-politicians come in and do "common sense". Unfortunately, those folk find that the command-driven top-down approach of business doesn't actually work in politics. But, of course, that's not their fault!

And if Kelly won't suffer fools and idiots, he is going to be a very lonely man in Trump's White House.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I'll say.
Sam the Centipede wrote:And if Kelly won't suffer fools and idiots, he is going to be a very lonely man in Trump's White House.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico
Why Priebus was destined to fail ...

In retired Marine Corps General John Kelly, Trump has now turned to the kind of military strong man he thinks he wants, one he hopes will kick keisters and take names. But the president might want to be careful what he wishes for. There is a model for that kind of chief of staff, and it’s probably not one that Trump would be comfortable with. Dwight Eisenhower’s chief aide, former Governor Sherman Adams of New Hampshire wielded so much influence that he was known as “The Abominable No Man.”

After Eisenhower’s 1955 heart attack, the perhaps apocryphal story made the rounds that one Democrat had said to another, “Wouldn’t it be awful if Eisenhower died and Nixon became president?” only to have his friend reply, “Wouldn’t it be awful if Sherman Adams died and Eisenhower became president?” There will never be any doubt about who’s the real boss in the Trump White House.

If Kelly is really to bring order to the West Wing, reining in feuding advisers like Steve Bannon and the voluble new communications director Anthony Scaramucci – who have anything but the “passion for anonymity” that Franklin Roosevelt sought in his aides -- may well be the least of his worries. Each day brings fresh evidence that the most unpredictable, undisciplined figure in this administration is the president himself. The very manner of Kelly’s surprise appointment – announced without warning in a presidential tweet – might give any new chief of staff pause.

A White House chief of staff has many functions, from cheerleader to flak catcher. But if he is to be an effective quarterback, his president has to give him the ball. It seems far from clear that Donald Trump is willing to share the football with anyone. Will Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump report to the president, or to Kelly? Scaramucci has already said he answers directly to Trump. What does that portend for Kelly’s authority before he even takes the job? ...

Of course, there is also only so much any chief of staff can do to impose order on a president who doesn’t really want it.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

No one can succeed with a chaos generator like Trump. He's like the alcoholic pissed off because he got fired from his job, his car was repossessed and he keeps tripping over the empty Jack Daniels bottles on the floor- somebody else is at fault.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

LaRump may "like" Kelly, but then again Kelly hasn't done anything to really come to LaRump's notice as far as I can see. That will change now that he is COS, because eventually he will be in conflict with his bud, and then the honeymoon will be over. LaRump doesn't want advice, he wants slavish obedience and absolute loyalty. I don't think that is something he will get from Kelly unless I greatly misjudge him. I don't expect this to be a long or happy relationship.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Addie wrote:WaPo
John Kelly, Trump’s new chief of staff, ‘won’t suffer idiots and fools’

:snippity:
I see the mootch clashing with Kelly.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Somehow I doubt he'll get along with Bam Bam as well.

Notorial Dissent

Then there's the über idiot and fool, the Clown in Chief. He's the one he'll have the most problem with, I think, but the others yeah too, also.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Sam the Centipede wrote:the President is an outsider from the scammy side of the business world, with no understanding of politics
He has no understanding of business, either. Believe me.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I don't know much about Kelly. I wonder how well he will tolerate typical, political ratfuckery as practiced by this administration.

Addie

Post by Addie »

USA Today
Trump's new chief of staff affirms Russia's election meddling

WASHINGTON – Even as President Trump continues to equivocate on Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election, his new chief of staff as recently as last week took a strong public stand affirming the U.S. intelligence community's conclusion that the Kremlin tried to influence the election in favor of Trump.

Trump announced Friday he is replacing his chief of staff, Reince Priebus, with retired Marine Corps general John Kelly, his Homeland Security secretary. But it's unclear whether the two will see eye to eye on one of the major issues dogging Trump's White House.

Last week, at the Aspen Security Forum, Kelly was among several top national security officials who backed the government's conclusion that Russia carried out a campaign of cyberattacks and fake news to influence the election in favor of Trump.

Kelly joined CIA Director Mike Pompeo, White House Homeland Security and Counter-terrorism adviser Tom Bossert and Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats who all expressed their support last week for the intelligence community's findings.

Yet Kelly now walks into a White House where the president and his top staffers have been consumed by questions about the Trump campaign's contacts with Russia and an ongoing Justice Department inquiry into possible coordination between the campaign and Moscow.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Chilidog wrote:I don't know much about Kelly. I wonder how well he will tolerate typical, political ratfuckery as practiced by this administration.
Remember when the Travel Ban first came out and there was an issue of whether it applied to green card holders. Kelly said, "No, it doesn't." Bannon went to him and said, "Yes it does." Kelly said, "You aren't in my chain of command, get out of my office and don't ever try to tell me what to do again" or words to that effect.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Dan1100 wrote:
Chilidog wrote:I don't know much about Kelly. I wonder how well he will tolerate typical, political ratfuckery as practiced by this administration.
Remember when the Travel Ban first came out and there was an issue of whether it applied to green card holders. Kelly said, "No, it doesn't." Bannon went to him and said, "Yes it does." Kelly said, "You aren't in my chain of command, get out of my office and don't ever try to tell me what to do again" or words to that effect.
I drafted a handwritten thank you note to Kelly for that.
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

AndyinPA wrote:I heard two different opinions last night by talking heads on whether Kelly would be able to rein 45 in as Chief of Staff. One was that his background would allow him to rein him in; the other was that it will never happen. I'm going with the latter.
I'm with the gang on this. Kelly could be the best qualified person in the world for CoS, but there isn't a person alive (outside of Russia) that could make Trump take his advice.
ImageImageImage x4

Notorial Dissent

I think herding cats would be magnitudes easier and more productive than trying to advise and guide LaRump. I hope he likes a steady diet of abuse embarrassment and frustration because that is what he has to look forward to.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Slim Cognito wrote:
AndyinPA wrote:I heard two different opinions last night by talking heads on whether Kelly would be able to rein 45 in as Chief of Staff. One was that his background would allow him to rein him in; the other was that it will never happen. I'm going with the latter.
I'm with the gang on this. Kelly could be the best qualified person in the world for CoS, but there isn't a person alive (outside of Russia) that could make Trump take his advice.
On point!

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Notorial Dissent wrote:I think herding cats would be magnitudes easier and more productive than trying to advise and guide LaRump. I hope he likes a steady diet of abuse embarrassment and frustration because that is what he has to look forward to.
Ah! I have the explanation, the Russians can herd cats, behold the Moscow Cat Theater!

I imagine the Russians display the same humane attitude to their cat circuses as they do to their White House circus. :sarcasm:
Like it or not, many countries and cultures have more, ah, robust approaches to animal welfare than some of us in the modern western world do. I saw a bear perform at a circus in Moscow in the 1980s, gosh, that was miserable. A writer on Chinese cuisine commented that the word for animal in (some variant of) Chinese translates as "moving thing" and she felt that might be reflected in the unconcern she saw about distressed animals, especially food animals.

raicha

Post by raicha »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Ah! I have the explanation, the Russians can herd cats, behold the Moscow Cat Theater!
Thanks for that!

Tiredretiredlawyer

I have an idea niggling in my head bone- since Kelly proved he could stand up to Bannon on the Muslim travel ban, perhaps Trump envisions firing Bannon via Kelly "thinking" he will be safer from the Bannon/Mercer wrath.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I showed that to Leon and Abbaloony, but they decided to teach me how to do tricks instead. :bag:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Tiredretiredlawyer

Foggy wrote:I showed that to Leon and Abbaloony, but they decided to teach me how to do tricks instead. :bag:
Like how to fill a food bowl with a single flick of the cat tail?

vic

Post by vic »

I guess I was wrong.
Edit: :nope: it's CGI (edit by Gracie)

Return to “Trump Administration”