All the President's Lies

Addie

All the President's Lies

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:08 am

The Star
Just like old times: Trump says 18 false things at Iowa campaign rally

WASHINGTON—U.S. President Donald Trump held a campaign rally in Iowa on Wednesday. It was just like old times.

He insulted Hillary Clinton. He insulted Chicago. He attributed a sensational claim to an unnamed buddy of his.

He floated a confusing proposal, promising to change welfare law to something that sounds identical to current welfare law. He executed a dizzying shift in rhetoric, applauding himself for appointing a former Goldman Sachs executive after railing against Goldman Sachs. And he revealed an unbaked plan — to turn his hypothetical giant wall on the Mexican border into a power-generating “solar wall” that would reduce the hypothetical reimbursement bill he still insists he will be sending to Mexico.

More than anything, though, he made things up.

Trump averages two false claims a day as president. When he was on the campaign trail, giving longer and less scripted speeches, he averaged more than 15 per day. Returning to his roots, he offered up 18 in his 70-minute speech in Cedar Rapids.

Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Addie

Re: All the President's Lies

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:14 am

WaPo
How Trump’s dubious claims make the entire government react

The words leapt from President Trump’s mind to Twitter at 8:26 a.m. on the Friday after he fired FBI director James B. Comey, setting off a cascade of activity inside and outside the federal government to figure out what, exactly, he meant. ...

Before the tapes, there was Trump’s unfounded claim that President Barack Obama “wiretapped” him in Trump Tower during the presidential campaign, setting off a flurry of official inquiries from Congress. His oft-repeated assertion during the campaign that a wall along the southern border would be paid for by Mexico is one that lawmakers in Trump’s own party believe will never come to fruition — yet they and others in the government continue to look for some way to help the president save face.

Trump has also repeatedly claimed that millions of illegal immigrants voted in the last presidential election, with no proof. Yet in an effort to validate his comments, the Trump administration has created a commission aimed at investigating his claim of widespread voter fraud.

“What happens with the president is he shoots himself in the foot, and soon the gangrene spreads to the entire body politic,” said Norm Eisen, a former U.S. ambassador to the Czech Republic and a former ethics czar in the Obama administration. “This is going to be the new normal: elements of the president’s own executive branch openly, or indirectly through leaks, responding to these false tweets.” ...

The incident highlights a new reality for Washington, which now must spring into action to bolster or rebuff presidential assertions of dubious origin and with no evidence to back them up. In many cases, the claims have had the opposite effect of what the president presumably intended — feeding into doubts about his credibility, deepening his legal woes and generating unflattering accounts that dominate the news for weeks at a time.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:13 pm

T r u m p ’ s L i e s

Many Americans have become accustomed to President Trump’s lies. But as regular as they have become, the country should not allow itself to become numb to them. So we have catalogued nearly every outright lie he has told publicly since taking the oath of office. <YUGE SNIP>
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... share&_r=0

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:20 pm

“There is beauty in truth, even if it's painful. Those who lie, twist life so that it looks tasty to the lazy, brilliant to the ignorant, and powerful to the weak. But lies only strengthen our defects. They don't teach anything, help anything, fix anything or cure anything. Nor do they develop one's character, one's mind, one's heart or one's soul.” ― José N. Harris

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

listeme

Post by listeme » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:45 am

This is really important reporting, imo, even though we know there will be a core group of his supporters that can't take it in.

The rest of us need to remember and, more importantly, not get numbed by the sheer volume of untruths, falsehoods, LIES.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:41 pm

The Star: Donald Trump has said 337 false things as president. Here are all of them

The Star’s running tally of every false claim the president of the United States of America has made, so far.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Addie wrote:
The Star: Donald Trump has said 337 false things as president. Here are all of them

The Star’s running tally of every false claim the president of the United States of America has made, so far.
Sounds low.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:53 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Addie wrote:

Sounds low.
:yeah:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

listeme

Post by listeme » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:59 pm

I think he repeats a lot of things.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:09 pm

listeme wrote:I think he repeats a lot of things.
And I count every repetition as another lie. His lies are a plague.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

listeme

Post by listeme » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Yep.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:21 am

The Hill
Time asks Trump Organization to remove fake cover from golf clubs

Time magazine has asked the Trump Organization to remove copies of a fake cover of President Trump that were on display at the company’s golf clubs, The Washington Post reported Tuesday afternoon.

The request came after the newspaper reported that at least four Trump-branded golf clubs had displayed a fake Time magazine cover that depicted Trump with the headline “Donald Trump: The ‘Apprentice’ is a television smash!”

The cover, dated March 1, 2009, was never published by the magazine at any point, a spokeswoman for Time confirmed. ...

"I think I was on the cover of Time magazine twice in my life and like six times in the last number of months," Trump said in July 2016.

"So you tell me which is more important, real estate or politics, OK? I have six for politics and I have two for real estate or whatever they put me on for."

The Post noted that Trump had actually only been featured on the magazine's cover once before entering politics, in January 1989, when he was known as a New York business mogul.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:53 am

[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:40 am

I haven't seen this one before. Well worth watching with a mix of older statements, bonus point at the end - Susan DeLemus speaks. Can't be 100% sure, but is that husband Jerry sitting next to her?

[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

bob

Post by bob » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:41 am

Kendra wrote:Susan DeLemus speaks. Can't be 100% sure, but is that husband Jerry sitting next to her?
I don't think it is him. But I do lurve that clip because DeLemus "forgot" to mention her association the president's campaign.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:38 am

NBC News
Where Did Trump Dig Up 45,000 Mining Jobs?

President Donald Trump boasted Monday that the nation added 45,000 mining jobs recently — but there's scant data to back that up. One thing there is evidence for: Only 800 coal mining jobs have been created during his tenure.

"In Pennsylvania, two weeks ago, they opened a mine, the first mine that was opened in decades....Well, we picked up 45,000 mining jobs in a very short period of time," Trump said during an event pegged to American manufacturing. "Everybody was saying, 'Well, you won’t get any mining jobs,' we picked up 45,000 mining jobs. Well, the miners are very happy with Trump and with Pence, and we’re very proud of that." ...

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates there are roughly 50,800 coal mining jobs nationwide, 800 of which have been added since Trump took office. (The six months before that, under President Barack Obama’s administration, 1,300 coal jobs were added.)

This isn't the first time we've heard Trump's numbers. Environmental Protection Agency chief Scott Pruitt made a similar claim speaking about all mining and logging jobs earlier this year, earning a PolitiFact ruling of "mostly false."
Adding:
HuffPo: 8 Minutes After Saying 'I Don't Like Pinocchios,' Donald Trump's Nose Grows

"We picked up 45,000 mining jobs,” the president claimed.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:39 pm

I suspect that Trump is not counting only the dig-dig-dig miners but also the management, and the truck drivers and haulers for the coal produced, the extra railroad employees, the sulfer processing workers, and, of course, the additional doctors and nurses to treat black lung and other mining injuries.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:27 am

WaPo
President Trump’s first six months: The fact-check tally

Shortly before reaching the six-month mark of his presidency, President Trump made an assertion and then paused that perhaps he should not be so definitive. “I better say ‘think,’ otherwise they’ll give you a Pinocchio. And I don’t like those — I don’t like Pinocchios.”

As it turned out, the president’s claim — that he has signed more bills (42) at this point than “any president ever” — was completely wrong. Just among recent presidents, he’s behind Jimmy Carter (70 bills signed), George H.W. Bush (55) and Bill Clinton (50).

So it goes with Trump, the most fact-challenged politician that The Fact Checker has ever encountered. As part of our coverage of the president’s first 100 days, The Fact Checker team (along with Leslie Shapiro and Kaeti Hinck of the Post graphics department) produced an interactive graphic that displayed a running list of every false or misleading statement made by the president. He averaged 4.9 false or misleading claims a day.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:34 pm

BuzzFeed
Donald Trump Falsely Claimed That The Crowd Size At His Boy Scout Jamboree Speech Was "Record-Setting"

During his overtly political speech to a gathering of Boy Scouts in West Virginia, Trump claimed several times that the crowd was "record-setting."

"Nineteenth Boy Scout Jamboree, wow, and to address such a tremendous group," he said at the start of his speech.

"Boy, you have a lot of people here. The press will say it's about 200 people. It looks like about 45,000 people. You set a record today. You set a record. That's a great honor, believe me," he said. ...

The organization said that while they could not estimate the exact size at Monday's event, "we can tell you the Boy Scouts of America welcomes 40,000 Scouts, Venturers, volunteers and other participants to the Summit Bechtel Reserve in West Virginia over the course of the ten-day event."

The BSA added, "This is not our largest jamboree on record. To the best of our knowledge, it was in 1960, when more than 56,000 Scouts and volunteers gathered in Colorado Springs, Colorado, for the BSA’s fifth National Jamboree."

President Dwight D. Eisenhower addressed the BSA during its 1960 jamboree.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Addie wrote:BuzzFeed
Donald Trump Falsely Claimed That The Crowd Size At His Boy Scout Jamboree Speech Was "Record-Setting"

During his overtly political speech to a gathering of Boy Scouts in West Virginia, Trump claimed several times that the crowd was "record-setting."

"Nineteenth Boy Scout Jamboree, wow, and to address such a tremendous group," he said at the start of his speech.

"Boy, you have a lot of people here. The press will say it's about 200 people. It looks like about 45,000 people. You set a record today. You set a record. That's a great honor, believe me," he said. ...

The organization said that while they could not estimate the exact size at Monday's event, "we can tell you the Boy Scouts of America welcomes 40,000 Scouts, Venturers, volunteers and other participants to the Summit Bechtel Reserve in West Virginia over the course of the ten-day event."

The BSA added, "This is not our largest jamboree on record. To the best of our knowledge, it was in 1960, when more than 56,000 Scouts and volunteers gathered in Colorado Springs, Colorado, for the BSA’s fifth National Jamboree."

President Dwight D. Eisenhower addressed the BSA during its 1960 jamboree.
Oh come on, you haters. I'm tired of this quibbling . It was clearly a record-setting crowd: largest presidential speech at a BSA National Jamboree held in West Virginia. Right there, record setting.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:51 am

The Atlantic
Trump's Vision of Lawless Order ...

Trump has portrayed himself, like Richard Nixon, as a president who can bring law and order, but on closer examination, his rhetoric is far more about order (understood in a particular way) than about law. In fact, the president often evinces an impatience with the tendency of the rule of law to get in the way of toughness and vengeance, and his dark, blood-stained speech Friday about the gang MS-13 was no different.

“They stomp on their victims and beat them with gloves; they slash them with machetes, and they stab them with knives,” Trump said. “They have transformed peaceful parks and beautiful quiet neighborhoods into bloodstained killing fields.”

The imagery was remarkable, as though Nassau County were a war zone. There have been 17 murders attributed to MS-13 on Long Island since the start of the year, though crime in Nassau in 2016 was the lowest in decades. ...

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:46 am

Vogue: The 25 Worst Lies From Donald Trump’s First 200 Days

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:06 pm

Associated Press
'No chaos,' Trump insists as he swears in new chief of staff ...

While Trump is looking for a reset, he pushed back against criticism of his administration with this tweet: "Highest Stock Market EVER, best economic numbers in years, unemployment lowest in 17 years, wages raising, border secure, S.C.: No WH chaos!"

In fact, economic growth averaged 2 percent in the first half of this year, a pace Trump railed against as a candidate and promised to lift to 3 percent. The stock market first hit a record under President Barack Obama and has kept growing. The unemployment rate, too, started to decline on Obama's watch. And wage gains have been weak.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:09 am

It turns out that Trump Sr was the author of the adoption lie that Trump Jr told to explain away his meeting with the Russians:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:47 am

Slowly. Slowly the noose tightens around OSG's neck.

Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Return to “Trump Administration”