Trump’s Russian Laundromat

Addie

Trump’s Russian Laundromat

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 am

This article is dated yesterday, though I feel like I've read it before. It pulls together the history of the Donald and the Russian mob. Worth reading in its entirety.
New Republic: Trump’s Russian Laundromat

How to use Trump Tower and other luxury high-rises to clean dirty money, run an international crime syndicate, and propel a failed real estate developer into the White House.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Chilidog

Re: Trump’s Russian Laundromat

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:48 am

This.

This is what will bring Trump down.

Boorish behavior and political ratfucking won't.

Financial shenanigans with the Russian mob will.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:58 am

Trump can pardon his crime family members and possibly himself from federal crimes. But lots of these financial crimes are state crimes, too. New York will have no interest in holding off except to keep from interfering with Bob Mueller's team.

At some point I believe Trump will be indicted in New York and face trial for state crimes.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:01 pm

I agree. :like:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:At some point I believe Trump will be indicted in New York and face trial for state crimes.

¡Qué vergüenza!

jonbeck

Post by jonbeck » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:05 pm

I have also though the voting issue, while important, is a distraction. There is no way a financially sketchy guy like Trump can be involved in NY construction and not have mob skeletons in his closet

Same issue is going to bring Jared down

GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Just think, some of the shady people Trump did shady things for/with are either dead or have fallen out of favor with their benefactors. Money laundering is clandestine by it's very nature but you know who has detailed records? People who are dead or out of favor are very easy to throw under the bus leaving Trump the one with the very most to lose if those records are made public. In a word, kompromat.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:18 pm

GlimDropper wrote:Just think, some of the shady people Trump did shady things for/with are either dead or have fallen out of favor with their benefactors. Money laundering is clandestine by it's very nature but you know who has detailed records? People who are dead or out of favor are very easy to throw under the bus leaving Trump the one with the very most to lose if those records are made public. In a word, kompromat.
Trump is obese, and doesn't exercise. I don't want to say he's OLD, but he's not young and healthy. How hard would it be to stress him to the point where he has a heart attack?

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:57 am

not sure where to place this, but this document cloud link floated down my twitter feed: 2015 lawsuit relating to Russian company & hacking + dissemination. Defendent: Rinat Akhmetshin
http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... B-v-v.html
via Adam Parkhomenko Verified account

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:18 am

Addie, David Cay Johnson has been following and writing about Trump's Russian Mob ties for a long time, decades. He's written a book about Trump and many articles in which bad guys feature.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks, Kate, I have David Cay Johnson's book. Also, too, Wayne Barrett (RIP).
kate520 wrote:Addie, David Cay Johnson has been following and writing about Trump's Russian Mob ties for a long time, decades. He's written a book about Trump and many articles in which bad guys feature.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Bloomberg Op Ed
Trump, Russia and a Shadowy Business Partnership ...

Trump has repeatedly labeled Comey's and Mueller's investigations "witch hunts," and his lawyers have said that the last decade of his tax returns (which the president has declined to release) would show that he had no income or loans from Russian sources. In May, Trump told NBC that he has no property or investments in Russia. "I am not involved in Russia," he said.

But that doesn't address national security and other problems that might arise for the president if Russia is involved in Trump, either through potentially compromising U.S. business relationships or through funds that flowed into his wallet years ago. In that context, a troubling history of Trump's dealings with Russians exists outside of Russia: in a dormant real-estate development firm, the Bayrock Group, which once operated just two floors beneath the president's own office in Trump Tower.

Bayrock partnered with the future president and his two eldest children, Donald Jr. and Ivanka, on a series of real-estate deals between 2002 and about 2011, the most prominent being the troubled Trump Soho hotel and condominium in Manhattan.

During the years that Bayrock and Trump did deals together, the company was also a bridge between murky European funding and a number of projects in the U.S. to which the president once lent his name in exchange for handsome fees. Icelandic banks that dealt with Bayrock, for example, were easy marks for money launderers and foreign influence, according to interviews with government investigators, legislators, and others in Reykjavik, Brussels, Paris and London. Trump testified under oath in a 2007 deposition that Bayrock brought Russian investors to his Trump Tower office to discuss deals in Moscow, and said he was pondering investing there.

"It's ridiculous that I wouldn't be investing in Russia," Trump said in that deposition. "Russia is one of the hottest places in the world for investment."

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:33 am

Slate
Maybe What Russia Wants From Trump Is Permission to Launder Its Dirty Money

Bloomberg reported Thursday that special counsel Robert Mueller is investigating Donald Trump's business connections to Russia. "The roots of Mueller’s follow-the-money investigation lie in a wide-ranging money laundering probe launched by then-Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara last year," the Bloomberg story says, attributing this information to "someone familiar with the developing inquiry but not authorized to speak publicly." (Bharara was fired from his job in March.)

Meanwhile, new reports about the individuals who attended Donald Trump Jr.'s infamous Trump Tower meeting last June all seem to have one thing in common: dirty money. ...

There has been much discussion in recent months about whether the Democratic fixation on the Russia scandal is a distraction from less abstract and more materially pressing issues. And while it is certainly fair to point out that the Obamacare repeal bill currently looming in the Senate will have a more immediate impact on the lives of Americans than any findings in Mueller’s investigation, the backgrounds of the participants in the Don Jr. meeting speak to a larger question that's in fact quite relevant to the United States at this particular moment: Whether millionaires and billionaires here and abroad have the right to do whatever they want without answering to anyone.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Esquire - Charlie Pierce
Trump's Warning to Mueller Proves, Again, That It's All About the Money

It is about the money because it always has been about the money, and, because it always has been about the money, we suspect that the hounds now are baying loudly at the doors of the Kompromat Laundromat. This is how it could have happened: The Trump Organization, reportedly deeply in debt, needed money and couldn't get a loan from a U.S.-based bank. Meanwhile, the vicious Russian kleptocratic elite had a lot of dough it needed cleaned and was washing it through Deutsche Bank and through banks in Cyprus, an underrated spot for such enterprises. It was a profitable relationship for both parties: Both of the older Trump boys boasted in the past about how important Russian investment had been in maintaining the Trump Organization. Then Dad ran for president. Then he won. And then, by all indications, the bills came due. ...

We can safely assume that special counsel Robert Mueller is looking into all of this, and more, but the outline of the essential corruption never has been clearer. The Trumps needed money and the Russians needed to clean a lot of it. Cui bono? Res Ipse loquitur. All of the rest of it, the dodging and weaving and, most recently, the unveiled threats to fire Mueller and unilaterally end the investigations, the almost blithe assault on all democratic norms and institutions, spin out from the possibility that Donald Trump needed money to continue to be Donald Trump to the world, and to himself, and that the easiest place to get that money was from the Russians. ...

His entire presidency has been an exercise in playing chicken with the other institutions of government, and, by and large, because they are controlled by his own party, which is composed now of the most conspicuous public cowards in the history of the Republic, he's won every time. Why wouldn't he try it again? The Post story was somebody's idea of a warning shot. That it was handled clumsily should surprise nobody. But it was a warning shot nonetheless. Don't go near the money because it always has been about the money. His whole life. His whole image of himself. His delusions of grandeur. It always has been about the money.

Right now, we are stumbling in the dark into a constitutional crisis. During Watergate, the crisis existed in plain public sight from the moment that Alexander Butterfield told the Ervin committee about the White House tapes. There was a clear path forward. The two sides of the fight were clearly drawn and, by and large, it was a fight between the executive and the legislative that bled into a fight between the executive and the judiciary, and that finally was settled back in the legislature again, where it belonged. In this one, the legislative branch of the government has withdrawn disgracefully from the fray, so the fight is carried on anonymously between factions of the executive who are trying to save themselves. Mueller's investigation exists outside of the three formal institutions of government, but it is hostage to one of them anyway. When Richard Nixon fired Archibald Cox, which caused the instant decapitation of the Department of Justice, it was a bolt from the blue, but pressure inside and outside the rest of the government forced Nixon to appoint Leon Jaworski, who finally got the tapes and ran him to ground. ...

Of course it will be obvious and clumsy. This is the Gilded Commode Presidency, after all. But when the smoke clears, it's going to be about the money, the way it always was with this presidency. He looks into his soul and sees a cashbox. Always did. Always will.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:34 am

WaPo
Why the Trump Organization could be Trump’s undoing

When you think of something as mundane as laundry, you don’t think of the gold-plated Trump Organization. Yet the business of selling multimillion-dollar condominiums — a sector where the Trump name looms large — is deeply entangled with a certain kind of washing.

Money laundering.

A peculiar problem of despots and crime lords the world over is how to make dirty money look clean. Years ago, a federal prosecutor in Miami told me that cocaine cowboys would take as little as 50 cents on the dollar for seemingly legitimate income, passing their money through car washes, vending machines, convenience stores and other cash-intensive businesses. They even paid elderly pensioners steep commissions to deposit drug money in their innocent-looking bank accounts, then draw it back out as honest tender.

But few laundries can match the efficiency of an eight-figure luxury condominium in New York or San Francisco or South Florida. It works like this: The holder of a great deal of tainted money sets up a shell company, funds it through the shadow banking system, then uses the shell to purchase exclusive property. Voila! No one knows where the money came from or who the buyer might be. But when the condo is eventually resold, the proceeds emerge from the spin cycle as clean as Eliot Ness.

Given the scrutiny special counsel Robert S. Mueller III is likely to bring to Trump Tower in coming months, the good news for the president is that this unsavory customer service is completely legal in most cases. Thanks to the lobbying power of the real estate industry, efforts by national and international law enforcement to crack down on corrupt money flows have scarcely touched the condo trade. Unlike bankers, who are required by law to be diligent about the sources of incoming money, condo developers and real estate agents don’t have to ask where the cabbage comes from for their all-cash sales to hidden buyers.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:38 pm

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/ ... corruption

:snippity: It would have taken only a Google search for the Trump Organization to discover that the Silk Road Group had received much of its funding from B.T.A. Bank, which, at the time of the Batumi deal, was mired in one of the largest fraud cases in recent history. The Silk Road Group had even been business partners with the central figure in the scandal: Ablyazov and the Silk Road Group were two of the owners of a bank in Georgia. I asked Cohen, who visited Georgia with Trump, if he had been concerned about the Silk Road Group’s connection to B.T.A. Bank. “I didn’t even know that B.T.A. was involved in this entire scenario up until the moment you told me,” he said. He added that he was not aware of any information about how the tower would be funded—or even “if there was going to be any funding at all.” He went on, “We had not gotten to that stage of the process. Remember, this was a licensing deal. The financing of the project was the responsibility of the licensee”—the Silk Road Group.

I recently spoke with John Madinger, a retired U.S. Treasury official and I.R.S. special agent, who used to investigate financial crimes. He is the author of “Money Laundering: A Guide for Criminal Investigators.” When I told him what Cohen had said to me, he responded, “No, no, no! You’ve got to do your due diligence. You shouldn’t do a financial transaction with funds that appear to stem from unlawful activity. That’s like saying, ‘I don’t care if Pablo Escobar is my secret business partner.’ You have to care—otherwise, you’re at risk of violating laws against money laundering. :snippity:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:02 am

Newsweek
Trump Made Millions of Dollars From Drug Money Laundering in Panama: Report

President Donald Trump made tens of millions of dollars in profits by allowing Colombian drug cartels and other groups to launder money through a Trump-affiliated hotel in Panama, according to a new investigation by the organization Global Witness.

In the early 2000s, Trump was having financial difficulties and began selling his high-profile name to real estate developers around the world, the report said. One of these developed Panama’s Trump Ocean Club International Hotel and Tower.

The report said the drug cartels purchased hotel units to hide the origins of money earned through drug trafficking and other criminal activity, and Trump is estimated to have earned tens of millions of dollars from the deals. ...

Numerous investigations have shown that Trump rarely looks into the people he hires or does business with. Instead, observers say he has a pattern of entering into business deals with people suspected of money laundering and corruption. The business in Panama was an example.

One of the men involved in the scheme was David Eduardo Helmut Murcia Guzmán, who a U.S. court subsequently sentenced to nine years in prison for laundering millions of dollars. Another was Alexandre Henrique Ventura Nogueira, who sold units at the Trump Ocean Club and later admitted that some of the people he did business with were members of the Russian mafia.

Trump family members were allegedly involved in directly managing the Panama project.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:05 am

correct me if I wrong, but isn't his real estate empire in jeopardy due to his knowledge of drug money being laundered through his properties?

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:06 am

¡Qué vergüenza!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:17 am

I watched the MSNBC report last night. Fascinating. Quite a thing he's got going on, licensing the name and thus a step away from what is going on with these properties and all that money laundering that is apparently going on.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Reuters: Ivanka and the fugitive from Panama

Exclusive: How an alleged fraudster in Panama, working with Donald Trump's daughter, helped make Trump's first international hotel venture a success. The broker was in business with a money-launderer and two criminals from the former Soviet Union. Then he fled.
Adding:
Think Progress: Ivanka’s signature real estate deals were disasters linked to drug cartels and money laundering

¡Qué vergüenza!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Not Trump's Russian Laundromat, but I couldn't think where to post this.

https://www.reuters.com/article/netherl ... ssion=true
AMSTERDAM, Dec 12 (Reuters) - The Dutch subsidiary of Russia’s Alfa Bank, owned by billionaire Mikhail Fridman, was searched last week as part of an investigation into possible money laundering, the Dutch financial crimes prosecutor said on Tuesday.

Amsterdam Trade Bank (ATB) is suspected of violating anti-money laundering laws by withholding information on “unusual transactions” made by clients and failing to do adequate background checks on its clients, the prosecutor’s office, FIOD, said in a statement.

“The bank’s office has been searched and accounts were seized as part of a criminal investigation”, FIOD spokeswoman Marieke van der Molen said.

ATB, part of the Alfa Bank Group, serves private clients in Russia and other parts of the former Soviet Union and had total assets worth 1.3 billion euros ($1.5 billion) at the end of last year, according to its most recent annual report.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 pm

This is from a report written by Citizen Journalists Consortium. I'm not familiar with this source and haven't read that much of it yet, but the report seems to have some good information. From page 4:
By the time he testified, Bob had moved from the NYC field office to Florida. It’s an interesting move, considering it follows the Diaspora of Semion’s mob on our shores.

Bob eventually left the FBI and set up a private consulting firm. We are uncertain whether or not this departure was a law enforcement tactic to take the heat off Bob personally, while he maintained his work with the FBI – and later with the CIA. But, we do know for certain that he never stopped hunting Mogilevich. It was the case Bob Levinson could not quit: “I’d like to finish the job.”

Hunting Mogilevich’s crime syndicate is also THE case that puts the history of Donald Trump’s business “partnerships” into context. It explains why the #TrumpRussia investigation – from the FBI to the congressional committees - has shifted from counter-intelligence to CRIMINAL. It is the “WHAT” and the “WHY” that set us off on this journey.

It also answers what lurks beneath Trump’s flailing tweets, firing of Comey, and strategic undermining of the integrity of our independent press. It is the answer that sits at the core of the Special Prosecutor’s evidence, especially if Mueller indeed has his hands on Trump’s bank records and tax returns.

While with the FBI in New York, Bob Levinson knew all about the Five Family’s and Trump Enterprises lawyer and fixer, Roy Cohn. Bob knew all about Donald Trump. He knew all about Fred Trump.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:00 pm

BuzzFeed News: Secret Money: How Trump Made Millions Selling Condos To Unknown Buyers

A BuzzFeed News review of every sale of a Trump-branded condominium in the United States provides the first comprehensive look at how many went to unidentified buyers who paid cash, an indication of possible money laundering.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:06 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:00 pm
BuzzFeed News: Secret Money: How Trump Made Millions Selling Condos To Unknown Buyers

A BuzzFeed News review of every sale of a Trump-branded condominium in the United States provides the first comprehensive look at how many went to unidentified buyers who paid cash, an indication of possible money laundering.
If they paid using paper currency then it is all but certainly the case.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:54 pm

The whole thing is a bit absurd when reverends and others go to prison for "structuring" some payments to below the banking observation limit of $10K while here millions can be moved without knowing the true origin.

Return to “Trump Administration”