All the President's golf clubs

AndyinPA

Re: All the President's golf clubs

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:27 pm

I think the difference may be that a sitting president is probably making money from this. Nixon's dead. I don't know about the living presidents, but I'm pretty sure that their libraries aren't supposed to be making money for the ex-president. The money probably goes toward the upkeep, expenses, etc.

Anyway, I think the idea of presidential libraries spread all over the country isn't such a great idea anyway. I've never been to one; probably wouldn't go to one. Going to Monticello last year was a different kind of thing. That was truly history, even with all Jefferson's flaws. And there were many, which they don't minimize too much on the tour.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Off Topic
The only Presidential Library I've been to is the JFK library, and it is very good.. especially when they have a special exhibit running..

The website (www.jfklibrary.org) is pretty informative as well..
There's no way back
from there to here

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Their is a difference between the actual library which is a branch of the National Archives and is not generally open to the public without an appointment, and the museums which are non-profits and not strictly speaking government facilities. I've been to several of them, and they're all pretty interesting.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:16 pm
Use of the presidential seal has been going on for a while. Behold the waste basket that lives by my garage work bench. It was originally bought for my bedroom, from either Gemco or K-Mart, in 1971 or 1972.
PresidentialWasteBasket.jpg
OMG! I had the same waste basket as a kid.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Off Topic
I was at the Lyndon B Johnson Library in Austin once. It was really fun, well worth visiting.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Gregg wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:31 am
I don't think so much that it is, perhaps our abhorrence for this President makes it seem so. I used to have an almost identical coffee mug from the Eisenhower Library and it never occurred to me it was distasteful.
Tacky because it’s for his profit.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:55 pm

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:54 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:55 pm
I hope it was enamel.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:53 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:54 pm
Kendra wrote:
https:// twitter.com/thehill/status/980432862716538885
The Hill @thehill
Entrance to Trump International Golf Club in Florida splattered with red paint http://hill.cm/waZvgAE

15:13 - 1 Apr 2018
I hope it was enamel.
BUT.... But.... but... then he would have to build a new wall and it's not in the budget :lol:

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:54 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:54 pm
Kendra wrote:
I hope it was enamel.
Epoxy would be better.
In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:00 pm

I was hoping for about a rail car full of Roundup on the fairways myself, but I do applaud the effort.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Suranis wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:34 pm
Off Topic
I was at the Lyndon B Johnson Library in Austin once. It was really fun, well worth visiting.
+1

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat May 12, 2018 9:35 am

https://www.scotsman.com/news/donald-tr ... -1-4738591
Donald Trump’s flagship Scottish resort received thousands of pounds in US taxpayers’ money to host VIP visits by officials from his administration, an investigation by The Scotsman can reveal. The US president’s resort at Turnberry received more than £5,600 in federal funds to provide accommodation for the trip earlier this year.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/news/donald-tr ... -1-4738591
Lots more at the link.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat May 12, 2018 9:58 am

Jim wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:26 pm
Suranis wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:34 pm
hebwas crude, uncoyluth
Off Topic
+1
I spent most of an evening there and would gladly return. I found it both inspiring and sad. LBJ did so much in civil rights and social welfare but was destroyed by his stupid commitment to the Vietnam War.

I was around him more than once when an undergraduate. He came to Austin perhaps for political gain, perhaps because he felt st home there. He seemed constantly to be available until that horrible day in 1963. Even the Secret Service was relaxed enough to permit an undergraduate to strike up a conversation. And his home on the Pedernales was not sealed off.

I think he was a good but troubled man.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sat May 12, 2018 10:35 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:58 am
:snippity:
I think he was a good but troubled man.
Off Topic
Have you read Robert Caro's epic biography of Johnson? I think LBJ did some good things, but I would never characterize him as a good man.
Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:55 am

Scotsman wrote:The source was unable to confirm whether the US officials were members of the Secret Service, but is understood the money spent included accommodation costs for a security detail accompanying the unnamed party visiting Turnberry.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/news/donald-tr ... -1-4738591
The name Pruitt comes to mind :lol:

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri May 18, 2018 6:38 am

Newsweek
Shots Fired At Trump's Miami Golf Course, One Arrested

One person has been detained after shots were fired at the the Trump National Doral Golf Club, near Miami, Florida.

According to the Doral Police Department, there are no known victims and no further threat expected. According to CBS4 News in Miami, the suspect is believed to have been shot and wounded by police during a confrontation, in which an officer was also injured.

A reporter for CBS4 News in Miami tweeted, "It is not clear if the man was armed or if he exchanged gunfire with officers. Both Doral Police and Miami Dade PD were involved. One officer was injured during the initial scuffle with police."

The Trump National Doral Golf Club was first established in 1962 in a western suburb of Miami by real estate developer Alfred Kaskel. The Trump Organization purchased the resort in 2012 for $150 million from its bankrupt owners

The purchase and renovation of the resort was financed with a $125 million loan from Deutsche Bank.
Adding:
CNN: Man yelling about the President opens fire at Trump golf resort
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 am

I'm counting down until Giuliani or someone else on Team Trump blames the actions of this deeply disturbed individual on Robert Mueller's investigation.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri May 18, 2018 11:14 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 am
I'm counting down until Giuliani or someone else on Team Trump blames the actions of this deeply disturbed individual on Robert Mueller's investigation.
Or Obama.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri May 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Kendra wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:14 am
fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 am
Or Obama.
They will find a way to work Hillary Clinton in there, I'm sure of it.

And Trump golf courses will become another one of the many places where guns aren't allowed. Funny how the GOP loves guns but they'll be damned if they will allow them at the GOP convention and many other places gun nuts like to congregate. They show their utter hypocrisy at every turn. They are only too happy to allow teenagers to be possible victims of gun violence, but no frikken way are they going to put themselves in harm's way.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 24, 2018 7:15 am

The Hill
House bill would pay back airports close to resorts frequented by Trump

The House is likely to include language in its appropriations bill for transportation spending that would require at least $3.5 million in federal funds be used to reimburse airports in Florida and New Jersey that lose money when President Trump stays at his nearby resorts, Politico reported.

The language in the appropriations bill would affect at least three airports near Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J., and Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Fla., according to Politico.

When Trump stays at one of his resorts, those airports practically close because they fall within the “no-fly zone,” Jim Coon, the senior vice president of government affairs and advocacy for the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA), told the publication.

The three airports affected by Trump’s travels are Somerset Airport in Bedminster Township, N.J., Solberg Airport in nearby Readington Township, N.J., and Lantana Airport in Palm Beach County, Fla.

The airports and their businesses told the AOPA that they lost more than $1 million a year because of Trump’s visits. They claimed Trump has stayed at either of his two resorts about 80 days in the last year.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Thu May 24, 2018 7:23 am

Addie wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:38 am
Newsweek
Shots Fired At Trump's Miami Golf Course, One Arrested

The Trump National Doral Golf Club was first established in 1962 in a western suburb of Miami by real estate developer Alfred Kaskel. The Trump Organization purchased the resort in 2012 for $150 million from its bankrupt owners

The purchase and renovation of the resort was financed with a $125 million loan from Deutsche Bank.
I'd really like to know why Deutsche has been financing these purchases. You can't give a golf course away around here. They are money pits. And while the Doral is likely to get more business then the local golf clubs in the midwest, why would any bank be willing to give such a risky loan to a notorious bankrupt? I can't shake the feeling that Deutsche is just the go-between in Trump and someone equally sleazy.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:23 am

Addie wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:15 am
The Hill
House bill would pay back airports close to resorts frequented by Trump

:snippity:
The airports and their businesses told the AOPA that they lost more than $1 million a year because of Trump’s visits. They claimed Trump has stayed at either of his two resorts about 80 days in the last year.
:shock: a quarter of a year :!:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri May 25, 2018 4:50 pm

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... -1-4741767
Women employed by Donald Trump’s flagship Scottish golfing resort are being paid bonuses worth less than half of those received by their male colleagues, The Scotsman can reveal. There are four times as many men as women occupying executive positions at the US president’s Trump Turnberry company. Management at Turnberry, one of Mr Trump’s most prestigious overseas properties, blamed the “male dominated functions” associated with golf clubs for the shortfall in female leaders and the wide bonus gap, which means women receive nearly £1,400 less than their male counterparts. But Sam Smethers, chief executive of the Fawcett Society, said the size of the company’s bonus gap “cannot be justified” or “explained away.” The internally compiled report at Turnberry - owned by the president since April 2014 and now run by his sons, Eric and Donald Jr - is believed to be the first time the gender pay gap has been disclosed at any of the Trump Organisation’s global network of firms. The figures also sit uneasy with claims by Michael Cohen, Mr Trump’s embattled personal attorney, who said the president’s business empire employed more women executives than men.

Hmph. Lost the paragraph breaks when I copied and pasted.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Fri May 25, 2018 7:11 pm

It depends on the position.
I've worked in private golf clubs, about as high end as the Mar a Lago, and I've worked in the Private Club Industry with CCA, Club Corp of America in a number of clubs in Texas.

There are a number of business models, Privately Owned and Managed, Privately Owned and handled by Management Contract, and Member Owned and Managed by Management Contract.

Within those there can be all sorts of odd contracts that came up as the Club matured and handled the switch to different management models and some positions were grand-fathered in with special needs, usually for one long term critical employee. Sometimes for a position in the model that didn't normally exist.
Westwood in Houston was a Member Owned Club that CCA got a trial contract for two years. It was a tough Club with a large Jewish membership and the kitchen had a Kosher Kitchen, and Main Kitchen, pretty much in an L shape, with a Rabbi on premise much of the time. HIs position was unique.
There was a Buffet Attendant that had been there forever and had special dispensation, and others in Operations and Security.

In a Golf Club, there is a pay scale based on importance and size of demands of the job that may seem similar but aren't.
At Glenmoor in Ohio, we had 4 kitchens servicing many areas, The Men's Locker Room, Women's Locker Room, two associated private dining areas, casual restaurant, pool snack bar and snack golf cart out of the one lower kitchen, etc.

The demand was very different for Men's and Women's facilities and similarly titled management for the "Men's" and "Women's" did not pay the same.
In this case, the Women's paid more because of the demand and number serviced.
Golf Pros earn hugely disparate rates based on reputation and membership preferences. Membership secretaries are almost all Commission, etc.
In short, I don't think someone looking at a Spreadsheet can make a determination as to what "equivalent " pay should be based on job titles alone.
The Mercury Project

Return to “Trump Administration”